PDA

View Full Version : 'fewer and better' immigrants plan

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 10:50
Britain will give priority to the "brightest and the best" immigrants under new plans to cut the number of foreigners settling in the UK, the Immigration Minister has said.

http://www.express.co.uk/posts/view/298754/-Fewer-and-better-immigrants-plan

Tawi2
29th January 2012, 11:31
Mr Green told The Sunday Times: "What we need is a system that.............Closes down the fake colleges and kicks students out after their "Course" is finished :)

and is currently stopping 1,000 people getting on a UK-bound plane each month.
Big plane :Erm:

Dedworth
29th January 2012, 11:37
A shame this "brightest and best" policy won't include kicking out the criminal and illegal scum of the earth who are already here

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 11:51
A shame this "brightest and best" policy won't include kicking out the criminal and illegal scum of the earth who are already here

thats a fair point, where is the gov's 'lowlife and bad' policy for sending back illegal immigrants and foreign criminals :doh

Tawi2
29th January 2012, 11:55
thats a fair point, where is the gov's 'lowlife and bad' policy for sending back illegal immigrants and foreign criminals
Smoke and mirrors,but at least its a step up from Labours come-one come-all policy :icon_lol:

Englishman2010
29th January 2012, 12:05

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
29th January 2012, 13:33
Only allowing the brightest and best filters out those immigrants that come here to work in the care sector etc etc

I had an interesting chat with an IOM Immigration officer on friday and he said that Pinoys "generally make good immigrants" (many of which work in the care sector here). Apart from UK and Irish folk migrating here there are few migrants and very few here from outside the EU with the exception of Pinoys.

The IOM likes Pinoy immigrants and evidently selectively admits them, it would seem.

nnomad
29th January 2012, 14:10

at least one of them gave back his 1.4 million yesterday

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 14:22
it is a smoke screen as

Tier 1 Visa Introduction

The United Kingdom's Tier 1 visa immigration scheme is part of the points based system for immigration to the UK. Tier 1 visas are for eligible highly skilled migrants, entrepreneurs, investors, and foreign graduates of UK educational institutions. The Tier 1 visa schemes replaced various similar immigration schemes as of early 2008. The Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa is for a very small number of top people from outside the European Union; Very few people qualify under this visa category. The most popular Tier 1 visa category is the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa. However, Tier 1 PSW will end in April 2012.

Migrants coming to the UK under the Tier 1 Exceptional Talent visa do not need a job offer or a sponsor and are free to seek employment anywhere in the UK. You must score 75 points under a points based system to come to the UK under Tier 1.

this was introduced by the labour gov back in 2008 ! and before that was HSMP (Highly Skilled Migrant Programme) which was introduced back in 2002 !!

so whats new :doh

Tawi2
29th January 2012, 14:36
Reflections in the mirror hidden in the smoke,its all a game,we dont even figure as bit-players to the movers and shakers ;)

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 14:55
at least one of them gave back his 1.4 million yesterday

Are you suggesting that the Chairman of an international bank is 'scum' ?

What is your job ?

Have you ever given your bonus or overtime payment back ?

Didn't think so. :rolleyes:

nnomad
29th January 2012, 15:09
if they deserve a bonus for some small " success " then what the hell do these " scum " deserve for the wholesale fraud and missmanagment that got us all into this shambles !!!

andy222
29th January 2012, 15:16
I think this is just a warning of what to expect in April.

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 15:24

What is your job ?

if my pay was £750,000 a yr, i wouldn't give a :censored: about a bonus, many people dont earn £1m in their whole working life :angry:

and bonus for what, putting 22,600 people on the dole, selling branches off to the competiion, £1.4m bonus for this mass failure :laugher:

RIP RBS :Help1::cwm24:

Dedworth
29th January 2012, 15:26

What is your job ?

A fellow traveller Graham who comes up with that old favourite Labour gag of blaming the current ills of the country on someone who resigned as Prime Minister 22 years ago, he must've been watching too many trailers for The Iron Lady. I wonder what he can pin on Benjamin Disraeli :D

nnomad
29th January 2012, 15:49
A fellow traveller Graham who comes up with that old favourite Labour gag of blaming the current ills of the country on someone who resigned as Prime Minister 22 years ago, he must've been watching too many trailers for The Iron Lady. I wonder what he can pin on Benjamin Disraeli :D

get rid of your little england attitude mate,, this is a global situation, caused mostly by people who have never even set foot in england,,, if you cant recognise the problem mate then what chance is there of you ever coming up with a solution

andy222
29th January 2012, 16:03
Oh come on lads i dont think this has anything to do with immigration.

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 16:16
its all 'hot air' its been done b4, nothing new. only difference is putting a cap on the number of visa's issued.

and surely you want your own citizens taking the most skilled and best paid jobs, if not why are we sending them to uni :doh:crazy:

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 16:45
if my pay was £750,000 a yr, i wouldn't give a :censored: about a bonus, many people dont earn £1m in their whole working life :angry:

and bonus for what, putting 22,600 people on the dole, selling branches off to the competiion, £1.4m bonus for this mass failure :laugher:

RIP RBS :Help1::cwm24:

I know nothing about the Chairman Joe, just asking the questions. :)

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 16:51
Ah, I see Philip Hampton (the Chairman) didn't even join RBS until 2009 anyway.

Why is he being pilloried ? :Erm:

joebloggs
29th January 2012, 16:57
no problems graham, i just dont see how they can justify anyone getting any sort of bonus when they've put near 23,000 on the dole. i bank with RBS, in a couple of months my local branch we become Santander, something else British taken over by a foreign company :angry:

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 17:15
I can empathise with you there Joe.

I WAS with Abbey....now Santander. :rolleyes:

My last point was that Philip Hampton, the Chairman wasn't taken on til 2009... presumably to pull the bank out of the mess, AND he isn't accepting the bonus anyway.

Now the Chief Executive's case may be another matter of course. :Erm:

Maybe footballers and F1 drivers could be similarly criticised ?

After all, like captains of industry and banking they are free to take their services wherever they like in this global economy (kindly referred to by a previous poster ).

Unfortunately the RBS isn't a nationalised bank, but one in which the government is a major shareholder.

If they start interfering too much in a business that generates getting on for 10% of this country's GDP, whether we like it or not, those city slickers will just bugger off elsewhere and make another country that bit richer while still lining their own pockets.

So, a situation that needs careful handling so we don't throw the baby out with the bathwater.

Only an international agreement will put a cap on what some ordinary folk perceive to be undeserved wealth.

I feel the same way about guys who kick a ball around a field. :)

Englishman2010
29th January 2012, 17:43
if they deserve a bonus for some small " success " then what the hell do these " scum " deserve for the wholesale fraud and missmanagment that got us all into this shambles !!!

You need to get your facts right before you start spouting off:rolleyes:

The Banker in question was nothing to do with RBS when it went belly up, in fact he was working in an un related industry, he was brought in to try and help sort out the mess left by Fred Goodwin....etc

What exactly is your game, all you seem to post about is scum greedy bankers, you havent been here 5 minutes and its not the best way to win friends and influence people. Personally, I think you're a troll

Dedworth
29th January 2012, 17:58
get rid of your little england attitude mate,, this is a global situation, caused mostly by people who have never even set foot in england,,, if you cant recognise the problem mate then what chance is there of you ever coming up with a solution

Global situation you're having a laugh :icon_lol: - according to you it's all down to the twin evils of Margaret Thatcher and the greedy Bankers (conveniently forgetting the 13 years Blair, Bottler Brown, Mandelson, Balls, Darling & Co spent schmoozing and sucking up to the City of London)

grahamw48
29th January 2012, 18:03
Exactly.

The government of the day were the ultimate regulatory authority.

The whole situation was allowed to develop during their watch....a so-called LABOUR government at that. :doh

Sim11UK
29th January 2012, 22:13
What exactly is your game, all you seem to post about is scum greedy bankers, you havent been here 5 minutes and its not the best way to win friends and influence people. Personally, I think you're a troll

Oi come on everyone is entitled to their opinion. :NoNo: If people are spouting their own politcs, then members have the right to answer back...surely?

Personally, the politics on here are a big yawn. :NEW5:

...Believe it or not, I only joined here because I met a Filipina. :D

lastlid
30th January 2012, 09:34
Britain will give priority to the "brightest and the best" immigrants under new plans to cut the number of foreigners settling in the UK, the Immigration Minister has said.

That might filter out many potential Pinoy immigrants as the governement, through UK NARIC, doesnt seem to recognise many of the Pinoy universities? Seemingly only 5 Pinoy universities are recognised by UK NARIC.

Another interesting slant is one that ponders whether those from the top 5 Pinoy universities would want to come to Britain.

lastlid
30th January 2012, 09:34
Error posting ...sorry

lastlid
30th January 2012, 09:38
I think this is just a warning of what to expect in April.
Yep. The writings on the wall......

tone
30th January 2012, 11:29
I think this is a sign of the Government making it harder to come here, who knows what they will do but I am going to make sure we get everything sorted out quickly before things change, example I am thinking about is the Life in The UK Test - cost and difficulty - got to get that done soon me thinks..

Obviously the minimum income could filter some applications out - maybe they will set targets per country - dont the USA and Canada do something - maybe I am wrong - VISA Lottery with only so many Green Cards available per annum?

So starts another week....:)

lastlid
30th January 2012, 11:41
I think this is a sign of the Government making it harder to come here, who knows what they will do but I am going to make sure we get everything sorted out quickly before things change, example I am thinking about is the Life in The UK Test - cost and difficulty - got to get that done soon me thinks..

Yep. Same here. Trouble is we don't know who are going to be affected and how soon. Those who have completed FLR like yourselves and those that are on Spouse visas like us, since the end of last year, may need to go through FLR again, in the interim before ILR in 5 years time.

The current set up could be turned on its head. I am seriously wondering if we will have to go through FLR at the end of 2 years and submit bank statements etc again, almost a replica of your FLR, Tone. If they introduce an itermediate FLR after 2 years, they will want to charge for it and set some hoops for us to jump through. I hope that those already on their way to ILR, like you and me, are left alone to complete ILR in 2 years, but have a gut feeling that wont be the case.

And of course when exactly the Life in the UK Test will be required, if they do make the above kind of changes.

tone
30th January 2012, 11:49
I didnt think of it like that - I mean whats the point of making someone who has already jumped through a number of hoops jump through them again??
Surely they should be looking at the newer applications - I do hope things dont change for us - having paid for 2 visa's and a third to do making an extra step in the process is totally sensless.
Saying that - the thinktanks do think up some stupid things!

Lets hope and pray its stays like it is - otherwise they have a captive audience who will pay havent they!!

lastlid
30th January 2012, 11:52
Yes. Exactly. If they bring some of these changes in, that they have been looking at, I hope they waive those already inside their 2 year timeframe toward ILR.

joebloggs
30th January 2012, 12:01
from what i could be bothered reading, it looks to me like FLR could be extended from 2yrs to 5yrs before you could apply for ILR.

and those already on FLR, i would have thought there would be a transition period so you would still get ILR after 2 yrs ( or there be court cases as there was yrs ago when the gov did a similar thing with HSMP people)

lastlid
30th January 2012, 12:04
from what i could be bothered reading, it looks to me like FLR could be extended from 2yrs to 5yrs before you could apply for ILR.

and those already on FLR, i would have thought there would be a transition period so you would still get ILR after 2 yrs ( or there be court cases as there was yrs ago when the gov did it with HSMP people)

Comforting words, Joe. Thanks.

tone
30th January 2012, 13:41
Joe
Yeah I was thinking along the same lines - I would doubt they would redefine the "track" we are already embarked on.
Thanks for looking into it!

Tone

Terpe
30th January 2012, 16:08
Like joebloggs I've also read something about how this might introduced (might have been Law Gazette)
It was said that if the proposals about increased probationary periods came into force they would only affect new arrivals into UK and have no impact on those already here, due to the complexity of both National and EU laws/rulings/caselaw/precedents.

There is a great deal of activity out there preparing to fight many aspects of the consultation document.

Think positive.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
30th January 2012, 16:10
Like joebloggs I've also read something about how this might introduced (might have been Law Gazette)
It was said that if the proposals about increased probationary periods came into force they would only affect new arrivals into UK and have no impact on those already here.

There is a great deal of activity out there preparing to fight many aspects of the consultation document.

Think positive.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Sounds good. Thanks.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

So I can get the wife to focus on her Life in the UK and Islands test. I am trying to get her enthusiasm up on the engineering delights of the Laxey Wheel in preparation for those 5 Manx questions. Her eyes just glaze over....:icon_lol:

tone
30th January 2012, 16:38
Maybe you should utter the words "they are making the test harder" so get it done now before they should do so!!

Worste thing is I have Rina coming to me for test questions and I have no idea, its no good I am gonna have to read the flaming book myself and take the notes for her - I can just see it.. oh how laid back can one be?

:)

lastlid
30th January 2012, 16:40
I found a heap of test questions and posted them on friday...see if I can find it again...

http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/35647-Planning-to-take-the-Life-in-the-UK-Test?highlight=life+in+the+uk+test Post 8

Terpe
30th January 2012, 19:17
We all have our own ways of learning, but my wife found it quite difficult to read the book then answer the questions.

I went to waterstones and bought a couple of books with CD's containing sample tests and questions. I think I paid about 8 quid per book.
We also found some sample tests on the internet.

She used to take about 10 tests a night. Basically it was 'rote learning' but gradually she could recall the answers to the questions until eventually she could answer every question on every test. It also gave her confidence on the 'real' test.

Just a suggestion to help.

That darn test just has to be passed by hook or by crook. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
30th January 2012, 19:38

what's the point?? anybody from europe can just walk in to the country so, why bother restricting anybody else?? a couple of more years like this and nobody from the rest of the world will want to come here anyway:rolleyes:

grahamw48
30th January 2012, 20:24
Unfortunately most of the ones we could do without are already here and breeding fast. :NoNo: