PDA

View Full Version : Cebu Pacific to Enter Low-Cost Long-Haul Market

joebloggs
31st January 2012, 14:36
Independent Filipino carrier Cebu Pacific has announced ambitious plans to enter the expanding Asian low-cost, long-haul market. Already the largest domestic operator in the Philippines, the carrier intends to lease eight Airbus A330-300s to serve medium- and long-haul routes from its base at Manila’s Ninoy Aquino International Airport by the third quarter of 2013.

Cebu Pacific has yet to formalise its operational plans but like most other long-haul budget offshoots the venture is likely to have its own management team. The range of the A330-300s opens up a wide list of network options for the carrier including destinations in Australia, Middle East, parts of Europe and the US, although current EU legislation would restrict any growth into Europe at the current time.

“We are exploring serving cities where large Filipino communities reside - Europe, Middle East, Oceania and the USA,” confirmed Lance Gokongwei, President and Chief Executive Officer, Cebu Pacific. “Data indicates that more than half of Filipinos deployed in these regions take multiple stops and connecting flights because no home carrier can fly them there non-stop.”

“The A330-300 will give us the lowest cost per seat, allowing us to drive long-haul fares 35 per cent lower than those currently offered by other airlines, and as much as 80 per cent lower when Cebu Pacific offers promo fares. This aircraft type is very well suited to the kind of network we want to build and the routes we want to launch,” he added

Since its inception in 1996, Cebu Pacific has successfully stimulated growth in the short-haul markets it serves, especially to markets where a large number of Filipinos work or reside. According to the carrier, passenger traffic between Manila and Hong Kong has grown by 88 per cent since it started operating flights in 2001.

“We want to do the same for long-haul traffic - offer the lowest fares possible and drive a significant increase on demand for air travel to regions outside of Asia,” outlined Lance Gokongwei. “This is truly an exciting time for Cebu Pacific as we continue to be of service to the 11 million strong global Filipinos, wherever they are in the world; and to their families back home.”

http://www.routesonline.com/news/29/breaking-news/140000/cebu-pacific-to-enter-low-cost-long-haul-market/

Englishman2010
31st January 2012, 15:25
What's the range of a A330-300? Would it be able to fly the c.6500 miles non stop to London/Paris/Amsterdam ...etc?

I've flown to HK/SG and internally in the Phil's a few times with Cebu Pac, whilst they're ok, certainly better than Ryanair, I'm not sure I'd want to fly 12 or 13 hours non stop with them, unless they have relatively cheap business class offerings?

All the same, it's good to have competition, I hope they succeed with their plans:xxgrinning--00xx3:

tone
31st January 2012, 18:19
Can you imagine playing their games and quizzes to win "free Cebu stuff" every hour though... Bet the baggage allowance will start at 10KG and cost as much as the flight for 20KG!

I shouldnt be so negative I suppose yes its good to see a bit of competition and I too hope they succeed because it will make the route more attractive to all of us!

Tone

Englishman2010
31st January 2012, 18:22
At least the stewardesses will be far more pleasant than the grumpy old hags on KLM:hubbahubba:

Terpe
31st January 2012, 20:48
I've experienced quite a few Cebu Pacific and found a very large variance is the quality of their flights.

Some years ago we used to fly from Heathrow to Hong Kong with Oasis then from HK to Manila with Cebu Pacific. I remember saying to my wife that next time we will never use Cebu Pacific again. Just happened that Oasis went belly-up so we didn't need to.

When things go wrong their customer service is probably the worst I've experienced in any industry in any part of the world.

It would certainly take some glowing reviews to get me on a long haul flight with them.

Or some very extra-cheap deals.
In 2006 we managed a return flight to HK for just P100 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

steve monty
31st January 2012, 23:55
It would be nice to have another airline flying long haul to Philippines. It could be good for tourism if it was considered a low cost option similar to Air Asia to Malaysia. People might stop to look at what the country has to offer. Although when checking Air Asia before it didn't work out that cheap.

I know it says late 2013 that these flights would be offered, but I thought the Philippines Aviation Industry have been put on blacklist to fly in European airspace?

http://ec.europa.eu/transport/air-ban/doc/list_en.pdf

How easy is it to get off one of these blacklists? Is the filipino government that invested in tourism to fix this? we shall see, I hope so though.

hawk
1st February 2012, 00:15
i know ive posted this before but heres a picture of there new service

tone
1st February 2012, 00:33

:laugher:

Thought that only happened in India!!

hawk
1st February 2012, 02:25
buisness class :laugher:

mistermatty
1st February 2012, 19:00
well they wont be flying to europe as all philippine airlines are currently banned from our airspace due to safety and maintainece concerns .

steve monty
1st February 2012, 19:02

:icon_lol::icon_lol:

Thats probably why they are restricted to fly in Europe. :icon_lol:

Is only first class allowed inside the plane? :laugher:

Dedworth
1st February 2012, 20:10
http://www.airbus.com/newsevents/news-events-single/detail/cebu-pacific-to-become-new-a330-operator/

MHG
19th February 2012, 20:03
I don´t see Cebu Pacific flying to Europe in the near future.

1) All airlines from the Philippines are on the european "Black List".
It´s not against the airlines but due to inability of the governing body - CAAP that is - to oversee the whole aviation in the country.

2) The A 330-300 does not have the range to go non-stop Philippines-Europe.

Btw. at least one advantage has Cebu Pacific compared to non-phil airlines: They won´t have to pay the CCT (Common Carrier Tax) which only foreign carriers have to pay.
That was one of the main reasons why KLM finally pulled the "non-stop plug" as this tax is based on revenue (Pax and Cargo) of flights leaving the Phils until their next destination (for KLM it was AMS ... and now it´s just the short hop to TPE that counts)