PDA

View Full Version : Beware of fake relationship & scam

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 13:03
I asked permission from my cousin to post her experience here and she approved it so others will benefit, though I know most of you have heard about this kind of frauds many times or even yourself have experienced it before.

So here is the story.

My cousin met this guy with initial TR from UK. He said he works for British Petroleum as Engineer and earn good money. He said he is 39 years old, tall, and medium built. I saw his pictures on fb and I confirmed to my cousin that he is a british guy. They met through facebook and exchanged messages for 2 months. After endless chat and exchanging sweet nothings they become bf and gf. My cousin is a Math secondary teacher but she is not into internet activities that much so she wasn't aware what was going on. She is single and very keen to find true love. She trusted this guy since he is very sweet and kind. So to make the story short, The guy said he is coming over to Phils in Dec 2011 to meet my cousin personally and to meet her family as well. He said he will have to go to Malaysia first to sign whatsoever contract for his job. So he contacted my cousin from malaysia 3 days before his flight to Phils. She asked me If I could accompany her during his 1 week visit and I agree. My cousin was very excited to finally see him in person. We left early to NAIA to pick him up. Then unfortunately something came up. His flight from Malaysia was 7.30am, my cousin was surprised why he rang her at 8am telling her he missed his flight and that his plane left already. He said he lost his baggage and everything at the airport and that only his passport and phone was left then he asked my cousin If she could send him $400 to buy another ticket and he will pay her back once landed in Phils. After she told me that I had a sense something was not right and I was very suspicious its a scam. He rang again after 30 mins saying he is still waiting for my cousin to send the money through WU but my cousin told him she don't have that money then he said maybe $200 should be okay as he really need it asap. I was like LOL bargain? :icon_lol:then he even said $100 should be okay. When he rang again I talked to him and LOL he didn't sound like British at all cos I know how british accent sounds like as I lived in UK for 6 months and my husband is a british. I was on the phone with him and listening to all his dilemma at the airport. I'm pretty sure he is from Nigeria or India with odd accent. So in the end I told my cousin to never send any penny cos he is not real and its a scam. The photos on fb he claimed were him turned out to be stolen photos of a real British guy. In truth, TR (I have no idea of their real identity) was merely a scam artist whose goal was to eventually draw money from innocent women like my cousin. My cousin was actually very lucky she didn't send any money or gave personal information about herself.

Basically It was too good to be true and If my cousin didn't tell me about this guy then she would have sent him the $400 he needed. We have to be very careful with people we meet online, to avoid love-frauds consider searching about their real identity first and meet personally before moving to a relationship. My last word to my cousin was, “Stay strong – someone will eventually come that will be honest and not wanting to play with your feelings.”

mickcant
15th January 2012, 14:07
Thank you for posting that account:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree it is difficult to spot a scammer when we are hoping to find true love:NoNo:

She was lucky to have you to help her, well done.
Mick.:)

hawk
15th January 2012, 14:14
that is very true least she find out sooner than later if you start talking with someone you should always have webcam and say as my fiancee said no cam no talk then least you can see who your talking to, hope she finds a good guy:Wave:

Iani
15th January 2012, 14:17
Thank you for posting, sorry to hear she had to go through this though.

Maybe it's a very good reason to always chat to someone by phone even, before committing to a relationship, though perhaps if you aren't used to UK accents, you'd not recognise one?

It's always bloody Nigeria or africa isn't it :cwm23:

For all it's worth, it's extremely unlikely anyone from the UK would request you sent them money if you are in a relationship -it's just not, well this might sound old fashioned, but for a start, it just isn't the "done thing".

Edit, just thinking, even moreso if he was working for British Petroleum or otherwise contracted to work abroad, well I know enough people who do this, and they are all of them on very good money. There is no way he would be unable to get $400 because of being stranded at an airport. That's ludicrous, he'd have a bank card, or if he didn't - then he would have plenty of spare cash on him. If he was carrying neither - then run because you'd be dating a real fool!

Also everyone has bank accounts, and most likely credit cards, and if push came to shove in an emergency, our banks will usually sort something out.

It just gets me well angry this sort of thing, even the moreso as it's picking on a woman from a place where $400 means more than say to someone from my country

Rory
15th January 2012, 14:22
I am surprise that cousin never asked to see this guy on webcam. All computer in made in the last few years have webcams built in. If he had no webcam on his computer or laptop then that should send a few alarm bells ringing.
Sorry to hear your cousin nearly got scammed, there are many out there but many guys are getting scammed as well, everyone need to be on the ball.

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 14:38
Yep I had sense that it was all joke and fraud, my cousin didn't know how british accent sounds like so she was convinced he is really a british guy. She said she asked him many times to turn his webcam on but he always had excuses and alibi rather he sent more pics of the innocent british guy claiming that were him. I feel sorry for the guy he used whoever he is. Its a lesson learned.

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 14:47
Thank you for posting that account:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree it is difficult to spot a scammer when we are hoping to find true love:NoNo:

She was lucky to have you to help her, well done.
Mick.:)

Yes thats right Mick. I told her about this forum and she want to be a member too. Then perhaps she could find true love here who knows :xxgrinning--00xx3: B

She said she is more cautious now so thats good. :):)

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 15:05
that is very true least she find out sooner then later if you start talking with someone you should always have webcam and say as my fiancee said no cam no talk then least you can see who your talking too hope she finds a good guy:Wave:

Yes indeed hawk :) no cam no talk is a must :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 15:13
Thank you for posting, sorry to hear she had to go through this though.

Maybe it's a very good reason to always chat to someone by phone even, before committing to a relationship, though perhaps if you aren't used to UK accents, you'd not recognise one?

It's always bloody Nigeria or africa isn't it :cwm23:

For all it's worth, it's extremely unlikely anyone from the UK would request you sent them money if you are in a relationship -it's just not, well this might sound old fashioned, but for a start, it just isn't the "done thing".

Edit, just thinking, even moreso if he was working for British Petroleum or otherwise contracted to work abroad, well I know enough people who do this, and they are all of them on very good money. There is no way he would be unable to get $400 because of being stranded at an airport. That's ludicrous, he'd have a bank card, or if he didn't - then he would have plenty of spare cash on him. If he was carrying neither - then run because you'd be dating a real fool!

Also everyone has bank accounts, and most likely credit cards, and if push came to shove in an emergency, our banks will usually sort something out.

It just gets me well angry this sort of thing, even the moreso as it's picking on a woman from a place where $400 means more than say to someone from my country

They chat on ym and facebook and also they talk on phone but my cousin was really convinced he was real. He speak good english but not authentic british accent.

Yes I know real british men are generous and won't initiate to ask money from girls esp from Phils.

Apparently he thought we are fool enough to believe he lost everything at the airport. Such a stupid scammer :icon_lol: :D

grahamw48
15th January 2012, 15:34
It's not that we're generous....just that most of us have some pride and self-respect. :rolleyes:

I agree, what kind of fool in a good job and resources back home (worth meeting) would ever have to borrow money from a girl from a 3rd world country ?

Absolute 100% bullshit. :NoNo:

To all Filipinas....guess which guy is talking with a British regional accent on this video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTFauI8INY&feature=related

imagine
15th January 2012, 15:51
sorry to hear of your cousin , she is lucky you were there for her,

as graham says, british men are too proud to ask for money even if we get in a real bad situation and more especialy to ask from a female,

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 16:07
It's not that we're generous....just that most of us have some pride and self-respect. :rolleyes:

I agree, what kind of fool in a good job and resources back home (worth meeting) would ever have to borrow money from a girl from a 3rd world country ?

Absolute 100% bullshit. :NoNo:

To all Filipinas....guess which guy is talking with a British regional accent on this video. :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MTFauI8INY&feature=related

The scammer guy in the video has similar accent with TR but he was trying hard to sound like a real british :icon_lol:

Your right my husband is one example for me, he is too proud he never ask money from anyone else even to his own mother when we badly needed. I salute you guys for maintaining the good reputation :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 16:12
sorry to hear of your cousin , she is lucky you were there for her,

as graham says, british men are too proud to ask for money even if we get in a real bad situation and more especialy to ask from a female,

Yes she is very lucky indeed. Now she is a bit afraid to try online relationship again but I told her never give up cos not every guy is scammer. Yep I'm very impressed with most british men I met esp my husband. :xxgrinning--00xx3::D

imagine
15th January 2012, 17:01
it takes time to be sure the other person is genuine, there seems a lot of fakes, scammers and just plain players on the internet dating sites, just a matter of figuring whos who, at least she will be a little wiser now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 17:28
it takes time to be sure the other person is genuine, there seems a lot of fakes, scammers and just plain players on the internet dating sites, just a matter of figuring whos who, at least she will be a little wiser now :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I agree :xxgrinning--00xx3:

LeoLady
15th January 2012, 19:01
seems like it happened with my sister the same story.basically my sister didn't give money to this guy. she knows he was fraud

sheriel
15th January 2012, 19:50
I am very sorry to hear your story I repeat i am a British man i dont believe in Computer relationship iam old school,i have beautifull Filipina wife,we are always true and honest,and no we are not all millionaires,but i support my wife for two years,before she came here,we meet face to face in Ormoc in 2000,i wish you and your cousin good luck,i have many E mails from Nigeria/africa to say i could have lots of money in Dorment accounts,if i agree to send my details for further info,again i am sorry for your cousin.

juvyjones28
15th January 2012, 20:01
seems like it happened with my sister the same story.basically my sister didn't give money to this guy. she knows he was fraud

Yes sis, It happens everywhere. People just need to be extra careful :)

grahamw48
15th January 2012, 20:06
Anyone with doubts, put their email address and any usernames on here...including facebook and YM etc.

(By PM if you want privacy).

They can soon be checked out. :)

Dedworth
15th January 2012, 20:41
Your sister was lucky.

One common trait that seems to repeat itself often with these scamming goons is they're always stuck in Malaysia needing the cash whether they're in jail, hospital or like your sisters man after the air ticket. Maybe they always quote that country as it is tantalisingly close to the mark who lives in the Phils

Rosie1958
16th January 2012, 00:04
Sorry to hear about your cousin's bad experience Juvyjones28. Unfortunately, there are many unscrupulous people in the world who thrive on lies and deceit just to obtain money and don't care how they get it, or who they hurt in the process :cwm23:

The advice about using a webcam and not taking no for an answer is key to the beginning of any potential relationship. The issue of trust and verifying/ knowing exactly who one is speaking to is too important to ignore.

I wish your cousin better luck next time. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

juvyjones28
16th January 2012, 12:46
Anyone with doubts, put their email address and any usernames on here...including facebook and YM etc.

(By PM if you want privacy).

They can soon be checked out. :)

Apparently the guy deleted or reactivated his facebook account already. I know I only disclosed his initials TR but for others to be aware he used Tommy Russ not even sure if that was his real name.

juvyjones28
16th January 2012, 12:50
:thankyou: Rosie and Dedworth. She fell inlove with this guy that never exist :gost: but she said she has moved on now. She is afraid to try online relationship again but I told her never lose hope. True love comes when you least expect it. :D:Wave:

South-east boy
16th January 2012, 14:35
I'm glad you were able to help your cousin out and she has someone to help her, + your husband if needed, being that someone British would be able to tell the easiest if someone is fake British!

It's also another good reason as to why to not have your personal pics on public settings on Facebook as someone can easily copy them and make up a fake profile. A Filipina friend of mine had a lot of her photos copied by someone else for a fake profile.

Did you report the fake propile to Facebook?

Arthur Little
16th January 2012, 22:05
Juvy ... :thankyou: so much for taking the time and trouble to draw your cousin's nasty experience to our attention. It's NOT that we "thrive" on material like this :nono-1-1: ... FAR from it! But HERS - and similar stories are cautionary tales, serving as a RED ALERT ... a salutory warning to all readers to be on their guard - at all times - against even the remotest chance of being scammed themselves. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

juvyjones28
20th January 2012, 08:12
Juvy ... :thankyou: so much for taking the time and trouble to draw your cousin's nasty experience to our attention. It's NOT that we "thrive" on material like this :nono-1-1: ... FAR from it! But HERS - and similar stories are cautionary tales, serving as a RED ALERT ... a salutory warning to all readers to be on their guard - at all times - against even the remotest chance of being scammed themselves. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

:xxgrinning--00xx3::D

juvyjones28
20th January 2012, 08:15
Did you report the fake propile to Facebook?

We didn't :NoNo:, he was alert and took off his account on facebook very quickly.