PDA

View Full Version : How British is Bradford?

lastlid
22nd February 2012, 20:51
Channel 4

1st of March.

"Make Bradford British"

Looks interesting. The adverts suggest that we get a squint at them doing the Life in the UK Test......

http://www.radiotimes.com/episode/ppwhn/make-bradford-british--episode-1

"The experiment begins with a cross-section of citizens from the city taking a government test to demonstrate their knowledge of British culture"

andy222
22nd February 2012, 21:24
How British is Bradford? They having a laugh? Its just a small piece of pakistan,

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 10:15
How British is Bradford? They having a laugh? Its just a small piece of pakistan,

Havent been there myself Andy, heard lots about it. The program focuses on integration so it seems. But you may have seen the Channel 4 advert by now...

ABOUT THIS PROGRAMME

"Part one of two. Observational documentary exploring the issue of what it means to be British for Bradford residents who, despite sharing the same nationality, are all from different races and backgrounds. The experiment begins with a cross-section of citizens from the city taking a government test to demonstrate their knowledge of British culture. Eight people who fail the test, including pub landlady Audrey, taxi driver Mohammed and former magistrate Maura, are then placed in pairs and encouraged to swap lifestyles under the supervision of two experts in community relations."

imagine
23rd February 2012, 10:55
i originate from bradford, no way id ever go back :NoNo:

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 11:05
i originate from bradford, no way id ever go back :NoNo:

I lived in Manchester for many years and my daughter studied in Leeds. I always meant to pop up to Bradford there for a curry but never got around to it. And I always reckoned that I might fly out of Leeds Bradford eventually but I never did.

Imagine - quite a contrast with Aberdeen eh?

imagine
23rd February 2012, 11:37
I lived in Manchester for many years and my daughter studied in Leeds. I always meant to pop up to Bradford there for a curry but never got around to it. And I always reckoned that I might fly out of Leeds Bradford eventually but I never did.

Imagine - quite a contrast with Aberdeen eh?

oh yes a big contast :icon_lol:

its a shame how bradfords changed realy, from the area i lived (shipley)was just walking distance of about 10 minutes from the hussle and bussle of the vally to hills fresh air and countryside with amazing views looking down into the vally and across to the hills across the otherside,that vally streched from bradford all the way to kieghley another little pakistan
i would only ever consider going back if i could afford to live out in that counrtyside

bradford,, best curries in the world, oddly the best ones were on lumb lane , an old prostitute area, i believe the muslims have cleaned up and outed street girls there now, which is about the only thing i can think of to commend them for

Dedworth
23rd February 2012, 11:51
i believe the muslims have cleaned up and outed street girls there now, which is about the only thing i can think of to commend them for

Don't be too quick with the plaudits - Bradford's a northern city where grooming is in vogue

imagine
23rd February 2012, 11:55
Don't be too quick with the plaudits - Bradford's a northern city where grooming is in vogue

oh im not, but remember not all people of any culture are bad,
i commend only to that one area,
and if im right the only reason they did this is because they built a new temple there at that time

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 12:52
The other thing that I remember Bradford of note for was the Bradford City fire disaster.....a very good example of how quickly a fire can spread......

Dedworth
23rd February 2012, 13:02
The one thing I remember............

I stayed one night in a ghastly hotel in Bingley, slept badly, felt awful the next morning, looked in the mirror and I was covered in Chicken Pox :yikes:

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 13:16
Oh Yes. Bradford and Bingley.....

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 13:17

I stayed one night in a ghastly hotel in Bingley, slept badly, felt awful the next morning, looked in the mirror and I was covered in Chicken Pox :yikes:
Good that it was just chicken pox...

Dedworth
23rd February 2012, 13:20
Good that it was just chicken pox...

:icon_lol: Quite right if I'd have ventured out the night before into Bradford it could have been something much worse

imagine
23rd February 2012, 13:28
The other thing that I remember Bradford of note for was the Bradford City fire disaster.....a very good example of how quickly a fire can spread......

good point and not forgotten :xxgrinning--00xx3:

imagine
23rd February 2012, 13:30

is there a good hotel in bingly :Erm: all i remember of hotels in bingly were the pubs, rough as hell

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 13:42
good point and not forgotten :xxgrinning--00xx3:

When I was offshore we used to have to do a bit of firefighting every few years and the fire brigade used that one to illustrate the speed at which the fire developed.....remarkably quickly. Basically showed us a video of the fire starting and spreading, with a stopwatch alongside.

imagine
23rd February 2012, 13:53
When I was offshore we used to have to do a bit of firefighting every few years and the fire brigade used that one to illustrate the speed at which the fire developed.....remarkably quickly. Basically showed us a video of the fire starting and spreading, with a stopwatch alongside.

its amazing how quick it spreads once the heat builds up its then pretty fearsome,
if i remember rightly it was due to a build up of rubish under the seats, and should never have been allowed to get that bad, thats down to poor standards

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 13:55
Yep thats the one.....build up of rubbish under the seats.

Terpe
23rd February 2012, 13:57
:icon_lol: Quite right if I'd have ventured out the night before into Bradford it could have been something much worse

Like a pandemic? :icon_lol::icon_lol:

imagine
23rd February 2012, 14:00

yes you could have been a gonner ere :icon_lol:

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 14:02
I refuse to say it but I feel certain that someone is going to say that its a pity the fire didnt spread a little further. Bit like the great fire of London and all that....

For the record I don't really mean that, just jesting.

Dedworth
23rd February 2012, 14:07
Are there still grounds with old wooden stands like that around or did the disaster cause them to be outlawed - if so that was a sensible 'Elf & Safety decision unlike some of today's nanny state atitudes - I saw a pic yesterday of some school kids doing a pancake race, all in hi vis vests

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 14:12
I saw a pic yesterday of some school kids doing a pancake race, all in hi vis vests
:icon_lol:

Yep. Everyone has them now.

Dedworth
23rd February 2012, 14:23
:icon_lol:

Yep. Everyone has them now.

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm off to post a couple of letters thanks for reminding me to put my hi vis on

imagine
23rd February 2012, 14:30
Are there still grounds with old wooden stands like that around or did the disaster cause them to be outlawed - if so that was a sensible 'Elf & Safety decision unlike some of today's nanny state atitudes - I saw a pic yesterday of some school kids doing a pancake race, all in hi vis vests

i would imagine wood seating will have been outlawed after that

lastlid
23rd February 2012, 14:36
i would imagine wood seating will have been outlawed after that

Also the laws on smoking have changed. Don't they reckon a cigarette was the source of ignition?

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm off to post a couple of letters thanks for reminding me to put my hi vis on

I don't think you can smoke a cigarette in a public place without a hi vis jacket on these days.....:D

lastlid
24th February 2012, 22:21
Here are a selection of questions posed by Channel 4 - based off the Government's Citizenship test. How would you do?

The Government requires a pass rate of 75 per cent.
a) What percentage of the UK’s population lives in Scotland?

b) What’s the minimum age to buy a scratch lottery ticket in the UK?

c) In what year was the National Health Service established?

d) In the 2001 census, what percentage of the UK population identified themselves as Muslim?

e) How many bank holidays are there per year in the UK?

f) Where should you register the birth of your baby?

g) After age 70, drivers’ licences are issued for how many years at a time?

h) What percentage of the UK population regularly attends religious services?

i) What percentage of the UK’s ethnic minorities live in London?

j) A blind person is entitled to how great a discount on their television licence?

k) Approximately what proportion of British people own their own homes?

l) How long must men have worked for their employer before they are entitled to paternity leave?

m) At what age can you drink wine with a meal in a restaurant, if accompanied by an adult?
Answers:
a) 8% b) 16 c) 1948 d) 2.7 e) 8 f) At your local Register Office g) 3 years h) 10% i) 45% j) 50% k) Two-thirds l) 26 weeks m) 16
Questions and answers taken from Channel4.com

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2105837/Make-Bradford-British-Channel-4s-shocking-new-TV-show.html#ixzz1nKuz3Xky

imagine
24th February 2012, 22:28
i got one right ( f ) and im uk born bred , do i get deported for that :Erm:

maybe be im thicker than i thought

lastlid
24th February 2012, 22:31
i got one right ( f ) and im uk born bred , do i get deported for that :Erm:

According to that test I am not British, yet I am born and bred here. Essex man...

imagine
24th February 2012, 23:00
in my opinion these tests count for nothing and prove absolubtly nothing, except to prove a lot of homework studying in order to pass

lastlid
25th February 2012, 08:42
in my opinion these tests count for nothing and prove absolubtly nothing, except to prove a lot of homework studying in order to pass

I agree. I could have a good guess at many of the answers but don't exactly know them. It doesn't do what it claims to be doing.

Arthur Little
25th February 2012, 15:02
Forget trainspotting ... or even taking note of car registration plates!! 'Count the "White" Man' is a pastime engaged in by the native population of London's East End ... where Islamic culture :icon_sorry: has become a largely dominant force.

les_taxi
25th February 2012, 18:27
I'm afraid they have turned it into a .... hole and in its heyday Bradford was a top city :NoNo:

Iani
26th February 2012, 10:45
Might be about to make myself unpopular if anyone actually lives in Bradford here, but if the UK was to be given an enema, then Bradford is surely where they would stick the tube!

Put aside the ethnic stuff for a moment, it is just a total dump. First thing you will notice when travelling there by car, is that there is no "nice route" to the centre. Travel from Halifax, and you pass through the estate where "Rita, Sue and Bob Too" was filmed - and it really is like that there. Travel from Leeds and your mood sinks as soon as you enter Bradford after a huge roundabout with a park in the middle. Don't visit the cinema unless you're from a certain local community as I know people who have been told "This isn't a white mans cinema". Next door is a travelodge - and who in hells name would stay there :yikes:

Come from Harrogate end, and you pass through Holmewood estate. It's been described as the wild west - and this atmosphere is bolstered by the fact there are horses grazing on the grass embankments everywhere - the place is full of gypsys. Seriously, it's famous for it.

Leaving aside the suburbs, the city centre is a prime example of a failing retail unit. There has been massive demolition of 60's concrete buildings, but they haven't yet rebuilt so there's a huge hole right in the middle. Every other shop unit is either closing, boarded up or is in poor condition. The so called "best" shopping area -the Kingsgate -is a sea of mobile phone shops.

The area they did rebuild, they made a quite nice stone square near city hall- the best restaurant which opened - Chinathai (An all you can eat oriental buffet) - well it has closed down! Bleeping says it all.

Even the leisure unit which opened some years ago as a bit of Leeds in Bradford, well the funky gas lighted flame poles have been replaced by low energy lighting and fake grass, the place is dirty and gum-splattered, and one eatery has already closed and is empty.

If you take a short walk up the hill from the shopping area, then you might wonder why there are women wearing very little in winter. Don't slow down if you're driving up that hill, as the police regularly take number plates.

Yes, welcome to Bradford - you're bloody welcome to it!

imagine
26th February 2012, 17:04
this is why ,,, if anyone asks me where i originaly came from,, i say west yorks, or shipley,

i never say bradford its too embaressing :doh:NoNo:

lastlid
26th February 2012, 19:54
Yes, welcome to Bradford - you're bloody welcome to it!

Sounds a great place. One for forum member jlags to look out for when she eventually arrives in West Yorkshire :icon_lol:

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/35769-Tell-me-more-about-WEST-YORKSHIRE?highlight=jlags

imagine
26th February 2012, 20:12
yes but shes out of bradford itself lucky, theres a lot of beutiful countryside there

andy222
27th February 2012, 21:06
I went there in the seventies and I saw the signs then. I can only imagine what its like now. Another lovley part of yorkshire spoilt. Never mind they are drifting down south now.:doh

imagine
27th February 2012, 22:43
maybe heading should say,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,how Bradford is British :icon_lol:

lastlid
27th February 2012, 22:47
Well, the program is on tv on thursday........I want to see them doing the life in the UK tests....

andy222
28th February 2012, 18:24
I think..... I am looking forward to watching it lastlid but nothing will surprise me. The polititions/buisnessmen have made this country a right sh??? hole. It will be soon R.I.P to the N.H.S too.:NoNo:

lastlid
28th February 2012, 21:28
Me too. Interesting to see Bradford too.

stevie c
28th February 2012, 21:40
Thanks guys i have just set my sky+ to record it

lastlid
1st March 2012, 23:05
Sat and watched it with a curry :icon_lol:

100 out of 111 mixed Bradford citizens failed the Life in the UK Test. Amazing.

85% of the Bradford middle class whites that took it failed it.

Take the Channel4 Life in the UK Test below.....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/make-bradford-british/articles/channel-4-citizenship-test

I scored 33% and therefore failed by a country mile ( I got the one about the Philippines not being a Commonwealth country :D ....)

lastlid
2nd March 2012, 12:15
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2012/mar/02/make-bradford-british-channel-4-race?newsfeed=true

"Bradford is constantly painted as a tinderbox of racial tension. But there is far more at play in Bradford than just race. When landlady Audrey says no one wants to come into the centre of Bradford any more, that's because half of it was knocked down and plans for a new Westfield shopping centre have only just got going again after the recession".

http://www.asianimage.co.uk/news/united_kingdom/9565677.Fury_at_Make_Bradford_British_programme/

I was pleased to see the program as I wanted to know more about the Life in the UK Test. At the end of the day, the test is just laughable.

"Participants are chosen out of the 90% of Bradford citizens tested by the programme’s project managers – Taiba Yasseen and Laurie Trott – who failed the Government’s Life in the UK Citizenship Test.
This is an interesting investigation, and is revealing of how arbitrary and crude citizen tests inevitably are. Hilarity ensues as all races unite in ignorance of EU law, drinking ages and historical facts – one girl terrifyingly confuses “monogamy” with “Hogmanay”."

http://channelhopping.onthebox.com/2012/03/02/make-bradford-british-review-east-west-but-wheres-the-rest/

tanga
2nd March 2012, 16:55
I asked the British consul about these tests this afternoon. He said he tried an online sample test and failed miserably. He added that the answer are all in the book that you can get to study for the test.
I just scraped it

Terpe
2nd March 2012, 17:35
I asked the British consul about these tests this afternoon. He said he tried an online sample test and failed miserably. He added that the answer are all in the book that you can get to study for the test.
I just scraped it

We are all different and have different ways of learning/remembering.
It's only my opinion, but I have strong doubts that there is very much of interest to be learned by reading the book. But there is a test and the candidates must and should read those relevant chapters from the book.

From experience with my wife and from around 20-30 of her friends, I also hold the opinion that rote learning (or rote memorisation) is a good strategy to employ in order to pass this test.
There are quite a few online sites and also books/CD's that can offer hundreds of typical questions (with answers). Plenty of people have found this to be a great way of remembering the answers.
The sheer repitition of answering these questions, with multiple-choice answers, seems to fix the correct choice into memory.

The objective, I'm sorry to say, is not that of learning anything or of being better prepared for cultural integration. It is solely to acquire a pass certificate for the visa application.

imagine
2nd March 2012, 17:39
just been watching it now,quite good, the muslim guy , i like him hes funny :icon_lol:

stevie c
2nd March 2012, 18:17
Sat and watched it with a curry :icon_lol:

100 out of 111 mixed Bradford citizens failed the Life in the UK Test. Amazing.

85% of the Bradford middle class whites that took it failed it.

Take the Channel4 Life in the UK Test below.....

http://www.channel4.com/programmes/make-bradford-british/articles/channel-4-citizenship-test

I scored 33% and therefore failed by a country mile ( I got the one about the Philippines not being a Commonwealth country :D ....)

I scored 54% i also failed:NoNo:

imagine
3rd March 2012, 12:28
i scored 50% ,,, 12/24, and to be honest out of my 12 correct answers approx 6 of them was a correct guess :yikes:

shalona
3rd March 2012, 15:28
Despite being 'indigenous' British & English... I got less than 50 % the first 3 goes .... then started some online sample tests & eventually started to get 75% + on a couple ..... I really am unsure whether this test does 'test' and evaluate anything at all!! ...intentions of it might have been initially well placed maybe, but the only real test for preparing for life is by living it and integrating & certainly not how well one can learn and memorize the 'correct' answers ....laughable at best the KOL is!!:action-smiley-081:

Iani
3rd March 2012, 15:39
12/24 so deport me!

imagine
3rd March 2012, 17:59
the test doesnt prove anything to do with britishnes, anyone can study for it and should pass but that only proves its been studied, not a test of britishnes

lastlid
3rd March 2012, 21:16
the test doesnt prove anything to do with britishnes, anyone can study for it and should pass but that only proves its been studied, not a test of britishnes

The government really need to ditch it then. It obviously doesnt fulfil the apparent intention. Such an ill thought out idea on their part.

imagine
3rd March 2012, 21:27
The government really need to ditch it then. It obviously doesnt fulfil the apparent intention. Such an ill thought out idea on their part.

isnt it always ill thought, of anything they do , people in an office deciding what is needed, when they have never lived a life experience of the real people ,

andy222
4th March 2012, 01:02
Cant argue with that statement Imagine. But no way they can ditch the test its a good little earner.

imagine
4th March 2012, 01:16
Cant argue with that statement Imagine. But no way they can ditch the test its a good little earner.

yes i think thats all it there for:NoNo:

lastlid
4th March 2012, 11:09

Well, I would agree with that Andy, but the government doesn't make anything out the test, do they? Or do they....

grahamw48
4th March 2012, 11:41
I have made a point of not watching the programme or reading this thread. ;)

:engflag:

andy222
5th March 2012, 20:51
Well, I would agree with that Andy, but the government doesn't make anything out the test, do they? Or do they....

Im not 100% sure if the government makes anything out of the test lastlid but it would not surprise me if they did.

Dedworth
5th March 2012, 20:57
12/24 50% Fail

a colection of fairly irrelevant questions

lastlid
9th March 2012, 08:05
I didnt watch it last night, mainly because I was watching Man U get beat by Ahletico Bilbao :bigcry: and partly because it wasn't so enthralling on week 1. But I will try and watch the second program on iPlayer.