PDA

View Full Version : Good cheap laptops

tone
30th January 2012, 18:56
This is a company I do a lot of work with - SCC/SCH based in Birmingham mainly but sites accross the country and they sell off their old corporate laptops. At the moment they have a 33% discount on advertised prices making some laptops less than £100 - with good specs!

Hope it helps someone - worth buying and taking to the Phils for loved ones!

Tone

http://www.schtrade.co.uk/laptops/

Terpe
30th January 2012, 19:06
Good info Tone :xxgrinning--00xx3:
(and nice prices too)

Thanks for sharing.

Englishman2010
30th January 2012, 20:29
Great info Tone, thanks:xxgrinning--00xx3:

joebloggs
30th January 2012, 21:43
but they are not the number 1 laptop seller on ebay in the UK :rolleyes:
they are competition who I work for :angry:
:icon_lol:

a good laptop is the Dell D630 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Moy
30th January 2012, 22:00
but they are not the number 1 laptop seller on ebay in the UK

:icon_lol::Rasp:

Dedworth
30th January 2012, 22:33
Thanks I'll tuck the link away

Terpe
30th January 2012, 22:44
but they are not the number 1 laptop seller on ebay in the UK :rolleyes:
they are competition who I work for :angry:
:icon_lol:

a good laptop is the Dell D630 :xxgrinning--00xx3:

It's interesting you say that. I've always shyed away from Dell but don't really know why.
The last 15 years I always stuck with Sony and now I would find it very hard to switch.
But if it makes sense I will.

What do you think?

I'm thinking to get a new laptop very soon.

Neu75
30th January 2012, 22:52
This is a company I do a lot of work with - SCC/SCH based in Birmingham mainly but sites accross the country and they sell off their old corporate laptops. At the moment they have a 33% discount on advertised prices making some laptops less than £100 - with good specs!

Hope it helps someone - worth buying and taking to the Phils for loved ones!

Tone

http://www.schtrade.co.uk/laptops/

Thanks Tone :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sparky
30th January 2012, 23:40
It's interesting you say that. I've always shyed away from Dell but don't really know why.
The last 15 years I always stuck with Sony and now I would find it very hard to switch.
But if it makes sense I will.

What do you think?

I'm thinking to get a new laptop very soon.

i would stick with sony

i have had dells, samsungs,advents HP etc and all have buggered up

on my 2nd sony and never a problem

tone
31st January 2012, 00:14
Hi Guys
No problem, I know we are sometimes after cheap kit to provide to our Asawa's and Mahals so these machines look ok to me - as for which brand is better I too have been in IT for 27 years and have had a whole raft of different Laptops - my preference is Dell but I have had a few IBM Thinkpads and dont have a bad word to say.
The X61 for sale here are 12" screens highly portable and with Core 2 CPU's are fast enough for even watching HD Video, slightly larger than a netbook but far more usable.

At around 90quid they are very cheap!! Its probably worth getting Ubuntu thrown on these as its free, keeps 90% of the worlds viruses away (being a non Windows O/S) and is quite easy to navigate. It comes with Mozilla FireFox and you can install open office - makes an easy low cost solution..

Cheers
Tone

steve monty
31st January 2012, 20:43
Hi there,

I was actually looking for a cheap laptop but not really knowing what to look for. :Erm: It is going to be used mainly for study but also to be able to use Silverlight 2, so can watch certain iplayers. I have an imac but silverlight 2 doesn't work on it. Could anyone guide me which way to go on a decent laptop?

tone
31st January 2012, 23:24
Hi Steve
Well to be honest Silverlight is a Microsoft media application so as long as you have Windows and Internet Explorer I think you'll be ok!
These laptops/desktops for sale are good value - nowadays cp hardware is quite cheap I mean for £400-500 you can get a good laptop for it.

If you let us know what your budget is a nd key use requirements I'll have a dig for you..

Cheers

Tone

tone
31st January 2012, 23:41
I've just picked up a HP NC4400 2Ghz Core 2Duo 12" screen for just £92 delivered. Lucky for me I have an MSDN account and access to some unused windows licences... Testing purposes!

I noticed a lot of the x61 Lenovo have now gone..

Tone

steve monty
1st February 2012, 00:18
Alright Tone,

Cheers for your help. The main purpose is mainly for study so software like microsoft office would be needed to be installed. I take it the laptops at this site don't have software?? Also I would like to watch Iplayers and to be able to watch sky go. Maybe a bigger screen to watch these. Webcam also as probably when we go back to Philippines it would be given to the family. I would be willing to pay £300 to £500.

Steve

tone
1st February 2012, 00:29
Alright Tone,

Cheers for your help. The main purpose is mainly for study so software like microsoft office would be needed to be installed. I take it the laptops at this site don't have software?? Also I would like to watch Iplayers and to be able to watch sky go. Maybe a bigger screen to watch these. Webcam also as probably when we go back to Philippines it would be given to the family. I would be willing to pay £300 to £500.

Steve

Hi Mate
Ok I'll have a dig tomorrow and post up some examples.
As for Microsoft Office you should get a student and teacher version for quite little money, have a word at work there should be some way of purchasing through he Uni?

Cheers
Tone

tone
4th February 2012, 00:20
I ordered a HP NC4400 12" laptop on Tuesday it arrived yesterday and it got Win7 running now and although the battery doesn't last too long it's a great little laptop.
Comes with 45 day warranty and for £90 it's great. Ive just added 2GB of memory so now it fly's!

Just thought I'd put some feedback in in case anyone was dubious!

Cheers
Tone

Englishman2010
4th February 2012, 09:30
I ordered a HP NC4400 12" laptop on Tuesday it arrived yesterday and it got Win7 running now and although the battery doesn't last too long it's a great little laptop.
Comes with 45 day warranty and for £90 it's great. Ive just added 2GB of memory so now it fly's!

Just thought I'd put some feedback in in case anyone was dubious!

Cheers
Tone

Thanks for the feedback Tone:xxgrinning--00xx3:
I'm not in need of a cheap lap top yet as I have several old fully working Tosh's kicking around the house, but if I do need one, I'll have a look. As you said, at that price they are a great gift to take over to the Phil's too:xxgrinning--00xx3:

msmaganda
5th February 2012, 02:27
I want a new laptop! actually I got bad experience in the tech shop near here. the sony vaio stopped charging, I sent it to them to be fixed, but they just made the problem worse. now it won't boot at all and no screen. and they even asked me to pay for 80£. I got angry and I said there's nothing like that paying for a service that is not well done. huh! that's the first bad experience I had here.

tone
5th February 2012, 09:57
I want a new laptop! actually I got bad experience in the tech shop near here. the sony vaio stopped charging, I sent it to them to be fixed, but they just made the problem worse. now it won't boot at all and no screen. and they even asked me to pay for 80£. I got angry and I said there's nothing like that paying for a service that is not well done. huh! that's the first bad experience I had here.

Laptops can be so hit and miss, when they go wrong you're whole life can fall apart!
My attitude is to always buy fairly inexpensive devices and backup my data very often.
I couldn't recommend a specific repairer hopefully someone else may do? The best thing is to buy an extended warranty with something like a laptop because of the importance of it too.
John Lewis give a 2 year warranty..

Dedworth
1st March 2012, 19:39
Did anyone else buy following Tones recomendation ? I'm chuffed with the £92 IBM -Lenovo Core Duo I picked up to keep as a reserve comp