PDA

View Full Version : What it's like to be deported

joebloggs
1st February 2012, 14:37
WHAT happens when you step off a plane in a foreign country and immigration officials refuse to let you in? If you’re Christopher Johnson, a Canadian journalist living in Japan whose story earned a great deal of interest recently, you end up on a flight to Vancouver after a rather harrowing experience in the basement of Narita airport.

http://www.globalagenda.co.uk/blogs/gulliver/2012/01/immigration

Dedworth
1st February 2012, 18:38
It's probably pretty good to be deported from the UK, free air ticket home to a place where your life isn't under any kind of threat whatsover with a generous cash handout to spend on arrival. Once there you can begin planning your next trip to the UK and if you are bored get hold of a dubious, web based UK Human Rights Lawyer and launch legally aided proceedings over your deportation.

Arthur Little
1st February 2012, 18:54
There's one person I can think of :rolleyes: who certainly WON'T know what it's like, anyway. :NoNo: And that is Mick Cant's errant ex ... who, shamefully, still HASN'T been deported yet! :angry:

hauham
2nd February 2012, 06:05
Being deported is really a tough task to stomach. Not only will you get a great level of shame but also be banned from entering the country for some time or even worse, permanently. Though there are only a few things that would make you deported so you have to keep close watch against them.

Most of them include illegal activities and can even range to very simple stuff like not being able to submit the necessary requirements.

Bluebirdjones
2nd February 2012, 10:08
I got deported from Belgium in 1993.... along with 400+ other City fans.

... we'd only just arrived via the train...

.... I also enquired as to why, but the guy in the riot gear with the baton, nor the snarling Alastian were inclined to give me an answer.

tone
2nd February 2012, 10:43
I got deported from Belgium in 1993.... along with 400+ other City fans.

... we'd only just arrived via the train...

.... I also enquired as to why, but the guy in the riot gear with the baton, nor the snarling Alastian were inclined to give me an answer.

I sometimes wonder if thats the attitude we need here to deter would be illegals! Seems like a good idea!

Terpe
3rd February 2012, 16:10
When I read this I was initially shocked and in disbelief almost at the same time.

I have previously lived and worked in Japan for 20 years. Making many trips in and out.
The same applies to my wife.

Never in all of our dealings with Japanese immigration, Japanese Police or in fact any Japanese Government Authority have we ever experienced or heard about such goings on.

Reading this guy's account a second and third time reveals plenty of worrying inconsistencies.
Something just does not ring true with this. I would even go as far as to suggest he may be using 'journalistic license' for at best exaggeration, and at worst making up a story.

Gun control in Japan is the most stringent in the democratic world. The only people issued with guns are the Police and the Japan Self-Defense Forces.
There is just no-one else allowed anywhere near guns in Japan. Especially not these so-called 'rent-a-cops'.

There is absolutely no mention anywhere about his visa status. Indeed The Economist states that “his lawyer advised him not to discuss it.”
To my mind this is a totally key issue.

If the truth be known, he was most likely in contravention of multiple immigration rules and maybe even other Japanese laws, and was most likely not in posession of a valid visa or nay other supporting paperwork.

There's a big difference between being deported and being refused entry.

Plenty of British Passport holders get refused entry by US immigration for far less.