PDA

View Full Version : Am I qualified as a Sponsor? How can I help?

pennybarry
19th June 2007, 05:59
I have niece who wants to study short courses after she finished Nursing and waiting for her Board Exam Result. I am planning to enrol her at Edinburgh Univ. which is the nearest university in my place. I am just staying in the UK for 7 months and still holding Filipino passport. Am I qualified to sponsor her? Any Filipino here lives near Edinburgh Univ. who can tell me some info about room accommodation rates, safety etc.?
Thank you for any help or advice.
penny

LadyJ
19th June 2007, 10:41
Hi penny, can you tell me what is your status in UK? you said you're just staying in the UK for 7 months? can you explain this a little bit more.

joebloggs
19th June 2007, 10:54
i hope you've found the hidden marcos money :REGamblMoney01HL1: pennybarry .. i would worry about the costs. international student fees are high, and i would say minimum for accommodation, food, books + fees, at least £9000 :yikes: for a year, depending on the course it could be even a lot more.. could be even double that to do some medical courses

i would find out how much it would cost in fees first, before even thinking of trying to sponosor her. i tihnk your going to be :omg:

but good luck to her :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andypaul
19th June 2007, 18:48
i hope you've found the hidden marcos money :REGamblMoney01HL1: pennybarry .. i would worry about the costs. international student fees are high, and i would say minimum for accommodation, food, books + fees, at least £9000 :yikes: for a year, depending on the course it could be even a lot more.. could be even double that to do some medical courses

i would find out how much it would cost in fees first, before even thinking of trying to sponosor her. i tihnk your going to be :omg:

but good luck to her :xxgrinning--00xx3:

9000 sounds cheap to me.

Also getting the Visa is hard im sure i saw the Student still has to show reasonable reason to return to phill.

joebloggs
19th June 2007, 19:34
yes 9k is on the low side, medical ones, the fees go up to £22k + for a year :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

iam sure not many people have 10-20k spare to pay for a course+rent

yes the reject rate is high for student visas.. around 40% :omg:

but you have to laugh, just seen on a uni web site this "fees are higher than for a UK student because the UK government subsidises the fees for EU students

what is the point any more, no point in being british :cwm24: its time i applied for a lithuanian passport ....

KeithD
20th June 2007, 10:03
This is to ensure that the only non-Europeans in our universities are future terrorists.....as they can afford to come :doh

pennybarry
20th June 2007, 16:41
Thanks for all the info. I thought it's not that expensive for 6 months course. I have read some of the thread here about Filipinos who got their student visa without sponsor here in the UK.
Yes I am not that rich to spend 9k:Brick::omg::BouncyHappy:.
Will just tell her to wait for her Board Exam Result and apply for IELTS Test to British Council in the Phil.:bigcry:
http://www.britishcouncil.org/philippines-learning-exams-ielts.htm
Thanks again!