PDA

View Full Version : Klm

andy222
7th March 2012, 16:43
I dont know what this airline is playing at. They have teamed up with china airways. The route to manila is changing. I dont know why they are doing this.

grahamw48
7th March 2012, 17:11
Hmm...hope you get a KLM pilot.

I remember passing this scene on my way to work in Hong Kong back in the 90s. :cwm24:

http://www.airdisaster.com/photos/ci605/photo.shtml

Dedworth
9th March 2012, 00:35
I dont know what this airline is playing at. They have teamed up with china airways. The route to manila is changing. I dont know why they are doing this.

http://www.malaya.com.ph/oct19/busi6.html

THE top executive of Air France-KLM in Manila, fed up with promises from bureaucrats that burdensome taxes would soon go, yesterday said direct flights between Manila and Amsterdam will cease next April.

"Once we stop our flights, it will send a signal that doing business in the Philippines is very difficult and no European carrier will fly to the Philippines," said Cees Ursem, country manager of Air France-KLM.

He said the only way the government can stop the airline from carrying out the planned withdrawal is to "abolish the common carriers tax and the gross Philippine billings tax on cargo and passenger revenues tomorrow."

"The airline business worldwide is in a very bad shape," he said. "We are absolutely not happy and absolutely oppose these taxes."

The airline’s decision to stop direct flights between the two cities was prompted by the government’s insistence on charging a 3-percent common carriers tax and a 2.5-percent gross Philippine billings tax on cargo and passenger revenues originating in the country.

The taxes, together with increasing competition from heavily subsidized Middle Eastern airlines, have forced other European airlines out of the Philippine market over the last decade.

Those that no longer serve Manila include British Airways, Sabena (Belgian airlines); Lufthansa (Germany); Alitalia (Italy); Scandinavian Airlines System (SAS); Swissair (now Swiss International Airlines); and Air France (which has a code-sharing arrangement with KLM).

Ursem, who has been in the country over the last two years, said that from November 1, the carrier will shift from daily flights to six times a week.

Next April, Air France-KLM will altogether stop direct flights to Manila and fly via Hong Kong instead, he said. "Then we resume daily operations again via Hong Kong," he added.

He said the move will also affect crew accommodations at local hotels because layovers will be spent in Hong Kong.

"We use 11,000 rooms in Manila per year but that will all be gone," Ursem said.

He said since the imposition of the taxes in 1997, seven European air carriers have ceased flying to Manila.

He said the taxes are especially harmful to airlines flying long distances to reach the Philippines, in view of the high cost of aviation fuel.

"The taxes are levied over the value of the ticket," he said, adding that European carriers pay the maximum price, regional carriers pay far less, and Philippine carriers do not pay the taxes at all.

Told that Transportation and Communications Secretary Mar Roxas was quoted in the papers as saying he would talk to them, Ursem said he has heard similar promises before.

"I have talked to Teves (former Finance Secretary Margarito Teves); Purisima, (Finance Secretary Cesar V. Purisima); Mandanas (Rep. Hermilando I. Mandanas, who is chairman of the House committee on ways and means), Belmonte, (Speaker Feliciano Belmonte Jr.); Lim (former Tourism Secretary Alberto Lim); Alvarez (former Customs Commissioner Angelito Alvarez); Ochoa (Executive Secretary Paquito Ochoa)."

He said he has sent many letters to President Aquino.

"How many more letters do we have to send? Who is solving our problem?" he said.

grahamw48
9th March 2012, 00:41
Greedy Phils govt. just don't get it do they. :rolleyes:

Same when they tried to hike up the bases rent to the Yanks....in the name of national pride. :NoNo:

How many American bases do we have here in the UK ? Anyone complaining ? :Erm:

tone
9th March 2012, 00:46
What a total idiot!! How much revenue will Manila lose now! All thos hotel rooms and expenses that form revenue for the Phils lost because they continue to tax the hell out of the airlines..
Its probably my biggest bug bear not being able to fly direct - and I really didnt understand why until I read this so thanks for the education!

Tone

Dedworth
9th March 2012, 01:46
What a total idiot!! How much revenue will Manila lose now! All thos hotel rooms and expenses that form revenue for the Phils lost because they continue to tax the hell out of the airlines..
Its probably my biggest bug bear not being able to fly direct - and I really didnt understand why until I read this so thanks for the education!

Tone

Cutting off their nose to spite their face - a bunch of mugs

tone
9th March 2012, 15:14
What needs to really happen is the Businesses understanding what they are missing out on as a result of these taxes and lobbying the Gov to reassess the situation, but somehow I doubt they are going to do this and we will have to fly indirectly - across the Middle East!

I for one would not really want to have to land in Hong Kong, get my bags and then go to another terminal, check-in, immigration, security etc to get my next flight.

Tone

tanga
10th March 2012, 05:39
Seems the complaints from the airlines have fallen on dead ears.
The DOT want 10m tourist arrivals by 2016
The increase wont be from Europe.
The market seems to being aimed at middle class Chinese and Koreans

Its more fun flying to The Philippines

andy222
10th March 2012, 10:04
Thanks for the info folks I just came across it while I was looking to book my flight. Great research ded.:xxgrinning--00xx3: