PDA

View Full Version : New iPad sports 3.1M pixels, rolls out March 16

Terpe
8th March 2012, 09:35
Apple Inc. launched its new iPad in San Francisco, California at about 2 a.m. Manila time. The new iPad has 3.1 million pixels for 2048 by 1536 resolution, a 5 megapixel camera sensor, and is powered by an A5X processor for quad core graphics.

Source:-
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/250667/scitech/technology/apple-s-new-ipad-sports-3-1-m-pixels-rolls-out-march-16-at-499

lastlid
8th March 2012, 10:24
Starting price is $499.

Thats £315. How does that compare with a clone?

Terpe
8th March 2012, 10:27

Which clone?

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 10:31
Starting price is $499.

US price add 50% to get the Rip Off Britain price the mugs here will be paying

lastlid
8th March 2012, 10:34

More a rhetorical question. Many complain that the ipads and iphones are overpriced (including myself) but many of the clones seem similarly pricey for what they offer.

Terpe
8th March 2012, 10:39
US price add 50% to get the Rip Off Britain price the mugs here will be paying

Yeah, usually the dollar symbol is simply replaced with £ and the number remains the same. :D

lastlid
8th March 2012, 10:42
I paid £398 for our ipad 2.

Maybe the clones come in a bit cheaper, maybe they dont, but you get what you pay for normally. Same for everything.

lastlid
8th March 2012, 11:26
Yeah, usually the dollar symbol is simply replaced with £ and the number remains the same. :D

I know what you mean about £1 = $1 as i have seen it in the past when visiting Houston. I happen to like GAP clothing and found it so much cheaper over there, but it doesn't stop me from buying GAP clothes in the UK. When I flew back I normally came back with a big bag full of GAP clothes for me and my son and Levis for the ex wife.

Same for a Big Mac meal etc etc, what they pay in dollars , we pay in pounds.

Having said that, I feel certain that when my boss gets back from Canada this trip he will be clutching an iPad3 under his arm.

mickcant
8th March 2012, 12:08
Looks ok, but I am happy with just a desktop computer:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 12:28
Looks ok, but I am happy with just a desktop computer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

You can't get mugged for your desktop by steamers on a train. It's a bit like 4 x 4's / Chelsea Tractors how many people use these things to their full capabilities.

My mates wife has had Samsung and Blackberry Smartphones, she now has an I-Phone and I-Pad. She plays games on the I-Pad sitting in the living room whilst her laptop and desktop are in their office upstairs - my mate who has his own busines does everything he needs from his HTC 'droid Phone, Acer Netbook and Desktop

lastlid
8th March 2012, 13:13
My boss has two 4 x 4s. One's a Porche and the other is a Discovery. And why not? He parks his Porsche next to the Ferrari that is parked in the same car park which is never locked as the only steamer around is the one between Douglas and Liverpool.

Do they use them to their full capabilities? I would say yes as they drive a lot of miles, have a large family and live in the country and use both for a variety of business purposes. And do they use their Apples? All the time conducting a very succesful global business.

Despite that I am going to tap him on the shoulder and get him to buy a Ford Focus instead.

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 14:08
My boss has two 4 x 4s. One's a Porche and the other is a Discovery. And why not? He parks his Porsche next to the Ferrari that is parked in the same car park which is never locked as the only steamer around is the one between Douglas and Liverpool.

Do they use them to their full capabilities? I would say yes as they drive a lot of miles, have a large family and live in the country and use both for a variety of business purposes. And do they use their Apples? All the time conducting a very succesful global business.

Despite that I am going to tap him on the shoulder and get him to buy a Ford Focus instead.

Fair enough sounds like they make use of them unlike chums wife who is a brand snob and needs a four hundred quid iPad to play scrabble on the sofa with, I guess she could do the same on the i phone but perhaps the screen size makes it harder.

She's also got a 4 x 4 that replaced the 2 year old Fiesta a couple of years ago and uses it for the private school run. Funnily enough the car purchase coincided with youngest boy moving from a state nursery to the same school as Mr Blumenthals kids. She finds it easy to spend her successful husbands money.

lastlid
8th March 2012, 14:21
Fair enough sounds like they make use of them unlike chums wife who is a brand snob and needs a four hundred quid iPad to play scrabble on the sofa with, I guess she could do the same on the i phone but perhaps the screen size makes it harder.

She's also got a 4 x 4 that replaced the 2 year old Fiesta a couple of years ago and uses it for the private school run. Funnily enough the car purchase coincided with youngest boy moving from a state nursery to the same school as Mr Blumenthals kids. She finds it easy to spend her successful husbands money.

Personally I wouldn't buy a 4 x 4. I drive a more modest hatchback. Mainly because I have never been into cars in a big way and prefer something that is going to be cheaper on insurance, parts, servicing aswell as fuel and easy to park and up till last autumn was effectively single - no family use. But thats my choice and I don't begrudge anyone going for anything more flamboyant etc.

Arthur Little
8th March 2012, 14:25
I am happy with just a desktop computer:xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... me too, Mick.

Waste of good money, :REGamblMoney01HL1: by all accounts.

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 14:48
Personally I wouldn't buy a 4 x 4. I drive a more modest hatchback. Mainly because I have never been into cars in a big way and prefer something that is going to be cheaper on insurance, parts, servicing aswell as fuel and easy to park and up till last autumn was effectively single - no family use. But thats my choice and I don't begrudge anyone going for anything more flamboyant etc.

Common sense, same here, the conspicuous consumption of my mates wife irks me - when it comes to fads and brands she out does any Filipina a hundred times over

lastlid
8th March 2012, 14:57
I am inclined to agree that the iPad is very expensive and yes, I have said myself overpriced. But then that same sentiment must apply to its clones. And if I was on a tighter budget then I wouldn't buy one either. It is a luxury item.

Terpe
8th March 2012, 19:24
I am inclined to agree that the iPad is very expensive and yes, I have said myself overpriced. But then that same sentiment must apply to its clones. And if I was on a tighter budget then I wouldn't buy one either. It is a luxury item.

From the little I know all tablet types are darned expensive. There are some benefits for some people though and we all have our preferences.
For me, I spend my money the way I want and on what I want. Maybe it's not always the most efficient or effective, but it's the way I want and that make me happy.
I don't have a tablet, but if I was in the market to buy one I'd most likely consider the tech-reviews I read and on balance would go for an iPad.

Coincidently, I just read in the newspaper that the new iPad3 is on sale in the UK next week at £499
I notice it has 4G connectivity.
Do we have any 4G in UK?
If not when will we get it? It's the 'bee's knee's' by all accounts.

Sorry to mention this lastlid, but the iPad2 16GB Wi-Fi model will drop in price to £329
The report didn't say anything about the 3G model pricing structure.

£500 on a tablet is a bit rich for me, but if we have 4G networks anytime soon I might make an exception. Only if the reviews are good though

lastlid
8th March 2012, 20:06
From the little I know all tablet types are darned expensive. There are some benefits for some people though and we all have our preferences.
For me, I spend my money the way I want and on what I want. Maybe it's not always the most efficient or effective, but it's the way I want and that make me happy.
I don't have a tablet, but if I was in the market to buy one I'd most likely consider the tech-reviews I read and on balance would go for an iPad.

Coincidently, I just read in the newspaper that the new iPad3 is on sale in the UK next week at £499
I notice it has 4G connectivity.
Do we have any 4G in UK?
If not when will we get it? It's the 'bee's knee's' by all accounts.

Sorry to mention this lastlid, but the iPad2 16GB Wi-Fi model will drop in price to £329
The report didn't say anything about the 3G model pricing structure.

£500 on a tablet is a bit rich for me, but if we have 4G networks anytime soon I might make an exception. Only if the reviews are good though
Yeah, I believe 4G is on its way in the UK soon, I thought it was on trial somewhere in britain as we speak.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2012/03/01/4g-services-go-live-in-london-40095173/

Of course the 2 will drop in price, as always. but then it makes it more affordable.

Terpe
8th March 2012, 20:15
Yeah, I believe 4G is on its way in the UK soon, I thought it was on trial somewhere in britain as we speak.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/news/networking/2012/03/01/4g-services-go-live-in-london-40095173/

Of course the 2 will drop in price, as always. but then it makes it more affordable.

