PDA

View Full Version : marrying filipino in UK

bakerboy26
4th August 2005, 19:32
Hi All,

I an a British national and want to marry my filipino girlfriend in the UK who has a working permit. Can someone tell me what steps we need to take to enable us to marry please?

Thanks,

Gordy

peterdavid
5th August 2005, 11:05
Originally posted by bakerboy26@Aug 4 2005, 06:32 PM
Hi All,

I an a British national and want to marry my filipino girlfriend in the UK who has a working permit. Can someone tell me what steps we need to take to enable us to marry please?

Thanks,

Gordy

Quoted post

Err- have you seen the rest of the site....?

I don't propose to write a whole essay setting out every step for you, but a few helpful pointers to enable you to get the info you need:-

1. Speak to Home Office - you need to find out whether she is able to convert the status of her "working visa" to a marriage one; quite often they say she has to leave the country and apply from the Philippines (I know, it's ridiculous, absurd, but the Home Office are idiots whose sole purpose in life is to make your life intrinsically harder.

If they do say that, try arguing the point with them and explaining how unreasonable it is (requirements of her job, etc etc) sometimes they relent. Also depends how long she's been here.

2. Go to your local registrar and reigster your intention to marriage - three weeks later you are free to marry. Every one in UK has to do this before they get married.

Is this enough of a starter for ten? If you have any specific queries, feel free to ask and someone may know the answer, a question a little narrower than "can you spell out every step required in the immigration process" - you've got to do at least some work yourself!! :)

Take care

Admin
5th August 2005, 11:13
So what is her job, and how long have you been both been here?

bakerboy26
5th August 2005, 11:42
Originally posted by admin@Aug 5 2005, 10:13 AM
So what is her job, and how long have you been both been here?

Quoted post

She is a care nurse and she has been here since December 2003. Her working permit runs out in December 2007 but she has been told that it could be renewed when she renews her contract to her job..

Thanks for info so far,

Gordy

peterdavid
5th August 2005, 12:18
Originally posted by bakerboy26@Aug 5 2005, 10:42 AM
She is a care nurse and she has been here since December 2003. Her working permit runs out in December 2007 but she has been told that it could be renewed when she renews her contract to her job..

Thanks for info so far,

Gordy

Quoted post

In which case, you should, if you stand your ground, be able to successfully argue that she doesn't need to to return to the Philippines in order to change the status of her visa (when you eventually get round to applying for a settlement visa for her here), because of her job commitments, etc, it would be unreasonable for her to lose her job just to get married, and make a mockery of the whole system (which is pretty much a mockery anyway).

However, if she can get a visa anyway through work, you might not need to worry, although to be on the safe side, I would notify the Home Office of your intention to marry anyway, so they can't claim you "broke the rules" later on and make life difficult for you.

Sounds like you're lucky. If she's here for 5 years anyway, she can get ILR on a working visa (indefinite leave to remain) and a british passport one year later - all without you needing to set foot in the Philippines once!!

Admin
5th August 2005, 12:22
You need to have a word with Immigration as they know the latest rules, and explain how long she has been here, and that they will be renewing her contract. if they say OK, and to be honest, as she's a nurse I doubt they'll send her back home, it isn't normal policy for that type of work.

Make sure with that any immigration application includes a letter from her employer stating that she will be renewing her contract.

She only needs another 3 years to apply for a UK passport.

You can also get help here http://www.iasuk.org/

ginapeterb
7th August 2005, 01:57
As Paul said, do your research Pal !!, for one thing, she has to go back to Manila to apply for entry clearance even if she works in UK on a work permit, the work permit is issued by the DWP the Department for work and pensions in Doncaster, her work permit, does not allow settlement with someone settled or going to settle in the UK.

The other matter you may wish to consider is this, from the 1st February 2005, you may not apply at your local registry of Births, marriages and deaths, to obtain a marriage licence, you must first contact them, in your local area, you will be then required to fill in the form at a regional centre, where your application must be sent to the Home Office for background checking.

Why is this so ?

This is a recent move to quell the rocketing cases of bogus marriages, the recent publicity at the Kingston on Thames register office has highlighted the problems of Economic migrants marrying EEC Citizens many of them Portuguese nationals in the UK to enable a fast track to a visa for settlement, sadly this also has thrown many others in to the same net.

You should first seek advice at the local registry of births marriages and deaths, they will then give you the required forms to apply to the Home office, who will then require evidence of a valid relationship, before they issue permission to grant a marriage licence.

Like my colleagues on the panel have said..I dont propose to walk you through every step of the immigration process in the Philippines for entry clearance, I already have had 18 months of frigging headaches, however please be wary of thinking that your GF can stay in the UK if you marry, whilst she may be able to stay married to you and working on he work permit, she is not able to live as a spouse without going back to the British overseas mission to apply to enter the United Kingdom, as my colleagues have pointed out, a complete mockery, and SNAFU...situation normal all f....up.

I did happen to see many ladies in your GF position in Manila as recently as 6th June 2005, and going through exactly the same process, many of them working in UK Jobs, having to return back for interviews in Manila, when they live in accomodation in UK.

I hope this helps, but errrr read the rest of the site will you.

Tks

Admin
7th August 2005, 09:12
A bit of confusion on the IND web site about this. The rule does not clearly state that if you come here on a fiancee visa, you DO NOT need authorisation off the IND, as this is basically granted with the visa.

Just a pity they don't mention this, and our niece wouldn't have had to wait for 2 months to get married while the IND decided to send her form & payment back. :rolleyes: