PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone had any experience of these airlines? - and a few other questions!

South-east boy
4th January 2012, 17:43
Been looking around at prices to see what actual and total costs will be for flights in March or October to January. March might or might not be doable-depends if I manage to sell my Beetle and some other bits & pieces etc. Trouble between those times are that it's the hot, then wet/hurricane season when it isn't so good to go. Anyway . . .

I'll be going from London to Manila and as you probably know some prices don't include the taxes and can be low or high just for the flights and the taxes can be low or high added on top. Don't know why they just don't have the one price with both included! Are the only costs the flight, taxes abta cover and booking fee's or are there others too? Some quotes I've had are from airlines such as Kuwait, Royal Brunei, Saudi Arabia, Cathay, Jet airways and Gulf air. I know Cathay are meant to be pretty good, but haven't heard much on the others, especially Gulf air and Jet airways.

Cheapest I had when phoning one place was £509 everything included with Gulf air and online quotes for the dates (but without abta cover and booking etc fee), £413 and £449 with Kuwait, £419 with Saudi, £421 and £436 with Gulf air, £435 and £477 with Royal Brunei, £479 with Jet airways and £479 with Cathay. Of course it could be a different question once I ring up and get the full price or want to book. Also I'm wondering hoqw the prices might chnage over the next few weeks and if there might be any special offers as there was last year etc.

Thanks for any help/advice! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
4th January 2012, 17:57
Try Cathay Pacific direct.
March 2012 shows £547

Oct 2012 onwards direct from CP shows £900+ :yikes:

A friend of mine used this info with her usual Pinoy travel agent and got the same flights, same price, same dates but with 30kg baggage.
Worth a try anyway.

grahamw48
4th January 2012, 23:51
I paid £587 today with Etihad, inclusive of all taxes, but from Manchester....so a bit more than from London. Mid-February.

You should be able to fly with them for about £50 less from London I'd have thought. (Heathrow ?).

stevie c
5th January 2012, 00:08
booked a flight fo me & the mrs today fly out june with cathay pice was £557 from heathrow

worthingmale
5th January 2012, 14:36
Jet Airways is Indian I believe, only ever flown with Kingfisher Indian and they were realyl realyl good.

Saudi Arabia didnt like, I walked into the prayer room at the back thinking it was the toilet by accident.

malditako
5th January 2012, 16:02
anyone knows xmas flights 2012...checked emirates available flights is till 10th of december. is it possible to get a flight near xmas day then return first week of january 2013?

grahamw48
5th January 2012, 16:24
Jet Airways is Indian I believe, only ever flown with Kingfisher Indian and they were realyl realyl good.

Saudi Arabia didnt like, I walked into the prayer room at the back thinking it was the toilet by accident.

.:laugher:

At least you get a nice disembarkation badge with some of the Arab airlines....:D

http://img106.imageshack.us/img106/905/terroristbuttonsu2.jpg

Arthur Little
5th January 2012, 17:28
Been looking around at prices to see what actual and total costs will be for flights in March or October to January.

:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... good lad! :)

March might or might not be doable-depends if I manage to sell my Beetle and some other bits & pieces etc. Trouble between those times are that it's the hot, then wet/hurricane season when it isn't so good to go. Anyway . . .

... GO FOR IT, Tim :Jump: - no "ifs or buts" - WHENEVER or WHATEVER !!

I'll be going from London to Manila

WHICHEVER :airline: you select, it's ... "*Viva Las Filipinas !" :Hellooo: - *literally!

RickyR
5th January 2012, 18:36
Kuwait airways is pretty basic, although a reasonably easy route.

KLM, Cathay, Singapore Airlines, Asiana, Emirates, Qatar, Etihad are the better airlines that I've flown into Manila on and would recommend.

Arthur Little
5th January 2012, 19:04
Kuwait airways is pretty basic, although a reasonably easy route.

:icon_lol: ... Oi'll venture to suggest that, with THEM, :yeahthat: it'll be a case of "Jus' kuwait and see ...!" :anerikke:

South-east boy
6th January 2012, 13:16
:xxgrinning--00xx3: ... good lad! :)

... GO FOR IT, Tim :Jump: - no "ifs or buts" - WHENEVER or WHATEVER !!

WHICHEVER :airline: you select, it's ... "*Viva Las Filipinas !" :Hellooo: - *literally!

Thanks Arthur! Will definitely go this year, just not sure exactly when yet!

South-east boy
6th January 2012, 13:21
Well, after phoning places, as I thought you can't really go by the online prices! Cheapest I found was £469 with Saudi, but that was for only 10 days and with the travelling times taken out of that, I'd only have around a week and that would include my body-clock adjusting and any jet-lag! Next best was £499, £509 and £515 with Kuwait. Not found a better deal for Cathay than with their direct website. Also got Etihad for £549.

grahamw48
6th January 2012, 13:28
I think the going rate is going to be £500-600, so take your pick.

Also check carefully transit times on mid-east routed flights. :)

Dedworth
6th January 2012, 13:30
Thanks Arthur! Will definitely go this year, just not sure exactly when yet!

Carpe diem !

stevie c
6th January 2012, 16:31
Try Crystal travel & ask for cherry
I just booked a flight for 3 people & the price was £557 pp flying with cathay :)

Terpe
6th January 2012, 20:03
IMO cheap is not always 'cheap'.
I certainly want the best value I can get, but not at any price.

For me there are some 'givens' I will not compromise on.

Look at the prices of course, but also look at what you get per £
Connections/Transit times
Seating comfort
Baggage allowance
Getting to the airport
Airport Parking
Service Levels and benefits
etc.

Some people don't care about being in an airport terminal waiting for a connection for 10 hours. I do.

Think about what you want, the objective is to be satisfied happy with what you've got. Not to voice-out about how 'smart' you've been to get a flight £50 less than anyone else.

I'm quite happy to spend that extra £50 for an extra 10kg baggage. I'll even pay an extra £50 to connect within 3 hours rather than 13 hours.

Sometimes, for me, cheap is not cheap.

stevie c
6th January 2012, 20:31
Quite right too terpe I booked with cathay & i got 30k luggage allowance
We are flying from Heathrow at 12.03pm with a 2 hour stop in Hong Kong then arriving in Manila 11.15am local time cost of £557 pp
Im quite satisfied with that deal.

grahamw48
6th January 2012, 20:45
Very true Terpe.

Same airline, same route, same price.

One flight 3 hour transit mid-east, other flight 11 hour transit time. :cwm24:

You can guess which one I'm going on. :)

Rory
7th January 2012, 11:03
should i worry then i check out the prices to fly with Emirates and it keeps have in red capitals, OPERATING CARRIER ON EU BLACKLIST.

grahamw48
7th January 2012, 11:30
Emirates ?

Flown with them once or twice....including bringing the ex back here.

One of the best airlines around. :Erm:

stevie c
7th January 2012, 20:40
Yes Graham Emirates are a great airline
I travelled with them once & couldnt fault them :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
7th January 2012, 21:25
should i worry then i check out the prices to fly with Emirates and it keeps have in red capitals, OPERATING CARRIER ON EU BLACKLIST.

In such cases check your travel insurance.

South-east boy
27th January 2012, 13:36
On Cathay Pacific's own website, they now have flights in March for as cheap as £515! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

sars_notd_virus
27th January 2012, 13:53
I like Cathay pacific, but would like to try emirates next time i visit Ph , i want a 3hours stop over to dubai to shop for jewelries , but looking at the price of the flights for december and august this year i think i will end up with gulf air:doh

Englishman2010
27th January 2012, 16:40
Cathay are OK, on par with KLM in my opinion, but not as good as Emirates. The advantage of Cathay is that it is one of the shortest routes and transfers. I'd fly with them again and £515 is a good price:xxgrinning--00xx3: I paid around £530 with them last Easter. I have never got an Emirates flight to Manila for under £600, but I usually go via HK with Emirates anyway and spend a few days either side of my trip there:)

I flew with Gulf to Mumbai about 10 yrs ago, and vowed never again.

I flew internally in India with Jet about 10 years ago, they were a bit cheap and cheerful, not sure I'd want to go long haul with them.

Saudi will change your dates and times at least a dozen times before you fly - dont waste your time

Royal Brunei - I've only had shorthaul experience with them from Manila to Bandar Seri Begawan, but they were pleasant and never put me off

Tawi2
27th January 2012, 18:49
Flown Cathay,Emirates,Royal Brunei etc,Cathay for me normally,I can fall out of bed and be at Heathrow,plus I prefer a longer flight and land at Hong Kong,comfortable territory:)

South-east boy
2nd February 2012, 13:09
Prices as low as £497 now from Cathay in March! :D

Englishman2010
2nd February 2012, 15:11
Prices as low as £497 now from Cathay in March! :D

Book it now:xxgrinning--00xx3: I can't see you getting it much cheaper, and I wouldn't want to run the risk of leaving it for a week and finding out it had gone up to £600. It's a great deal with the shortest route and transfers:xxgrinning--00xx3:

stevie c
2nd February 2012, 16:00
That is a good price :xxgrinning--00xx3:

i booked a flight with cathay for june price was £557

malchard888
2nd February 2012, 17:46
Whilst it doesnt give price comparisons the following website give u plenty of information about airlines and airports etc so at least u can pick a flight worth flying on if the price consideration isnt paramount.
http://www.airlinequality.com/