PDA

View Full Version : HD TV in the Philippines

lastlid
15th March 2012, 20:24
My wifes moms birthday today and we sent her enough money to get a 22" HD LCD TV. The exchange rate was 65 to the pound BTW via moneygram. They have already bought it from SM and it's a similar price to the ones sold here. She just wanted a small one to keep her electricity bills down. 2 year Samsung warranty included.

I dont think I get a terrestrial HD TV signal here in the IOM but am certain I got it through my TV aerial in Aberdeen.

Question is, what kind of signal is likely to be receivable from a roof aerial in Dasmarinas, Cavite. Will she get just standard digital signal from the roof aerial? Are the terrestrial signals still analogue out there?

It's plugged in and working but I dont know what kind of signal she is likely to be receiving.

Terpe
15th March 2012, 22:25
Question is, what kind of signal is likely to be receivable from a roof aerial in Dasmarinas, Cavite. Will she get just standard digital signal from the roof aerial? Are the terrestrial signals still analogue out there?

As far as I know she can receive digital signal via cable and satellite only.
Otherwise standard NTSC analogue signal.

Usually pretty crap unless she live in a good signal area.

Steve.r
15th March 2012, 22:27
We have cable, and even that is crap in our house. :doh

lastlid
15th March 2012, 22:31
As far as I know she can receive digital signal via cable and satellite only.
Otherwise standard NTSC analogue signal.

Usually pretty crap unless she live in a good signal area.

Ah. Right. As you might imagine, she only has a typically modest income and lives in a typically modest house and cable and satellite are out of the question. So an HD TV is a bit of a luxury item to say the least. And may even be total overkill in an area where the signal is poor. So I guess she will be receiving analogue. Thanks. That gives me a bit to go on when I chat to my wife's sister on the matter.

lastlid
15th March 2012, 22:32
We have cable, and even that is crap in our house. :doh

Do you mean your house in the UK or your house in Phils, Steve?

Steve.r
15th March 2012, 22:34
Phils

lastlid
15th March 2012, 22:36
On the positive side, its a a radical change from what she had, which was a hand me down from her employer. And it is of course a lot neater as is LCD TV.

Steve.r
15th March 2012, 22:43
We have a 42" in the living room and a 24" in the bedroom. I can play movies from my laptop through HDMI connection which is fine and HD quality, or play DVD's through it too. Ripped DVD's are cheap, (some better quality than others) so there are ways that she (your Mother-in-law) can use the HD to the best if she wants. It's just for some reason the cable is rubbish in our house.. I think we are the last on the line, it has never been good, but when I ask my wife to sort it out, she says that the cable company dont want to do anything about it. Anyone know if using a sat dish is worth the investment and what can you pick up that way??

lastlid
15th March 2012, 22:51
OK Cheers for that insight. I have got my head around it a bit better now.

BoholoX
16th March 2012, 01:14
We use a Cignal dish (www.cignal.tv) and HD decoder box which I believe is the only HD satellite broadcaster in the RP (Dream havent caught up yet) as opposed to a cable service. Various packages available from P390 to P1550 a month. We get about 40 channels plus 9 HD ones (movies, ESPN) although its very US biased. Other than playing DVDs its the only way to enjoy the capabilities of your TV as the aerial will be the old analogue broadcast.

Steve.r
16th March 2012, 01:28
We use a Cignal dish (www.cignal.tv) and HD decoder box which I believe is the only HD satellite broadcaster in the RP (Dream havent caught up yet) as opposed to a cable service. Various packages available from P390 to P1550 a month. We get about 40 channels plus 9 HD ones (movies, ESPN) although its very US biased. Other than playing DVDs its the only way to enjoy the capabilities of your TV as the aerial will be the old analogue broadcast.
Thanks for the info, might have to look into that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
16th March 2012, 08:03

Right. Thanks.

Well at least she is HD ready now ! :D Cheers.