PDA

View Full Version : Megaupload shutdown raises new Internet-sharing fears

joebloggs
21st January 2012, 09:55
the end of file hosts ?

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/megaupload-shutdown-raises-new-internet-sharing-fears/2012/01/20/gIQATHRtEQ_story.html

mega upload shutdown

owners Kim Schmitz gets his cars seized

http://www.flickr.com/photos/elliottkember/sets/72157628949521545/with/6729504809/

grahamw48
21st January 2012, 15:25
Not sure how I feel about this.

I think if I was a musician or music company I wouldn't be very pleased at someone stealing my stuff. :Erm:

jmed2k12
26th February 2012, 23:36
One thing that is playing in my mind. Why is it that only megaupload? There are so many other filehosting services out there :Erm:
With regards to stealing their stuff, the filehost (in this case Megaupload) has nothing to do with it, it was the uploader who is responsible. What i know is, if someone report a particular file being illegally uploaded in that filehosting, they will remove that file from their service. Just my opinion.

joebloggs
27th February 2012, 11:54
one of the probelms was they were paying people who had uploaded files.

tone
27th February 2012, 12:36
This is a problem that will never go away - its not (in principle) too different to the old days where someone would buy an album on vinyl and we would all record it to tapes.
The difference now obviously is the people taping it is quite a larger audience.

If music didn't cost so much piracy would reduce - but never totally be gone because some people just wont buy for a variety of reasons.

The other side is films, if it didn't cost £10 a ticket to see a film and the food/drinks were cheaper in the cinemas (like they are in the far east) people would go more (like they do in the far east).
When I was last in Manila it cost us £4.50 to see the latest 3d film and the food/ice cream was very cheap. Here if we go to the cinema we don't get much change from £30 for two of us!

I would love to go to the cinema weekly but the cost is too high, been thinking about an unlimited ticket but its a yearly commitment just like phone contracts etc...

The bottom line is whilst media is digital piracy will prevail - music, games, films and software will all be pirated to some degree.

Tone