PDA

View Full Version : Immigration discussions

tone
2nd February 2012, 12:11
I just went to get my car out of the garage and Radio 2 (Victoria Derbyshire show) was talking about a debate happening now where the immigration policy is being discussed.

What the minister is tabling is:-

New immigrants have to be able to work, allowing only skilled immigration.
Limiting or stopping marriage visas unless the spouse has something to offer the UK
After 5 years an income test on the new spouse - they are talking about an income of £31,000 to qualify to stay here.
Removing ANY reliance on the UK public purse in the future.

This is quite alarming to be honest!

Although these are discussions - its moving to a very restrictive policy that stops people like me and most of you bringing your loved one here if you wish to settle..

Sorry but they need to think about the way the europeans settle here first they are the bigger burden surely????

I'm not impressed with these considerations!

Tone

mickcant
2nd February 2012, 13:37
This would be bad news for many of us:NoNo::doh
Mick.:)

stevie c
2nd February 2012, 13:49
I'm totally stunned at these proposals :doh :NoNo: :cwm23:

These proposals will surely have very serious consequences for those applying for fiance or spouse visas to settle here & those who are already here & will be applying for ILR. Very sad & worrying times :NoNo: :bigcry: :angry:

andy222
2nd February 2012, 13:59
Yep like i said to my wife who is back in the phils we will just have to wait and see. I might write to my MP about the situation. (I dont expect he will do much though).

stevie c
2nd February 2012, 14:04
Worth a try Andy nothing to lose but it seems we are all in a losing battle :NoNo::cwm23:

joebloggs
2nd February 2012, 14:18
:icon_lol::laugher:
Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life:xxgrinning--00xx3:

court cases galore :Jump:

andy222
2nd February 2012, 14:35
:icon_lol::laugher:
Everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life:xxgrinning--00xx3:

court cases galore :Jump:

Yes Joe but where?

andy222
2nd February 2012, 14:39
Worth a try Andy nothing to lose but it seems we are all in a losing battle :NoNo::cwm23:

Well I have sent a email lets see what will happen. I will keep you posted.

stevie c
2nd February 2012, 14:41
Well done andy please do keep us posted :xxgrinning--00xx3:

andy222
2nd February 2012, 14:50
Will do Steve.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
2nd February 2012, 15:01
I haven't been online for a day or so as moving apartment. Not good news.....

stevie c
2nd February 2012, 15:05
No lastlid it isn't as i said these are vey worrying times for all of us not knowing if our spouses can stay here & if those applying to come to the uk can even come here :NoNo: :cwm23:

tone
2nd February 2012, 15:16
Andy
Thanks for the email - this sounds like a good e-petition case as well..

I think these proposals SUCK big time.

Who are the government to say who one can marry - I mean this is ridiculous!

I have started watching the BBC Parliament channel to see if they ahve any coverage on these discussions...

Tone

Moy
2nd February 2012, 15:26
Who are the government to say who one can marry - I mean this is ridiculous!

you are very correct there tone..is getting stupid of how the government think of about immigra:angry:tation rules and etc..:doh

Englishman2010
2nd February 2012, 16:24
This is a tough one:Erm: I'm not too familiar with the current rules as I've not had to look into them. Quite cleary, previous Immigration rules have been too soft and something had to be done to stop the flow of people coming here purely to abuse our generous welfare state and liberal laws. However, it seems as though genuine people, such as the Filipino partners or our British members are also going to suffer as a result of this. I understand your annoyance and frustration, and I genuinely hope that there is a way you can get it sorted out:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Currently, these are just proposals, so there is no guarantee it will actually go through to law as the Limp Dems might vote against it, or it could be kicked out by the Lords

grahamw48
3rd February 2012, 11:18
The Lords tried to put a stop to the welfare cuts last week.

Didn't work though. :NoNo:

Arthur Little
6th February 2012, 20:30
Not good news.....

... NO it ISN'T! :NoNo: But, on a happier note ...

I haven't been online for a day or so as moving apartment.

... I trust you and your good lady are settling nicely into the new apartment. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Actually, I had just finished typing this post to you last Thursday afternoon ... when it seemed to suddenly disappear into the ether, due - without doubt - to the unexpected "technical hitches" the site encountered.

lastlid
6th February 2012, 22:02
... NO it ISN'T! :NoNo: But, on a happier note ...

... I trust you and your good lady are settling nicely into the new apartment. :xxgrinning--00xx3: Actually, I had just finished typing this post to you last Thursday afternoon ... when it seemed to suddenly disappear into the ether, due - without doubt - to the unexpected "technical hitches" the site encountered.

Yes. Thanks Arthur. Settled in. Its better here as the apartment is a good deal warmer than my previous one!