PDA

View Full Version : Food and Water

Terpe
7th March 2012, 21:08
I've been lucky enough to have lived in many different parts of the world.
I spent quite some time living in India. I have no regrets and so many positives were added to my life. But......there were some places where the local water looked like it had leaked out of my car and smelled so bad that it would make your nose hair curl.

Sometimes when I think back I have to smile when I recall how I would drink Coca-Cola and 7-Up all day and brush my teeth with the local beer (or maybe it was the other way round).
I can put my hand on my heart and say I've never yet experienced such places as those in the Philippines, but then again in my own experience, water quality does vary a huge amount throughout the country. Yes, I will agree that some provincial water systems are very good, very pure and tasty (well for water). However, there are a great many that are not.

My own body, common sense and my personal "experience" have told me that whenever I am in any city or any large population centers (especially Manila and Cebu) I should only drink bottled mineral water.
Metro Manila, for sure has some serious municipal water problems. For my specific personal needs, unless I'm 100% certain, then I will buy bottled mineral water. Yep, even for brushing teeth.

When I take a shower I also make sure not to swallow the water. OTT? Too cautious? Maybe, but my approach is based on my own body system and based on some very hard learned experience. You can develop your own over time if you want, or just think about what I am saying. No problem. Your way.

Some folks will also tell you that consuming the ice in "quality" Hotels and "quality" restaurants is perfectly OK.
Whoah, what I say is that you should always beware of ice and always beware of salads wherever you might be. I don't say don't do it, I only say beware, check it out, ask questions, observe, use common sense and make sure you can be 100% comfortable.
Yes, I know the ice and salads scenario has become so cliché it's almost an urban legend, but...... I know what I need to do to be safe and to be happy. To be able to travel around with that certain confidence and not resort to wearing adult pampers. Oh Yes!, I've been there. Not a nice experience in life.
In the provinces filipinos who make ice for consumption would never knowingly use contaminated water, but you do need to be careful. In hotels and in many other commercial settings the situation may be less than adequate. Local knowledge should usually be accurate.
In my view, food quality does depend totally upon who's doing the preps and the cooking. Personally, I feel I can confidently say, at a local level, don't be overly concerned about food, about refrigeration or about food contamination. Like many other similar countries the Philippines has managed with foodstuffs without refrigerators for thousands of years and besides nearly all those that can cook have excellent noses. I know my wife does. Even in UK she knows what's what. What's OK and what's not OK. Trust them, as I trust them and trust my wife.

Something else you will be warned about is street food vendors and such. You know, those places. For me fantastic aromas, alluring sights and tasty bites.
Despite all the stories you may have heard, despite whatever you may have been told about so called 'street food'. I have never had even the slightest problem. Just take a little extra care where you buy and use a little common sense.
You know, when food is cooked at a high enough temperature there is not going to be a problem. Use your eyes. Make sure your food is cooked in front of your eyes. Look and see where the raw ingedients are stored. Let your observations guide you.

Having said all that, well, personally I would definitely draw the line at eating Pag Pag.
If you feel you want to try, go ahead, be my guest but don't say you haven't been warned. If you don't know what is Pag Pag, Google it!

I do routinely eat from the street vendors when I'm in the city. I used to have my favourites when I was a regular traveller.
To be totally honest, I haven't always been able to avoid some minor issues, but I usually had a feeling that the most likely places I've gotten LBM (Loose Bowel Movement) so far, has been in the shopping mall food courts and some of the fast food outlets,and then only very infrequently.
Maybe you need a kind of 'practiced eye', but if you're like me you'll know or at least you'll have a gut feel for any doubts about the sources of foods you come across and you'll take your chances accordingly, like we all do. You might logically think that Filipino's have developed some special natural immunities, and to be honest maybe they have, for some things, but be informed, they do also suffer from the same bacterial parasites and intestinal infections or maladies that we all do.
I'd rather trust the street vendor, who needs their customers to return and so has a 'stake' in doing things right, than that disgruntled kitchen operative in Joe's Manok resto

For the most part, the problem that travelers experience is often caused by the mere change of environment, change of climate and change of diet.

If you're really concerned about health issue relating to these changes then do consider carrying a personal supply of your favourite (or local) remedy just in case and relax and enjoy the local delicacies.

Bottom line .....(no pun intended there Hehe) is stay healthy and stay happy

Think sensibly about food and water. I do.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/5953319639_9b5b578b28_o.jpg

raynaputi
7th March 2012, 21:12
Okay Terpe, now you made me crave of Filipino food again with that photo! :hubbahubba:

Terpe
7th March 2012, 21:15
Okay Terpe, now you made me crave of Filipino food again with that photo! :hubbahubba:

Hehe, I was waiting for that :icon_lol:

Now just wait for foodie Moy :icon_lol:

lastlid
7th March 2012, 22:15
The flipside of the water element of the thread is that my mrs refused to accept it was okay to drink the tapwater in the UK. :icon_lol:

scottishbride
7th March 2012, 22:30
http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6026/5953319639_9b5b578b28_o.jpg[/QUOTE] Yum, yum! :hubbahubba:

Doc Alan
8th March 2012, 13:49
Of course common sense, experience, good observation, and an element of luck help to avoid problems when travelling abroad, as in the UK.
Unfortunately Filipinos don’t have – or suffer – from the same “ parasites and infections “ that we do in the UK. The normal “ flora “ / “ bugs “ living in the gut are different. Until we acquire those, we commonly get a mild form of “ travellers’ diarrhoea “, or constipation, which is nothing to do with dangerous pathogens. It just reflects change of diet and different “ bugs “. More serious infections have a different frequency and / or type of organism to those in the UK.
Both in UK and Philippines, several different viruses cause gastroenteritis ( inflammation of stomach and intestines ). These include noroviruses ( no vaccine but usually not serious, unless there are other health problems especially in the elderly, or infants ). Viral gastroenteritis is often called " stomach flu " ( although it's not caused by the flu virus ), and norovirus " winter vomiting virus " ( because in this country there are more infections in winter ). Norovirus has recently been reported to be resistant to antiseptics and hand – washing, making it harder to avoid.
More severe forms are usually associated with bacteria ( E.coli, Salmonella, Campylobacter, and Shigella ), a protozoan ( Giardia ) or Rotavirus ( for which there is a vaccine ). Vaccination is recommended for typhoid and hepatitis A ; although available, cholera is not usually needed ( all are allowable within the NHS ). Mild symptoms can be controlled with antimotility agents such as loperamide. More severe, prolonged symptoms may require an antibiotic ( ciprofloxacin or metronidazole ). Antibiotics should NOT be taken prophylactically (for " prevention " ). They are prescription-only in the UK and readily available to buy in the Philippines.
Medical assistance is needed, wherever the symptoms occur, if the bowel motions are blood-stained, there is a fever, other symptoms like confusion, or the diarrhoea persists longer than 72 hours. Not common, but MUST be taken seriously :yikes:.

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 17:26
I absolutely agree with your precautions as regards Manila tap water (and derivatives of).

Manila is the only place in the Phils where I have ever experienced gastric problems (Amoebic diarwhatsitsname) in 22 years of visiting and living.

Obviously food hygiene is also extremely important wherever you are. :)

Doc Alan
8th March 2012, 18:15
It was probably amoebic dysentery, Graham ( I didn’t list all causes in one post ). This exists worldwide, 1/10 of the world’s population is thought to be infected, mostly in the tropics, caused by a protozoon ( Entamoeba ). In fact only a small proportion have significant disease ( depending on the type of amoeba ). Contaminated fruit and vegetables are the likely source. It is ONE cause of painful bloody diarrhoea – which no one could ignore – although it may start some time after the infection. Liver abscess may be a complication. Diagnosis is straightforward ( stool sample and biopsy of large bowel ). Treatment is with metronidazole ( 800 mg X 3 / day for 5 days ), then diloxanide ( 500 mg X 3 / 10 days ) with support ( fluids, aspiration of abscess ). There’s no vaccine.

Jamesey
8th March 2012, 21:15
I have always drunk the tap water in Manila and Cebu.

However, I tend to be much more cautious in the provinces, where I try to stick to bottled water.

Maybe I've got this the wrong way around, but I've never had a serious stomach bug in the Philippines.

I also eat street food and anything else that looks interesting! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
8th March 2012, 21:19
I think you've got it the wrong way round...but if in doubt, boil the water in the province for 15 mins.

Think about all the flooding in Manila and the proximity of leaky sewage pipes to leaky water pipes. :cwm24:

I also believe that you build up some 'different' bacteria in your gut over a number of visits, and this probably helps you adjust to the local food and bugs. Just my theory. :)

Doc Alan
9th March 2012, 01:10
I also believe that you build up some 'different' bacteria in your gut over a number of visits, and this probably helps you adjust to the local food and bugs. Just my theory. :)
As I said in #6, it's not just theory but true Graham :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

grahamw48
9th March 2012, 01:12
Ah yes. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Iani
10th March 2012, 20:18
Street food - probably ok as the stuff it's fried in, well nothing could survive that ;)

It's just using common sense though.

Never been to Phils, but my experiences in Thailand - and really this translates to any similar sort of country which is warm, tropical and without the best infrastructure.

One crazy thing that happens in Thailand, is "Songkran". This is the new year, and it's traditional to have water fights in the street (Which at that time of year is very welcome).
The big problem is when you get a load of drunk foreigners in the resorts, using it as an excuse for yobbery, and let's just say the water comes from any source they can find.
As you can imagine, I know a number of expats and tourists who have experienced stomach problems after some idiot threw water from a ditch over them at Songkran. This is in SE Asia for goodness sake, there is no way ingesting water from a ditch is going to have a happy ending

Steve.r
10th March 2012, 20:39
Last time I was there (2 months stay) I only got bad once, and it was all over in a day, I think down to something I had eaten in the mall of all places :doh
However, as has been said, I trust my wife's nose 100% and she will never give me anything that she thinks I cant tollerate. At our house in the province we have our own well and pressured water system. The well pipe goes down 40 meters into the water table and it is safe to drink from the tap right out the ground.I also eat most street food, but I dont like Burger Machine burgers. :vomit-smiley-011:

davidwilliams
3rd April 2012, 07:47
Food and water, both of these are important one for our life, without these we can't live.

Terpe
3rd April 2012, 07:50
Perahps you and Basil should get together on that before it's too late :doh

thomasmite996
5th April 2012, 07:05
Foods and water are must take at the same time. Foods are used to stay healthy and water is used to maintain life.

Terpe
5th April 2012, 08:10
Foods and water are must take at the same time. Foods are used to stay healthy and water is used to maintain life.

Yup, especially important in the area where you live:D

:FlippieSpammer: