PDA

View Full Version : Broken Foot

Rosie1958
8th March 2012, 08:26
Hi

I stumbled in Tesco's car park a week ago and it was confirmed via an xray yesterday that I have broken the fifth metatarsal in my left foot. :yikes: I have a temporary plaster cast and crutches and back to the fracture clinic today for a more permanent one. I'm dangerous with the crutches and need a zimmer frame (!) :olddude:, not able to weight bear or drive.

Just wondering if anyone else has suffered a similar break and what their recovery time was?

Terpe
8th March 2012, 08:54
Oh dear Rosie, sorry to hear that.
Isn't that a footballers injury?

I've got no idea on recovery times :NoNo:

Steve.r
8th March 2012, 08:56
Sorry to hear that Rosie, I hope it gets better soon :)

Doc Alan
8th March 2012, 10:34
I’m sorry to learn of your injury, Rosie, and wish you speedy recovery :xxgrinning--00xx3:. You’re in good company - metatarsal fractures are quite common foot injuries, especially in athletes and footballers including David Beckham, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole and Steve Gerrard ).
There are 5 metatarsal bones in each foot. They are the “ long “ bones between the 'tarsal' bones of the hind-foot and the 'phalanges' bones in the toes.
Fractures of the second – fifth metatarsals may be caused by direct trauma, rotational forces or overuse.
The fifth metatarsal is in 4 segments, each with different types of fracture. Treatment varies depending on the type. Your orthopaedic surgeon is the best to advise you, but normally one’s talking about 6 – 8 weeks for recovery, whatever the type / treatment :).
Fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal are commonest, from twisting injury of the foot or ankle. Immediate walking in a removable plastic cast should be possible.
( Less common fractures :- The junction between the base of the metatarsal and the shaft may give problems when fractured because of poor blood supply. Fractures of shaft are caused by twisting of the foot when landing from a jump, and these heal rapidly with immobilisation. If the fracture is due to direct trauma and the fracture fragments are well aligned, treatment is immobilisation with a removable cast and non-weight bearing. A removable cast is also used for 'march' (stress) fractures of the second metatarsal and rotational fractures of the fifth metatarsal. Stress fractures of the base of the fifth metatarsal may not heal well unless treated by surgical fixation with a small screw. )

raynaputi
8th March 2012, 10:42
Oh I'm so sorry to hear about your accident Rosie..:NoNo: Hoping for your fast recovery..be more careful now..

Arthur Little
8th March 2012, 14:12
:sorry-2: to learn of your mishap Rosie ... it's so easily done! All of us here, send our very best wishes that you'll soon be properly back on your feet again.

lastlid
8th March 2012, 14:42
Tescos again. Every little yelps.

Reminds me of David Beckam's 2nd metatarsal which put him out of action for a good while but then he's a footballer for a living.

Anyhow. Wishing you a speedy recovery. As Arthur says, so easily done......

febmary
8th March 2012, 15:11
Rosie,

Get well soon. Hope a speedy recovery for you.:)

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 17:31
Sorry to hear about your mishap Rosie.

An excuse to pamper yourself and take things easy for a while. :D

stevie c
8th March 2012, 17:38
As other members have said sorry to read of your injury rosie :NoNo:

hope your foot heals soon

Doc Alan
8th March 2012, 17:44
Rosie, please let us know how you get on, and don't hesitate to tell me if my post #4 was inaccurate - your bone doctor knows best :).

imagine
8th March 2012, 17:57
good thing it wasnt a 2 for 1 offer,:Erm:

sorry to hear, i hope it heals soon , i guess it will be painful,

any lumps or bumps in the car park that made you trip,?

Rosie1958
10th March 2012, 15:20
Thank you so much to everyone for your concern and good wishes, they are very much appreciated! :thankyou:

I now have a plaster of paris cast from my toes right up to my knee and I am im-mobile. I will be going back to see the consultant in 5 weeks time and keeping my fingers crossed that the cast can be taken off as I am supposed to be going on holiday the following week (Doc Alan, you are right as I broke the bone over a week ago so another 5 makes 6 weeks). Fortunately, it is a clean simple break without complication, the worst thing is trying to keep my leg up all the time. Every muscle in my body aches so much from using the crutches and going up and down stairs on my bottom :olddude:

