PDA

View Full Version : For those considering building a house in the Phils.

grahamw48
28th March 2012, 20:01
I found a really interesting site full of excellent detailed practical advice. :)

http://myphilippinelife.com/category/our-philippine-house-project/

Moy
28th March 2012, 20:23
:xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
28th March 2012, 21:16
Looks like living in a jail to me.:doh

Moy
28th March 2012, 21:18
BUT at least a warm temp everytime:D:Rasp:

grahamw48
28th March 2012, 21:23
Looks like living in a jail to me.:doh

You'd need to get used to that level of security in the Philippines.

grahamw48
28th March 2012, 21:24
BUT at least a warm temp everytime:D:Rasp:

COOLER temperatures in that design though, with lower running costs....the whole idea. :)

Moy
28th March 2012, 21:39
COOLER temperatures in that design though, with lower running costs....the whole idea. :)

good input graham:D:D:xxgrinning--00xx3: MR mOY already taking notes of that links..WE do have plan to rebuild our house we left from PH..;)

andy222
28th March 2012, 21:48
You'd need to get used to that level of security in the Philippines.

I dont know Graham its like everywhere good places and bad. To be honest on the subdivision where the Mrs lives there isnt a problem. I feel safe there.

Terpe
29th March 2012, 08:55
I found a really interesting site full of excellent detailed practical advice. :)

http://myphilippinelife.com/category/our-philippine-house-project/

Great find there Graham.
Sound ideas that should help anyone considering doing there own build.
He really did his homework and got the best he could get.

His most important message:-

By the end, construction will have taken ten months. We were on-site nearly the entire ten months. There were many, many problems and frustrations. We learned a lot and we think our crew learned from us. We learned some things about Filipino culture. So, I’d say that if you are knowledgeable about building, want a project and a challenge and can be patient, hire a foreman and crew and build your own house.

If you want a relaxing, stress-free retirement, buy an existing house or try to hire a good builder, mostly stay away from the project. Move into and enjoy your completed home when it’s done — don’t watch the sausage being made. There are good builders, bad builders and all shades in between. There are practically unlimited ways for a builder to up his profits by taking shortcuts, using cheap materials, stealing and looking for kickbacks from construction supply firms . Almost all will be hidden when the house is complete. A bad builder can turn your retirement idyll into a nightmare, so choose carefully. Take the time to carefully look at several buildings built by the prospective architect/engineer/builder and interview the owners, privately if possible.

I highlighted the sentences.