PDA

View Full Version : Aspirin overdose ?

Doc Alan
22nd March 2012, 17:34
Last week it was red meat, this week it’s aspirin. Over 15 months ago I reported on research in The Lancet about aspirin cutting the risk of cancer. This is in addition to reducing heart attacks and strokes in those already at risk ( with a smaller benefit to otherwise healthy people ). The top two causes of death in the world, UK and Philippines, are cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Now the same research workers, from Oxford, have published more work analysing data from trials first set up to test aspirin’s effect on heart disease. Unfortunately you can’t read the new articles without paying for them.
The team has shown that daily aspirin not only reduces long term risk of some cancers, especially large bowel ( common in UK and Philippines ), but also that its effects start to show after only 2 – 3 years. It seems to reduce the chance of cancers spreading to distant organs by up to half. They even suggest that the cancer benefit may be larger than its action in preventing heart attacks and strokes.
Apart from being a pain killer, aspirin stops blood cells called platelets from binding, and so prevents blood “ clotting “ ( thrombosis ). It seems that it also stops cancer cells sticking to platelets, so they can’t travel to other parts of the body. Over half of cancers do spread ( metastasize ) and that’s what often kills the patient. Aspirin probably also helps repair damaged DNA.
Remember cancer mostly affects middle aged people, so we’re talking about whether or not to start taking low dose ( 75 mg ) daily from the late forties. Younger people should only think about this if there is a family history of cancer or heart disease. The worry is that there is a risk of internal bleeding, such as stomach or brain. Aspirin should also NOT be taken for dengue ( paracetamol is recommended ).
It is NOT my place to recommend aspirin to any member or their relatives :NoNo:. The first thing to do is ask your GP, or wait a little longer unless you already have heart problems. The public need expert advice, given the risks as well as benefits from this drug. It is, however, good news – aspirin is cheap :). The professor leading the research does have the courage of his conviction, at age 47, to take daily aspirin himself :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Dedworth
22nd March 2012, 18:27
I heard this on the radio yesterday. It is odd what with the advice and counter advice.

3 years ago used to take aspirin everyday and then I mentioned to my Doc that a small cut on my big toe gushed blood she told me I was taking too much and should stop - I think they were 300mg tabs though. My blood does seem to be a bit on the thin side I'm always fairly quick filling the bag at the blood doning.

Steve.r
22nd March 2012, 19:04
Thank you for the summary about Asprin Alan.

I have thought that being at my age, it could be a healthy option. I do take them already before I fly long haul, so I try to avoid the DVT. But this research does make me think I should take a daily dose. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd March 2012, 22:03
interesting doc thanks,

some years ago i had pain in my chest which i thought was a cold or chest infection, each day it became more painful, untill one morning i wasnt fit to get in the work van a go to work, so i set off and walked down to the doctors medical centre , where a doc saw me, she said in a harsh tone,,,, what are you doing walking down here while your having a heart attack,:yikes:
anyway in shock at what she said, i wasnt allowed to go back home, i had to wait for an ambulance,
once in hospital , i had all the tests and then a bed ride to theatre , where they inserted (sorry i forgot what its called,,,, it goes down your vains into your heart to investigate, ) they said they would put a stent in if needed, lucky it wasnt necasery all they found was a slightly narrowed artery , not bad enough for a stent, the diagnosis was pericaditus (swollen heart sack membrain, which was squeezing my heart) and they said if i had ignored the chest pain it would have lead to a heart attack,

i was prescribed sinvastatin and 75mg asprin 1 per day, and i should take asprin this way for my life time as precaution, i have never had a re accurance,

more recently in 2010 while i was getting cheemo , i was taking so much more other meds so while i was recovering, i ask my gp if there was any meds i could stop, he stopped my sinvastatin and lastly the asprin, saying that as i no longer smoke i shouldnt need the asprin, but im not sure that is so?

i am tempted to self prescribe my own asprin, though when you try buy 75mg at chemist they question you because of the dose

i think it looks like i could only bennefit from taking them again

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 22:14
Where can I get 75mg Aspirins ?

I would like to start taking one each day. :)

Also, what about the new blood test trials about to start in Scotland (initially on heavy smokers) for VERY early detection of Cancer symptoms....on today's news ? :)

lastlid
22nd March 2012, 22:42
What about half a day? I remember my old nan taking half every day.

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 22:52
I'm taking Paracetamol every 4 hours at the moment....severe toothache ! :cwm3:

lastlid
22nd March 2012, 22:55

Ouch.

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 22:59
I will end up pulling the thing out myself....done it before. :cwm24:

lastlid
22nd March 2012, 23:01
I will end up pulling the thing out myself....done it before. :cwm24:

Couldnt do that. Too much of a coward.

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 23:08
Just grit your teeth.

Oh, maybe not. :Erm:

I find a small screwdriver works a treat for removing those sharp fillings or jagged bits of old broken tooth....after putting through a flame of course. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 23:12
I think the most painful one was when I had some sort of hard corn-like growth thing on the side of my small toe, complete with a root that seemed to go right down to the bone.
I dug it out with a stanley knife. :icon_lol:

Blood everywhere, but it didn't come back.

lastlid
22nd March 2012, 23:13
Just grit your teeth.

Oh, maybe not. :Erm:

I find a small screwdriver works a treat for removing those sharp fillings or jagged bits of old broken tooth....after putting through a flame of course. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:D I have a dental appointment on monday to have one removed. Mines gone beyond the point of pain. I was on painkillers and antibiotics a couple of weeks back.

Rosie1958
22nd March 2012, 23:13
Last week it was red meat, this week it’s aspirin. Over 15 months ago I reported on research in The Lancet about aspirin cutting the risk of cancer. This is in addition to reducing heart attacks and strokes in those already at risk ( with a smaller benefit to otherwise healthy people ). The top two causes of death in the world, UK and Philippines, are cancer and cardiovascular disease.
Now the same research workers, from Oxford, have published more work analysing data from trials first set up to test aspirin’s effect on heart disease. Unfortunately you can’t read the new articles without paying for them.
The team has shown that daily aspirin not only reduces long term risk of some cancers, especially large bowel ( common in UK and Philippines ), but also that its effects start to show after only 2 – 3 years. It seems to reduce the chance of cancers spreading to distant organs by up to half. They even suggest that the cancer benefit may be larger than its action in preventing heart attacks and strokes.
Apart from being a pain killer, aspirin stops blood cells called platelets from binding, and so prevents blood “ clotting “ ( thrombosis ). It seems that it also stops cancer cells sticking to platelets, so they can’t travel to other parts of the body. Over half of cancers do spread ( metastasize ) and that’s what often kills the patient. Aspirin probably also helps repair damaged DNA.
Remember cancer mostly affects middle aged people, so we’re talking about whether or not to start taking low dose ( 75 mg ) daily from the late forties. Younger people should only think about this if there is a family history of cancer or heart disease. The worry is that there is a risk of internal bleeding, such as stomach or brain. Aspirin should also NOT be taken for dengue ( paracetamol is recommended ).
It is NOT my place to recommend aspirin to any member or their relatives :NoNo:. The first thing to do is ask your GP, or wait a little longer unless you already have heart problems. The public need expert advice, given the risks as well as benefits from this drug. It is, however, good news – aspirin is cheap :). The professor leading the research does have the courage of his conviction, at age 47, to take daily aspirin himself :xxgrinning--00xx3: !

Wow, thanks for the interesting read Doc Alan. With a leg currently in plaster, blood clots have been at the forefront of my mind.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Graham - so sorry to hear that you have toothache, it's an awful pain to bear. I hope that you are able to visit your dentist for some :Help1: soon

lastlid
22nd March 2012, 23:15
I think the most painful one was when I had some sort of hard corn-like growth thing on the side of my small toe, complete with a root that seemed to go right down to the bone.
I dug it out with a stanley knife. :icon_lol:

Blood everywhere, but it didn't come back.

I am assuming you are joking Graham....

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 23:15
What dentist ? :icon_lol:

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 23:16
I am assuming you are joking Graham....

Nope. :D

imagine
22nd March 2012, 23:22
Where can I get 75mg Aspirins ?

Also, what about the new blood test trials about to start in Scotland (initially on heavy smokers) for VERY early detection of Cancer symptoms....on today's news ? :)

75 mg asprin any chemist, ask at the counter, its not on view and you dont need a prescription

imagine
22nd March 2012, 23:23

get your plyers out lol

grahamw48
22nd March 2012, 23:38
75 mg asprin any chemist, ask at the counter, its not on view and you dont need a prescription

Thanks ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
22nd March 2012, 23:45
Thanks ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

your welcome mate, but be warned the pharmacist will ask why ect, and maybe if its with your docs approval, but i dont think they can refuse , they treat it in a similer way as if you had asked for surgical spirit,

and dont self extract your tooth mate, you get infection you will regret it :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
23rd March 2012, 00:45
Very intresting, I do not take any Asprin, at 67 should I?
Mick:olddude:

imagine
23rd March 2012, 00:50
Very intresting, I do not take any Asprin, at 67 should I?
Mick:olddude:

i think its down to personal choice, if you have no illness that requires asprin for treatment,
and weigh up the pros and cons,
of what the bennefits of taking are, and any possible harm from taking , balance the facts i would say

grahamw48
23rd March 2012, 00:51
Apparently from the the recent reports it would seem...yes. :)

If you have any current health issues I'm sure it would be best to consult your GP first though.

lastlid
23rd March 2012, 08:31
What dentist ? :icon_lol:

Theres a 2 year waiting list for an NHS dentist here.

Terpe
23rd March 2012, 10:25
Rightly or wrongly I took a low dose aspirin tablet every day for nearly 20 years.
This was on medical advice from our company doctor and due to the volume of long-haul flights I was taking.
Well I'm still here. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
23rd March 2012, 10:33
Rightly or wrongly I took a low dose aspirin tablet every day for nearly 20 years.
This was on medical advice from our company doctor and due to the volume of long-haul flights I was taking.
Well I'm still here. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

A full tablet or half, Terpe?

Doc Alan
23rd March 2012, 11:25

Graham, and all other members who have shown interest in this topic - thanks for responding :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
It's worth repeating that anyone thinking of dosing daily on aspirin should take advice from their own doctor first - I can't know everyone's individual circumstances. This applies to every member, but as a general rule be especially cautious under the age of 40 ( is it really necessary ? ) or over 65 ( when the risk of bleeding becomes more important ).
As for early cancer detection, I'll start another thread on that topic ( lung cancer update, Health Issues section ).

Terpe
23rd March 2012, 11:29

It was a full tablet, I recall it was quite small in size.
I just cannot remember what the dosage was. It was the lowest available at that time I think. The company doctor always supplied to me.

Terpe
23rd March 2012, 11:29

It was a full tablet, I recall it was quite small in size.
I just cannot remember what the dosage was. It was the lowest available at that time I think. The company doctor always supplied to me.

lastlid
23rd March 2012, 11:30
Graham, and all other members who have shown interest in this topic - thanks for responding :xxgrinning--00xx3:.
It's worth repeating that anyone thinking of dosing daily on aspirin should take advice from their own doctor first - I can't know everyone's individual circumstances. This applies to every member, but as a general rule be especially cautious under the age of 40 ( is it really necessary ? ) or over 65 ( when the risk of bleeding becomes more important ).

As for early cancer detection, I'll start another thread on that topic ( lung cancer update, Health Issues section ).

And I would have thought the daily dosage being a significant question, also.

Doc Alan
23rd March 2012, 12:07
And I would have thought the daily dosage being a significant question, also.
Almost certainly, no more than 75 mg daily will be recommended, for individuals who appear healthy at check up.

fred
23rd March 2012, 14:50
Just asking huh!
So is aspirin any good for smokers in terms of future health?

Doc Alan
23rd March 2012, 15:55
Just asking huh!
So is aspirin any good for smokers in terms of future health?
Not as good as stopping smoking. Long term use of aspirin in low dosage ( 75 mg daily ) is of benefit in established cardiovascular disease - smoking is a major risk factor for events such as heart attacks and strokes. One of smoking's effects is to increase " platelet stickiness " which aspirin counteracts.
As for lung cancer, aspirin could reduce the chance of one of the three main subtypes ( glandular or " adenocarcinoma " ) in common with adenocarcinomas in other sites, such as large bowel.

grahamw48
25th March 2012, 22:17
75mg Aspirin tabs are on the shelf at Tesco now. 80p for a pack of 28. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
25th March 2012, 22:25
75mg Aspirin tabs are on the shelf at Tesco now. 80p for a pack of 28. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
nice one cheap too

are they dispersable ?

grahamw48
25th March 2012, 22:28
Erm don't think so. :Erm:

Just really small tablets.

imagine
25th March 2012, 22:48
i get the dispersable ones to desolve in water, but i never do :Erm::icon_lol:

i dont have problems throwing them down the hatch, i think i just get those out of habbit :icon_lol:

grahamw48
25th March 2012, 23:23
These are only about a quarter of an inch across....though I appreciate that not everyone has as big a gob as me. :)

imagine
25th March 2012, 23:35
These are only about a quarter of an inch across....though I appreciate that not everyone has as big a gob as me. :)

same size i think

Koala
26th March 2012, 00:23
Thanks Doc

Last year mid 2011 on the construction site all of a sudden I felt dizzy and I found it hard to walk on my right leg.....no pain the right leg and right arm just wouldn't do what I wanted them to do......I was numb on right side of my mouth......As I am right handed I couldn't clean my teeth, write or type......

I thought I had a mild stroke.....Everything came back to normal after 4 days.....This was a wake up call for me.....Immediately changed my diet to fish and salad about 4-5times a week....hence I have lost 11kg for 91kg down to 80kg and feel great...I have also started swimming laps again at the aquatic centre here in Dumaguete.

Doc I have asked at the Pharmacy here do they sell Asprin....Answer never heard of it....Remember where you are.....Can asprin came under a different name? It might be sold here under a different name....Would of thought you could buy asprin world wide.

Any thoughts

Koala Mark:Help1:

My blood pressure is 120 over 80 its never higher than 130 over 80

Doc Alan
26th March 2012, 08:52
Aspirin should be readily available in Philippines and is usually known by that name or acetylsalicyclic acid :).
“ Overdose ? “ in the title refers to information, as well as amount of aspirin ( low dosage ) to be taken ! It’s worth repeating, although it’s cheap and readily available over the counter or on the internet, take advice from your own doctor first :xxgrinning--00xx3: ! There ARE side effects – usually mild ( stomach ache, nausea, dizziness ) and a small but serious risk of internal bleeding.
Part of the surprise with this aspirin research is the low cost of a drug which can treat so many ailments. Some experts are even calling it an “ essential nutrient “ rather than a drug. Its anti-cancer effect has been suspected for decades and the latest research does seem to confirm this. Two further points :-
• Doctors have been / and are rightly cautious about aspirin because of its side effects.
• There is big money for drug companies in making anti cancer drugs which may just prolong life for a few months. A very cheap drug which can reduce long term risk of cancer and its spread ( also ease pain, and benefit heart attack / stroke victims ) is an embarrassment to them, and good news to us :Hellooo: ! Let’s hope more studies soon confirm that the benefits far outweigh the side effects.