PDA

View Full Version : BIOS update Headache

imagine
5th March 2012, 23:22
i have a toshiba satellite lap top, they sent a message via their update notices , telling me there was a BIOS update i should download, i have never updated BIOS on any puter before and proberbly never again,:NoNo: i believe its driver softwear for the motherboard if im right?

the instructions wouldnt open, but stupid me continued to download the update, not sure once started i could stop it anyway,

when it finished it lost my internet connection, then loaded new wirless lan drivers , after that i still had no wirless connection,
so i re installed my router ,,, stress stresss,

im not sure my lap top is working properly now, but should have been improved, some web pages seem slower now, even at times frozen,hotmail i could sign in but couldnt open individual mail,also had 1 blue screen shutdown,
i rebooted my router a couple of times to be sure it was working ok ect,

but im not sure if my prob is now the router or lap top thats suffered the update , or both,,,

seems to be a little better tonight, i dont know if sometimes these things take a little time to settle in,

i wouldnt advise anyone who hasnt done this to do it, if you never done it before even if your lap top service tells you to :NoNo:

Terpe
6th March 2012, 09:05
Looks like no-one has any idea. :NoNo:
Me too, I just get so frustrated when things just don't work out.

lastlid
6th March 2012, 09:49
Our I.T. dudes used to say, don't mess with the BIOS settings. They did of course as they knew what they were doing. But occasionally we had to do it as in the middle of the north sea one was a million miles away from tech support. One of the secrets was, if ever we changed a BIOS setting was to make a note of the original setting and always go back to the original settings if necessary. Another was to keep a disc with such settings on.......I am a little out of my depth here, but do you have a rescue disc or the like for your laptop....

KeithD
6th March 2012, 10:26
You sure it was BIOS? As that shouldn't really effect the running of the system noticable to you, and only takes a few seconds to do, and generally it runs in a safe DOS mode as it's dangerous running it direct from Windows. Sounds like some normal uploads may have gone a bit weird on you, so just do a System Restore.

imagine
6th March 2012, 12:05
You sure it was BIOS? As that shouldn't really effect the running of the system noticable to you, and only takes a few seconds to do, and generally it runs in a safe DOS mode as it's dangerous running it direct from Windows. Sounds like some normal uploads may have gone a bit weird on you, so just do a System Restore.

it said important BIOS driver updates , what i did read said for motherboard ,and about update said will give better enhancement onscreen, the notes have disapeared now so thats just a little about what i remember, the download install didnt take long at all, it was the mess it left me in after sorting out my wep router connection ect, i would never have considered messing with anything to do with bios, but as it was from toshiba for my lap top i did,,, wish i hadnt :NoNo::icon_lol:

i did do a system restore, though a restore point wasnt saved just prior to this, i took one from a week or 2 ago,

and iv done all the maintenance too to try clean things up, seems to be running better now,
but dont feel its quite right, i can can just see how it goes on,,

i know one thing , never again :icon_lol:

imagine
6th March 2012, 12:11
Our I.T. dudes used to say, don't mess with the BIOS settings. They did of course as they knew what they were doing. But occasionally we had to do it as in the middle of the north sea one was a million miles away from tech support. One of the secrets was, if ever we changed a BIOS setting was to make a note of the original setting and always go back to the original settings if necessary. Another was to keep a disc with such settings on.......I am a little out of my depth here, but do you have a rescue disc or the like for your laptop....

thats what i always say,, if it aint broke,,, dont fix it,, wish i practiced what i preach :icon_lol:

yes i have a rescue disc, but i dont think that would reset any bios updates to original factory settings, i think it proberbly only reset the windows system itself,

i know i should have left alone :doh, i dont know enough on anything to do with bios, i only did it because it came from toshibas updates service

lastlid
6th March 2012, 12:13
thats what i always say,, if it aint broke,,, dont fix it,, wish i practiced what i preach :icon_lol:

yes i have a rescue disc, but i dont think that would reset any bios updates to original factory settings, i think it proberbly only reset the windows system itself,

i know i should have left alone :doh, i dont know enough on anything to do with bios, i only did it because it came from toshibas updates service

Yes. The only time I ever altered BIOS settings was on someone elses computers....:icon_lol:, not on my own.

imagine
6th March 2012, 12:15
im blaming toshiba, i wipe my hands :icon_lol::icon_lol:

imagine
7th March 2012, 04:28

took the day thinking of what you said aabout bios shouldnt effect,,

looks like some coincidental happenings which i thought was the bios update,

though i think because of the update, it caused windows to update wirless adapters and kicked out my wirless connection somehow, after sorting that, it still didnt seem right,, so like i say thought about what you said,for a while before having a good second check over my comp, remember i said also i did a restore to try fix it, well today i scanned for outdated programs again, i had just a few days ago updated flash and adobe, i looked in programs to find the old ones where back alongside the new ones, must have been the restore caused it,, i uninstalled the old ones again, and fingers crossed everythings seems good now,

thanks boss for you help, and everyones elses input too :xxgrinning--00xx3: