PDA

View Full Version : Call the Midwife!

Rosie1958
24th January 2012, 22:49
A new series started earlier this month called Call the Midwife which is being televised on BBC1 at 8pm every Sunday evening . It’s about midwifery, set in the 1950s in the East End of London and there are some very well known actors and actresses appearing in it – Jenny Agutter, comedienne Miranda Hart, Pam Ferris, Minty from Eastenders (!) Vanessa Redgrave’s voice, , etc..

The series is based on true fact and shows how hard life was for those living in poverty at this time. Contrary to popular belief, the streets of London were not paved with gold and some of our Filipina forum members that are living in the UK may find it quite interesting and a bit of an eye opener about the conditions people had to endure, particularly when bringing babies into the world.

I am particularly interested in this new series as my partner’s 11 year old son is a film extra in this TV programme and has appeared in several scenes during the two weeks it has been screened. He has also just been called back to film a second series in the summer since the new series has proved so popular. He’s very excited, bless him and so are we! :Jump:

mickcant
25th January 2012, 09:07
:wink: As a mere male - who was not allowed to be present at my two sons' births in the 1960s - I find some of it quite graphic. :omg:!

But an enjoyable programme. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Liked watching the nurse trying to ride her bike this week. :icon_lol:

Mick :)

Rosie1958
25th January 2012, 22:52
:wink: As a mere male - who was not allowed to be present at my two sons' births in the 1960s - I find some of it quite graphic. :omg:!

But an enjoyable programme. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Liked the nurse trying to ride her bike this week. :icon_lol:

Mick :)

Yes, I know exactly what you mean Mick! The midwife riding the bicycle was Miranda Hart and in that scene our "little star" was standing right in front of the bike teasing and trying to obstruct her.

I have enjoyed seeing some of the authentic props being used, especially some of the prams and that naughty golliwog ...... you don't see many of those about these days as not politically correct! :icon_lol:

For some reason, seeing the washing hanging out stretched across the street reminds me of Hong Kong ........ I think it must be a connection with seeing the washing blowing around on the poles used in the high rise flats. :doh

Arthur Little
30th January 2012, 00:23
:) Rosie, thanks for drawing our attention to this promising new Sunday evening programme, which I'd intended watching from the start ... but unfortunately didn't manage to get around to seeing last week's opening episode in which your partner's son had a cameo role. However, I thoroughly enjoyed the second part ... and look forward to catching a glimpse of your up and coming star later on. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
30th January 2012, 00:41
Glad that you enjoyed the programme Arthur, we found it very entertaining tonight and quite funny in places! :D

I'd like to post a photo of our budding little star on set with Miranda Hart here in this thread but clicking on the "insert image" icon requires a URL and I don't have one (I'm not a facebook user either). Is there any other way to add a photo on here direct from a laptop?

Arthur Little
30th January 2012, 00:56
Is there any other way to add a photo on here direct from a laptop?

:sorry-2:, Rosie ... I'm not sure, to be honest. Although my PC is a desktop, I haven't really any idea how to add a photo. :rolleyes: But then, hopefully some other member will be able to advise; certainly I'd very much like to see his photo.

Rosie1958
30th January 2012, 23:33
:sorry-2:, Rosie ... I'm not sure, to be honest. Although my PC is a desktop, I haven't really any idea how to add a photo. :rolleyes: But then, hopefully some other member will be able to advise; certainly I'd very much like to see his photo.

Hi Arthur, I have come across this problem before and wasn't able to resolve it then either. However, since you have expressed an interest in seeing the photo, I have placed a copy in my public photo album which can be accessed via my profile :xxgrinning--00xx3:

mickcant
31st January 2012, 00:20
Hi Rosie :Wave:

I have watched them all to date, and just looked at your photo and remember the scene now. Will he be popping up any more in the series?

Mick :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
31st January 2012, 23:01
Hi Rosie :Wave:

I have watched them all to date, and just looked at your photo and remember the scene now, will he be popping up any more in the series?

Mick :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Hi Mick

Teddy was in the opening scenes in the first episode underneath the bridge with several other children and a few other scenes in that episode too. He was in the wedding scene in the second episode and also the scene where Miranda Hart was trying to learn to ride a bike (where he was obstructing her by standing in front of the cycle). He's usually amongst other children and I don't know what's coming next, although he did mention being in a classroom scene too. Anyway, watch out for his dark hair and taupe coloured jumper (as pictured on my profile), he seems to have worn the same costume throughout so far (!) He really enjoyed the filming and getting to know the cast at the hotel afterwards.

He has already been in Holby (the hospital series) and just missed being selected as "the" boy in a new Tescos advert. He will be back filming another series of Call the Midwife in the summer ..... his dad is so proud! :D

Arthur Little
26th February 2015, 02:12
Rosie ... though I couldn't watch the new programme you mentioned had been televised on 'Sky' earlier this evening, I'm an avid fan of 'Call The Midwife' - now into its 4th Series - which is why I've reopened this thread in order to express my personal thanks to you for bringing it to members' attention at the time it was first screened more than three years' ago. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
2nd March 2015, 02:48
Resurrected this particular thread the other evening by way of thanking Rosie for first introducing members to this most enjoyable series at the time of its inception. Rosie, I've observed, is fairly often on the forum at weekends. Alas not the past weekend.

Consequently, this latest post of mine's an attempt to keep the thread "afloat" a wee bit longer in the hope it's eventually seen by Rosie. :wink:

Arthur Little
13th March 2015, 02:16
Resurrected this particular thread the other evening by way of thanking Rosie for first introducing members to this most enjoyable series at the time of its inception. Rosie, I've observed, is fairly often on the forum at weekends. Alas not the past weekend.

Consequently, this latest post of mine's an attempt to keep the thread "afloat" a wee bit longer in the hope it's eventually seen by Rosie. :wink:

Still hanging on ... ever hopeful, I am. :wink: