PDA

View Full Version : The bias towards migrant workers

joebloggs
25th January 2012, 14:24
Why are you never served by a Londoner in a London branch of Pret A Manger? I asked this in the Telegraph recently, and yesterday’s Evening Standard had a great piece tracking down four who applied, and were rejected without an interview.

read more here
http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/7600178/the-bias-towards-migrant-workers.thtml

lastlid
26th January 2012, 16:14
I have noticed this in many branches of Starbucks and Costa Coffee, in various places including London.

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 16:23
there is a bias in favour of immigrants
Reverse racism is alive and well and traipsing around Londinium ;) My nephews looking for a job at the minute,check out some of the Job Adverts on the likes of Gumtree written in polish,or the job adverts that state Polish must be spoken,like attracts like,birds of a feather and all that,look at this site,pinays always ask to meet pinays in their areas,they never ask to meet just "Firends" always pinays,likewise of your going to a job interview nowadays I am willing to bet your ethnicity also plays a part alongside qualifications for some jobs depending upon the nationality of whoever is interviewing you,we are 2'nd class citizens in what was once our own country because london is no longer english,been to brixton or hounslow or deptford(shudder) lately ;)

Pete/London
26th January 2012, 18:31
The local coffee shop near me got rid of its British staff over a matter of months because they were on contracts. They were replaced with Poles or similar because they were temps who could be called into work as needed.

Pret was one of my favourites until I heard their policy some months ago, I now try to avoid them but its getting difficult as it seems all restaurants and coffee shops have adopted the same policy.

I hate to hear the same reason about British workers, all cobblers, its about the money and employment regs.

tone
26th January 2012, 18:33
Reminds me on my first trip to Dublin, had a meeting at the City Council offices, teh reseller said after the meeting - lets go for an Irish lunch, went accross the road lovely old place but all the bar staff were Polish!
I think it was funny and you had to be there but I think everywhere we go its like this - in Malaysia so many Pinoys working as bar and waiting staff, when we asked for rice with whatever we were eating it was always bought over with a smile..

Tone

Tawi2
26th January 2012, 19:32
Asia is different Tone,I have spent time in KK and around Sabah and always saw pinays,but we are european,supposed to have employment laws and suchlike till Labour sold us down the EU river.

lastlid
27th January 2012, 07:50
I hate to hear the same reason about British workers, all cobblers, its about the money and employment regs.

You are 100% correct. My former employer was like that. Possibly the biggest single employer in Aberdeen. I worked pretty closely at the point of hiring there so I could see first hand.