PDA

View Full Version : tips and advice for my Emirates flight???

lykayu01
9th March 2012, 02:58
A bit nervous first international flight plus the connecting flight...

MNL-DBX
what to do first at NAia1????
travel tax is already paid together when i booked my flight...
so whats the first step inside naia?????

DBX-GLASGOW

what to do after getting of the plane at dubai??? where would i go???? what would i do????

i really dont have a clue on this as its my first time...:Help1: :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo:

lastlid
9th March 2012, 08:09
I recall I asked similar questions back in September. And finding the threads isnt so easy. And the rules can change so quickly. I will try and dig out that stuff. Something I discovered was that even if you think you have paid the travel tax, you still have to pay it at the airport. No doubt Graham etc will enlighten you further on that.

I also came across a picture walkthrough on the internet but not sure where it is now.

lastlid
9th March 2012, 08:20
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33680-Travel-Tax-Philippines

On travel tax. But of course the amount of tax has changed since then.

lastlid
9th March 2012, 08:21
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33672-Leaving-the-Philippines...a-Few-Checks

When I was finding my feet for my wifes journey...notice Jenkys and Grahams helpful tips.

Sorry, I cant find the picture walkthtough. But there is stuff out there including this....

http://myamazingphilippines.com/departure-procedures-at-manilas-international-airport/

Steve.r
9th March 2012, 08:57
Dubai is quite straightorward really.
Because you have transfer to a later flight you do not leave the airport. Best thing to do is follow everyone else or ask someone who has been on the same flight, the chances are that they might be transfering too.
But basically, you will be directed out of the plane, and you will go up an escalator and follow the route until you pass through another immigratin control, you put your hand luggage through an x-ray and after that you go back down the escalator (different one) to the departure lounge where all the shops are. There, you can relax take a look around the the shops (not cheap to buy stuff) have some food or whatever until your time to go to your gate for the next flight.
The main terminal is very long, and the maps of the terminal (there are many) will tell you in minutes how long it takes to walk to your gate. There are many Filipina's working in Dubai Airport, so there will always be someone to ask in your language if you need help.

Just don't panic or worry, enjoy the experience. Take a look at the gold shop, it amazes me to see some really rich people buying up huge ingots of gold :REGamblMoney01HL1: oh... check out the single diamonds for sale too.... :omg:

lastlid
9th March 2012, 09:04
It was my wife's first time out of Philippines too. She had been to Cebu before and Boracay but they don't really count. Anyhow, when all was said and done her passage through Nino Aquino was a doddle evidently. Though she had to do some typhoon dodging that day :D

Anyhow good luck and enjoy. Dont forget to get the hubby to get you a cold weather clothing upgrade as there is some good malls in Glasgow so I gather.

The Isle of Man is next door. We can see NI from here (not sure which part) but it is just across the water. There's a fair few Irish folk on the IOM. I have never been to Ireland except in transit really and for a short spell of work offshore off the west coast of ROI. So I know little about it. But I do want to see the Giants Causeway one day. I would quite like to see the Chocolate Hills but the Giants Causeway is a bit special too.

lykayu01
9th March 2012, 10:56
heheheh my hubby asked my to have some money change peso to AED so i could get something to eat and drink while there
well i guess its better for me to stay where i am supposed to wait til my next flight as i only have 2hrs and 55mins and i dont know the process on that connecting flight really thats why im so very very much nervous....
not until i get to see my hubby at Glasgow Airport for our next flight going to Belfast N.I. UK :)

anyone who has experience on Emirates flight MNL-DBX DBX-Glasgow???
sorry but i really dont know what to do whaere to go whats the next process im "clueless" ..

Steve.r
9th March 2012, 11:04
anyone who has experience on Emirates flight MNL-DBX DBX-Glasgow???
read my post above :rolleyes:

lastlid
9th March 2012, 11:11
My wife is 24 and not a seasoned traveller so I understand your apprehension.

Well, I have never been through this airport though I have been through many others including Abu Dhabi, Jedda, Kuwait City and Riyadh. And although each is different there is a common theme.

Basically, the route within any airport and the departure gate can and does vary from one day to the next. Manchester is the worlds worst for that. So the keys are as follows.

When in Manila, checking in, make sure your baggage is checked all the way through to the UK otherwise you may well have to go through passport control in Dubai to collect your baggage. That was one thing I underlined with my wife. They don't always do that automatically.

When you disembark in Dubai from your flight from Manila, watch the signs for ongoing flights / transfers. Look out for your next flight and gate number and then head for the gate number that you will fly from.

As Steve says, you will need to go through another baggage check etc

If necessary or as a matter of routine, look out for an information desk or better still an Emirates desk and ask. They will be helpful.

2 hours and 55 minutes can soon pass, so find your departure gate first, then sit down and have a coffee :D or browse the duty free etc.

Maybe tag along with a few of the Filipino overseas workers, if need be, as they are well drilled in this sort of thing. There's a fair chance that some will be going onto the UK from Manila and Dubai.

Anybody got any other suggestions? Steve covered it really.

I got my wife to change some pesos to US dollars so that she could easily get some euros in Amsterdam, in case something went wrong with our rendezvous.

Also, you might even consider asking one of the Emirates stewardesses for a pointer. I am sure they will set you off in the right direction. Most of them will speak good english.

raynaputi
9th March 2012, 11:26
I got here to UK via Emirates, MNL-DBX-MAN...Don't worry about getting from Manila to Dubai..it's very straightforward. After you checked in, pay your terminal fee. Just ask them where and they would point you where it is. Then you just have to go thru Immigration and your passport will be stamped..and don't forget to get an Immigration card to be filled up and given at the immigration counter. Everyone else is doing it so you won't be lost ;)..After you passed the Immigration counter, you'll be allowed inside to scan you and your hand luggage (they would ask you to remove shoes). So don't carry any liquids in your hand luggage. After that you can go straight in, you would see duty free. NAIA Terminal 1 is so small and you won't be lost. Just take note of your departure time and Gate number so you know where & when to go. There's a free internet area in the waiting areas just in case you want to use it while waiting for boarding time. Although lots are intending to do so, so it might have a queue. I found that their free wifi is not very helpful so I just used my 3G hahaha..You would hear and see notifications/informations when it's time for you to board the plane.

Then when the plane lands on Dubai, just follow everyone else where they're going. You would pass the same section. You would see at the end of the escalator a big electronic board showing the gate numbers of each flight numbers. Just go there and you'd see waiting areas. Duty free is around too and there are food stalls/sections where you can buy food just in case. 2 hrs and 55 mins isn't that long when you get there. Plus we were checked in an hour earlier so waiting time is really not that long. I didn't find any time to wonder around. Plus food would be served in a few mins in the plane anyway. They offer free wifi in the airport too, but as so many are accessing it, it's very lucky to get connected.

So don't worry and just relax during your flight. Btw, refrain from bringing food in your checked in luggage as much as possible. Sniffing dogs in the UK airports would detect that. You are allowed to bring but I'm not really sure how much. Check the guidelines of the UK airports about it just to be sure. I never bring foods everytime I go on a flight just to not cause any troubles or extra time in the Customs area. So do some checking in case you want to bring some food.

Have a safe trip! :Jump:

lastlid
9th March 2012, 12:35
Btw, refrain from bringing food in your checked in luggage as much as possible. Sniffing dogs in the UK airports would detect that. You are allowed to bring but I'm not really sure how much. Check the guidelines of the UK airports about it just to be sure. I never bring foods everytime I go on a flight just to not cause any troubles or extra time in the Customs area. So do some checking in case you want to bring some food.

Have a safe trip! :Jump:

I brought back a heap of dried mango and a slab of her moms chocolate fudge brownie okay :D, but to be truthful I was not certain that it was okay as a lot of tightening up has gone on in the last few years or so.

Ann1984
9th March 2012, 15:14
Got ya! you can print out this useful TIPS and hand carry when you travel, important information for visitors, students, and workers with a visa to come to the UK, i recently reading this, and i know now, what will happen when i arrive in the UK Border.
Cheers Lyka and Have a safe trip:xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitecontent/documents/travel-customs/your-stay-in-uk/your-stay-in-uk.pdf?view=Binary

grahamw48
9th March 2012, 15:49
I always have a re-sealable lunch box with me into which I first put the food I've prepared for pre-flight wait at Manila. :)

Once on the plane I re-fill my lunch box with extra food requested from the stewardesses, along with the bottle of mineral water that they have also provided me with. :)

During my stopover in the mid-east transit lounge, I settle myself into one of the comfy lay-flat free seats, eat my free lunch, drink my free mineral water and read my free newspaper.:)

Every so often I'll go over and use the free wi-fi internet in the transit lounge. :)

The only penny I'll be 'spending' will be in the free toilets and wash facilities. :)

lastlid
9th March 2012, 16:03
I always have a re-sealable lunch box with me into which I first put the food I've prepared for pre-flight wait at Manila. :)

Once on the plane I re-fill my lunch box with extra food requested from the stewardesses, along with the bottle of mineral water that they have also provided me with. :)

During my stopover in the mid-east transit lounge, I settle myself into one of the comfy lay-flat free seats, eat my free lunch, drink my free mineral water and read my free newspaper.:)

Every so often I'll go over and use the free wi-fi internet in the transit lounge. :)

The only penny I'll be 'spending' will be in the free toilets and wash facilities. :)
:D You are so right as the airport food etc is sooo expensive.

And I often ask for 2 in flight meals at any one sitting. They normally are obliging. :D

These days I dont drink but I used to always ask for two bottles of one and not just the one.

lykayu01
10th March 2012, 02:20
thanks everyone!!!!! Lastlid,Steve R.,Grahamw48,Ann1984,and Raynaputi :)
big help for a first time international flyer like me hehehe :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Eyes O'Donnell
10th March 2012, 04:04
thanks everyone!!!!! Lastlid,Steve R.,Grahamw48,Ann1984,and Raynaputi :)
big help for a first time international flyer like me hehehe :Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::Hellooo::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

hi lykayu :)
1. always maker sure your passport, visa, tickets etc are all correct....any little thing goes wrong and your in for a wait and possibly miss your flight

2. always give yourself time for the delays that may spring up...arrive early...very...its better to be sitting reading a book waiting for the flight then to discover something is wrong or forgotten and your running around like crazy

3. wear comfortable clothing for the flight....anything even remotely tight or form hugging will make you wish you were anywhere but there....this goes for shoes as well.....your feet will swell up twice there size so nothing that will restrict that or your in misery

4. while on the flight get up at least twice and hour and move about whether its to the bathroom or just around cause you need to get the blood moving now and then....sitting there for long periods of time is murder on the back and legs and can cause blood clots in the legs later....even if you end up annoying your sleeping neighbor...move....its for your own good.

5. drink lots of fluid....i know it means you will be needing the bathroom more but its very easy to become dehydrated on long flights...all that recycled air is extemely drying.

6. dont pact all your important things in one bad in case it gets lost or anything. try to spread your necessaries through out your luggage so you always have a supply on hand of what you need just in case

7. dont have anything even remotely suspicious in your carryon...but do have things like wet ones, a bottle of water if possible, a separate place for passport and tickets etc so you can get to them quickly, gum helps pop the ears when taking off....and a book or some magazines...even a change of underclothes with a few personal hygene items...long haul flights definitely leave you feeling yucky after just a few hours and you never know how long you will be separated from your luggage.

tanga
10th March 2012, 05:20
My wife and I flew from Manila to Glasgow on vacation using Emirates in August last year. At the counter in NAIA you will receive your boarding card for both the Mnl to Dbx and Dbx to Gla legs of the journey.Your luggage will be checked through to Glasgow
You will transit for a few hours in Dubai,just follow the signs and other passengers as most will have onward flights. You will have plenty of time to take a look round the shopping area in the terminal,just familiarise yourself with the location of the gate from which you will leave. This will be marked on your boarding card but just check the monitors to confirm.
Dont take any liquid in your hand carry,be prepared for security checks at NAIA and Dubai and if you need help in your transit then dont worry there are dozens of Filipinos working there who can assist you.
Remember to bring cash for your Philippine Travel Tax (P1640) and terminal fee(P750 or P550)
Check if you can avail of online check in before you leave for NAIA. This way you can see the seating plan and choose an aisle or window seat.
Take a light cardigan to wear when you arrive in UK its a lot colder than Laguna.
Follow the queue to Immigration in Glasgow,take the non eu line then claim your luggage.
All in all its a good schedule. Overnight flight 8hours then a break then another 8 hours
Happy trip

lastlid
10th March 2012, 09:44
Take a light cardigan to wear when you arrive in UK its a lot colder than Laguna.

Yes. My wife arrived in October, similar weather to now in the UK. I got her to bring a hoody in her cabin baggage for when she arrived in Europe. Eyes mentioned precautions against lost baggage and this is a fair point. When i mentioned this to my wife she freaked out a bit. But although it doesnt happen often, it does happen. Normally the worst you might get is a delay in the arrival of your checked in baggage eg you arrive in Glasgow but you don't get your bagge in Belfast till 3 days later. So for this reason it pays to have a change of clothing in your cabin baggage. So, just as a precaution carry a few bits and bobs in your cabin baggage. I got my wife to carry all of her important documents in her cabin baggage eg Marriage certificate, degree certificate etc etc.

grahamw48
10th March 2012, 10:39
Absolutely agree about important documents and valuable possessions...put in your hand-carried bag where you can keep a constant eye on them. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It is also not unknown for baggage handlers to steal from bags, as well as 'losing' them.

A cup of coffee costs p100 at NAIA !!!

My one major blunder on the last trip home.
The thought still tortures me now. :cwm3:

lykayu01
10th March 2012, 11:06
thank u i have already packed my things up...
i have one handbag
one hand carry and one check in luggage...
is that ok?
thanks for all the tips and advices !!!!! will keep u updated soon as i arrive there :)
:Jump::Jump::Jump:

lastlid
10th March 2012, 11:15
thank u i have already packed my things up...
i have one handbag
one hand carry and one check in luggage...
is that ok?
thanks for all the tips and advices !!!!! will keep u updated soon as i arrive there :)
:Jump::Jump::Jump:

Sounds good. Laptop / Notebook?

My wife left hers at home for her mom to use.

grahamw48
10th March 2012, 11:26
Also fill your pockets.

They don't weigh you or the clothes you're wearing. :icon_lol:

stevewool
10th March 2012, 12:53
A cup of coffee costs p100 at NAIA !!!

My one major blunder on the last trip home.
The thought still tortures me now. :cwm3:[/QUOTE]

it happens to the best of us, :doh:doh:doh:doh

lykayu01
12th March 2012, 05:20
hhehehe dont worry i dont drink coffee when going out because it makes my metabolism fast and i dont want to poop outside the house thats why i dont drink coffee when i have a schedule outside the house hehehe...

hoping for a very comfortable and safe flight to UK tomorrow!!! thanks everyone ... :Jump::Jump::Jump::Jump: :)

lastlid
12th March 2012, 07:33
Bon voyage. I am sure it will be comfortable. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

irishman12
2nd May 2012, 23:50
welcome to ireland hopefully -even if its northern ireland

Arthur Little
3rd May 2012, 00:42
welcome to ireland hopefully -even if its northern ireland

:Hellooo: ... here's OUR :welcomex: to you! :)