PDA

View Full Version : Education possibilities - good and Bad in RP

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 16:18
AS I will be moving to Davao in the near future with a 5 year old your thoughts on education would be appreciated

Cheers

Whoosh

sars_notd_virus
24th February 2012, 17:31
Its the same as everywhere else, If you pay for private education then you get better education:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
24th February 2012, 17:54
My daughter went to a top private school in Manchester. There is a big difference in private school quality in the UK. They aren't all the same. We looked into this big time, well before we made our decision.. I imagine it is the same in the Philippines.

Probably unlike the Philippines ( I really dont know), some state schools are better than some private schools in the UK.

scottishbride
24th February 2012, 19:25
AS I will be moving to Davao in the near future with a 5 year old your thoughts on education would be appreciated

Cheers

Whoosh

Education in the Philippines are good.. But there are only few schools recognize here in the UK. Like, University of the Philippines not sure of the others..:Erm: There is British school at The Forth Bonifacio, Taguig, I am not sure if they have branch in Davao. We were about to enroll our daughter there but my husband and I decided to move back here in the UK. Goodluck! :)

Arthur Little
24th February 2012, 19:36
Its the same as everywhere else, If you pay for private education then you get better education:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Possibly in the Philippines, Mari. But I wouldn't go as far as to say it is necessarily the case in the *UK :nono-1-1: ... other than the fact that private schooling *here, invariably affords more privileges in terms of university entrance.

Arthur Little
24th February 2012, 20:01
... private schooling *here, invariably affords more privileges in terms of university entrance.

:icon_offtopic: perhaps, for Whoosh's needs ... but worth noting that a private education in the UK - generally speaking - offers particularly "scholastic" pupils a greater chance of being selected for :Britain:'s two so~called "elite" universities, namely Oxford & Cambridge.

raynaputi
24th February 2012, 20:26
Education in the Philippines are both good and bad..bad in terms of facilities and there are lots of teachers leaving the country for a better salary overseas (although I can say there are still many left that are very dedicated to their job despite the low salary)..anyway, the good thing is despite the lack of teachers/school facilities/books etc., I think most kids/students are dedicated in getting the right education in the Philippines. I won't say that private school is better than a public one..I've studied in both (public school during my elementary years, private school during high school, and a state university during college) and I've seen it still depends on the teachers & students. The only difference would be in a private school, you can have more access to new or better teaching methods (i.e. better computers and the like) but at a price.

But since you're kid is an expat (I'm not saying something bad would happen, just a precaution), it would be better to enroll your kid in a school where security is also a priority..also where you can get qualifications just in case you both will go back to UK or go to other countries to live. Most international schools I think can cover that. Just try and Google if there are international schools in Davao. Although I've got friends and former officemates from Davao who went to Ateneo de Davao and it's one of the famous universities in the Philippines.

Hope this helps. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
24th February 2012, 20:36
And I should imagine :rolleyes: ... though obviously can't attest to it ... :anerikke: ... the access criteria for the Phils' top learning establishments won't be all that different.

raynaputi
24th February 2012, 20:36
I found this and maybe it'll help you a bit.. http://americanindavao.com/blog/2009/12/an-expats-experience-with-private-schools-in-davao/

Terpe
24th February 2012, 21:21
I found this and maybe it'll help you a bit.. http://americanindavao.com/blog/2009/12/an-expats-experience-with-private-schools-in-davao/

Another great link you found there Rayna. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

tanga
25th February 2012, 01:58
I have a British friend whose daughter attends Brent International School,certainly one of the top 5 in the country.

http://www.brent.edu.ph/admissions/school-fees.asp#nogo

fred
25th February 2012, 03:29
it seems to be tougher for local teachers to get jobs in government schools although often proffered as the pay is better than the private sector schools..
figure that one out !
the downside is there seems to be no limits to class room population.. if i were you i wouldn't waste the money on international education while he`s that young but settle him into the best local private school you can find.. Filipinos that go to the uk and attend schools there usually find the transition very easy at any age..quite often they are advanced..
the problems begin when they go at 17-18 and find that universities wont accept their grades attained in the r.p.which is a crazy situation imo.
my youngest son studied here in private education till he turned 14..hes now finding uk gcse higher math,chem,physics and others very manageable here at home.
cheers,
fred.

joebloggs
25th February 2012, 12:23
http://www.immigrationmatters.co.uk/naric-assessment.html an old article from 2006, so some info is outdated , there is no more HSMP visa. but gives you some ideas about qualifications from the phils

one of the problems i think could be the total number of hours of study.

lastlid
25th February 2012, 17:47
This chaps child is 5, I recall. So a bit early for considering university options :D, however, I spoke to UK NARIC a while back and they said that the key comparison point is the vocational or otherwise nature of the Filipino degree. ( I must confess I don't know if the UK NARIC person on the end of the phone was feeding me a load of bullshine?) If the Phils degree is a vocational one (which my wife's is) then it will not be deemed acceptable as a degree in the UK. ( I did wonder about, say for example a nursing degrees as a for instance as a UK nursing degree must surely be vocational ), but that is what they said.

My whole point of speaking to UK NARIC was to establish whether or not my wife's degree taught entirely in English, would be acceptable by the UKBA instead of taking the English Language Test. Which they told me wouldnt be an acceptable alternative.

lastlid
25th February 2012, 18:15
This sort of listing might help when deciding on a UK or Phils university education. I am not certain how reliable they are, there is a possibility that they may be biased, but I really don't know....

http://www.timeshighereducation.co.uk/world-university-rankings/2011-2012/top-400.html

and

http://www.topuniversities.com/university-rankings/world-university-rankings/2011

"If you are a graduate from one of the top five Universities in the Philippines (e.g. University of the Philippines, Ateneo, La Salle), the chances are your degree will be equivalent to one awarded in the UK".

De la Salle, quoted in Joes link above, is ranked in the top 550 to 600 universities worldwide, considerably lower than most of the better UK universities.

Also see this.....

http://philednews.blogspot.com/2011/10/philippine-universities-absent-from-top.html

"FRIDAY, OCTOBER 7, 2011

Philippine universities absent from Top 400 Times rankings

The article then goes on to talk about the credibility of the listings as a "gold standard" for comparison purposes.

joebloggs
25th February 2012, 19:04
my misses medical degree was accepted by the GMC, she still had to do the academic version of IELTS and get 7 overall.

Whoosh
25th February 2012, 19:32
Yes, my Boy is 5. I think it is never to early to think of the future. I liked what Fred said about the home study options that lead to a recognisable qualification

It is doubtful that he would go to university in RP as I have options to send him to the UK, NZ or Malaysia.

However the early ground needs to be dug over so I am looking for opinions on Elementary, Junior and high school - but all education post more than welcome

Cheers

Whoosh

Whoosh
26th February 2012, 17:19
But since you're kid is an expat (I'm not saying something bad would happen, just a precaution), it would be better to enroll your kid in a school where security is also a priority.

Hi

I am hoping you feel that you can be a little more forthright about this.

My son looks 1/2 Filipino (although he is not) and that should help him blend in. What do you fees he is in more in danger from please

Any EXpats in the RP care to give some honest opinions please and what if any precautions do you take

Thanks

Whoosh