PDA

View Full Version : Flying belongings to UK

Blesslady
19th February 2012, 14:46
I am not sure what forum to put this in so I will try here.

I need to fly lots of things to the UK. Mainly lots of clothes, but I am over the weight limit for the flight.

What do other people do when transporting their belongings to the UK? What service do you use?

Thanks

Steve.r
19th February 2012, 14:56
I use LBC to send lots of things (big and small) to the Philippines, I am sure they also ship back to the UK. I am not sure of any taxable repercussions of sending this way, I am sure Customs and Excise will want to look closely at the inventry list. But they would be my first choice to enquire anyway. :)

raynaputi
19th February 2012, 15:41
Try using Philpost. My things arrived here in the UK in less than 2 weeks. It's cheap compared to LBC, DHL or other courier service. I sent around 27kg of things and it cost me around Php12K..which was really cheap compared to LBC which quoted me for Php15K just for 10kg weight.

Check their rates.. http://www.philpost.gov.ph/web/international-mail-rates/

Note: They have an OK service if packages/parcels are sent FROM the Philippines but they are VERY POOR when parcels/packages are sent FROM overseas..

stevewool
19th February 2012, 16:33
what about wearing all of them :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

lastlid
19th February 2012, 16:36
My wife had extra baggage allowance booked in advance ( a lot cheaper than if you just arrive at the airport). I cant remember the exact price but it was in the order of £25.00 for an extra 20 kilo.

Also she decided to leave many of of her pairs shorts behind as we agreed they wouldnt be so necessary here in the uk. :icon_lol:

juvyjones28
19th February 2012, 17:55
My wife had extra baggage allowance booked in advance ( a lot cheaper than if you just arrive at the airport). I cant remember the exact price but it was in the order of £25.00 for an extra 20 kilo.

really? I was considering bringing as much as I can too including my 6kg acoustic guitar with hard case. I know its much cheaper to pay for extra baggage than to send it out thru post or courier. What airlines did you use lastlid? I'm thinking of flying with etihad but we'll see which airlines has the best offers.

Blesslady
19th February 2012, 18:44
Thanks, I will research those couriers, but £25 for 20kg extra baggage allowance is an amazing deal.

imagine
19th February 2012, 18:57
:yikes:hope thats not the plane your flying in (avatar) you might get :NEW4: down :icon_lol::laugher::laugher:

lastlid
19th February 2012, 19:06
really? I was considering bringing as much as I can too including my 6kg acoustic guitar with hard case. I know its much cheaper to pay for extra baggage than to send it out thru post or courier. What airlines did you use lastlid? I'm thinking of flying with etihad but we'll see which airlines has the best offers.

It was KLM. I will try and dig out the actual cost details overnight. The actual KLM flight ticket was more expensive than Etihad at the time we booked, the reason she flew KLM was so I could meet her in Amsterdam and go through UK passport clearance in Manchester together as I didnt want her to have any problems clearing UK border staff. (As it turned out it was very easy).

lastlid
19th February 2012, 19:09
Thanks, I will research those couriers, but £25 for 20kg extra baggage allowance is an amazing deal.

I will check tonight and get back to you on the exact charges.....

lastlid
19th February 2012, 19:20
Just checked back through my emails. It was an extra £27.00 for an extra 23kgs. This was Oct 1st 2011.

I haven't seen Englishman on here for a while but he is usually pretty clued up on this sort of thing.

lastlid
19th February 2012, 19:24
:yikes:hope thats not the plane your flying in (avatar) you might get :NEW4: down :icon_lol::laugher::laugher:

Yep. You wont get much extra baggage in that thing.....

Blesslady
19th February 2012, 22:33
Just checked back through my emails. It was an extra £27.00 for an extra 23kgs. This was Oct 1st 2011.

I haven't seen Englishman on here for a while but he is usually pretty clued up on this sort of thing.

That is great! I will check when buying my tickets. Thank you Lastlid

Blesslady
19th February 2012, 22:34

I hope it isn't also!!:yikes:

lykayu01
20th February 2012, 06:55
hi lastlid is that a good thing to do???
if so i will fly going to UK already is it much better for my hubby to pick me up at Amsterdam???

and so does it mean i just have to book a flight from manila to Amsterdam and let him get a ticket for me going from Amsterdam to heathrow or straight to belfast if there is????? thank u so much!!!!!!

lastlid
20th February 2012, 07:54
hi lastlid is that a good thing to do???
if so i will fly going to UK already is it much better for my hubby to pick me up at Amsterdam???

and so does it mean i just have to book a flight from manila to Amsterdam and let him get a ticket for me going from Amsterdam to heathrow or straight to belfast if there is????? thank u so much!!!!!!

What I did was book all the flights. I booked my wife a one way set of tickets to Isle of Man via Amsterdam and Manchester. And booked me a return ticket to Amsterdam from the Isle of Man via Manchester. All the KLM flights were booked through Expedia at the same time except the Isle of Man to Manchester flights. I had previously sent my wife a copy of the Expedia / KLM itinerary / invoice etc so that she could check in okay at Manila. I met her in Amsterdam which was very easy to do as I was able to meet her as she disembarked at the gate entrance. I had planned it so that I arrived in Amsterdam several hours before she arrived so that I didnt miss her. When she arrived we went for a coffee then boarded the manchester flight together and even sat next to each other on the flight from Amsterdam to Manchester and Manchester to Isle of Man.

The reasons I did this were 3 fold.

1] It was her first time outside of the Philippines and I didn't want her flying through / stopping off in an Arabic country and running into trouble. I felt that if she had a problem, better to have it in Amsterdam rather than in Jeddah ( I worked in the middle east and was never happy in it, the Dutch are great at speaking english and in the airport at least, they are very helpful ). If I had flown with her from Manila then I would have probably flown Etihad (but not Saudi Airlines) as they are cheaper. The way I looked at it is that once in the air on a KLM flight, she was already in the European Union as opposed to Saudi Arabia :D , also Arabic bathrooms (toilets) are horrendous!!!

2] I was paranoid about her having problems clearing the UK border control and felt if I was with her I could at least help (like I said, in the end it was actually very easy - but I had heard from some folk on the forum that there can be difficulties)

3] It gave us the opportunity to spend 2 days in Manchester to buy warmer clothes as the shopping
potential in the Isle of Man is nowhere near as good.

Ideally I would have flown from Manila to the Isle of man with her but couldn't get the extra time off work as I had already used up my yearly allowance in April and June of last year visiting her in Cavite.

KeithD
20th February 2012, 09:29
KLM Excess Baggage Charges (http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/excess/bagagge_piececoncept.htm#p3) ... You're looking at Zone 4 ... €100 .... Philpost is much cheaper and no problem with delivery.

lastlid
20th February 2012, 09:33
KLM Excess Baggage Charges (http://www.klm.com/travel/nl_en/prepare_for_travel/baggage/excess/bagagge_piececoncept.htm#p3) ... You're looking at Zone 4 ... €100 .... Philpost is much cheaper and no problem with delivery.

We only paid £27 quid for the extra 23 kilos, purchased in advance, back in September for October. I checked the bill yesterday. Maybe it was a special deal or something, I dont know, but that was the price we paid for the extra 23 kilos.

sars_notd_virus
20th February 2012, 10:40
Try using Philpost. My things arrived here in the UK in less than 2 weeks. It's cheap compared to LBC, DHL or other courier service.

Check their rates.. http://www.philpost.gov.ph/web/international-mail-rates/

I agree Philpost is the best, cheap and fast if you want to send things to the UK:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
20th February 2012, 15:21
We only paid £27 quid for the extra 23 kilos, purchased in advance, back in September for October. I checked the bill yesterday. Maybe it was a special deal or something, I dont know, but that was the price we paid for the extra 23 kilos.

That is a cracking deal on top of the 46kg allowance KLM give

Ann1984
20th February 2012, 15:37
I am not sure what forum to put this in so I will try here.

I need to fly lots of things to the UK. Mainly lots of clothes, but I am over the weight limit for the flight.

What do other people do when transporting their belongings to the UK? What service do you use?

Thanks

Hi Bless, Good evening to you! :)

I Booked KLM Destination Manila - London Heathrow - free baggage allowance of 23 kilos.
PAL charges excess baggage rate for 150p per kilo in domestic flight.
http://www.philippineairlines.com/products_and_services/all_about_baggage/excess_baggage_rates/excess_baggage_rates_domestic.jsp

Hence my old case is small the capacity is only 15 kilos. i buy a new case capacity of 28 kilos, i see to it i not exceeding to 23 kilos weight , i don't had any problem of my clothes these are so thin so i can bring a lot of things. :)

lastlid
20th February 2012, 15:41
Hence my old case is small the capacity is only 15 kilos. i buy a new case capacity of 28 kilos, i see to it i not exceeding to 23 kilos weight , i don't had any problem of my clothes these are so thin so i can bring a lot of things. :)

Yep. With my wife, her clothes are so small and thin anyway that she was able to get a lot in her baggage allowance. One pair of her jeans is about a third of the weight of my jeans, maybe more. :icon_lol:

lastlid
20th February 2012, 15:43
That is a cracking deal on top of the 46kg allowance KLM give

She was only allowed 23 kilos free baggage allowance in the first place.

raynaputi
20th February 2012, 15:45
I was allowed 30kg when I flew via Emirates..:xxgrinning--00xx3: but my exact baggage weight was 32kg and they allowed that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
20th February 2012, 15:54
I was allowed 30kg when I flew via Emirates..:xxgrinning--00xx3: but my exact baggage weight was 32kg and they allowed that :xxgrinning--00xx3:

There is usually 'a rule of thumb' for allowing up to 10% above specified weight.
Although that's techinally only discretionary.

Dedworth
20th February 2012, 15:59
She was only allowed 23 kilos free baggage allowance in the first place.

Maybe it's to do with where the journey originates - my wife's just gone out on her 3rd time with KLM and its 2 pieces x 23kg each checked baggage

Ann1984
20th February 2012, 16:07
Yep. With my wife, her clothes are so small and thin anyway that she was able to get a lot in her baggage allowance. One pair of her jeans is about a third of the weight of my jeans, maybe more. :icon_lol:

:icon_lol: i had a jeans also 2 pairs is it ok, my 3 jeans weight is equivalent of 1 jeans of my partner:icon_lol: only heavy this 1 bottle of Boracay Rhum coconut flavor for little celebration.:)

lastlid
20th February 2012, 16:09
My wife packed several pairs of jeans and several hoodies. She went to Tribal to stock up as we knew she wouldn't be able to get Tribal clothing here. Good job she did as jeans are hard to get for her here as she is 4ft 11"

Ann1984
20th February 2012, 16:27
Yes lastlid you had point:).. i spoke my pilipina friend from Scotland, she told me, jeans in UK not a good size for a pilipina sizes. so i purhcase here 2 sleek skinny jeans and its very cheap than in UK. :icon_lol:

KeithD
20th February 2012, 16:28
Good job she did as jeans are hard to get for her here as she is 4ft 11"

Mothercare :Erm: :rolleyes:

lastlid
20th February 2012, 16:29
Yes lastlid you had point:).. i spoke my pilipina friend from Scotland, she told me, jeans in UK not a good size for a pilipina sizes. so i purhcase here 2 sleek skinny jeans and its very cheap than in UK. :icon_lol:

Yes cheaper over in Phils than in the UK. However, since arriving here my wife has put on weight so we will have to start trying to find a source of jeans, other than kids jeans for her....I dont think its gong to be easy.....:D

The problem for her is the length.....everything is too long for her.

lastlid
20th February 2012, 16:33
Mothercare :Erm: :rolleyes:

Exactly....:icon_lol:

Ann1984
20th February 2012, 16:36
Yes, in childrens wear section:icon_lol: i am thinking now, much better i purchase other 1 jeans. since i am still here. :D

lastlid
20th February 2012, 16:45
Yes, in childrens wear section:icon_lol: i am thinking now, much better i purchase other 1 jeans. since i am still here. :D

Good idea.

On the putting on of weight side of things, I havent heard it being discussed on the forum much at all, but I suspect that she eats more here than she did in the Philippines - larger portions etc - am not entirely sure. I swear that a relatively shorter Pinay requires only 75% of the calories of food intake of an average UK female per day. ( I can visualise another thread topic for Doc Alan coming up ).

Blesslady
24th February 2012, 08:59
Thank's Everyone for posting option's and advises.It really help's me to decide.again Thank you..:)