PDA

View Full Version : Council Housing

andy222
4th February 2012, 19:25
I heard on the radio today anyone who lives in a council house with spare bedrooms will have to pay for them. £500 per year for every spare bedroom.:omg:.

Englishman2010
4th February 2012, 19:34
There's a simple solution to that, anyone with a council house and a spare bedroom can take in a few homeless people or asylum seekers, the nations housing shortage will be sorted then:NoNo:

andy222
4th February 2012, 19:47
Well they have to make room for the 2000 and odd Romanians that are coming here to grab uk jobs.:doh

tone
4th February 2012, 19:58
And they wonder why racism and discrimination kicks off??

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 20:10
:icon_lol: from the state of some peoples council houses you would rather sleep on the street :cwm24:

i can't see some people paying, especially those on benefits or low pay :doh

stevie c
4th February 2012, 20:26
How about all the single & widowed pensioners who live in 2 & 3 bedroom council house surely they cant afford to pay this kind of fee being spoken about :NoNo: :doh

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 20:58
How about all the single & widowed pensioners who live in 2 & 3 bedroom council house surely they cant afford to pay this kind of fee being spoken about :NoNo: :doh

not long ago the gov was talking about moving people out of houses if it had empty rooms, its a difficult one, i live in a housing association house, the guy who lived in it b4 me, had lived there since they built it more than 40yrs go, he must have had a wife and kids, probably they grown up and moved out, as far as I can tell he was living here on his own, a 3 bedroom house, with 2 rooms not being used, the waiting list for families can be years, but then it was his home for 40yrs+

tone
4th February 2012, 21:19
If I was in a 3 bed house alone and the house belonged to the council I would no doubt have to relinquish the property if a family could use it. What would really infuriate me is if the family were not tax payers. It may sound extreme but thats the way I feel about this.
With the waiting lists and lack of property available its got to be better then paying some private landlord to rent their house at twice the cost surely?
I am not against landlords - used to be one but right now we do need more council owned properties - the issue is there is such little cash around in the LA's.

As Joe says its a difficult one but in these times hard decisions have to be made. Simply saying someone has to cough up £500 a room is stupid, they have to help that tenant to relocate surely?

andy222
4th February 2012, 21:51
Ok here is what is going to happen. Councils own the property. They will offer the people involved alternative accomodation, If the people involved decline the offers the councils have the right to evict them.

imagine
4th February 2012, 22:45
it should be in the tennacy agreement that if the house/flat becomes under occupied that they must accept alternative council accomodation,that would be a much fairer arrangment

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 22:52
ideally yes your right Imagine, but if they have lived there for a long time and settled there, who has the right to tell you , you need to move, i'm sure the older you are the more difficult it would be to accept change :cwm24:

imagine
4th February 2012, 23:06
ideally yes your right Imagine, but if they have lived there for a long time and settled there, who has the right to tell you , you need to move, i'm sure the older you are the more difficult it would be to accept change :cwm24:

yes i agree with what your saying, but if they as a young couple , say with 2 kids, a 3 bedroomed house,after say 18 to 20 yrs, the kids leave home, there are 2 empty bedrooms, if its in the tennancy agreement they know fine well whats to come right from day 1,and be prepared knowing whats to come, im not saying its wrong or right, but anyone who in the same way have a lease, they know it will have an end date

Dedworth
5th February 2012, 00:26
This reminded me of that fly on the wall TV Programme Neighbourhood Watched showing inadequate anti social scum abusing brand new council house's they'd been stupidly put in - somewhere up North - Ashton under Lyme maybe