PDA

View Full Version : ireland visa?

edwin
15th August 2005, 20:47
hi all
just wonderng if someone can help us out
we're planning a trip to ireland, and my wife jane has "indefinite leave to remain" already, so do we need a visa for her so we can all go to dublin?
thanks in advance!

edwin :D

walesrob
15th August 2005, 23:31
Originally posted by edwin@Aug 15 2005, 08:47 PM
hi all
just wonderng if someone can help us out
we're planning a trip to ireland, and my wife jane has "indefinite leave to remain" already, so do we need a visa for her so we can all go to dublin?
thanks in advance!

edwin :D

Quoted post

I'm quite sure your wife has ILR for the UK only (that is England, Scotland, Wales and NORTHERN Ireland), but not Southern Ireland.

She will need to apply for a visa to visit Ireland...heres the Irish Embassy website in London: Irish Embassy (http://ireland.embassyhomepage.com/)

Hope this helps.

peterdavid
16th August 2005, 09:54
Originally posted by walesrob@Aug 15 2005, 10:31 PM
I'm quite sure your wife has ILR for the UK only (that is England, Scotland, Wales and NORTHERN Ireland), but not Southern Ireland.

She will need to apply for a visa to visit Ireland...heres the Irish Embassy website in London: Irish Embassy (http://ireland.embassyhomepage.com/)

Hope this helps.

Quoted post

I THINK that Ireland, like the rest of the EU (everyone except the anti-social chip on their shoulder UK), is part of the Schengen treaty, which means that you need to apply for a "Schengen visa" - basically, you apply for it at the Embassy of the first country you're visiting (Ireland) but, once granted, it gives your wife the freedom to travel to any European country, all on the one visa.

And the best part - if she has a British visa already, it's FREE to get the Schengen visa. All you need to do is fill in the form, make an appointment, take your documents and hey presto, all done.

Now if only the UK was as streamlined....

walesrob
16th August 2005, 10:17
Originally posted by peterdavid@Aug 16 2005, 09:54 AM
I THINK that Ireland, like the rest of the EU (everyone except the anti-social chip on their shoulder UK), is part of the Schengen treaty, which means that you need to apply for a "Schengen visa" - basically, you apply for it at the Embassy of the first country you're visiting (Ireland) but, once granted, it gives your wife the freedom to travel to any European country, all on the one visa.

And the best part - if she has a British visa already, it's FREE to get the Schengen visa. All you need to do is fill in the form, make an appointment, take your documents and hey presto, all done.

Now if only the UK was as streamlined....

Quoted post

Taken from a website:

What countries are Schengen states?
Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden have acceded to the Schengen Agreement and are thus Schengen states.
These are the "old" EU member states (with the exception of Britain and Ireland) plus Iceland and Norway. The countries that joined the European Union on 1 May 2004 did not immediately accede to the Schengen Agreement.

Holders of valid Schengen visas (text on the visa reads "valid for Schengen states" in the respective language of the issuing country) or a residence permit of a member state can stay in the entire Schengen area for up to three months per half year (usually without having to go through passport control at internal borders).

I did look into getting a visa for Elsa to visit Spain, and you are correct that it is free as long as the spouse or sponsor is a resident of a EU country....

peterdavid
16th August 2005, 16:48
Originally posted by walesrob@Aug 16 2005, 09:17 AM
Taken from a website:

What countries are Schengen states?
Germany, Austria, Belgium, Denmark, Finland, France, Greece, Iceland, Italy, Luxembourg, the Netherlands, Norway, Portugal, Spain and Sweden have acceded to the Schengen Agreement and are thus Schengen states.
These are the "old" EU member states (with the exception of Britain and Ireland) plus Iceland and Norway. The countries that joined the European Union on 1 May 2004 did not immediately accede to the Schengen Agreement.

Holders of valid Schengen visas (text on the visa reads "valid for Schengen states" in the respective language of the issuing country) or a residence permit of a member state can stay in the entire Schengen area for up to three months per half year (usually without having to go through passport control at internal borders).

I did look into getting a visa for Elsa to visit Spain, and you are correct that it is free as long as the spouse or sponsor is a resident of a EU country....

Quoted post

I stand corrected. :)

edwin
16th August 2005, 19:28
Originally posted by peterdavid@Aug 16 2005, 03:48 PM
I stand corrected. :)

Quoted post

found this what do you reckon? need a visa?

Jul/04 IMMIGRATION DIRECTORATES' INSTRUCTIONS

ANNEX CONTENTS
ANNEX H
CHAPTER 1 COMMON TRAVEL AREA
SECTION 2
PERSONS ARRIVING IN THE UNITED KINGDOM WHO INTEND TO TRAVEL
TO THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND, CHANNEL ISLANDS OR
THE ISLE OF MAN

1. GENERAL
2. THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
2.1. Visa and other requirements in the Republic of Ireland
2.2. Visitors and persons who qualify for indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom
2.3. Persons intending employment in the Republic of Ireland
2.4. Other persons travelling to the Republic of Ireland, including those resident there

2. THE REPUBLIC OF IRELAND
2.1. Visa and other requirements in the Republic of Ireland
Irish legislation defines a foreign national as a person who is neither a citizen of Ireland nor a citizen of Great Britain or Northern Ireland. Where a person who intends to travel on to the Republic of Ireland requires a visa to enter the Republic, and is not in possession of such a visa, the immigration officer should contact the Department of Justice, Dublin, to establish whether or not he will be acceptable to the immigration authorities there. If he is not, leave to enter should be refused under Paragraph 320(4)
2IDI Jul/04 CH1 SECT2 – COMMON TRAVEL AREA – ANNEX H
of HC 395. For details of visa requirements to the Republic of Ireland, refer to the Travel Information Manual (TIM).
2.2. Visitors and persons who qualify for indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom
Any person who is subject to control, who intends to proceed to the Republic of Ireland, who appears acceptable there and who would normally qualify for leave to enter on Code 5N as a visitor if he were intending to remain in the United Kingdom for the whole of his stay may be given leave to enter on Code 5N.
Where a person intending to proceed to the Republic of Ireland as a visitor does not qualify for Code 5N but refusal of leave to enter is not appropriate, he should be granted leave to enter on Code 3 for one month.
Any person who qualifies for indefinite leave to enter the United Kingdom should be given such leave.

walesrob
16th August 2005, 20:00
To be honest, I would email the Irish Embassy just to be sure, although having read your post, it seems UK and Ireland are a bit more closer as regards to immigration matters, which is understandable given the geography of our islands.

I have no knowledge of FLR, so I dont know what the allowances or restrictions are.

Keith would know more....Over to you Keithy.... :)

Admin
17th August 2005, 08:41
As ling as she has indefinite leave, then you can go, but as stated above, may need a visa.

If you go through Belfast though, and drive into Eire, no one ever checks, the border is looked after by sheep now. And no one in Eire gives a damn who you are, or where you come from.

Irelandken
30th August 2005, 10:53
hi. just joined the forum today, but thought i'd add my comments to this thread. For anyone who's ever been to ireland, there's no longer a border crossing between north and south ireland, in fact the only way you know is the change from Stirling to Euro in the shops, and the road signs are in Klm.
Hope you have a nice visit to a lovely country..

Admin
30th August 2005, 21:32
Most of the road signs were invisible when I go :P

Irelandken
30th August 2005, 22:54
Originally posted by admin@Aug 30 2005, 09:32 PM
Most of the road signs were invisible when I go :P

Quoted post

There were road signs ?????? :o

Admin
31st August 2005, 09:13
I did pass one when going to Clonmel racetrack, however it was pointing the wrong way!!! :huh:

It also would have helped if the tourist office had sent me a little newer map, the 1745 horse and cart one was a little dated :rolleyes: