PDA

View Full Version : Rogue out of hours GP

Dedworth
26th January 2012, 23:22
Not sure if this has been posted. The sloppy NHS paid this grub £230000 pa - he's now been suspended

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2091761/Out-hours-doctor-Ravi-Sondhi-took-3-hours-respond-urgent-calls.html#ixzz1kbbc7Upu

grahamw48
27th January 2012, 01:25
Mug Britain....mugged again. :NoNo:

Doc Alan
27th January 2012, 01:39
Not sure WHY it's been posted Ded :doh
I won't make a judgement based on press report(s), when the GMC has already suspended this doctor pending investigation.
What I CAN do, since you raised the issue, is to give a balanced response based on facts. Members look for that and are entitled to get it.
A small number of UK doctors fall seriously short of the standards expected of them. Of nearly 240,000 doctors on the General Medical Council ( GMC ) register, 73 were struck off in 2010 ( less than 1/3000 ). That resulted from complaints about 1/70 doctors.
The main concerns are about clinical investigations / treatment ; and respect for / communication with patients.
There is indeed unacceptable variation in practice between different groups of doctors. There are more complaints about male doctors ; older doctors ; doctors who qualified outside the UK ( 2/5 ) ; and GPs.

The NHS is imperfect, but " sloppy " is not a word I would use. There is no evidence that healthcare is better in the Philippines. Members need reassuring - again - that in most cases they can expect safe and effective care, largely free at the point of delivery, when they need it in the UK.
We will always have a tiny minority of rogue doctors. Another Harold Shipman - or Ravi Sondhi - can't be completely prevented despite the best will - and regulation - in the world.

Dedworth
27th January 2012, 02:10
Doc - I know it's not been judged yet but I'm hopeful he'll be struck off and face criminal charges. There seems to be a bit of previous - wife struck off over nursing home staff bullying, he's bankrupt to the tune of £11 million. What I find appalling is lax NHS procedures allowed him on the gravy train to provide out of hours service to a huge swathe of South London - nearly a million people :angry:

More here

http://www.thisiscroydontoday.co.uk/Dodgy-Croydon-doctor-Ravi-Sondhi-conned-patients/story-15042682-detail/story.html

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/local/suttonnews/8933176.Dishonest_GP_struck_off_by_the_General_Medical_Council/

joebloggs
27th January 2012, 11:56
The sloppy NHS paid this grub £230000 pa - he's now been suspended

i doubt he got paid £230k, my misses is working as a GP for 4 months as part of her training, and she gets paid :censored: all :NoNo:

i think pay for a GP is £67k to £100k, cant see him get £130k in OT

Dedworth
27th January 2012, 16:46
i doubt he got paid £230k, my misses is working as a GP for 4 months as part of her training, and she gets paid :censored: all :NoNo:

i think pay for a GP is £67k to £100k, cant see him get £130k in OT

He will get that Joe he's running the out of hours operation for 900000 patients on top of being a practice GP (if he bothers doing that)

Arthur Little
27th January 2012, 18:46
He, Dr *Ravi Sondhi, will get that Joe he's running the out of hours operation for 900000 patients on top of being a practice GP (if he bothers doing that)

Hmm ... :rolleyes: ... a "very peculiar practice" ... [apparently] "doctored" to impatiently "treat" his own *ravishing greed!

hawk
27th January 2012, 20:00
nothing new with doctors on call i had to call one out suspected pendicks you know what i mean:laugher:all he did was look at temp gave me pain killers that i thro back up before he got out the street i phoned ambulance i was in operating room 1hr later he had alredy got his money worth :crazy:

Doc Alan
27th January 2012, 22:26
I assume you mean appendicitis. This is hard to diagnose in half of all cases. The appendix can be in a slightly different anatomical position within the abdomen. Pain similar to appendicitis may also be caused by something else, like bladder infection, Crohn's disease or gastritis. There aren't enough hospital beds to admit everyone with abdominal pains.
Any competent doctor will ask about your symptoms, examine your abdomen and see if the pain gets worse when pressure is applied to the usual appendix area ( lower right side). They will make a provisional diagnosis - not always easy. A judgement has to be made whether or not admission to hospital is indicated. Symptoms may then rapidly worsen, requiring emergency admission - or may disappear ( and the cause may never be known ).
If your symptoms are not typical, further tests may be required to confirm the diagnosis and rule out other conditions. These include a blood test to see if your body is fighting infection, a urine test to rule out other conditions, such as a bladder infection, ultrasound scan or magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scan - very reliable in diagnosing appendicitis. However, an operation ( " keyhole " or larger incision ) may be advised to find the source of the abdominal pain. Your appendix would be removed rather than run the risk of it bursting, if no other source was found, even if the appendix was not obviously inflamed. Examination by the pathologist is needed in every case to confirm - or rule out - appendicitis.
Every operation has its risks which have to be balanced against the risks of leaving an inflamed appendix in the body.
If anyone is unhappy with their treatment, there are complaint procedures. Ultimately - one in 70 of all registered doctors - complaints may be serious enough to reach the GMC. Some of those ( 73 in 2010 ) may be erased / " struck off " from the register. The vast majority of the rest are not "rogues".

mickcant
28th January 2012, 10:06
I am very happy with my Dr, she welcomes me asking questions and encourages me to be involved with my treatment:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I cant say about the night service as luckily I have not needed it, and long may it stay that way.
Mick.:)