PDA

View Full Version : Philippine Tourists Spots in Luzon

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 21:22
Hi Everyone

Newbie here.

I will be travelling to Philippines in one week spending 3 weeks there. I will be focussed on staying in Luzon.

For various reasons (long story) I do not want to take anti malarial tablets but will cover up with repellant.

I read the following:
"anti malrial tablets are recommended for rural areas at altitudes less than 600 m (1,969 ft) on the islands of Luzon

Does that include beaches and other popular tourist resorts which are obviously below 600 metres?

I am trying to plan my itinerary of places to visit but do not know which places are malaria free. What rule of thumb should I use?

For example what about the hundred Islands and rafting or swimming there?

Does anybody have a list of good tourists spots in LUZON Islands (which have "safe" hotels, reasonably priced) which do not require the tablets?

Thanks so much
Jason

raynaputi
24th February 2012, 22:21
take a look at this and it will give you ideas about areas in the Philippines relating to malaria..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/30988-Philippine-Malaria-Mosquito-Map-Dengue-Fever-Map

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 22:29
take a look at this and it will give you ideas about areas in the Philippines relating malaria..

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/30988-Philippine-Malaria-Mosquito-Map-Dengue-Fever-Map

Thanks for that. Actually I already saw that map. It doesn't help because it doesn't tell me where the specific safe tourist spots are or answer my other questions. I did try to use it but could not get the answers to my questions. Thanks for trying though!

lastlid
24th February 2012, 22:41
Interesting. I wonder why Samar and Cebu is low risk for malaria?

lastlid
24th February 2012, 22:43
Does anybody have a list of good tourists spots in LUZON Islands (which have "safe" hotels, reasonably priced) which do not require the tablets?

Thanks so much
Jason

For a family? You could try Island Cove in Cavite.

I am interested to see what others say on this. I emailed relevant persons on malaria risk in Samar and was told malaria had been eliminated there. I assumed from that, that malaria was absent everywhere in Phils so during my two trips last year to Manila and Cavite I took no anti malaria precautions whatsoever. I never did get bitten and never got malaria.

sheriel
24th February 2012, 22:46
Hello Jason Jo, when we travel to Philippines ,to avoid being eaten by Mosquito,Boots Chemist sell wrist bands containing Chemical that prevents any bites from Mosquito,they look like cheap plastic watch,they are only about £5 for two,and will be your best freind in the Philippines. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
24th February 2012, 22:50
Thanks for that. Actually I already saw that map. It doesn't help because it doesn't tell me where the specific safe tourist spots are or answer my other questions. I did try to use it but could not get the answers to my questions. Thanks for trying though!

I don't know if there is a specific map or documents or any websites that would tell every places in the Philippines and it's malaria risks..:Erm: try Google..and there are LOTS of tourists spots or places you can go in the Philippines!

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 22:53
Hello Jason Jo, when we travel to Philippines ,to avoid being eaten by Mosquito,Boots Chemist sell wrist bands containing Chemical that prevents any bites from Mosquito,they look like cheap plastic watch,they are only about £5 for two,and will be your best freind in the Philippines. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks, I will take a look

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 22:54
I don't know if there is a specific map or documents or any websites that would tell every places in the Philippines and it's malaria risks..:Erm: try Google..and there are LOTS of tourists spots or places you can go in the Philippines!

Thanks. I have spent all day trying to find answers on google. I saw this site and thought that this would be a good place to ask

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 22:58
I am specifically only looking for places in the Philippines northern island of Luzon. Is hundred islands of Aliminos (or nearby) safe?

Jason Jo
24th February 2012, 23:27
Thanks

I will add Island Cove to my list. Does it have hotels, shopping or other eating places?

Steve.r
24th February 2012, 23:31
Hundred Islands is beautiful, my wife and I stayed on one of the islands completely on our own for our honeymoon. If you are that way you could visit 'Our Lady of Manaoag' there is a beautiful old church there where miracles are said to have happened. You can also get your car blessed there for a safe journey. Baguio is also quite near if you are that way, make sure you drive up the valley to the city, it is breathtaking. Visit Mines View Park for the view of the mountains and take a stroll around the lake in the city centre.

My house is over to the east of Luzon the other side of Cabanatuan under the mountains, for me it is a stunning place to be.

As for malaria, the Doc has written extensively about how to protect yourself. But you just need to use common sense. Use a mosquito net at night (buy one here) and if you need to, use a repellant if you are out in the evening.

Have a lovely trip

Dedworth
24th February 2012, 23:35
I think some of these Malaria warnings are a bit over the top. Dengue is a bigger killer in the PI

raynaputi
25th February 2012, 00:03
Try looking at Tagaytay and beaches around Batangas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Jason Jo
25th February 2012, 00:18
Try looking at Tagaytay and beaches around Batangas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks
Just looking a Tagaytay highlands when you typed this. Looks beautiful, but is it mosquito free?
Hmm, looks like I could make a nice little tour between Tagaytay, cavite and batangas. I notice that Cavite and Batangas look safe.

Is it fair to say that all beaches are mosquito free?

Jason Jo
25th February 2012, 00:20
Hundred Islands is beautiful, my wife and I stayed on one of the islands completely on our own for our honeymoon. If you are that way you could visit 'Our Lady of Manaoag' there is a beautiful old church there where miracles are said to have happened. You can also get your car blessed there for a safe journey. Baguio is also quite near if you are that way, make sure you drive up the valley to the city, it is breathtaking. Visit Mines View Park for the view of the mountains and take a stroll around the lake in the city centre.

My house is over to the east of Luzon the other side of Cabanatuan under the mountains, for me it is a stunning place to be.

As for malaria, the Doc has written extensively about how to protect yourself. But you just need to use common sense. Use a mosquito net at night (buy one here) and if you need to, use a repellant if you are out in the evening.

Have a lovely trip

Thanks

Are hundreds Islands free from mosquitos and especially from malaria and that other disease

Steve.r
25th February 2012, 00:31
You are making too much of the mozzie thing, common sense is all you need :rolleyes:

Dedworth
25th February 2012, 01:25
You are making too much of the mozzie thing, common sense is all you need :rolleyes:

:iagree: Obsessive

tanga
25th February 2012, 01:34
JasonJo
I am sure you have your reasons for posing the question but I think you are being a little paranoid. There is really no place in Philippines that is completely malaria free. If you are concerned just use off lotion and keep a stock of 'katol' to burn at night and also a plug in repellant.(all readily avail in Phils)
Avoid densely wooden areas and keep your legs and arms covered in the evenings.
Thailand and Laos have a much more virilent form of mosquito. For me the the mosquitoes here are less of a problem than the menacing little Scottish midges that used to attack me during the 7 days of summer weather that UK has each year

As for trips in Luzon. As other posts

Tagaytay, Cavite(island cove perhaps esp if like fishing) Nasugbu in Batangas,Splash mountain in Laguna(hot springs)

Subic bay,Iba Zambales then up to hundred islands and Lingayen gulf

San Fabian,Pangasinan, Manoag sidetrip,Buang,La union then north to Vigan or up the hill to Baguio

Vische
25th February 2012, 03:31
Hi Everyone

Newbie here.

I will be travelling to Philippines in one week spending 3 weeks there. I will be focussed on staying in Luzon.

For various reasons (long story) I do not want to take anti malarial tablets but will cover up with repellant.

I read the following:
"anti malrial tablets are recommended for rural areas at altitudes less than 600 m (1,969 ft) on the islands of Luzon

Does that include beaches and other popular tourist resorts which are obviously below 600 metres?

I am trying to plan my itinerary of places to visit but do not know which places are malaria free. What rule of thumb should I use?

For example what about the hundred Islands and rafting or swimming there?

Thanks so much
Jason

Hello Jason Jo, if your going to Luzon area in the Ilocos areas i think there is no need for anti-malaria drugs cause i've been there last July 2011 and we only bring is insect repellant cause you need it in night time if your going to stroll along the urban areas there. My family went to hundred islands in Alaminos Pangasinan twice and there's no case of malaria, then i've been to Vigan, Laoag, Tarlac, Olongapo, La Union, Baguio and we only bring is insect repellant while my 1 friend is from Isabela but if your going to Palawan area i think you should bring some anti-malaria medicine cause there is some cases of malaria there eversince.

Well the most important is enjoy your trip with your family here in our country, explore the beaches and other beautiful sceneries ..... :)

Jason Jo
25th February 2012, 08:23
Thanks everybody for all your help. Very useful indeed.

lastlid
25th February 2012, 08:28
Thanks

I will add Island Cove to my list. Does it have hotels, shopping or other eating places?

Yes it does. It is a resort and leisure park, no shops but lots to do.

See this link:

http://www.islandcovephil.com/

Its about 25 minutes away from Manila

http://www.islandcovephil.com/about/

I spent just over a week there in June with my wife and we had her relatives there to visit. Great for kids with a good range of activities on offer.

Terpe
25th February 2012, 10:07
Thanks
Just looking a Tagaytay highlands when you typed this. Looks beautiful, but is it mosquito free?
Hmm, looks like I could make a nice little tour between Tagaytay, cavite and batangas. I notice that Cavite and Batangas look safe.

Is it fair to say that all beaches are mosquito free?

There's plenty of detailed information here in the forum to help you minimise any risks.
A lot of people visiting Pinas do not take any precautions at all. I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying that malaria is just not as prevalent as you seem to think.

With mossie net, repellant, sensible clothing and common sense you'll be fine.
If you're really so anxious then find an alternative holiday spot.

By the way, maps are really not that helpful for you in determining the 'safety' of places. Mosquitoes can't read maps :D

malditako
25th February 2012, 10:21
try ti look at ilocos area they have some nice tourist spots there and a lovely resort hotel called fort ilocandia

Jason Jo
25th February 2012, 10:47
Thanks guys. you are so kind.

Jason Jo
25th February 2012, 10:51
There's plenty of detailed information here in the forum to help you minimise any risks.
A lot of people visiting Pinas do not take any precautions at all. I'm not suggesting you do that, just saying that malaria is just not as prevalent as you seem to think.

With mossie net, repellant, sensible clothing and common sense you'll be fine.
If you're really so anxious then find an alternative holiday spot.

By the way, maps are really not that helpful for you in determining the 'safety' of places. Mosquitoes can't read maps :D

Thanks

I am going to the Fil with my Fil wife, so other destinations not a consideration. She hasn't been back to Fil since about 2003, so doesn't know the recent news regarding hot spots.

stevewool
25th February 2012, 11:34
where every you go just enjoy, cover up at night , in my trips just had 3 bites :)

Steve.r
25th February 2012, 11:57
where every you go just enjoy, cover up at night , in my trips just had 3 bites :) in my mosquito breeding room :icon_lol::icon_lol:

stevewool
25th February 2012, 12:07
funny thing is steve, your room was one of the best sleeps i had, dont know weather it was the drink that made that happen or your new mosi net:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Steve.r
25th February 2012, 12:38
funny thing is steve, your room was one of the best sleeps i had, dont know weather it was the drink that made that happen or your new mosi net:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
25th February 2012, 17:38
Got bitten in Irian Jaya (Indonesian part of Papa New Guinea) about 15 years ago - it gave me a fever for a night or so and the medics said if it wasn't for having taken the malaria tablets then I would have incurred full blown malaria. However this was Irian Jaya, a very remote part of the planet indeed.

So it is not as if I was completely green and blase when I first visited the Philippines without any anti malaria tablets whatsoever. Also, much has been said about the negative side effects of antimalaria medication and so one shouldnt take them too readily if not necessary.

Also, I followed what my wife told me and she assured me there was no need for such medication.

Like someone else said, I recall far more mozzies in Scotland than in the Philippines :icon_lol:

Jamesey
25th February 2012, 23:11
Don't worry about malaria. Luzon and most of the Philippines are low risk areas. In all the years I've been travelling to and living in the Philippines, I've never taken any anti-malaria drugs. Also, those drugs can have severe side effects.

As for travelling around Luzon, there is loads to see and do. It just depends what your interests are. If you're into diving, Batangas is great and Subic has wrecks. Tagaytay is nice but can be done as a day trip from Manila. Although some people advise not to bother with Manila, there is lots to do there and it's probably worth a couple of days.

I've never been to the Rice Terraces but I've heard they're impressive if the weather is OK. Baguio is a really nice place and the cooler climate is very pleasant. Vigan is a World Heritage site but I haven't been there. I'd really recommend Ilocos Norte. There loads to see and do there including Laoag, Pagudpud beaches, Paoay Church, Malacanang of the North, Marcos in Batac, Fort Ilocandia, Burgos Lighthouse. Also, the road to Claveria and Aparri is very scenic.

From that area, you could follow the Cagayan Valley, visiting the towns and tourist attractions along the way, before heading up into the mountains and back down towards Manila.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Vische
26th February 2012, 01:48
Don't worry about malaria. Luzon and most of the Philippines are low risk areas. In all the years I've been travelling to and living in the Philippines, I've never taken any anti-malaria drugs. Also, those drugs can have severe side effects.

As for travelling around Luzon, there is loads to see and do. It just depends what your interests are. If you're into diving, Batangas is great and Subic has wrecks. Tagaytay is nice but can be done as a day trip from Manila. Although some people advise not to bother with Manila, there is lots to do there and it's probably worth a couple of days.

I've never been to the Rice Terraces but I've heard they're impressive if the weather is OK. Baguio is a really nice place and the cooler climate is very pleasant. Vigan is a World Heritage site but I haven't been there. I'd really recommend Ilocos Norte. There loads to see and do there including Laoag, Pagudpud beaches, Paoay Church, Malacanang of the North, Marcos in Batac, Fort Ilocandia, Burgos Lighthouse. Also, the road to Claveria and Aparri is very scenic.

From that area, you could follow the Cagayan Valley, visiting the towns and tourist attractions along the way, before heading up into the mountains and back down towards Manila.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Yeah i agree with you on that, there are lots of beautiful scenic spots here and the insects here is not that dangerous compared to other countries, except if its the rainy season hehe the so-called dengue fever but since there's no forecast so no need to worry. So just enjoy travelling here, just bring mosquito repellant since there are lots of mosquito in urban areas ..... :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
26th February 2012, 08:10
Hi, Jason ... :welcomex:! I have left your questions to be answered by those "in the know" - with whom I would "argue not" ('Jason & the Argonauts' :D) - and simply taken the opportunity of wishing you a safe and memorable holiday in Luzon. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
26th February 2012, 10:02
I haven’t responded to your thread until now because there is already so much information on malaria, dengue fever, and general health advice for travelling to the Philippines :
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/32368-Malaria-in-Cavite-Free-for-5-Years
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/32984-Dengue-Vaccine-Good-News-...-but-be-patient-!
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33885-Health-checklist-before-travel-to-Philippines
Hopefully you will now have had time to read this, and you should also read latest advice from the Foreign and Commonwealth Office ( FCO ) :- http://www.fco.gov.uk/en/travel-and-living-abroad/travel-advice-by-country/asia-oceania/philippines
Of course it’s important to get things in perspective. Most visits to the Philippines are safe if you’re well prepared, and plan several weeks before you go. That includes a medical check up with your GP / Practice Nurse, and arranging travel / medical insurance.
Whether or not you agree with advice given by FCO or your doctor, insurance cover will be invalid if you don’t take that advice. Any claim resulting from a tropical disease where you have not had the recommended vaccination(s) or medication will not be covered. Similarly policies won’t cover
• Non-emergency treatment
• Treatment you knew you might need, for example undeclared pre-existing medical conditions.
Good luck with your trip :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

Dedworth
1st April 2012, 10:29
Might be some job openings here Jason Jo

Inside the mosquito factory: Can malaria be stopped by British-bred genetically modified mosquitoes?

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/home/moslive/article-2121584/Mosquito-factory-Can-malaria-stopped-British-bred-genetically-modified-mosquitoes.html#ixzz1qmMwCCJl

grahamw48
1st April 2012, 23:16
RESPONSIBLE types....see Doc Alan's post above. :ReadIt:

Anyone else.....

I saw ONE mosquito when I was there in February...but that could be my failing eyesight. :Erm:

Anyway, not one bite either. :)

I haven't taken mozzie tablets or used repellent there in over 20 years, dry or rainy season.

Wear long pants and sleeves after dark is the only advice I can give.

We only ever used mozzie nets for the baby....but I always sleep under the sheets anyway, cos I'm afraid of the dark. :cwm24:

Palawan is normally the only part of the Phils where you are warned about the possibility of Malaria.

You can also catch Malaria in England if you really want to get paranoid about it. :)