Anyway, I have registered my accident with Tesco's , their main Customer Service team based in Cardiff was very sympathetic but insisted I went to the store to register my accident as I had to sign the accident book. I rang ahead to let them know I was coming and when I got there the Duty Manager was awful. She was so rude and disgruntled saying that there was so much paperwork to do and she didn't have time to register my accident as she was running a store. I politely insisted and told her from my wheelchair :wheelchair: that I wouldn't be leaving until it had been recorded. The one page report (half of which was completed by me) was eventually completed in less than 4 minutes and she softened a little bit when I gave her photos of the potholes that caused the accident and my x-rays. To my amazement, she then went back to stacking shelves! :doh So unprofessional and lacking in Customer Care..........

imagine
10th March 2012, 15:36
I rang ahead to let them know I was coming and when I got there the Duty Manager was awful. She was so rude and disgruntled saying that there was so much paperwork to do and she didn't have time to register my accident as she was running a store. I politely insisted and told her from my wheelchair :wheelchair: that I wouldn't be leaving until it had been recorded. The one page report (half of which was completed by me) was eventually completed in less than 4 minutes and she softened a little bit when I gave her photos of the potholes that caused the accident and my x-rays. To my amazement, she then went back to stacking shelves! :doh So unprofessional and lacking in Customer Care..........

put a complaint in about her attitude too Rosie:ReadIt:

hope the plasters off in time for your hols

grahamw48
10th March 2012, 16:06
Amongst the lowest-ranking 'minions' in Tesco is the place to find 'service'.

The rest are merely normal modern-day corporate brain-washed jobsworth clones in my experience. :NoNo:

Glad to hear you're on the mend and in good feisty form Rosie. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevewool
10th March 2012, 16:19
just like the gang has said, sorry to hear your news,:grouphug: from us all

Doc Alan
10th March 2012, 17:13
You've had more sympathy from us than Tescos, Rosie :doh.
Of course I had hoped you wouldn't need a POP cast for so long, very inconvenient. I only hope you didn't have to wait too long to be seen in A + E - should have been under 4 hours - and at follow up.
You had the presence of mind to do " the right things " - photographs and complaining to Tescos - which all adds to the stress and inconvenience.
Take care, and our best wishes for your recovery :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Eyes O'Donnell
11th March 2012, 05:51
Hi Rosie :sorry-2: to hear about your accident.I hope you are feeling better soon. Take care :)

bigmarco
11th March 2012, 06:48
Sorry about your accident Rosie. Hope you recover in time for your Holiday:sorry-2:

Rosie1958
11th March 2012, 19:54
Thank you Eyes O'Donnell and bigmarco :thankyou:

I now have so much empathy for those that are disabled. I can barely do a thing for myself, even standing on one leg in the shower with a waterproof bag on my cast is agony :bigcry: My biggest nightmare is loose children at the moment as they run around and don't look where they are going; life looks so very different from a wheelchair. Roll on 5 weeks time :Jump:

Rosie1958
13th April 2012, 23:13
Yaaaay! Fortunately, my plaster cast was removed yesterday and it looks like I will be going on holiday next week after all. :Jump::Jump: I am so relieved to get that monster cast off my leg! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
13th April 2012, 23:14
Have a great holiday Rosie...but take care of that ankle ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
14th April 2012, 07:29
Good news Rosie, enjoy your holiday ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

KeithD
14th April 2012, 08:53
You'd better skip on the ice skating and Irish dancing for now though ;)

Terpe
14th April 2012, 09:54
Yaaaay! Fortunately, my plaster cast was removed yesterday and it looks like I will be going on holiday next week after all. :Jump::Jump: I am so relieved to get that monster cast off my leg! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good timing :)

Enjoy the holiday Rosie :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
14th April 2012, 13:44
:) Start off on the right foot, :Jump: Rosie ... "cast care :23_111_9[1]: [and chair :wheelchair:] aside" and enjoy your holiday! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Johnnie
14th April 2012, 15:30
Rosie - I do hope that your foot is mended and that you will be able to go on holiday and salsa, rock and boogie to your heart's content.

And thank you for the letter you sent.

Marie
14th April 2012, 16:00
That's a good news sir...be careful next time...enjoy your holiday...

Arthur Little
14th April 2012, 16:29
That's a good news sir ...

... he's a :D she! :Erm: ...

... :sorry-2: for being so pedantic. ;)

andy222
14th April 2012, 20:11
Sorry to here about your foot Rosie. But Im happy you can go on your holdays. Things are looking up. Im surprised Dedworth has not commented. (Tescos) :laugher:

imagine
14th April 2012, 21:57
enjoy your holiday Rosie, best foot forward as they say :xxgrinning--00xx3: