PDA

View Full Version : Sunlight "D"ilemma !

Doc Alan
26th March 2012, 22:09
Most members will agree that we feel better when the weather is good, like now in the UK :).
• Happier outlook. Sunlight seems to have widespread mood-elevating effects, partly because serotonin increases when nights are short and days are long. A type of depression called Seasonal Affective Disorder affects some people during the winter when they don't get enough sunlight - psychiatrists recommend depressed individuals go outside in the sun for half an hour a day whenever possible.
• Improvement of Alzheimer's. Patients exposed to bright lighting during the day do better than those exposed to dim daytime lighting.
• Better sleep. Natural daylight helps shut off your body's production of melatonin, a hormone produced at night that makes you drowsy. This means you're more likely to feel tired at bedtime when it's dark.

• Vitamin D is a fat-soluble vitamin found naturally in cod liver oil and oily fish, added to some foods, and produced in the skin with help from the sun. The skin produces vitamin D at levels of sun exposure below those that cause sunburn. Deficiency causes rickets, osteomalacia, and other disorders. Here levels of sunlight in winter are often so low that vitamin D needs to be supplemented in the diet.

• Protection from other diseases. Exposure to UV rays may help with psoriasis, acne, and lupus, or even improve asthma.
Disadvantages -
• Sunlight contains ultraviolet (UV) rays, the main cause of skin ageing, and can cause skin cancer. It's important to protect skin against sun damage at any age, but take special care with babies, children, young people, and fair skin. A blistering sunburn before the age of 20 increases the risk of malignant melanoma, the most serious type of skin cancer. Use of sunbeds and sunlamps can also increase risk of skin cancers. Numbers of melanoma are rising in most populations with fair skin.
• Excessive sun exposure is a factor in causing cataracts.

Little and often is best in the UK. Total sun protection with high SPF sun cream all the time is not ideal.
Never be red, but the general advice is 5 or 10 minutes of unprotected sun exposure then put on sunscreen ( at least 15 depending on age, skin type, and strength of sunlight ... up to 50 ) and protective clothing .

stevewool
26th March 2012, 22:18
again, Alan a very good read, but do others take any notice, or me, yes i love to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, but its not warm enought yet to take the top of yet or to wear the shorts,

andy222
26th March 2012, 22:23
Good post doc very informative.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
26th March 2012, 22:28
thank you Doc Alan , good information, and in sync with the promising warm sunny weather just now,

temp hit 22 today pretty good for my neck of the woods, and yes a definate feel good effect :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th March 2012, 07:04
Another interesting topic. One that I have come across, face to face a couple of times. Firstly working night shifts in high latitudes (up near the artic circle or even northern scotland) where one doesn't see the sun for weeks. And my previous employer had me teaching in a room without windows, thus spending most of the day without seeing the light of day......

malditako
27th March 2012, 07:28
good post doc :)

Dedworth
27th March 2012, 08:56
Interesting info Doc. The sunshine certainly seems to give everyone a bit of an uplift. They said on the radio earlier yesterday was the hottest 26 March on record :)

raynaputi
27th March 2012, 09:31
Thanks for the post Doc! I already can wear shorts, sleeveless blouse and flipflops outside! :Jump: It's been sunny this past few days and it's great! :sunshine:

Arthur Little
27th March 2012, 12:11
I already can wear shorts

I DID, myself ... a few weeks ago ... one gloriously~warm Sun:sunshine:day!

lastlid
27th March 2012, 12:14
temp hit 22 today pretty good for my neck of the woods, and yes a definate feel good effect :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah. Whats gone wrong up there, its usually freezing? :yikes:

:D

stevie c
27th March 2012, 14:15
Thanks for the post Doc some good info there :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
27th March 2012, 14:16
again, Alan a very good read, but do others take any notice, or me, yes i love to feel the warmth of the sun on my face, but its not warm enought yet to take the top of yet or to wear the shorts,

:yikes: Im already wearing vest & shorts down here in the sunny south east :D

sars_notd_virus
27th March 2012, 17:42
Huh sun = fun nuff said:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th March 2012, 21:50
Apparently a significant proportion of the UK population has low vitamin D levels, which has resulted in a rising number of reported cases of rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults - whatever osteomalacia is. (Just been reading some NHS literature on this). This is of concern for pregnant women such that pregnant women should ensure that their own vitamin D requirement is met.....it goes on to say that people with darker skin are not able to produce as much vitamin D.

Terpe
28th March 2012, 08:51
Apparently a significant proportion of the UK population has low vitamin D levels, which has resulted in a rising number of reported cases of rickets in children and osteomalacia in adults - whatever osteomalacia is. (Just been reading some NHS literature on this). This is of concern for pregnant women such that pregnant women should ensure that their own vitamin D requirement is met.....it goes on to say that people with darker skin are not able to produce as much vitamin D.

You can increase vitamin D levels through food, try to include more oily fish in your diet, such as Salmon, Mackerel, Tuna and Sardines/Pilchards. All high in Vitamin D
Egg and mushrooms can also provide vitamin D.

Doc Alan
28th March 2012, 10:14
Up to a quarter of the UK population, and possibly a billion people worldwide, have vitamin D deficiency. Those over 65, pregnant / breast-feeding women, and children from six months to five years old are thought to be most at risk. Others include people whose exposure to sunlight is limited, their skin is naturally darker, and if their diet is deficient in this vitamin. On sunny days, a few minutes outdoors is enough ( 15 minutes a day from June to August ). In less sunny months eat more oily fish and foods 'fortified' with vitamin D, such as breakfast cereals and some margarines.
Please note – vitamins are used for prevention and treatment of specific deficiency states or where the diet is known to be inadequate – they can be thus be prescribed on the NHS, but not as dietary supplements. Their use as general “ pick-me-ups “ is of unproven value and in the case of preparations containing vitamin A or D may actually be harmful if taking more than the prescribed dose. If you choose to take Vitamin D supplements, 10 micrograms daily is enough.
This is not a medical forum, which is why I did not give more detail about metabolic bone disease. In summary :-
• Osteomalacia is usually due to vitamin D deficiency ; bones are abnormally soft because they’re not mineralized ; they may be distorted ( bowing ) or fracture.
• Rickets is the equivalent, or more severe, disorder in childhood.
• There are MANY possible causes of these conditions ( diet, low UV exposure, malabsorption, drugs, liver and kidney disease ).
• Osteoporosis – bone mass reduced ( but chemically normal ) – especially in old age, fractures can result.
• Others ( overactive parathyroid, kidney disease, Paget’s disease ).

lastlid
28th March 2012, 10:21
This is not a medical forum, which is why I did not give more detail about metabolic bone disease.

No but I appreciate that you have indeed explained further. Useful for any Filipinas that might become pregnant when here. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
28th March 2012, 10:57
A little more information : the two types of ultraviolet radiation from the sun are :-
• UVA ( long wavelength ) which may cause photosensitivity reactions ( itchy red rash, 2 – 3 days into holiday or excess sun exposure, commonly chest, tops of feet, and upper arms ). May cause premature Ageing.
• UVB ( medium wavelength ) triggers melanin pigment production, and in excess causes sunBurn and cancers.
• Sunscreens protect against UVA and UVB. They are no substitute for covering the skin and avoiding excess sunlight.
• SPF ( Sun Protection Factor ) shows protection against burning – SPF 8 would mean someone could remain 8 times longer in the sun without burning. Most people don’t apply enough !
• A star rating indicates protection against UVA – how useful this is remains controversial.
• Both UVA and UVB can penetrate through cloud, and may be worse when reflected from water, sand, or snow.
• Caution with excess sun exposure – fair skinned ; many moles ; previous cancers ; some skin conditions like psoriasis ; babies, children and elderly.
• Correct SPF should be higher for first few days, and in Mediterranean or tropical climates.
• Here’s a simple guide :-
1. Fair / sensitive, facial and children’s skin – start with SPF 50, then reduce to 25(+) in UK ; always 50 in Philippines.
2. “ Normal “ skin – start with 25, then 15 in UK ; 25-50 then 15 in Philippines.
3. Dark skin – start with 25, then 15 in UK ; 25-50 then 15 in Philippines.

lastlid
28th March 2012, 11:08
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I took a bottle of "30" to the Philippines last year.

lastlid
28th March 2012, 11:20
This was the kind of thing we put on our son on the beach. And put a high factor screen on his face arms and legs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgBLZE4iL._SS500_.jpg

raynaputi
28th March 2012, 12:10
This was the kind of thing we put on our son on the beach. And put a high factor screen on his face arms and legs.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/41bgBLZE4iL._SS500_.jpg

That's called a rash guard, lastlid..you can usually see surfers and divers wear that..:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
28th March 2012, 12:23
Yes. And kids......:xxgrinning--00xx3: I think we got ours from Marks and Sparks. Called a sun suit in M and S.
I think they sell them in surf shops too, for kids and adults but we noticed they were more expensive there. I think we bought one in a sale at a surf shop.

Maria B
28th March 2012, 12:57
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
it's sun screen & shade time...thought that if I use brollie, I may look silly:rolleyes::Cuckoo::icon_lol:
i've been dying to wear my flip flops;):Wave:

lastlid
28th March 2012, 13:00
:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:
it's sun screen & shade time...thought that if I use brollie, I may look silly:rolleyes::Cuckoo::icon_lol:
i've been dying to wear my flip flops;):Wave:

Yes. We bought Mrs Lastlid a nice pair of M and S flip flops on saturday. (she still calls them slippers). She was so pleased to get into a pair.

Terpe
28th March 2012, 13:00
This is a really good thread. Thanks Alan. :xxgrinning--00xx3: