PDA

View Full Version : SRRV and NBI

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 11:38
Hi

Hope I have the right section to post this. looked up and down but this was all I can apply

I will be applying for a SRRV visa soon. I will be doing this while in the Philippines. Can anyone give me an idea what the NBI check

many many thanks and Hello

By the way i am going to live in Davao - never been there so al information/contact/tips gratefully recieved

Woosh

toging
23rd February 2012, 12:36
NBI (national bureau investigation) its just a CRIMINAL check.......goodluck:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
23rd February 2012, 13:09
Hi

Hope I have the right section to post this. looked up and down but this was all I can apply

I will be applying for a SRRV visa soon. I will be doing this while in the Philippines. Can anyone give me an idea what the NBI check

many many thanks and Hello

By the way i am going to live in Davao - never been there so al information/contact/tips gratefully recieved

Woosh

Hello Woosh, welcome here to the forum.

My wife is from Davao area, so we know Davao city quite well.
It's a great place to live and is quite well suited to ex-pat life.

It's interesting that you choose to live in Davao not having actually been there.
How did you come to that decision?

Have you visited Philippines before?

As toging has said the NBI check is pretty much the same as the UK CRB check.

mickcant
23rd February 2012, 13:41
Hello Whoosh:Wave:
Welcome you and your wife.
Mick.:)

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 14:34
Thanks all.

Is the NBI check just for the Philippines? If I have a criminal record in the UK or say Malaysia would the NBI check pick it up.

Thanks

Whoosh

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 14:35
Never been to Davao - only been to RP once 13 years ago - Bacolod for a week on business

iezl
23rd February 2012, 15:18
Hi Whoosh! We live here in Davao.My husband is from Ireland.You can ask him if you have any questions.

stevewool
23rd February 2012, 20:56
hi there whoosh, wow talk about whooshing into things, hope you have looked into everything before making the leap, but goodluck

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 22:14
thanks . but what can go wrong. Looks a fun place on the internet and I am a big boy now

Terpe
23rd February 2012, 22:29
thanks . but what can go wrong. Looks a fun place on the internet and I am a big boy now

The NBI check will indicate any known criminal conviction. If it's just an arrest but without charge that's not a conviction.
Naturally the NBI will review the 'home country', additionally usually they 'should' review ASEAN counties also.

All I can say is that the Philippines is not the best country in which to reside if you DO have an UNSPENT criminal conviction.

The Mayor of Davao is a pretty hard nut.
Just today he announced he will reward any police who prevent Hold-Upper. When asked if this was 'dead-or-alive' he reply either. :yikes:
You know the police in Philippines are always armed.

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 22:38
Thank you for your information. In your opinion do they actually check the original country for a criminal conviction or is it just lip service. I have no convictions on file but I do have a arrest but doubtful iit will lead to a conviction.

The attitude and commendable action of the Mayor and her Dad is one of the main reasons I choose Davao. But there are many other reasons to chose the city as well

Kind regards

Whoosh

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 22:40
also - I have been charged but not convicted

Terpe
23rd February 2012, 22:47
Thank you for your information. In your opinion do they actually check the original country for a criminal conviction or is it just lip service. I have no convictions on file but I do have a arrest but doubtful iit will lead to a conviction.

The attitude and commendable action of the Mayor and her Dad is one of the main reasons I choose Davao. But there are many other reasons to chose the city as well

Kind regards

Whoosh

I can't say if they actually do check or not, but I can say they are supposed to.
As I said before, an arrest is not a conviction. For a conviction you would need to be formally charged, found to be guilty and actually received sentence. Whatever that sentence may be. Even a suspended sentence is a conviction for immigration purposes. After all the main purpose is good character.

Yeah, the mayor of Davao is quite famous. That's why it's one of the safest cities in Philippines.

May I suugest you visit for a few weeks before going down the SRRV route.
Life in the Philippines may not be all you think, and may also be much more expensive than you think.

Look before you leap

Whoosh
23rd February 2012, 23:12
Thanks, I can understand your advice. I think I will get away with the criminal part as I have not even been in court yet and as I said it is unlikely to lead to a conviction

Expense side as well all know is different for all of us and the internet is a good guide

No only but also I will be arriving with my 5 year old son to a place we have never been to and to a country I have 7 days experience of 13 years ago

I have a budget of 100,000 Peso per month for the first year and after that about 50,000 per month plus what ever I can earn. I have skills that I can use to make on average 40k a month clear.

I am not party person - few beers and a bbq - gated community - some diving and education type stuff - the kindle is my friend - I like to do stuff in the community - volunteer at schools and donate (small scale) to local projects - I cook and clean myself but would hire help to do errands. as for a GF - take or leave - if the right one comes along great - if not there are other options

Many thanks for the input - it is very helpful

Whoosh

Terpe
24th February 2012, 00:45
Well, you still need to be careful with your budget, especially if you have a child who needs education.
Davao would be a good location. It has a few very good schools and hospitals, which are important on a tight budget as long as you remain within easy transportation.

The SRRV can be applied for in Phils and also can be applied online.
I'm still a little surprised of your choice, but hey diverstiy is the spice of life eh?

I have no idea of your age, but hopefully you either have a private pension coming along soon or are not too far from state pension age.
If you can find a good income from your own business within Pinas, well done.
Better than most hopefuls :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Good luck Whoosh.....................

BTW, be careful about hiring help unless you know exactly what you're doing.

Just be sure to keep a low profile

tanga
24th February 2012, 03:53
Whoosh
In answer to your original question I cannot imagine you having any problems over your NBI clearance. Indeed the PRA will assist you with that.
There has been some changes to SRRV scheme in the last year and I know of two expats here who have converted to 13a
You do not state your marital status or the nationality of your 5 year old son but I have to say I find it unusual for someone to make a life changing decision to move to a country they have visited 13years previously for one week and to plan residence in a city without actually visiting.

"The attitude and commendable action of the Mayor and her Dad is one of the main reasons I choose Davao. But there are many other reasons to chose the city as well"

Are you referring to the public brawl last year when the mayor punched a court officer who was trying to do his job?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0hL3cEEmATE

Does the well documented presence of Davao Death Squads summarily executing those they believe are criminals concern you at all?
I would advise you to be realistic at your chance of securing employment in Philippines
Paradise is real life.
Just be flexible in your goal and have a plan "B"

fred
24th February 2012, 07:08
the ssrv visa is not cheap as you you have to deposit a large lump of cash to help secure it..why not simply stay for 6 months or year on a tourist visa and find if you still actually like the place before going down the retirement visa road?..personally, i think that the nbi clearance is just a formality.do you honestly think they have the time, resources and know how to check your police record in the uk? when i applied for my 13a the consul in london told me that he had never witnessed a refusal.:Cuckoo:
they want your cash ..not your criminal record beyond your personal declaration..sorry about grammer..keyboard is gammy..:NoNo:

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 08:42
Great replies.

I am single and 51. The SRRV allows me to work and run my own business. One of the reasons I like the SRRV.

SRRV application is $1400 and then £360 a year - no other fees and do not have to pop down to immigration.

It is also like a multi entry Visa - airport fees waived after a year and a Local SRRV office to assist

Deposit $20,000 but get in back after you hand the Visa back at any time - No interest worth talking about on the deposit - Same in UK

Whats not to like about that Visa!

The Mayor and her father are reputed to be part of the DDS - maybe so maybe not - but heck it had the right effect and just recently when the nurse was shot dead and then the girl the retaliation has need very swift

I agree with plan B and beyond and if I need to move then I will do, most likely to Malyasia (never been).

Hiring of Staff - Agree 100% but it will be low level errands to start with - live out only and trusting with only a few hundred Peso until trusted

Davao has a large non vocal Expat community that seem to like living there and only have the normal type niggles and problems which can be swapped and changed around depending which county you live in

Budget
House rent first year 25,000
School 5,000
Elec 10,000
Food 15,000
TV/Internet 10.000

2nd year they drop a lot as I get used to the place - rent down to 12,000 - 15,000 for instance

Any one here living in or have lived in Davao please just in and rip me to bit please. Need to get as much right as i can

Low profile agreed - I am choosing RP to fly under the radar

Cheers

Whoosh

KeithD
24th February 2012, 09:52
Have you considered health costs? One of our long term members was moving to the Phil until he was hit by a huge health charge in the Phil, now they have decided to live here. With the Phil, if you can't afford to pay for health treatment you die, simple as that.

The best advice myself would give, and many here would agree, is to keep everything as it is here and have a 'holiday home' in the Phil. That way your 'base' is still in the UK.

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 10:47
Yes - In a ideal world that's what I might have done - but alas I need to get the hell out of dodge for various reasons

Health cost - yes your right - Filhealth will be one and I will take out blue cross or something similar. I think the cost will be around $1500 a year on a 80/20 split - thanks for mentioning it.

Yes I am aware that most people are not comfortable without the full support system of the UK so would not recommend living outside the UK or some of Europe. I agree it takes a different mindset and expectations to live in a developing nation - however I certainly will not be the first and although many leave after a period of time, many stay as well - I do not see RP as my final destination just one that is very convenient just now for a number of years.

Do you see any "Good" points about living there as a balance

Keep the nays coming it makes me think and makes sure the bases are covered

Whoosh

tanga
24th February 2012, 12:34
Whoosh,
I think you are "blue skying" a bit
Your budget seems very realistic and you have sensibly factored in initial set up costs in your first year of residence.
The SSRV scheme now requires an annual fee of $360. This changed last year from $10
An American I knew here on SSRV scheme died on the operating table during a routine operation.
His widow(he had been married for less than a month although livings as partners for a few years) tried to cash in his SSRV deposit
Firstly there was the insistance that the capitol gains tax be paid before the funds could be released.There was no mechanism to deduct the CGT from the amount. This was very stressful for the bereaved wife and the entire affair was drawn out over many months
Fees here tend to attract regular over the top increases and have a tendency to double,especially when foreigners are involved,
ACR i card fee doubled and after issue had a five year expiry limit suddenly implemented.
Philhealth fees recently doubled for new members
I advise you to dip your toe in the water before committing. Spend some time looking around before you make your decision
You seem to be in a hurry to get out of "dodge" just take your time and try to avoid relocating to "dodge" in the sun

" I have skills that I can use to make on average 40k a month clear. "

You seem pretty sure of that but dont count on that too much unless your income will be derived from a source outside Philippines
The Philippines is full of overqualified graduates working in menial jobs. Employers snap up the cream of those who are not actively seeking work abroad and pay local salaries

Good luck

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 13:06
HI Tanga

Blue Skying it - is that like rose colour glasses

I understand what you say and even why you say it. I asked around about the SRRV being returned and although I have no idea about the situation that you have reported but it does not seem the usual. So far the information that I have received is the longest wait was just over 7 days - you need to let them know why you are going, pay a reasonable fee to have your visa changed in your passport to 21 days as a tourist and then you are given a letter to take to the bank to have your funds released

Without this sort of Visa I will not be able to work and if I stay as a tourist I would have a difficulty getting my son enrolled in a school. Also we would have to make representations to the BOI to keep getting our visa extended so the $360 a year is good value for me. Also those on the $10 still pay the $10 so I know mine will be fixed as well at the start price

It may well be that the wife had no idea how to deal with what is a expat problem but I have no knowledge so difficult to comment – but it may well be that if they was dealing with a expat rather than a local the result ay have been different - If I decide to marry (unlikely) I would transfer to the 13A visa anyway

As for the operation, yes I have heard some horror stories and also a balancing stories of first class care as well - pot luck - I have has expeances of the NHS and I feel that is also pot luck - caner pills for some one side of the street but not the other as it is a differnt area

My skills are Scuba related and not just just average skills. 40,000 = £600 a month - On average over a year I should make that (after expenses) - of course it is seasonal so as I said a average - but still 50,000 a month to fall back on. It well take me 2yaers to get to that level but my first year budget is not dependent on earning. Please to see that agree that al least my first year budget seems to be reasonable

However Tanga I have to bow to your superior knowledge as you show on the board that you are there and I am not.

In some ways the SRRV is dipping my toe - it makes things a lot easier to be there than a tourist especially when I have a child in tow.

It would be more expensive I think to dip my toe as a tourist -

Now if your can think of a better English speaking country in Asia that does not have too many close ties to the UK where you can loose yourself for a while I would be pleased to here it (not being sarky honest) I looked very closely at the MM2H and it certainly has its good point (some very strong) and I may make that move when my son is older and I am no impressed with the High school education RP but the elementy and jounior seems fine with some home input. But at this point I would struggle with the criteria for MM2H

Yes I would agree with the blue sky bit but sometimes there is so much negativity it makes you think its impossible and I will be murdered, cut up, jailed. fleeced, mugged, broke, ill, and on my death bed within 20 mins of arriving

Good input thanks.

Whoosh

iezl
24th February 2012, 13:16
Davao is a wonderful place with friendly people and great shopping mall.With your child,he can study in Ateneo de Davao University,a very good school and with good facilities.With your Philhealth,you can ask help from my sister in law and brother who is both working there.My husband had met some British expats living here and gain some knowledge with them as well.But if i were you,apply first for a tourist visa...who knows you will meet your partner here and got married.As for the weather here,it is raining in the afternoon or evening.The Immigration and NBI,they are just neighbors here in front of Victoria Plaza(mall).For the electricity,if you are into saving electricity,you will just pay 5,000 and below.Food budget 5 to 10,000 per 1 to 2 weeks.Monthly internet 500 to 1,000 pesos.Renting a house is ranging from 25,000 and below with some fully furnished and some are not.If you pay full tuition fee for your child,there is discount for that...If not, you can pay on a monthly basis.

tanga
24th February 2012, 13:17
Whoosh
I see where you are coming from and it appears that you have made your mind up to give Davao a go so I wish you the best.
Much as I like the Granite City the cold windswept esplanade is no match for the swinging palm trees on sun kissed Samal.
Any way its better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all
Just proceed with caution
Tanga

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 13:30
iezl

Thanks - The school you mention is the one I am looking at at 60,000 a year with some discount for a year in advance. I have tried my best to over estimate the costs for food etc and appreciate your input that shows I may have a little more surplus. 10,000 for elec may be a little low as I will need AC for the first year until I acclimatise. Ha ha you girls are always so keen to see us long noses married off. For reason I can not explain here it is imported that I get the SRRV as soon as possible when I get there and as I said is a cheaper option for me than a tourist. I am looking forward to living in Davao and certainly am not thinking paradise but I must admit to being a glass 1/2 full person. Hoping that 25,000 for a house will be top end, furnished for the first year - will move after 12 month to unfunished after I found my feet. Here is a total strange but honest question - what do the farmers do with the Caribou horn when the beast dies - are they used for anything else or just thrown away - (no need you you to know the answer to that question ha ha)

Tanga - Much appreciated - yes mind made up and lots of research made - will it be easy - no - bumpy road - yes - possible disasters yes - and you may well be able to say "told you so". Come and visit later – welcome

Whoosh

lastlid
24th February 2012, 13:32
Much as I like the Granite City the cold windswept esplanade is no match for the swinging palm trees on sun kissed Samal.

:icon_lol:

fred
24th February 2012, 14:44
keep everything as it is here and have a 'holiday home' in the Phil. That way your 'base' is still in the UK.

the rp aint for everyone sure and neither is the uk.. personally id rather live and get sick here than be sick to death of living in that damned place for the rest of my life..for me thats purgatory pure and simple ..
what a waste of good life that would be..:NoNo:

woosh...my eldest is in the uk at uni,my daughter is in private education here and my youngest son studies at home for his british igcse`s..all are doing really well.
your budget is good but as mentioned keep a nice few bob put away for medical expenses and emergences ..insurance is good but you would mostly need to pay the hospital up front and be reimbursed sometime later..i have a european mate in cebu doctors now and thats what hes having to do.. his policy costs him 350.00 euros a month most of which his company pays..he says the hospital is as good as anything in germany..tons of dive shops here in bohol btw..

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 14:56
Fred - how I wish that PM was allowed i would pick your brains about the education as that is the number one worry for me.

Is there anyway I can get a message to you - perhaps admin would send you me email with my permission

Thank you for your input

Whoosh

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 14:58
Don't suppose you have family in the NE - I know someone that has a grandson in Uni and Granddaughter in RP

fred
24th February 2012, 15:18
the eldest goes to sheffield and our home study son studies with this lot... http://www.nec.ac.uk/info/?usca_p=t
it cost me 350 quid for each gcse 2 year course which includes a british tutor for each course.. he may be able to take his gcse exams in manila at the british school there..not sure yet..ive booked him in an exam center in cambridge..just in case though..
pleased to answer any other questions you may have..dont worry..keep posting and your pm buttons will soon show up..

Whoosh
24th February 2012, 16:17
OK Fred

Top Information - the conversation has wandered away from the original thread - will open a topic

Cheers

Whoosh

Arthur Little
25th February 2012, 00:22
HI Tanga

Blue Skying it - is that like rose colour glasses

Yes ... it's like "come down to earth". :yeahthat:

Arthur Little
25th February 2012, 00:34
Yes ... it's like "come down to earth".

Btw ... no offence intended! :nono-1-1: ... it's a BIG risk to take when you're 50+ though; at least here you have the NHS to fall back on in the event of sudden, unexpected illness.

:welcomex: ... and good luck with whatever you decide. :xxgrinning--00xx3: