PDA

View Full Version : Insomnia

juvyjones28
27th January 2012, 20:45
As usual It is now 4am Philippine time and I am still wide awake :rolleyes:. I have been suffering from insomnia for months now and I'm getting bloody frustrated about it. I know Its not healthy and I have been trying to do ways to solve my problem but It doesn't seem to work for me. :NoNo: Initially, I would lie down at 1am and try to sleep, after 2 hours I still find myself wide awake, I keep tossing, turning and made all sleep positions but I still can't fall asleep. :Help1: I would count 1000 sheep's and still can't sleep :bigcry: Has anyone got the same problem? I know when I'm back in UK my sleep hours will be normal coz then me and my husband will be in the same time zone. My husband suggested for me to do :censored: before I sleep so I can sleep better but I don't know, Its hard to do without him :icon_lol:. I might be suffering from stress and depression for my upcoming visa application. I'm really hoping everything will work out very soon.

Any suggestion to non-medicinal ways to fall asleep better? Thanks in Advance.

Juvy

hawk
27th January 2012, 21:24
stress wil do that to you what you need to do is try and look possitve side to your visa but it,s best you try talk to your husband as much as you can i talk everyday with my fiancee on net and phone what she does is 2 keep busy as not to think have you tryed innsomnia tablets good luck with your visa

Moy
27th January 2012, 21:26
My husband suggested for me to do before I sleep so I can sleep better but I don't know, Its hard to do without him .

:D it could be true :yikes::icon_lol:but it depends..try some tablets or ask a pharmacist to be able to relieve that insomania..or drink a warm milk before bed with some good sooking on warm bath:D ..or read some books to let you eye get tired..and make sure your room dark enough to let your body put off to slept..and light some aromatic candle:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

raynaputi
27th January 2012, 22:17
..or read some books to let you eye get tired..and make sure your room dark enough to let your body put off to slept..

That's one of the best thing to do..especially if you're not really a book reader..it'll make you fall asleep :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
27th January 2012, 22:46
I sympathise with you and hope you get it sorted:)

However, nearly all of the Manila based Filipina's I know are wide awake and working at 4am Filipino time...US call centre work might be a good paying job, but it doesnt do much for their sleep patterns:NoNo:

Doc Alan
27th January 2012, 23:06
I'm sorry to read about your insomnia problems, Juvy.
You're not alone, it's very common. I'm glad you wish to fall asleep better by " non-medicinal ways ". Drugs ( " hypnotics " / sleeping tablets ) should NOT be prescribed ( or bought over the counter in the Philippines ) without looking for cause(s) of insomnia. Above all, you need reassurance that at your age, while not trivialising your problem, it's highly unlikely to be serious or long-lasting :).
Some people have unrealistic sleep expectations ( we need less as we get older ), or understate alcohol consumption which may be the cause. Neither of these apply to you :).
1.Transient / self-limiting insomnia occurs in people who normally sleep well and is due to stress, jet-lag, or shift work, for example. Some stress is inevitable for everyone however. Regular sleeping habits are the answer - no daytime naps / siestas, don't go to bed until you feel sleepy, try not to eat or work in your bedroom, consume less caffeine, try a hot milky drink :). Don't exercise late in the evening ( although sexual activity can result in good sleep afterwards ). Putting the radio on a timer - up to an hour - of quiet music, jazz if you like it, or even a talking programme, can help you to drift off to sleep. If you still can't sleep, get up and do something relaxing, then go to bed when sleepy again. Try to minimise extraneous noise such as sibs sharing the bedroom, or buy earplugs so you don't hear the cock crowing :). The steady background noise of a fan / air con may help. Room temperature needs to be comfortable, not too warm ( whether in Philippines or UK ). Try not to worry about lack of sleep, you're probably getting enough ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:
2. Short-term insomnia may be related to an emotional problem or medical illness - again not likely to apply to you ! It may last for a few weeks, needs investigation and possibly hypnotics.
3. Chronic insomnia - again not applying to you - is commonly caused by anxiety, depression, abuse of drugs ( including hypnotics ), and alcohol. Sleep disturbance is very common in depression, with early awakening, and the underlying psychiatric condition needs diagnosis and treatment.

Arthur Little
28th January 2012, 00:05
I have been suffering from insomnia for months now and I'm getting bloody frustrated about it.

Ahh ... my dear Juvy ... welcome to "the club"! I have a similar problem - hence the reason I'm oft'times to be found typing away here in the middle of the night (I've FREQUENTLY wondered if an over~active brain :rolleyes: was the cause of the problem! :yikes:) See my thread entitled 'Inveterate Insomniac', dated 29 March 2011.

:iagree: ... it's extremely frustrating when one just simply CAN'T sleep (although ... as an :olddude: I'm inclined to doze~off :NEW5: all too easily if I happen to sit down during the day!). Like in your case, Doc Alan came to the rescue with possible diagnoses and/or remedies for the "malady".

Lately, though, I've been replenishing my stock of paperbacks ... so that ... if I've found myself unable to "connect with dreamland" after going to bed ... getting up and settling in an armchair to read a book helps.

sars_notd_virus
28th January 2012, 00:16
Any suggestion to non-medicinal ways to fall asleep better? Thanks in Advance.

Juvy

hi juvyjones!! time zone really suck$ lol
during my first two years of Long Distance Relationship with my husband , I also found it hard to keep my sleeping patterns ...so, I enrolled myself in aikido lessons, one hour training three times a week after work and pilates on some days ,..it helped me tone up and feel more relax inside and out!! also, a good massage in the spa or ''hilot'' might help to relax you and help control the insomnia symptoms.
Goodluck and hope you be with your hubby soon!!
..husbands are really good in keeping the bed warm for their wives;):xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
28th January 2012, 00:22
during my first two years of Long Distance Relationship with my husband , I also found it hard to keep my sleeping patterns ...

:cwm24: ... you TOO, Marie? :omg:

imagine
28th January 2012, 00:28
having sleep problems myself,though i know what caused it,
at its worse it started that as soon as i settled down shut my eyes and tried to sleep ,my head whirling with my troubles, i would then feel the adrenalin eminate from my stomach feelings of stuffy air and feeling increasingly hot, i think once you cut off to try sleep there is nothing else to occupy your mind, iv had 2 nights on the run with no sleep at all,then as things started to improve , my body clock was out of sink, like sleeping from 5 am untill 8am or even 11 am,i did at one point try sleeping pills, only for one night , i wasnt happy feeling drowsy while i felt so bad anyway,

i find now, that a couple of paracetomol and a hot milk drink , seems to help wind me down a bit, rather than the sleeping tablet, and try think of anything else other than what troubles you while you try fall asleep

Arthur Little
28th January 2012, 00:29
...so, I enrolled myself in aikido lessons, one hour training three times a week after work and pilates on some days ,..

... what is 'aikido'? And ... :Erm: ... the only 'pilate' familiar to me [in name] was the one called 'Pontius'! :D

Arthur Little
28th January 2012, 00:40
Aye :rolleyes: ... it's a serious subject, right enough ... with both a doctor and a 'virus' entering the discussion! :D

imagine
28th January 2012, 01:14
Aye :rolleyes: ... it's a serious subject, right enough ... with both a doctor and a 'virus' entering the discussion! :D

well well,,,,, imagine that :icon_lol:

as wide awake as a ,,,,, hawk

and very ,,,,,, Little ,,,,,, sleep

Arthur Little
28th January 2012, 01:35

:icon_lol: ... NICE one, Stewart ... I'll sleep on it!

lastlid
28th January 2012, 04:26
I am up at 3.30 am. Ha! I usually sleep perfectly but me and the wife have just had an argument and I cant sleep.:icon_lol:

Exercise helps a lot. Hour at the gym or a walk or a jog.

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:04
it's best you try talk to your husband as much as you can, good luck with your visa

I talk with my husband on a daily basis hawk, I chat with him while he is at work, and we do skype everyday when he get home. I guess its just really stress with the visa app. :thankyou::Wave:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:14
:D it could be true :yikes::icon_lol:but it depends
Hi ate moy:Wave: what do you mean it depends? :icon_lol: I think releasing before bed would really help somehow. :Rasp::D

read some books to let you eye get tired.
I am not much of a book reader but will try that thanks :D

and light some aromatic candle:D:xxgrinning--00xx3:
:yikes: Is it safe? I don't want to burn my room :icon_lol::Rasp:, due to my insomnia I move a lot I'm afraid to brush against it. :D

:thankyou: for your comment ate moy. Ingat!

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:16
That's one of the best thing to do..especially if you're not really a book reader..it'll make you fall asleep :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Ms Rayna :Wave::xxgrinning--00xx3: will definitely try that. I wonder if reading pocket books would help too. :rolleyes:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:19
However, nearly all of the Manila based Filipina's I know are wide awake and working at 4am Filipino time...US call centre work might be a good paying job, but it doesnt do much for their sleep patterns:NoNo:

Perhaps I should try home based call centre work to get benefits from my insomnia:Rasp: I just wish I could do that at home. anyway, :thankyou: mr Ian. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:33
1.Transient / self-limiting insomnia occurs in people who normally sleep well and is due to stress, jet-lag, or shift work, for example. Regular sleeping habits are the answer - no daytime naps / siestas, don't go to bed until you feel sleepy, try not to eat or work in your bedroom, consume less caffeine, try a hot milky drink :). Don't exercise late in the evening ( although sexual activity can result in good sleep afterwards ). Putting the radio on a timer - up to an hour - of quiet music, jazz if you like it, or even a talking programme, can help you to drift off to sleep. If you still can't sleep, get up and do something relaxing, then go to bed when sleepy again. Try to minimise extraneous noise such as sibs sharing the bedroom, or buy earplugs so you don't hear the cock crowing :). Try not to worry about lack of sleep, you're probably getting enough ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hi Doc Alan :Wave: the professional knows the best :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think I am belong to number 1. I go to bed usually at 2 or 3am but always fall asleep around 5am. I get 7-8 hours of sleep everyday which I think is normal, Its just my sleep hour is abnormal :icon_lol:. I really want to get to bed earlier so I can wake up early and do more stuff during the day rather than start my day in the afternoon. As I always wake up late, I then miss breakfast and always eating late lunch, I get so hungry in the evening and eat a lot before I go to bed. So i think its one of the factor why I can't sleep early. :rolleyes: I really need to change my lifestyle asap:cwm3:Somehow, I'll try to follow your advice. :D

Thanks a lot for your useful comment Doc. Your always much appreciated. :D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:46
Ahh ... my dear Juvy ... welcome to "the club"!
Thanks for the warm welcome mr arthur. :icon_lol::action-smiley-081:

See my thread entitled 'Inveterate Insomniac', dated 29 March 2011.

Interesting thread, will have a look at that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan came to the rescue with possible diagnoses and/or remedies for the "malady"... getting up and settling in an armchair to read a book helps.

Doc Alan is such a big help, thanks to him :xxgrinning--00xx3: I'm glad your sleep pattern is better now after trying those remedies. I really need to start reading books and see if it works for me. Thanks po! :D:Wave:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 09:54
lol indeed ate marie :icon_lol:

I enrolled myself in aikido lessons, one hour training three times a week after work and pilates on some days ,..it helped me tone up and feel more relax inside and out!! also, a good massage in the spa or ''hilot'' might help to relax you and help control the insomnia symptoms.
Goodluck and hope you be with your hubby soon!!

I was thinking to enroll for a yoga lesson, I heard its one of the good remedy to cure insomnia. aikido lessons sounds good too. Thanks ate I'm keeping my fingers crossed for my upcoming visa app.

..husbands are really good in keeping the bed warm for their wives;):xxgrinning--

:iagree: I sleep better when I'm next to my hubby. And his warm cuddles put me to sleep easily. you lucky your with your hubby already. :Wave:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 10:00
my head whirling with my troubles, i would then feel the adrenalin eminate from my stomach feelings of stuffy air and feeling increasingly hot
That's exactly what I feel. :cwm3::yeahthat: I worry and think too much. :NoNo:
I will drink warm milk before I sleep from now on. Thanks for the comment mr imagine:Wave:

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 10:04

:icon_lol::D:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I am up at 3.30 am. Ha! I usually sleep perfectly but me and the wife have just had an argument and I cant sleep.:icon_lol:
Oh dear :rolleyes: did you accommodate yourself in the dog house last night after an argument with wifey? :icon_lol::action-smiley-081::Cuckoo::Rasp:

Exercise helps a lot. Hour at the gym or a walk or a jog.

Thanks lastlid, will give it a try. :D

RickyR
28th January 2012, 19:14
Do you drink anything with a Caffiene content, Coca Cola, Coffee, Tea etc?
I personally sleep better when I have a good balanced diet, less meat, no caffeine and goto the gym regularly.
When i'm stressed, all of those things go out of the window and I sleep very badly.

lastlid
28th January 2012, 19:55
Later...we patched things up :icon_lol: I was on the receiving end of a severe dose of the silent treatment....

When my wife was in Cavite, in the run up to her application, she found, with the 8 hour time difference and chatting to me each day for long hours she found she was losing sleep, her routine was a mess and she began to get insomnia too, especially with the stress of waiting. Came out in spots too. And was particularly irrateable.

That's all behind her now. Once she got her Spouse Visa, that made a lot of difference.......:)

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 20:02
Do you drink anything with a Caffiene content, Coca Cola, Coffee, Tea etc?

I don't drink coffee, soda or tea. only iced tea :Rasp: I drink a lot of water and juice and milk before bedtime but still I get hard time to sleep. :bigcry: But I'm hoping to get my habit changed soon once i sorted out my visa:D

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 20:06
When my wife was in Cavite, in the run up to her application, she found, with the 8 hour time difference and chatting to me each day for long hours she found she was losing sleep, her routine was a mess and she began to get insomnia too, especially with the stress of waiting. Came out in spots too. And was particularly irritable.

Yes I am exactly the same at the moment. The only time I don't chat with my husband is when he is sleeping :icon_lol: I'm addicted to him and that made me forget how to get proper sleep. :icon_lol::NoNo:

malchard888
28th January 2012, 20:25
4.30 am and u are still awake !:)

juvyjones28
28th January 2012, 20:45
4.30 am and u are still awake !:)

Yes Malcolm, As usual I am still awake. :bigcry::NoNo::cwm3:

tone
28th January 2012, 20:52
I think Rina went through the same - the time zone and talking was the killer - she ended up sleeping late becaue she needed to know I was ok and still loved her!
The insomnia she suffered was anxiety and stress and although now pregnant she sleeps all over the place - in fact she is in bed having a nap now.
We used to talk on the phone and do the naughty stuff on the odd occasion to help her get to sleep, its a tough time and excercise of some kind is always a good idea - make the body tired the mind should follow.

When you get the visa application done a lot of the stress will come off but I am afraid there will always be an edge to the anxiety until you are with your partner.

Sounding by the others words this is a by-product of the "process" and excuse the punn its a bit of a nightmare...

I would certainly echo the others words but I do think excercise is really useful now - and as the anxiety wears when you are heading to the visa app, doing biometrics, waiting for the VFS text message/email your anxiety will be mixed up with excitement.

We have all been through these experiences in one form or another - there is no magic pill but try a few of these tips and see how you get along, at the end of the day (no punn intended) we are here to shoot the breeze with!! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hope this is a goodnights sleep coming up for you.

Tone

imagine
28th January 2012, 22:57
now will ya go to sleep :icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hrVqC54ru6U

juvyjones28
30th January 2012, 14:53
Thanks tone and imagine :icon_lol::xxgrinning--00xx3: