PDA

View Full Version : Romanians stop paying benefits to anyone who owns gold jewellery

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 13:52
I wonder if we can do this here ?

Romanian officials have denied targeting gypsies under tough new laws introduced to cut back on the amount of benefits paid - by refusing to pay benefits to anyone who owns gold jewellery.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2095114/Romanians-stop-paying-benefits-owns-gold-jewellery.html#ixzz1lPufktvp

grahamw48
4th February 2012, 14:11
Assets are assets, and nothing much better than gold for turning into disposable cash at the moment.

Full marks to the Romanian government.

In fact why shouldn't EVERYONE claiming benefits have to dispose of assets first before sponging off the rest of society ? :Erm:

- DEPENDING UPON their record of National Insurance and Income Tax contributions in the past, their age and employment (or otherwise) history.

A points system.

joebloggs
4th February 2012, 14:17
if you've paid in, you can take out, else its means tested,(thou there is something kinda like this, with the contribution based JSA)

grahamw48
4th February 2012, 14:29
Means tested, but still permitted to have £16,000 in savings.

No questions asked about the stash of gold bars in the attic or brand new Range Rover Sport on the drive though. :NoNo:

The current system is still wide open to abuse.

In my daily work I call on people on various benefits, have to ascertain their circumstances etc.

It is not uncommon to find a driveway full of vehicles that I could only hope to afford, holidays being planned, drinks cupboards full to overflowing, several expensive to keep pets and both partners smoking. :rolleyes:

Englishman2010
4th February 2012, 14:59
I know that not everyone on benefits is a scrounger and some have genuinely fallen on hard times and deserve state help if they have paid taxes. However, the stereotypical benefit claimant is someone who is so poor that they can afford to adorn themselves head to foot in Nike/Burberry/Reebok, smoke 20 fags a day and pay £40 a month for Sky sports:crazy:
These people are hardly poor, most of us here have seen real poverty on our travels

grahamw48
4th February 2012, 15:06
Exactly.

Food, basic roof over your head and utilities need be covered.

Everything else is a luxury until you find yourself WORK.

Englishman2010
4th February 2012, 15:11
Over the last couple of years, most of us have had to tighten our belts and do without some of the luxuries we may have enjoyed during better times. It angers me when I read about benefit claimants receiving ££ thousands a month in housing benefits and other handouts:cwm23: I have to work 50 or 60 hours a week to bring in a reasonable income and live to the same standards that some of these people do:cwm23:

tone
4th February 2012, 19:56
I always thought benefits were a temporary help line.
These people seem to think they are a way of life.

If the Romanians can implement means testing for core social security then what's stopping the idiots in Westminster? The problem lies with lefties who can't see the woods for the trees..

I completely agree if you pay in you can take out... It's too a simple philosophy for our politicians for some reason