Thanks for the link lastlid, very interesting read.
Hopefully within the year 4G may start rolling out.

I saw an episode of the BBC programme 'Click' where they absolutely raved about the capabilties and possibilities of 4G

lastlid
8th March 2012, 20:19
Thanks for the link lastlid, very interesting read.
Hopefully within the year 4G may start rolling out.

I saw an episode of the BBC programme 'Click' where they absolutely raved about the capabilties and possibilities of 4G

I think I saw that same program....amazing.

Its been on trial in Cornwall, evidently.

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 20:44
ipad ? :Erm:

I've still to upgrade to a phone with a camera on it. :icon_lol:

stevie c
8th March 2012, 20:47
ipad ? :Erm:

I've still to upgrade to a phone with a camera on it. :icon_lol:

Graham what do you expect you are a yorkshireman :icon_lol:

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 20:48
I consider spending more than 20 quid on a phone excessive. :NoNo:

Oh, and I've got TWO now, what with the 10 quid 'emergency' jobbie I got from Tesco to use in the Phils. :rolleyes:

I've still got 10 free texts left from the 40 peso Smart sim card I bought there too. :cwm3:

lastlid
8th March 2012, 20:50
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PqxH9iXUDf0

Good honest broadband from yorkshire.

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 20:53
Looks a bit pricey to me...bet it's southern-based really. :angry:

£25 to set up ! Cheeky buggers.

stevie c
8th March 2012, 20:54
I said to the wife it is either an ipad 2 or a holiday in the Phils you can guess the answer :Rasp:

She has not mentioned about the ipad since :D

Terpe
8th March 2012, 20:55
I've read somewhere you can get a camera for this one:-

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/incoming/article89240.ece/BINARY/martincooper1_wideweb__470x362,0+(1).jpg

It's a 6x4 plate type :D

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 20:55
I'm with the holiday mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Every 600 quid is an airfare to me. :D

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 20:59
I've read somewhere you can get a camera for this one:-

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/incoming/article89240.ece/BINARY/martincooper1_wideweb__470x362,0+(1).jpg

It's a 6x4 plate type :D

Wow :cwm24:...didn't know you could get them that small now. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF65ONDupaA

stevie c
8th March 2012, 21:03
I'm with the holiday mate. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Every 600 quid is an airfare to me. :D

same here graham every time:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
8th March 2012, 21:04
:laugher::laugher:
:xxgrinning--00xx3: I remember that TV series
very funny :icon_lol:

Terpe
8th March 2012, 21:09
I remember being offered a sales job with Vodaphone in the very very early days.
They offered a basic salary of £15 per week 85% commission and a huge almost free share option.
I thought this is nuts and will never go anywhere...................................:doh

if only ...............

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 21:10
Looks a bit pricey to me...bet it's southern-based really. :angry:

£25 to set up ! Cheeky buggers.

re PlusNet .....No the HQ is in Sheffield (used to be on Sheffield Wednesdays shirts) but owned by BT. I thankfully binned them about 4 years ago and switched to o2 after tiring of their support which isn't in Masham but in New Delhi :)

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 21:13
I remember being offered a sales job with Vodaphone in the very very early days.
They offered a basic salary of £15 per week 85% commission and a huge almost free share option.
I thought this is nuts and will never go anywhere...................................:doh

if only ...............

Me too, and before that....some newfangled thing called 'Sky' TV. :rolleyes:

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 21:14
re PlusNet .....No the HQ is in Sheffield (used to be on Sheffield Wednesdays shirts) but owned by BT. I thankfully binned them about 4 years ago and switched to o2 after tiring of their support which isn't in Masham but in New Delhi :)

Should have set up in Bradford and killed 2 birds with one stone. :rolleyes:

....next to Safestyle UK.

Dedworth
8th March 2012, 21:30
Should have set up in Bradford and killed 2 birds with one stone. :rolleyes:

....next to Safestyle UK.

Great idea - email 'em and suggest it Graham they might give you a years free "Good honest broadband" :D

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 21:39
They can BogOf ! :D

tone
9th March 2012, 23:32
When I was a traveller the iPad was invaluable, 10 hour battery, instant on, very capable media player, quick and easy to browse the web at airports and most importantlt slim and light and easy to travel with especially as I carried a work laptop and DSLR around with me.

Also tonn's of apps and games makes the iPad a truly versatile device - now I cant imagine ever being without one..

I purchased my first iPad (1st gen) 2nd hand just as the "2" came out 32GB+3G paid 400quid and sold it 3 months ago for 320quid. I purchased a new iPad 2 for Rina when that came out last year as a gift - we still have it, and its a cool device.

Right now is a good time to buy!

http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/product/FC769

for the money a refurbished with warranty iPad 2 for under 300quid is what I would call a bargain, and dont forget they hold their value quite well, so eve in a year if you decided to upgrade to the HD variant you'll probably lose no more than 100quid or so.

Anyway just thought I'd throw my 2p's worth in..

Tone

grahamw48
9th March 2012, 23:36
Thanks for that Tone. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yes....about time I got one. :)

tone
9th March 2012, 23:47
As ever a pleasure Mate:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
10th March 2012, 08:19
I purchased my first iPad (1st gen) 2nd hand just as the "2" came out 32GB+3G paid 400quid and sold it 3 months ago for 320quid.

Yes. They do seem to hold their value comparitively well. I looked on ebay for a while and second hand ones, on the hammer price, wern't a lot cheaper than the new ones.

lastlid
10th March 2012, 08:26
http://store.apple.com/uk-edu/product/FC769

for the money a refurbished with warranty iPad 2 for under 300quid is what I would call a bargain, and dont forget they hold their value quite well, so eve in a year if you decided to upgrade to the HD variant you'll probably lose no more than 100quid or so.

Yes. Nice one. Reminds me of the time about 6 years ago when I bought 3 refurbished 30gb ipods, one for me, one for the ex and one for the daughter. They are all still in one piece and working well now, 6 years later. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I really think it is more than just an illusion that the Apple stuff looks and feels so much more robust than its rivals.

The iPad we have was a present from me to the wife when she first arrived here. She left her Samsung Notebook back at home in Cavite with her mom so that she could keep in contact with her mom easily from here. I paid full whack for it as it was a present. Otherwise, refurbished is good.

Dedworth
10th March 2012, 15:55
Even though I knock them and loath Apple thats interesting about them holding their value

lastlid
10th March 2012, 16:06
Even though I knock them and loath Apple thats interesting about them holding their value

Yes. I mean, dont get me wrong, I wouldn't call them a sound investment but they hold their value aswell as any computer hardware ever seems to (depreciates less would be a better way of putting it ).

There's literature about on this topic.

http://blogs.smartmoney.com/paydirt/2011/07/14/the-best-time-to-buy-apple-products/

http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/when-is-a-good-time-to-sell-your-apple-products-if-you-intend-to-upgrade.250064175/

http://www.everythingicafe.com/iphones-hold-their-value-better-than-androids/2012/02/09/

lastlid
10th March 2012, 16:22
Hitler is cautious about iPad 3 (iPad3)

If you go into You tube and seek out this title then you will find further opinion on the iPad 3. It contains swearing so if you are under 18 or are adverse to that sort of thing then do not watch it. On the other hand, if you dont mind a bit of effin and jeffin then go ahead.

I didnt provide a link for the obvious reason.

tone
11th March 2012, 19:12
Those Hitler video's are great - actually the funny one was when X-Box Live went down...

lastlid
11th March 2012, 19:15
Those Hitler video's are great - actually the funny one was when X-Box Live went down...

Yep. I dont know why but they crease me up every time (most of em).

joebloggs
11th March 2012, 19:26
Android is the way to go :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I got a hp touchpad for £100, dual boot WebOS or Android :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
11th March 2012, 20:12

....Also, the Ryanair one. :laugher:

lastlid
13th March 2012, 21:35
A taster.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9s2oYUy_cVY

lastlid
29th March 2012, 12:05
Just had the lowdown on the new iPad from my employer (Mac Guru). He says it isnt really any better than the one he has which is a 2. He acknowldeged that the screen graphics are better but then followed that up by saying that his eyesight isnt good enough to appreciate it.

I saw them in the Apple Shop and the graphics are very good.