PDA

View Full Version : Bantayan Island

Merry
24th March 2012, 12:56
Hi everyone! I recently visited Bantayan Island and I would like to share some info about it with you. :)

We took a bus from the North Bus terminal in Cebu which was bound to Hagnaya. Luckily, we were able to ride on an aircon Ceres bus which costs us P150.00 each. It takes 3 hours travel from Cebu to Hagnaya port. When you reach Hagnaya port, you gotta buy a ticket for a ferry ride. Economy seats cost P170.00 while 1st class costs P185.00. It will take an hour and a half ferry ride before you reach Bantayan Island.

It is really so relaxing to stay in Bantayan Island. the sight of fine powderly white sand, crystal clear beach water and bright blue sky :sunshine:make you feel so refreshed and so blessed. The resort where we stayed is so calm and serene. I saw lots of foreigners staying there. Some of them were already there for months already. One thing I noticed though, they were not so friendly. I guess they felt kinda threatened of my brown skin, congeniality and curve :D hahaha!

Places to go and visit in Bantayan Island:

Virgin Island
St.Peter and Paul Cathedral
Mangrove forest
Ogtong cave
Bantayan town

I wish to add photos on here but I don't know how.:NoNo::icon_sorry: :Help1: I would appreciate it if anyone could teach me how. Thanks.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
24th March 2012, 13:08
sounds wonderful,if i was there i would have been so friendly and smiling because of being in a wonderful place and thinking how lucky i am:)

Merry
24th March 2012, 13:24
Oh, they must really be enjoying the island but maybe the western women were just so jealous!:D They don't like their men looking at asian women like me :icon_lol:...So I opted not to start any conversation with any of them anymore. I guess they mistook my friendliness to flirting....despite me being with kids.:NoNo: I was actually just asking for recommendations where to eat and go from them. Anyway, I had some help with some nice fellows in the resort where we stayed.

Terpe
24th March 2012, 13:26
.....I wish to add photos on here but I don't know how.:NoNo::icon_sorry: :Help1: I would appreciate it if anyone could teach me how. Thanks.

Look here in the FAQ section (http://filipinaroses.com/faq.php?faq=vb3_reading_posting#faq_vb3_attachments)

See under Attachments and Images, then How do I add an image to a post?

The 'insert image' icon is just above where you type your post message right next to the small envelope.

Merry
24th March 2012, 15:52
Bantayan Island

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/64060_3462351762092_1369916571_3337819_1537782877_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/420345_3462083475385_1369916571_3337698_1559940604_n.jpg

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/423310_3462343881895_1369916571_3337802_2041932366_n.jpg

I finally made it!:Jump:
Thanks Terpe! :thankyou:

Kristy
24th March 2012, 15:57
I been there before with my teacher yes very nice place.

Neu75
24th March 2012, 21:39
I have been there also - mostly German tourists when I went.
Nice island.

Terpe
25th March 2012, 09:33
Wow, Nice pics Merry. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Well done

stevewool
25th March 2012, 13:52
a place to visit on my next venture:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
25th March 2012, 21:20
There's too many beautiful places to choose from :rolleyes:

stevewool
25th March 2012, 21:32
you are right there peter, but you know what no matter where you are in the world, its always best shared with someone

Terpe
26th March 2012, 11:27
you are right there peter, but you know what no matter where you are in the world, its always best shared with someone

That's very true. I can say that from personal experience based on all those years I was travelling around the world alone.:rolleyes:

Maria B
28th March 2012, 15:39
thanks for posting merry. it brings back the memory. the last time I've been here was 2004 :yikes: But only Sta. Fe Beach Resort and Ogtong Cave Resort as they have the same owner, and the town & the very old (non-functional airport) the only thing that scares me was from the main land to the island as it was month of July & it was so wavy:doh. One time we did from Malapascua Island to Bantyan Island just for a day trip coz it was Bantayan Island's fiesta & all resorts are fully booked. :Wave: now that reminds me, that's April.

Merry
1st April 2012, 00:28

Aawww! that thought hurts!:bigcry:
Don't know if there will be any "special someone" for me anymore....

lastlid
2nd April 2012, 21:58
Mrs Lastlid has been here 3 times. She has been telling me a little about it. Her mom is there right now, for about a week. Looks very nice. It turns out that her mom is from San Remegio originally.

lastlid
2nd April 2012, 22:11
Bantayan Island. Birthplace of the Visayan Sea Squadron...

" “The sea, which is about a million hectares at the heart of the Sulu-Sulawesi eco-region, used to be rich in sardines, herrings and mackerel. But rampant blast fishing, unabated commercial fishing, cyanide fishing, overfishing, and other destructive forms of fishing depleted the marine resources in the area. Managed well, the Visayan Sea could feed the entire nation,” said Oposa "

http://wanhandredwan.wordpress.com/2012/03/12/restoring-visayan-seas-lost-glory/

Maricel_23
3rd April 2012, 13:54
Been there... Beautiful place indeed :)

stevie c
3rd April 2012, 14:33
Beautifull island ....Definatley on my list of places to visit in the phils :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tone
3rd April 2012, 17:10
Lovely! I've added it to the list - along with Palawan.

Just what I could do with right now along with a small win on the lottery...

stevewool
3rd April 2012, 17:14
a small win tone, what like a fiver:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

tone
3rd April 2012, 17:22
a small win tone, what like a fiver:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Haha yeah had a few of those with £10 - compared to those 10's of millions I would be very happy with my numbers coming up on the daily raffle of £250k!
I don't ask for much mate! But if the Lord wanted to give me tonight's £17M I wouldn't be too unhappy. Best buy a ticket!

Has any watched that program "the syndicate"?

lastlid
4th April 2012, 19:28
Mrs Lastlid was telling me that when they visited this island they would have turtle stew where they would cook turtles, the size of a saucer, in a casserole dish, with the carapace (shell) still on. I have a vision of these turtles swimming around in a big cooking pot....

stevie c
4th April 2012, 19:43
I thought Turtles was an endangered spieces or am i mistaken?:Erm:

lastlid
4th April 2012, 19:55
I thought Turtles was an endangered spieces or am i mistaken?:Erm:

Good question and one I put to Mrs Lastlid. She said they were farmed locally. Like you, I was curious too as the family she went there with, the employer, is a leading environmentalist. So presumably what my wife says about the farming is true.

stevie c
4th April 2012, 20:04
Hmmm must be correct then lastlid....but don't all catorgries of turtles come into protected spieces locally farmed or otherwise:Erm:

You learn something new everyday as they say :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
4th April 2012, 20:18
Hmmm must be correct then lastlid....but don't all catorgries of turtles come into protected spieces locally farmed or otherwise:Erm:

You learn something new everyday as they say :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Why would a farmed turtle be protected Stevie?

I dont know. I am guessing not. He himself farms crocodiles and chickens for a range of purposes.

stevie c
4th April 2012, 20:28
Just my way of thinking i suppose lastlid...That if a spieces is endangered & someone farms them then i thought when they have grown that they would be released in to the sea to help the population grow...As i say it's only my way of thinking:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
4th April 2012, 20:39
Just my way of thinking i suppose lastlid...That if a spieces is endangered & someone farms them then i thought when they have grown that they would be released in to the sea to help the population grow...As i say it's only my way of thinking:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I thought exactly the same thing as you, Steve. But I know the man to be a good man. He has done an awful lot for the Philippines and has been instrumental in a lot of the initiatives and laws on the environment there. When it comes to the Philippines environment he is the best. And he has been soooo good to my wife's family.

lastlid
4th April 2012, 20:47
Think about salmon farming and fishing quotas here in the UK....similar kind of thing.....

stevie c
4th April 2012, 20:49
I don't doubt his commitment to the pils enviroment at all Lastlid.

He knows better than us so who am i to question his work....Only me thinking if farmed Turtles were released in to the sea it would surely help the population grow

lastlid
4th April 2012, 20:53
I don't doubt his commitment to the pils enviroment at all Lastlid.

He knows better than us so who am i to question his work....Only me thinking if farmed Turtles were released in to the sea it would surely help the population grow

Maybe it would. But by that way of thinking we wouldn't have any farmed salmon in our supermarkets. In any case, no doubt anything farmed would never survive in the wild. Would it?

stevie c
4th April 2012, 21:02
Thats true lastlid but i don't have a problem with anything farmed if it is not an endangered spieces...but as you say would they survive if they were released i honestly don't know...Saying that it has to be worth a try when it comes to endangered spieces...We must try everything possible to stop the endangered spieces becoming extinct imo :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
4th April 2012, 21:06
Thats true lastlid but i don't have a problem with anything farmed if it is not an endangered spieces...but as you say would they survive if they were released i honestly don't know...Saying that it has to be worth a try when it comes to endangered spieces...We must try everything possible to stop the endangered spieces becoming extinct imo :xxgrinning--00xx3:

He would be the very first to agree with you. :xxgrinning--00xx3: For my part I wont be buying farmed salmon again.

stevie c
4th April 2012, 21:13
He would be the very first to agree with you. :xxgrinning--00xx3: For my part I wont be buying farmed salmon again.

Same here Lastlid i haven't for years :NoNo: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
4th April 2012, 21:21
Same here Lastlid i haven't for years :NoNo: :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The real problem, Steve is overfishng by whatever means. This man took on the dynamite fisherman head on. His colleague lost his life in the process....

grahamw48
4th April 2012, 21:23
Looks beautiful. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

The female western tourists and their partners were probably just self-conscious at being so fat and ugly. :icon_lol:

Ignore them. It's YOUR country. :)

http://img464.imageshack.us/img464/4361/onthebeach9uw.jpg

stevie c
4th April 2012, 21:30
The real problem, Steve is overfishng by whatever means. This man took on the dynamite fisherman head on. His colleague lost his life in the process....

Quite right Lastlid & for that i admire the man:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
5th April 2012, 21:44
"Bantayan Island, Philippines

Visit Bantayan Island, located northwest of Cebu, where life is slower and you can enjoy the peace and tranquility of the beautiful beaches. Until recently, foreigners did not frequent Bantanyan. Though the tourism industry is growing on the island it still retains a secluded feel. There are no large shopping malls, major hotel chains, movie theaters, etc. There are a handful of restaurants and bars in Santa Fe, though Bantanyan is definitely not the place to go if you’re looking for nightlife. Bantayan is a place for travelers looking for a tranquil getaway and hoping to spend most of their days lounging on the beach. The warmth and friendliness of the locals allows travelers to learn about day-to-day life on Bantayan, where locals farm and live simply in bamboo houses. The island is just 7 by 10 miles, and has crystal clear waters. Renting a scooter is a great way to explore the Bantayan."

http://www.globalbasecamps.com/blog/5-beaten-path-islands-southeast-asia

andy222
6th April 2012, 21:48
To be honest I spoke to the wife about maybe paying a visit to this place in may. It seems a bit of a long journey from cebu though.

lastlid
6th April 2012, 22:04
"The island can be reached via bus from Cebu City (via the North Bus Terminal near SM City Shopping Mall) then via ferry from Hagnaya Wharf in San Remigio, Cebu, or from Sagay in Negros Occidental. No commercial flights or overnight ferries are currently operating from Cebu City. It is possible to charter small private aircraft from Mactan-Cebu International Airport, to Bantayan Airport on Bantayan Island".. From wikipedia.

Andy. Mrs Lastlid went by car from Cebu then by boat from St Remegio

lastlid
7th April 2012, 00:55
http://www.sanremigiobeachclub.com.ph/

1. Air conditioned service Coaster
- Php7, 000.00
Hi-Ace Van (pick-up from Cebu City)
- Php.4, 500.00
2. Regular public bus service from Cebu City to San Remegio Beach Club 118 kms.(two to three hours drive).
Fare: Php.120.00 /person (one-way)

andy222
9th April 2012, 17:04
Thanks for the info lastlid.:xxgrinning--00xx3:. I will see how I feel when I get to mindanao:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
9th April 2012, 17:24
Hi everyone! I recently visited Bantayan Island and I would like to share some info about it with you. :)

We took a bus from the North Bus terminal in Cebu which was bound to Hagnaya. Luckily, we were able to ride on an aircon Ceres bus which costs us P150.00 each. It takes 3 hours travel from Cebu to Hagnaya port. When you reach Hagnaya port, you gotta buy a ticket for a ferry ride. Economy seats cost P170.00 while 1st class costs P185.00. It will take an hour and a half ferry ride before you reach Bantayan Island.

It is really so relaxing to stay in Bantayan Island. the sight of fine powderly white sand, crystal clear beach water and bright blue sky :sunshine:make you feel so refreshed and so blessed. The resort where we stayed is so calm and serene. I saw lots of foreigners staying there. Some of them were already there for months already. One thing I noticed though, they were not so friendly. I guess they felt kinda threatened of my brown skin, congeniality and curve :D hahaha!

Places to go and visit in Bantayan Island:

Virgin Island
St.Peter and Paul Cathedral
Mangrove forest
Ogtong cave
Bantayan town

I wish to add photos on here but I don't know how.:NoNo::icon_sorry: :Help1: I would appreciate it if anyone could teach me how. Thanks.

speaking of Bantayan Island:D
have you bought some fresh good quality danggit (buwad) if so maybe i can have some..really fancy that right now:D:cwm24::action-smiley-081:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gIYeTS2-I4s/TlEgoTCfo-I/AAAAAAAABTI/XOH-wLKfsns/s1600/bantayan_town+%25286%2529.JPG

lastlid
9th April 2012, 17:35
speaking of Bantayan Island:D
have you bought some fresh good quality danggit (buwad) if so maybe i can have some..really fancy that right now:D:cwm24::action-smiley-081:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/-gIYeTS2-I4s/TlEgoTCfo-I/AAAAAAAABTI/XOH-wLKfsns/s1600/bantayan_town+%25286%2529.JPG

Mrs Lastlid likes that......:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
9th April 2012, 17:41
Mrs Lastlid likes that......

i bit Mrs Lastid AND me is similar:yikes::icon_lol::Rasp:

lastlid
9th April 2012, 18:26
i bit Mrs Lastid AND me is similar:yikes::icon_lol::Rasp:

Probably. She only likes Philippino food and authentic Philippino food at that. She loves dried fish....but unlike you and her mom, she cant cook too well....

grahamw48
9th April 2012, 18:31
My ex wasn't too bothered, once here in the UK.

In fact she soon became accomplished at English cooking, her Flapjacks and Toad in the Hole being particularly excellent. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Being bought lots of cookery books did help.

stevie c
9th April 2012, 18:46
Probably. She only likes Philippino food and authentic Philippino food at that. She loves dried fish....but unlike you and mom, she cant cook too well....

Laslid have you considered buying mrs Laslid some cookery books, My wife has learnt to cook very well from using these books:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
9th April 2012, 19:20
Laslid have you considered buying mrs Laslid some cookery books, My wife has learnt to cook very well from using these books:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Actually Steve, she does use the internet.....particularly Panlasangpinoy.com. But it is a slow process...getting there slowly...

stevie c
9th April 2012, 19:25
Actually Steve, she does use the internet.....particularly Panlasangpinoy.com. But it is a slow process...getting there slowly...
Slowly but surely mate no harm in that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
9th April 2012, 21:44
What we seem to get from Cebu is dried Mango....and I love that.

stevewool
9th April 2012, 21:49
dried mango yum yum yum, love it, love the green mango drink also but firts time iover did it, made me bad for a few days and made my poo orrible too, ups to much imfomation:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
9th April 2012, 22:02
dried mango yum yum yum, love it, love the green mango drink also but firts time iover did it, made me bad for a few days and made my poo orrible too, ups to much imfomation:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Me too. I really like green mango shakes. But I have a stronger stomach than you....:icon_lol: