PDA

View Full Version : 50% of Heathrow Flights Cancelled

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 16:29
To minimise disruption to passengers :laugher:

Meanwhile it's -27 degrees at Munich Airport but business as usual

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/topics/weather/9062433/Heathrow-cancels-50pc-of-flights-as-snow-and-ice-blanket-Britain.html

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2096586/UK-weather-Now-big-freeze-thanks-sub-zero-nighttime-temperatures.html

Isn't it about time Heathrow was taken away from this Spanish shower and put back into public ownership ?

tone
5th February 2012, 16:38
I don't think the public can afford it mate.

KeithD
5th February 2012, 17:01
I don't think Munich has anywhere near the capacity Heathrow handles either, it's like comparing Dedworth with intelligence :icon_lol:

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 17:02
:laugher:

Englishman2010
5th February 2012, 20:28
According to Wiki, Munich handles c.35M passengers a year, and Heathrow handles nearly double that amount. If Heathrow cancelled 50% of its flights this weekend, it might still have handled as many as Munich. agree though, we are badly prepared and organised in this country when bad weather comes.

Munich Airport is the second busiest airport in Germany in terms of passenger traffic behind Frankfurt Airport, and the seventh busiest airport in Europe, handling 34,721,605 passengers in 2010.[1] It is the world's 12th busiest airport in terms of international passenger traffic,[4] and was the 30th busiest airport in the world in 2010. In 2011 Munich Airport was named the Best Airport[5] in Europe and the fourth-best in the world by Skytrax, the Air Transport Research Company. Munich Airport has already won the title of "Europe's Best Airport" 2010 and four years in a row from 2005 to 2008.

Heathrow is the busiest airport in the United Kingdom and the third busiest airport in the world (as of 2011) in terms of total passenger traffic, handling more international passengers than any other airport around the globe.[3] It is also the busiest airport in the EU by passenger traffic and the third busiest in Europe given the number of traffic movements, with a figure surpassed only by Paris-Charles de Gaulle Airport and Frankfurt Airport.[

Of Heathrow's 67 million annual passengers, 11% are bound for UK destinations, 43% are short-haul international travellers and 46% are long-haul. The busiest single destination in terms of passenger numbers is New York, with over 3.7 million passengers travelling between Heathrow and JFK / Newark airports in 2008[12] and 3.5 million in 2009.[13]

Info from Wiki :d

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 21:28
I wonder how Gatwick's been doing ?

Did anyone see those programmes late last year on Sky "Inside Gatwick". The Spanish outfit had to sell it off and it's been bought by some sort of Gulf State Sheikh Ya Money investment outfit run by a load of up & at 'em American Bazooka Joes and their Wannabee English stomach churning subordinates.

What a bunch of to$$ers the management are all macho style, open shirts and stand up breakfast meetings. Interesting to see when they make their pitches to Air Berlin and Air Asia these so called Managers are all suited and booted - I emailed Gatwick saying I thought they looked inappropriate and got some flannel about them not wearing ties when they weren't in a "Customer facing environment" - they didn't respond when I said swanning around a terminal being filmed looked fairly customer facing to me :D

There was a particularly obnoxious big headed British South Terminal Manager who'd had a stroke at 40 years old - no doubt brought on by working with these clowns, I'd think he will be due for another probably fatal one soon.