PDA

View Full Version : Symantec urges computer users to disable pcAnywhere

Terpe
29th January 2012, 11:55
Symantec is recommending that users of its pcAnywhere software disable the product following the theft of source code from the US computer security firm.

"At this time, Symantec recommends disabling the product until Symantec releases a final set of software updates that resolve currently known vulnerability risks," the Mountain View, California-based company said.

Symantec, in a technical white paper posted on the firm's website, said the vulnerability to pcAnywhere, which allows for remote PC to PC connections, is the result of a 2006 theft of source code by hackers.

"We believe that source code for the 2006-era versions of the following products was exposed: Norton Antivirus Corporate Edition; Norton Internet Security; Norton SystemWorks (Norton Utilities and Norton GoBack); and pcAnywhere," Symantec said.

The only identified threat, however, is to pcAnywhere and not any of the Norton products.

"With this incident pcAnywhere customers have increased risk," Symantec said. "Malicious users with access to the source code have an increased ability to identify vulnerabilities and build new exploits."

Source:-
http://www.gmanetwork.com/news/story/245899/scitech/technology/symantec-urges-computer-users-to-disable-pcanywhere

lastlid
29th January 2012, 13:48
WOW my previous employer used that a lot.

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 14:09
i'm surprised anyone still uses it, many newer products out there, even free ones.

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 18:11
I've been using the free AVG one since it came out.
So far so good.

Useful info' though.

I'll check what my boy is using on his flashy new birthday laptop.

(He has all the good stuff while poor old dad gets by with this moth-eaten old heap of junk. :cwm3:).

hawk
29th January 2012, 19:05
i use iobit advanced system care they do malware too

lastlid
30th January 2012, 08:54
My current employer doesnt use it as his network consists of all Macs....:D

My former employer used it as part of a service they provided offshore Aberdeen. PC Anywhere gave them the means to take control of a user PC in a remote locality. Or view data generated remotely.

Not sure why I would want to use that function at home unless I was working from home.