PDA

View Full Version : Falklands debate

stevie c
10th February 2012, 22:34
Prince harry's posting to the falklands is causing some upset in Argentina

Whats your views on this guys should we hand it back?

Is it about the oil that is supposedly in abundance around the falklands

grahamw48
10th February 2012, 23:18
Yes it's about oil, but it's also about the 2000 or so BRITISH born and bred Falklanders who have no wish to be annexed against their will by a second-rate bunch of South American losers. :NoNo:

:censored: off Argies, it's OURS ! :angry:

Dedworth
10th February 2012, 23:27
Yes it's about oil, but it's also about the 2000 or so BRITISH born and bred Falklanders who have no wish to be annexed against their will by a second-rate bunch of South American losers. :NoNo:

:censored: off Argies, it's OURS ! :angry:

:iagree:

HMS Stick will soon be lurking in the River Plate with its Tomahawks targetted on the Presidential Palace.

This is all about a failing President trying to improve her popularity.

PS Steve it's Prince William thats over there, Harry is hoping to be hosing down the Taliban shortly

Stuart
11th February 2012, 00:14
Ok since the Falkland war in the UK post on the Island is very heavily defended... There's no way the argies can take these Islands now. The decision to stay under the British Flag is the Islanders choice. As such we will defend them. It's no accident a Neuclear sub has just risen!!! :icon_lol: They will make lots of noise but lets face it their no match for our boys!!! Rule Britannia !!!!:D

imagine
11th February 2012, 00:23
its a double sided coin, the island realy belongs to argentina and should be given back,

on the other hand we need to protect our own people,

we increased the population after the faulkland war, dont need to say why,

we sank one of their ships in its retreat, like shooting a man in his back, wheres the british honour in that, right or wrong is debatable in my opinion, the british could have been brought back home to uk, but we are oil greedy just like the war dog america

grahamw48
11th February 2012, 00:40
....and Argentina belongs to the Native Indians ? :Erm:

imagine
11th February 2012, 00:53
....and Argentina belongs to the Native Indians ? :Erm:

and so does america :Erm:

imagine
11th February 2012, 00:54
Imagine there's no countries
It isn't hard to do
Nothing to kill or die for
And no religion too
Imagine all the people living life in peace

nnomad
11th February 2012, 00:59
maybe some people on here are concerned about the desires, irrespective of how lidicrous they may be,, of the few people who live on the islands, but no one in authority is,, all that matters is the oil reserves there and the wealth therin
and what happened to the Nuclear Proliferation Agreements,,,,,, britain introduces the scourge of nuclear weapons to yet another fronteir

grahamw48
11th February 2012, 01:40
and so does america :Erm:

....and Australia, New Zealand. :)

imagine
11th February 2012, 01:52
omg, westerners belong in the oceon :yikes:

imagine
11th February 2012, 01:54
mmm thats a thought ,,, if everyone went back to the origin of their roots, it might tip the earth off its axis due to a wobble caused by uneven mass :Erm:

Dedworth
11th February 2012, 02:12
maybe some people on here are concerned about the desires, irrespective of how lidicrous they may be,, of the few people who live on the islands, but no one in authority is,, all that matters is the oil reserves there and the wealth therin
and what happened to the Nuclear Proliferation Agreements,,,,,, britain introduces the scourge of nuclear weapons to yet another fronteir

http://t3.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQ1RTD5PJf8gZ1t-ehKFcRxBZ9Ci0Wrh6pJA5nBZzrLQpF17W-UJQ It's a nuclear powered sub armed with conventional weapons

subseastu
11th February 2012, 07:45
After I qualified I did a 4 and half month trip down the Falklands with the RFA. I fully support any action that protects the residents of the falklands, as has been mentioned they continually consider themselves british, and so its our duty to protect our residents is it not? There was always suspisions of oil / gas down there but at the time of the war we lacked the technolgy to confirm or exploit the minerals. At the time of the war I'm of the mind that if Argentina got control of the islands then they'd be able to asert control on shipping through their reigon. I'm not sure if they where aware or not of the possibility of oil / gas there

As of now are are 3 companies drilling for oil / gas down there using one semi sub rig and there has not been any confirmed strikes. 2 of the three companies are now struggling for money to continue exploration.

As regards to a sub being down there you'll probably find there has always been a presence there or nearby. When I was there the RN had one frigate and us, a 25 year old tanker that had seen better days. Infact I saw her many years later in the Olongapo. I couldn't believe she had made it across let alone was still afloat!!! For information if anyone interested it was the Grey Rover

RickyR
11th February 2012, 16:07
Stu, was warships there last time I was in the Falklands about 4 years back.
Have been to Stanley quite a few times, the place is a bit of a hole to be honest, a few manky pubs and a fish n chip shop.

However the reality is, many countries have overseas territories, and are they all going to give them back? Why does Argentina want the islands when they are full of Brits? What on earth are they going to do with the islands if they don't find oil?
The reality is that Argentina is going through a depression as they rest of the countries are, and a bit of war mongering overseas does good to keep the citizens happy, definately wins votes.

How about Ceuta, Melilla, Gibraltar, French Guiana, Reunion, Mayotte?

stevie c
11th February 2012, 16:23
:iagree:

HMS Stick will soon be lurking in the River Plate with its Tomahawks targetted on the Presidential Palace.

This is all about a failing President trying to improve her popularity.

PS Steve it's Prince William thats over there, Harry is hoping to be hosing down the Taliban shortly

Thanks ded yes your correct it is prince william:crazy:

I dont know what made me say harry :icon_lol:

joebloggs
11th February 2012, 16:28
Have been to Stanley quite a few times, the place is a bit of a hole to be honest, a few manky pubs and a fish n chip shop.

However the reality is, many countries have overseas territories, and are they all going to give them back? Why does Argentina want the islands when they are full of Brits? What on earth are they going to do with the islands if they don't find oil?
The reality is that Argentina is going through a depression as they rest of the countries are, and a bit of war mongering overseas does good to keep the citizens happy, definately wins votes.

and when some soviet states pull out the Union, Baltic's states are free, some Arabic states ditch their dictators, Argentina want the Falklands, China got HK they want Taiwan and are sniffing around Philippines waters.:angry:

imagine
11th February 2012, 17:32
things seemed more stable during the cold war

subseastu
12th February 2012, 06:24

Ricky, sorry mate are you saying there wasn't a warship last time you went to the Falklands? They used to berth up with us in Chousel (don't think thats spelt right but it was a long time ago for me) sound, Mare Harbour. You're right about Stanley though, I found it quite a surreal place to be honest. Very strange walking into a pub to find its someones front room where they've built a small bar with a fridge and you have a seat on their old 3 peice suite whilst drinking a can they bascally brought from the Spar!

Good point about the warmongering bit as well though it does beg the question why they have been banging on about the islands for so so long now though? I believe the possible presence of oil is a relatively new development so it can't be that, can it?

To be honest I hope they find oil as I've invested in one of the companies down there, not oneof my best moves to be honest with the way things are going!!

imagine
12th February 2012, 16:13
subseastu ,, I believe the possible presence of oil is a relatively new development so it can't be that, can it?

i remember talk of oil back then

grahamw48
12th February 2012, 16:29
Oy...what are you doing talking sensible on your birthday ? :ReadIt:

:xxparty-smiley-050::birthday::66:

imagine
12th February 2012, 16:34
Oy...what are you doing talking sensible on your birthday ? :ReadIt:

:xxparty-smiley-050::birthday::66:

actualy i thought i was talking S:action-smiley-081:T:icon_lol:

im out soon birthday supper :xxgrinning--00xx3:

chicken and yorkshire pud:hubbahubba: at my daughters

grahamw48
12th February 2012, 16:37
Good man.

Behave yourself. :D

lastlid
13th February 2012, 17:50
There is indeed oil there:

http://www.rigzone.com/news/article.asp?a_id=114761

"Any success by the firm would likely be significant since no oil has yet been found in the South Falklands Basin, unlike in the zone north of the Falkland Islands where fellow UK firm Rockhopper Exploration made an oil discovery on its Sea Lion target in 2010".

Above is a quick, current, article on the state of play in the Falklands. A new well is being started on a new potential prospect but oil has already been found in a zone north of the Falkland Isles......

http://www.rockhopperexploration.co.uk/

"In February 2010, the Ocean Guardian drilling rig arrived in Falklands waters to carry out a multi-well drilling campaign. Rockhopper drilled an exploration well on its Sea Lion prospect during April and May 2010, the result of which is the first oil discovery and Contingent Oil Resource in the North Falkland Basin".

"With the well on the Sea Lion prospect successfully flow tested during September 2010, the company is fully funded to undertake an extensive exploration and appraisal programme across all of its acreage during 2011".

stevie c
13th February 2012, 18:52
A very interesting report

Tanks for the posting lastlid :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
14th February 2012, 08:14
A very interesting report

Tanks for the posting lastlid :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thats okay. One hears lots of rumours and counter rumours but that info source is very reliable.

RickyR
14th February 2012, 11:03
Hi Stu, sorry for the poorly worded message earlier, what I mean't was that yes the warships were still in the Falklands last time I was there.

The reality is that these Islands are 250 miles from the nearest coastline, have only ever been properly colonised by the British, and were initially discovered by the British and French before the Spanish took an interest later on.
The British left the islands for a period of time, then kicked out the Spanish when they came back.

What if the islands attempted to go completely independant? Would the Argentinians accept that? I dont think so.

Dedworth
14th February 2012, 13:19
"In February 2010, the Ocean Guardian drilling rig arrived in Falklands waters to carry out a multi-well drilling campaign. Rockhopper drilled an exploration well on its Sea Lion prospect during April and May 2010, the result of which is the first oil discovery and Contingent Oil Resource in the North Falkland Basin".

"With the well on the Sea Lion prospect successfully flow tested during September 2010, the company is fully funded to undertake an extensive exploration and appraisal programme across all of its acreage during 2011".

A fella I know made £30k selling Rockhopper shares at the right time

lastlid
14th February 2012, 13:28
A fella I know made £30k selling Rockhopper shares at the right time

Great name, Rockhopper! (Best said with a Texan accent)

Obviously the Rockhopper price is tied somewhat to the price of a barrel of oil and the minnows usually are affected moreso but the overall trend is up and looking at the well history they are finding the stuff okay.

Daily Telegraph on Rockhopper's reserves...

"Seven to eight companies were interested in partnering with Rockhopper to develop its Sea Lion field, executives from the company told a Morgan Stanley conference last week, according to the bank.
Rockhopper is estimated to have recoverable reserves of up to 500m barrels of oil in the field.
Exploration around the Falkland Islands has caused controversy with Argentina, which claims sovereignty of the islands." Etc etc

Brunoff
11th March 2012, 02:02
Dear Graham: I'm from argentina and let me enlighten you a little about the former and current political
situation regarding the MALVINAS islands. those 2000 british citizens you speak about were ILEGALLY put there to have a political excuse at the UN. I trust you already know that geopolitically/geographically
the islands belong to Argentina, so i will not expand on this issue. I also trust you already know that the
"falklands" are being ILEGALLY occupied by the UK. it's just laughable hoy Mr. James Cameron states that Argentina is a "colonialist" country. it is fu**ing hilarious, since the UK are Historically the number 1 pirate colonialist land-robbing empire. (Do you have a proper education, i wonder?). I only know that sooner or later, the Malvinas islands WILL return to Argentina, since Justice and truthfulness is on our side, as acknowledged by 80% of the planet. I resent you comment calling us south americans "a second-rate bunch of South American losers". Let me state that i do not hold a grudge towards the brits, since i have many dear friends in there, which are wonderful people, and also educated (not like you, thankfully). You are being manipulated by your media and government. You can make all the excuses you want, but these excuses will not mean any of them are valid, since the "falklands" are rightfully argentinian and you are ILEGALLY(please read some history if you disagree) occuping them.Oh, and also, IN MY BOOK, the losers are the thieves, criminals, lobbysts and public-opinion manipulators you seem to support. LEt me finish by saying that as your OWN media (BBC for example) state, around 70% of UK citizens dont EVEN KNOW what the falklands are or dont even know the first thing abut the 1982 conflict, as opposed to the almost 40 million argentinians that are very sensitive about this issue and very aware of the situation. You should be ashamed.OH and please note, we are not alone, we have all south america supporting us. Time will tell if JUSTICE shall be done.

Steve.r
11th March 2012, 03:00
I think you will find that the FALKLAND ISLANDS belong to the :Britain:United Kindom :Britain:

What claim you had, you deserted many many years ago.

:Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain::Britain:

Whoosh
11th March 2012, 08:29
Depends who wrote the history books!

I was there in 82 and was in one of the first wave of Marines to go ashore

At the end of it the Argentinian officers where allowed to keep their side arms to protect them from their own troops

Most of the troops where left starving and where pleased to surrender to get food and medical attention and even uncontaminated water

The troops Argentinian troops in Stanly used to drop their pants anywhere including in peoples living rooms and just take a dump

Leaving oil aside as the war was never fought because of oil - what on earth would Argentina do with it anyway - its just a windswept treeless rock in the south Atlantic

The war was fought for the people not the land and the UK will never give up its people until they say they do not want to be British any more

Whoosh

lastlid
11th March 2012, 10:06
- its just a windswept treeless rock in the south Atlantic

Aren't the Orkneys and Shetlands the same? I have flown in and out of Scatsa International Airport a few times and it seemed pretty barren to me.

grahamw48
11th March 2012, 10:17
Hahahaha.

I'm assuming the deluded individual 'Brunoff' is of European descent, but now living in Argentina...formerly occupied by various native Indian tribes ? :Erm:

My case is closed. :NoNo:

Dedworth
11th March 2012, 10:23
How about these puerile Germs - should be charged with treason

http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/02160/kate_2160350b.jpg

grahamw48
11th March 2012, 10:34
Nice to know that the biggest bunch of endemically corrupt and criminal banana republics on earth are taking the high ground over the issue though. :icon_lol:

I suppose if it was a football match....

Oh dear...a BRITISH game.

They're going to have to stop playing that if we're talking principles here. :D

lastlid
11th March 2012, 10:42
Dont mention football. They do it better than we do. :omg: I watched Messi the other night.....

grahamw48
11th March 2012, 10:48
Is he a native of South America, or a descendent of Imperialist invaders ? :)

Iani
11th March 2012, 15:48
Firstly, those islands have never been part of Argentina, they do not belong to Argentina any more than they belong to the UK. The Argentinian claim is no more than wanting to expand their colonial agenda. They marched into Patagonia.........

Secondly the UK is historically one of Argentina's oldest friends. The UK helped build up the country in the first place, and many places and buildings have British heritage. It is a great pity these islands have to come in the way of this.

Thirdly, the Malvinas/Falklands, call it what you will were invaded by a fascist dictatorship. If instead of this, Argentina had all along befriended the islanders, told them how good it would mutually benefit them being part of the great country Argentina is (and make no mistake - it is), then imagine how things could have been different. they have really missed a trick, and this sabre waving is making no friends whatsoever.

Fourthly, it could not be made public at the time, as it would have compromised intelligence security, but the Belgrano was actually a threat. It is extremely regrettable it was sank, but in doing so it maybe saved more Argentinian lives in the long run as their navy didn't go near again. Perhaps the left wingers in the UK who have screamed about this ever since, will now make a public apology, and maybe even express regret for the UK naval lives lost!

Fifthly perhaps Argentina would like to press to take the whole decision to an international tribunal. Strangely enough they won't - and neither will the British. Why - because neither side could be sure they would win. The British side won't because the islands are so near Argentina and this might go against them. The Argentinians won't because every single other bit of historical evidence is against them. The whole thing is ridiculous in this day and age.

Oh and sixthly, it could be argued that the defeat led to the overthrow of the dictatorship and the establishment of democracy in Argentina, so really, perhaps they should be thanking the UK for that. The Argentinian military is no threat to the islands as the Argentinian government daren't let them become too powerful just in case they revert to form and overthrow the government.

The islanders, well I am told by someone who served in the military there that they were an unfriendly unpleasant bunch, but the fact is they've been there probably longer than many in the colonised south of Argentina. Argentina then can bog off frankly :action-smiley-081:

grahamw48
11th March 2012, 19:03
The whole of South America is colonised. So they're all talking out of their hypocritical :action-smiley-081:

lastlid
6th June 2012, 12:40
"Argentina has escalated its diplomatic battle with Britain over the Falkland Islands by taking steps to sue five UK oil exploration companies.
The Argentine president has targeted Desire Petroleum, Falkland Oil and Gas, Rockhopper Exploration, Borders and Southern Petroleum, claiming the firms are engaging in "illegal and clandestine activities" by drilling around the islands.
Cristina Fernández de Kirchner said the companies were operating "in a sovereign area of the Argentine nation and as such fall within its specified laws and rules."
Her foreign ministry said the declaration opened the way for the "immediate launch" of criminal proceedings against the small oil companies - which only moved into the area two years ago.
It said the Argentine government would soon make contact with Britain's Treasury, the Financial Services Authority, the International Organisation of Securities Commissions and the New York Stock Exchange as it pursues the threat.
The British Government has hit back and promised to work with any company potentially affected."

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/argentina-plans-sue-british-oil-companies-105854402.html

grahamw48
6th June 2012, 12:48
In that case the Argentinians are illegally occupying Argentina. :rolleyes:

I wonder what the Native Indians think about it. :NoNo:

Bring it on.