PDA

View Full Version : Is Insect Repellent cheaper and Better In Philippines than in UK?

Jason Jo
27th February 2012, 14:22
I am wondering (to avoid filling up baggage space and needless expense) if it is cheaper to buy insect repellent in Philippine stores or buy in UK first?

Can I buy 50% deet repellent in Philippines? I understand that "OFF" is only 25% deet.

Ann1984
27th February 2012, 14:25
yes buy here in PI very cheap.. i recommend OFF Lotion.:)

Ann1984
27th February 2012, 14:30
OFF! Overtime insect repellent lotion is good for mosquito, especially at nights.:)

joebloggs
27th February 2012, 14:31
yes buy here in PI very cheap.. i recommend OFF Lotion.:)

does it work on scousers too :rolleyes:

Dedworth
27th February 2012, 14:45
does it work on scousers to :rolleyes:

That's Eff Off lotion Joe

lastlid
27th February 2012, 14:46
I stupidly took some out in my hand baggage and of course it was taken off me before even boarding my flight :doh:D

Jason Jo
27th February 2012, 14:55
I stupidly took some out in my hand baggage and of course it was taken off me before even boarding my flight :doh:D

Is it supposed to be put in the cargo baggage? What did you do?

Jason Jo
27th February 2012, 14:57
is 25% deet enough to protect from bites during a say 6-7 hour sleep?

Steve.r
27th February 2012, 15:24
Again, I must say that you are going over the top even paranoid about mosquitos in Phils. I am the first to admit that I hate the things, but if you are aware of them and how to protect yourself then you will be fine. I would never spray myself before bed with a repellant, I just use a mozzie net for a double bed that I got from Boots, or one I ordered from an online shop. Do you really want to go to bed all sticky from repellant when you want to cuddle your lady ?? It dont taste good :Rasp:

Ann1984
27th February 2012, 15:41
Hello Jason, you can use OFF lotion for overnight. when my partner stay with me i used him an Off lotion and we use mosquito net.
OFF Lotion - its provide up to 8 hours, continuous protections from dengue - carrying mosquitoes. its perfectly for daily use. an had a DermaCool formula feels cool on your skin. :)

bruce
27th February 2012, 15:52
oh i want to share something! a spray for the house that will kill everything and has a nice smell.... lol (i dont sound too excited there?) my husband and i often buy baygon spray for mosquitoes but it dont work and too dear to use everytime,,u myt want to try the chinese sprays it will kill every creepy flying thing even a huge cockroach if there is! ask ur wife if she knows that big bottle chinese spray that cost 99 peso? it is worth it believe me,ants wont even crawl in your room! it has a nicer smell than baygon too... iv got spray here name is baolilai colour yellow spray..just try it it works well only 99!! lol (i sound like im selling it:icon_lol:)

Steve.r
27th February 2012, 16:09
oh i want to share something! a spray for the house that will kill everything and has a nice smell.... lol (i dont sound too excited there?) my husband and i often buy baygon spray for mosquitoes but it dont work and too dear to use everytime,,u myt want to try the chinese sprays it will kill every creepy flying thing even a huge cockroach if there is! ask ur wife if she knows that big bottle chinese spray that cost 99 peso? it is worth it believe me,ants wont even crawl in your room! it has a nicer smell than baygon too... iv got spray here name is baolilai colour yellow spray..just try it it works well only 99!! lol (i sound like im selling it:icon_lol:)

Not selling, just good advice thank you. We use Baygon too, but like you say, not the best smell. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
27th February 2012, 16:29
Is it supposed to be put in the cargo baggage? What did you do?Yes. Okay in cargo baggage....I believe.

When I got out to Phils I didnt bother buying any as my wife told me not to bother. I anticipated buying one of those electronic plug in gadgets but didnt buy one in the end, partly for the same reason and partly as I didnt see any about when I was in Phils.

lastlid
27th February 2012, 16:31
Watch out as the most effective repellants can be none too good for humans :icon_lol:......an advantage of buying in the UK is that you will at least buy a repellant that isnt going to affect you or your family adversely.

Dedworth
27th February 2012, 18:06
I am wondering (to avoid filling up baggage space and needless expense) if it is cheaper to buy insect repellent in Philippine stores or buy in UK first?

Are you talking about industrial quantities or personal use type amounts ?

Jason Jo
27th February 2012, 19:57
Are you talking about industrial quantities or personal use type amounts ?

I read that each person needs about 60mls per week of 50% deet. Therefore, I will need to get about 600mls

Steve.r
27th February 2012, 21:30
I read that each person needs about 60mls per week of 50% deet. Therefore, I will need to get about 600mls

Are you going to be drinking the stuff, bathing in it or using it as a lubricant???

Enough of the joking Jo, fun while it lasted. One bottle of Jungle formula is enough for a 2 week stay.

Here is a link to all you need for your holiday:

http://www.chemistdirect.co.uk/jungle-formula-maximum-strength-irf4-pump-spray_1_6512.html

Maybe someone is telling you porkies or you are a bit gullable :doh

Rory
27th February 2012, 21:45
Am I risking getting dengue or anything else, I never use any repellent sprays. I do get a few bites but not many when I am there.
I do not wear open shoes and always wear Jeans and never shorts when out. Good advise about the mozzle net as I used to stay in hotels there but have an apartment there now with no air con. :doh

Steve.r
27th February 2012, 21:51
Nothing in life is risk free Rory, take the precautions that you feel necessary. Doc Alan has posted lots of threads telling us all about the risks of Malaria and Denge. Taking no precautions for me would be a risk, one bite can be all it takes.

Doc Alan
27th February 2012, 23:41
Here ( once again ) are the links and advice which I provided on the thread about visiting Luzon *:- http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ngue-Fever-Map
http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ee-for-5-Years
http://filipinaroses.com/sh...ut-be-patient-!
http://filipinaroses.com/sh...to-Philippines
You should also read this month's advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office ( FCO ) :- http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-...ia/philippines
Of course it’s important to get things in perspective. Most visits to the Philippines are safe if you’re well prepared, and plan several weeks before you go.

* http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/36396-Philippine-Tourists-Spots-in-Luzon?highlight=

Dedworth
2nd March 2012, 00:57
I think this and the OP's other thread about malaria in Luzon are p1ss takes

Doc Alan
2nd March 2012, 01:13
I think this and the OP's other thread about malaria in Luzon are p1ss takes
You're probably right Ded :doh. I just hope those links are useful to other members. I do understand that many members read them even if they don't post responses :).

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 01:59
Also depends on time of year and location.

I've just got back, and have to say not even one mossie bite......sitting about bare-legged and arms too. I never use any kind of repellent, just rely on my natural unwashed stench of BO, stale beer and cigs to see the little critters off.

Works for me. :)

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 09:03
Also depends on time of year and location.

I've just got back, and have to say not even one mossie bite......sitting about bare-legged and arms too. I never use any kind of repellent, just rely on my natural unwashed stench of BO, stale beer and cigs to see the little critters off.

Works for me. :)

It's my understanding that they only go for good blood Graham...

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 09:04
Also they tend to like stagnant water and in the Philippines, it seems, it rains too often, is too windy and the rainwater runs off the land so fast it doesnt get enough time to lay stagnant...:icon_lol:

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 09:10
:icon_lol:

Seriously though, I wonder if one does build up some sort of natural repellent to them, as over the years I've found that they've troubled me less and less.

I'd bought some 'rubbing alcohol', but had no need of it at all this time.

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 09:49
My ex wife is Scottish and on occasion we would visit Scotland for a holiday. If so, it was her that got bitten and not me. Same elsewhere. On holiday in Portugal, she got bitten and not me.

She fell ill in Portugal after being bitten by mosquitos and she found out that mosquitos detect their feed over great distances. We joked about them flying in from North Africa, for a feeding frenzy on her fine blood, in the Algarve.

I dont know if the gist of this is simply an old (ex) wives tail or if its true but I think there is some truth to it.

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 09:51

Seriously though, I wonder if one does build up some sort of natural repellent to them, as over the years I've found that they've troubled me less and less.

My current wife always says there is no need for anti malaria medication for her and her family in the Philippines and presumably it is because they build up immunity against bites etc.

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 10:06
Well in the province the youngest kids seem to get attacked by them (hence all the scars on them from picking the bites), but not so much the adults. :Erm:

Interesting.

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 10:21
A lot of people I came across in the oil industry that worked in far flung places said that Tonic water worked well. Few wanted to take anti maria tablets because of the side effects. Goes back to times in India and all that. But I read just recently that that is just a myth.

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 10:24
Well, chemicals do come out through the pores in our skin, so who knows ? :Erm:

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 10:29
So if you are a gin and tonic drinker then you are ok. :xxgrinning--00xx3:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tonic_water

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 10:41
But of course...forgot about that (Quinine). :doh

Drink enough G & Ts and you won't care anyway. :Cuckoo: :icon_lol:

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 10:42
Drink enough G & Ts and you won't care anyway. :Cuckoo: :icon_lol:

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 10:44
Either that or drink a glass of insect repellant every night. :icon_lol:

Steve.r
2nd March 2012, 10:58
I was always told that if you eat bananas, the mosquitos are attracted to the postasium in them, apparently they can smell it as it is sweated out of your skin.

Not sure if there is any truth in that

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:01
I was always told that if you eat bananas, the mosquitos are attracted to the postasium in them, apparently they can smell it as it is sweated out of your skin.

Not sure if there is any truth in that

Maybe not so crazy an idea. I know my ex wife ate quite differently to me. I tend to like sweet foods and puddings where she stuck to savoury only. There is little doubt in my mind that mosquitos are selective in who they bite.

Doc Alan
2nd March 2012, 11:01
Tonic water used to contain quinine, a natural alkaloid which was for 300 years the antimalarial drug of choice. Gin was added to make the taste less bitter, and the drink was introduced in India during British colonial days. Quinine is still used in treatment of malaria but not as a first line drug. It also reduces fever and is a pain killer. Several hundred mg a day are needed to be effective.
One Gin and Tonic contains about 2 units of alcohol and used to contain 20 mg of quinine ( now it's just flavouring ). Even in the past, malaria would indeed be the least of your problems after bingeing on 50 G + T's :yikes:

Steve.r
2nd March 2012, 11:10
Even in the past, malaria would indeed be the least of your problems after bingeing on 50 G + T's :yikes:

:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:12
Just been googling and came across this....

"Chemical repellents like OFF! repel mosquitoes, but not because mosquitoes don’t like the smell of these repellents. Rather, it’s because the chemical DEET is very effective at masking the smell of carbon dioxide and lactic acid. When you’re wearing DEET, the mosquitoes can’t smell you and so they leave you alone. Natural repellents like geranium oil or citronella work the same way, they just don’t seem to be quite as effective as DEET.

Why Do Mosquitoes Like Certain People?

You’ve probably noticed that mosquitoes seem to be more attracted to some people than others. That is also because of smell—and not because mosquitoes prefer certain blood-types, as people sometimes say.

Each of us has a distinctive smell, a sort of aromatic fingerprint. There are about 400 or so different aromatic compounds that make up the human scent—and about 30 of them appear to have a masking effect. If any of these compounds happen to be prominent in your aromatic fingerprint, it tends to make you less visible to mosquitoes. Other compounds act as attractants, making certain people not just visible to mosquitoes but bona fide mosquito magnets. About 10% of the population are mosquito magnets.

So, is there anything you can do to manipulate your smell in a way that makes you less appealing to mosquitoes? Is there any truth to the old wives’ tale that eating garlic can repel mosquitoes? Actually, there is."

http://nutritiondiva.quickanddirtytips.com/what-to-eat-to-avoid-mosquito-bites.aspx

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:24
http://www.webmd.com/allergies/features/are-you-mosquito-magnet

Are you a mosquito magnet......

(My ex wife was)

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 11:31
Could it be the 70s Old Spice I'm still eking out ? :Erm:

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 11:34
Tonic water used to contain quinine, a natural alkaloid which was for 300 years the antimalarial drug of choice. Gin was added to make the taste less bitter, and the drink was introduced in India during British colonial days. Quinine is still used in treatment of malaria but not as a first line drug. It also reduces fever and is a pain killer. Several hundred mg a day are needed to be effective.
One Gin and Tonic contains about 2 units of alcohol and used to contain 20 mg of quinine ( now it's just flavouring ). Even in the past, malaria would indeed be the least of your problems after bingeing on 50 G + T's :yikes:

Never again....:cwm3:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3861/20050612000631jz8.jpg

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:35
Could it be the 70s Old Spice I'm still eking out ? :Erm:

I guess that would confuse em....or maybe the great smell of Brut...

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:36
Never again....:cwm3:

http://img155.imageshack.us/img155/3861/20050612000631jz8.jpg

Is that you? :icon_lol:

grahamw48
2nd March 2012, 11:39
Thanks. :laugher:

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 11:44
:icon_lol: Just jesting...hard to tell from the angle and dim light....:icon_lol:

Dedworth
10th March 2012, 16:00
:crazy: what kind of bizarre kick do you get Jason Jo posting inane remarks on this and your other thread about mozzies in Luzon ?

Ako Si Jamie
28th April 2012, 02:21
just rely on my natural unwashed stench of BO, stale beer and cigs to see the little critters off.