PDA

View Full Version : Cancer Fighter Sarah's Daughter Lola cuts Hair in Emotional Video

Rosie1958
3rd February 2012, 23:37
A video posted online of a young 6 year old girl cutting her mother's hair to help her understand the trauma of breast cancer treatment has attracted thousands of viewers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k71yMr5YWjA&feature=player_embedded

The video was made by Lola's dad who states in his blog:-

Please help. This was meant to be just our family video keep-sake, but it had such an impact on our family and friends we were encouraged to upload it to YouTube.

Sara’s breast cancer and chemotherapy, along with this video, have had a profound affect on our family and friends and we wish to reach out to you and strike a chord. This very personal and special moment has been shared on YouTube with our hope of raising as much money as possible for cancer charities.

Click this link to donate: http://www.justgiving.com/teams/saralola

Please share this video with as many people as you can and ask them to do the same and share it with as many of their friends and contacts as possible. You can do this on facebook, twitter, email, or just by good old word of mouth. Whatever you can do to help will help us smash our target and have a positive impact on those affected by cancer.

Ten cancer charities have been selected by the family and I found this such a brave and moving clip that I had to show my support by making a donation. Cancer affects one in three of us in some way, so I do hope that the family find the strength to cope and are able to hit their fund raising target which could benefit so many. I am sure that if anyone else feels charitable that your support would be most welcome :xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
4th February 2012, 00:31
Thanks for drawing our attention to this Rosie.

I have lost several friends and relations to this awful disease during the past 5 years, so I'll see what I can do. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

'There but for the grace of God go I'.

imagine
4th February 2012, 01:32
heart touching video,
its an awfull thing to go through,the chemotherapy being the treatment that nearly kills you in an effort to cure you,i certainly will never forget 9 months of feeling like a dying man,
as a lucky survivor i do what i can

thanks for posting :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
4th February 2012, 09:25
Thanks for sharing this Rosie:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'm sure it's a subject that most of us would rather not think about, but most of us know family or friends who who have been in this position. Whilst dealing with cancer must be a terrible thing to deal with for the patient, and I'm sure we all sympathise with them, often the emotions of the patients loved ones (esp children) aren't considered by us fortunate enough to be healthy.

Doc Alan
4th February 2012, 14:50
Well done Rosie for uploading this moving video and making a donation. As we live longer, and treatment of common conditions like heart attacks improves, the number of cancer sufferers will carry on increasing ( see http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/34955-Avoiding-cancer ).
The outlook for many cancer patients is much better these days. Breast and bowel cancer are examples where early diagnosis, helped by screening, and better treatment have improved things. Others have shown little progress – lung being a common example here and in the Philippines ; stomach and liver being commoner in the Philippines. More research is needed. If all research was halted, and we could afford to apply all we know there would be fewer cancers worldwide, and best treatment would ensure better outlooks.
It’s not just “ lifestyle choices “ ( stopping smoking, eating less, exercising more ) but also earlier diagnosis ( screening ) and prevention ( hepatitis B and HPV vaccines ). Genetic screening raises hope for prevention and treatment in the next few years.
Cancer is – understandably – an emotive subject. It kills relatively more young people in the Philippines than the UK. But there are other serious conditions which can be cured ( malaria, TB, other infections ), treated ( AIDS ), or are not yet treatable ( Alzheimer’s ). These afflict very many people worldwide, especially sad if it’s children. Cardiovascular disease kills more people than any other. They all need resources.
As individuals we want the best for our own, and ourselves. In the UK there’s an outcry when NICE decides that a particular treatment ( often for terminal cancer ) is too expensive. Difficult questions arise – how much can we afford ; how much can governments afford ; which charities to support ? About half of all donations go to a minority of the thousands of charities worldwide - those who campaign the most effectively. Donating to bona fide cancer charities is never a waste. So many others also need resources to improve quality and save lives.

Arthur Little
4th February 2012, 15:17
;) Thank you so much, Rosie ... for sharing this poignantly heart~rending - yet truly inspirational - story highlighting the hidden depths of loyalty and devotion that exist within families affected by breast cancer. Although potentially curable, the implications of this dreadful disease can scarcely fail to tug at the emotions of people everywhere - religious or not - and I'm sure [even silent] prayers :pray: for this stricken woman's eventual full recovery are on the lips of all who watched the video clip.

May God Bless Sarah, *Lola, *her dad, their loved ones - and ALL OTHERS who find themselves caught up in a similar situation. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
4th February 2012, 23:42
......... Cancer is – understandably – an emotive subject. It kills relatively more young people in the Philippines than the UK. But there are other serious conditions which can be cured ( malaria, TB, other infections ), treated ( AIDS ), or are not yet treatable ( Alzheimer’s ). These afflict very many people worldwide, especially sad if it’s children. Cardiovascular disease kills more people than any other. They all need resources.

As individuals we want the best for our own, and ourselves. In the UK there’s an outcry when NICE decides that a particular treatment ( often for terminal cancer ) is too expensive. Difficult questions arise – how much can we afford ; how much can governments afford ; which charities to support ? About half of all donations go to a minority of the thousands of charities worldwide - those who campaign the most effectively. Donating to bona fide cancer charities is never a waste. So many others also need resources to improve quality and save lives.

You are so right Doc Alan ......... I was quite surprised and very pleased to see in 2011 that Tescos adopted their charity of the year for research into Alzheimers Disease. British Heart Foundation is another charity that I often support.

It is definately the most visibly active charities that shout the loudest with the strongest campaigns that attract the most attention. The annual Race for Life held at numerous venues throughout the UK is a brilliant fund raising initiative and when my filipina sister-in-law ran last year, I was really surprised to find that it only involved cancer charities and none of the other very worthwhile causes.

Graham - good on you, thanks for your generosity! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Imagine - You know only too well what it feels like to be going through the battle with this terrible disease. I'm so glad you won yours!:Jump:

Ian - I totally agree, the feelings of loved ones and children are sometimes overlooked. They need understanding, love and support too.

A 36 year old colleague of mine died from Breast Cancer earlier this week, her 7 year old daughter is now an orphan as her daddy died 18 months ago of a brain hemorrhage as a result of an accident at work. That little child has been through so much already, my heart goes out to her.

Arthur - what a very thoughtful and lovely posting ....... :thankyou: