PDA

View Full Version : applying for a citizenhip

michael
6th June 2007, 17:55
hi all,

good day!!!!

ive just want some advice from anyone,im planning to apply for a citizenhip next week,my wife has spouse visa which expires this december.do you think i could include my wife for citizenship visa or she has to apply first for a ILR visa.

thank you very much

regards

michael

walesrob
6th June 2007, 19:07
hi all,

good day!!!!

ive just want some advice from anyone,im planning to apply for a citizenhip next week,my wife has spouse visa which expires this december.do you think i could include my wife for citizenship visa or she has to apply first for a ILR visa.

thank you very much

regards

michael

Hi Michael,

She will need to apply for ILR first; then 1 year after ILR, she can apply for Citizenship. Be ready to shell out lots of money :Rasp:

Rob

Blueberry
6th June 2007, 19:35
:omg: Hmmm interesting,i'm not at this stage yet as my wife has only been here for the last 8 months.Sorry if i'm sounding ignorant but i thought that ilr was a citizenship because of the indefinate leave to remain?
Can anyone please tell more.

walesrob
6th June 2007, 19:48
:omg: Hmmm interesting,i'm not at this stage yet as my wife has only been here for the last 8 months.Sorry if i'm sounding ignorant but i thought that ilr was a citizenship because of the indefinate leave to remain?

ILR is Indefinite Leave to Remain, but can also known as "Residency". However Citizenship, or "Naturalisation" is when the applicant aquires a British Passport, so becomes British.

I know of people who have had ILR for years and wont bother with Naturalisation. Its not compulsory to take Naturalisation, as ILR is Indefinite, but it is a good idea, saves hassle when travelling. A British Passport gets you lots of place. For example, if you are a Filipino Passport holder with a UK ILR stamp, you would still be subject to UK Immigration everytime you re-enter the country, but with a UK passport this would not be the case.

LadyJ
6th June 2007, 20:22
hi all,

good day!!!!

thank you very much

regards

michael

Walesrob is right!

You cannot include your wife or any of your dependant. Only you who have completed holding the full year of ILR can apply for the Citizenship.

Even your wife is holding a ILR she will need to apply citizenship separately.

And citizenship is not a visa!

Blueberry, what is your wife current status here in UK?

Indefinite Leave to Remain for short ILR and this is a visa.

Citizenship is different..... You are a Filipino Citizen, If you've been naturalized to be a British Citizen then you will be holding a Dual Citizen.

joebloggs
7th June 2007, 11:05
yes, you can still have problems with ILR, if your out of the UK for 2 years or more in one trip, the ECO can challenge you, wether the UK is your permenant home, and they can revoke your ILR.

naturalization your totally free from any immigration problems, but you will have to pay for it, and i think its £600 for an adult ? and the processing time is near 6 months :yikes: :yikes: :yikes:

vbkelly
7th June 2007, 14:39
:Hellooo: :Hellooo:
hi all,

good day!!!!

thank you very much

regards

michaelmeaning your not a british so you need to stay in the UK for 5years or over its depend for how many absences you had in the UK before you apply a british citizenship and your wife she needs to apply ILR first before citizenship :Hellooo: :Hellooo: :Hellooo:

michael
7th June 2007, 18:40
hi all,

thank you very much for your reply,do you know how much now the ILR premium,any idea?

thanks

michael

gingxrick
7th June 2007, 21:06
the premium for ILR is £750 if you send it by post and £950 if you take it in person . hope this helps

LadyJ
8th June 2007, 08:24
the premium for ILR is £750 if you send it by post and £950 if you take it in person . hope this helps

No!

If you send it by post the fee is £750... If premium or apply by person then the fee is £950.

michael
8th June 2007, 21:46
hi all,

my wife LEAVE TO REMAIN VISA expires this year 5th of december,when are we allow to apply ILR visa,is it a month before the expiration of her visa,any advice please..thank you very much

regards
michael

walesrob
8th June 2007, 22:23
hi all,

my wife LEAVE TO REMAIN VISA expires this year 5th of december,when are we allow to apply ILR visa,is it a month before the expiration of her visa,any advice please..thank you very much

regards
michael

Look, I don't wanna be rude, but use the search function on this forum, I'll guarentee you'll find the information you need, as we've covered ILR in great depth in the last few months. Also take a look at the offical IND website for up to date information

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/applicationforms/ about halfway down the page look under
"Applying for indefinite leave to remain in the UK"

Some threads that may interest you:
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2170&highlight=ILR
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=2994&highlight=ILR
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php?t=1086&highlight=ILR

Once you've read those threads, come back with any questions.

LadyJ
9th June 2007, 09:55
hi all,

regards
michael

You said on your first post your wife is holding a spouse visa??? and this time you post again that she's got LTR:Brick: :Brick: :bigcry:

Will you tell us your immigration history

What was your visa when you entered the UK?

baboyako
9th June 2007, 10:22
:yikes: 18days lang:cwm24:

jimeve
6th July 2007, 21:16
hi my wife applied for British citizenship october 2006 £268.
Just read some of the post they paid £650 or something like that.
Has the price gone up, or have i made a :censored:cockup
BTW still :censored: waiting for the :censored: thing.
Jim :furious3:

jimeve
6th July 2007, 21:20
oh yeah and still waiting for the email i sent them last week. :Brick::CompBuster:

KeithD
6th July 2007, 21:42
All prices went up a few weeks ago......350%....inline with inflation :Erm:

Mrs Daddy
7th July 2007, 10:13
sorry just wondering whats the differences between ILR and FLR.does FLR is for a fiancee visa applicant and need to apply for it before the visa runs out and the ILR for a spouse visa that need for you to apply when the said visa expires as well.am doing my reading for it.wheew a lot of reading to do really!

jimeve
7th July 2007, 10:16
Thanks i was worried, thats some price hike. my small 2 bed house in Bolton, now worth at least £400,000 :rolleyes:

gingxrick
7th July 2007, 12:03
Hi Mrs daddy, FLR means further leave to remain (spouse visa 2 years) ILR means indefinite leave to remain.

aromulus
7th July 2007, 12:35
Thanks i was worried, thats some price hike. my small 2 bed house in Bolton, now worth at least £400,000 :rolleyes:

What's a couple of hundred quid compared to 400 K...??? :Erm:

kentish
7th July 2007, 16:29

That's taking sooooooooooooo long, are you sure its not lost in the post?
I would be sleepless if that was me.
I applied in march this year and got the result 2 days before the second month from posting via royal mail. I will start a new thread here about my experience when I applied for naturalisation to share to those who will soon go to that route.

vbkelly
7th July 2007, 21:57
I applied in march this year and got the result 2 days before the second month from posting via royal mail. I will start a new thread here about my experience when I applied for naturalisation to share to those who will soon go to that route.I applied last month for naturalisation i paid £655including ceremony fee and after 3days i recieved the acknowledgement letter from home office and the receipt of payment,saying that they recieved my documents

KeithD
8th July 2007, 09:09
Mr Brown says thanks for the money it'll go towards the donation to Cliff Richard for the loan of his tropical island for a holiday :NoNo:

kentish
9th July 2007, 22:22
I applied last month for naturalisation i paid £655including ceremony fee and after 3days i recieved the acknowledgement letter from home office and the receipt of payment,saying that they recieved my documents

Home office is speedy sending acknowledgement letter to applicants because they wanted to cash in the £ first. Good luck to your application.

vbkelly
10th July 2007, 12:27
Home office is speedy sending acknowledgement letter to applicants because they wanted to cash in the £ first. Good luck to your application.

thanks kentish

jimeve
19th July 2007, 20:22
What's a couple of hundred quid compared to 400 K...??? :Erm:

I was comparing win2win post , 350% in line with inflation , if you scroll back all will be revealed :rolleyes:

jimeve
19th July 2007, 20:29
I applied in march this year and got the result 2 days before the second month from posting via royal mail. I will start a new thread here about my experience when I applied for naturalisation to share to those who will soon go to that route.

we recieved the acknowledgment one week later. its in the pipeline.

jimeve
19th July 2007, 20:34
think i better ring them up, cant be lost its registered post :Erm:

joebloggs
20th July 2007, 02:02
yes it looks like its lost and one of the case workers is :NEW5: on it, if you sent it off in oct 2006, when i phoned a couple of months ago, they said it could take upto 7 months to process :omg:

andypaul
20th July 2007, 12:15
If you send registered post or special delvivery etc make sure you ask for a pod to see it was recieved.

joebloggs
20th July 2007, 13:29
we recieved the acknowledgment one week later. its in the pipeline.

so you've had the letter from the Home office,! so they have your app then ! have they taken the money from your bank ?? it looks like your app has been lost internally at the HO, they send the paper work to differnt offices around the country to be processed, thats where its prob got lost :bigcry:

jimeve
20th July 2007, 21:27
We got a letter in February informing us that soon as they receive the results
of the external enquiries , they will inform us, and may take several months. :do
How many months is several? more like one year :cwm23
ps yes they took our money

charlwill
12th August 2007, 13:13

Huh? you applied october 2006? why, it is a very long process?:NoNo::doh:Erm: when I applied my citizenship it's very quick. I applied june and became citizen in 2 months time. You must act, now!!! before it's too late.

Gavanddal
18th August 2007, 17:17
Only you who have completed holding the full year of ILR can apply for the Citizenship.

That's not right. According to the IND website, a spouse of a UK citizen can apply when they've been in the UK for three years from the date that the application is received. I'm pleased about that as my wife arrived here in March 2005 we can apply for citizenship in March 2008. Assuming that the waiting time is still running at the average 3 months, we should get her British passport in time for the summer holidays.
Her ILR came through pretty quick but I'm still wincing from paying out £750. (one reason we can't afford a holiday at the moment). Just got to save up another £600+ before March. They must think we're made of money :bigcry:.

So why bother applying for citizenship? Because living in Kent it is so easy for us to travel to Europe. From our house to France in 1.5 hours or less.
I'm used to popping over 2 or 3 times a year and I want it easy for her to come with me. Besides, holidaying in the UK is crap. It's far better over there and cheaper. Bloody rip-off Britain! And Rob, no need to tell me how lovely Wales is, been there, done that, still too expensive and the weather's :censored: lousy.

walesrob
18th August 2007, 18:31
That's not right. According to the IND website, a spouse of a UK citizen can apply when they've been in the UK for three years from the date that the application is received. I'm pleased about that as my wife arrived here in March 2005 we can apply for citizenship in March 2008. Assuming that the waiting time is still running at the average 3 months, we should get her British passport in time for the summer holidays.
Her ILR came through pretty quick but I'm still wincing from paying out £750. (one reason we can't afford a holiday at the moment). Just got to save up another £600+ before March. They must think we're made of money :bigcry:.

So why bother applying for citizenship? Because living in Kent it is so easy for us to travel to Europe. From our house to France in 1.5 hours or less.
I'm used to popping over 2 or 3 times a year and I want it easy for her to come with me. Besides, holidaying in the UK is crap. It's far better over there and cheaper. Bloody rip-off Britain! And Rob, no need to tell me how lovely Wales is, been there, done that, still too expensive and the weather's :censored: lousy.

Hiya Gav,

Nothing compares to Wales - its a unique experience that matters, thats what you pay for :Rasp:

Elsa will be applying for Citizenship in March 2008 as well, and I look forward to being robbed blind AGAIN by our glorious Immigration service :icon_lol: Oh well, at least it will be the last time. :cwm12:

andypaul
18th August 2007, 20:04
Hiya Gav,

Nothing compares to Wales - its a unique experience that matters, thats what you pay for :Rasp:

Elsa will be applying for Citizenship in March 2008 as well, and I look forward to being robbed blind AGAIN by our glorious Immigration service :icon_lol: Oh well, at least it will be the last time. :cwm12:

I can hear the evill laughter coming from an office in westminster as a few unelected cvill servants start work on some scheme to find a way of some how making more money out of us to pay for their final salary pensions.

joebloggs
18th August 2007, 21:43
Hiya Gav,

get your wifes citizenship app in asap rob, who knows what the gov has lined up for april next year, price increases again?, community service ? . i cannot remember if your wife has to take the 'living in the uk test' i think she does :Erm:, has she started revising for it ?

you missed the increases in april, so bit of luck you'll miss what ever changes there are when the gov annonces its review of the immigration system, just before april, so they can start charging for them in april :NoNo:

andypaul
18th August 2007, 21:47
get your wifes citizenship app in asap rob, who knows what the gov has lined up for april next year, price increases again?, community service ? . i cannot remember if your wife has to take the 'living in the uk test' i think she does :Erm:, has she started revising for it ?

you missed the increases in april, so bit of luck you'll miss what ever changes there are when the gov annonces its review of the immigration system, just before april, so they can start charging for them in april :NoNo:

Maybe worth ensuring the test is booked up nice and early as they maybe a mini rush before march/april if people get wind of any major changes/increases in the visa process.

Gavanddal
19th August 2007, 00:54
At least my missus did her life in the UK test this year as part of the new ILR rules so she won't have to do that next year. Unless of course the government bring in another test or something they can charge us a grand for!! Still reckon the test is a joke as most Brits couldn't pass it. Perhaps they should make all school kids pass it before they're allowed to leave school. And :censored: Europe, make the Poles and Bulgarians take it before they're allowed in.

kentish
19th August 2007, 15:33
:icon_lol: Oh well, at least it will be the last time. :cwm12:

Yes last dealings with home office but she has to get back to our glorious Phil. embassy to re acquire her filipino citizenship. It means more money so just get ready however many pockets you have.

Im going to re acquire mine as I still have ties in the motherland.

Ping
19th August 2007, 18:29
no need to reacquire the citizenship if your filipino passport is not yet expired keep it and renew it before it expire.dual citizenship was allowed by the phil. gov.when you go back to phil for a holiday use your british passport in traveling but you have to bring with you your valid filipino passport to nshow to the immigration when you arrive in phil.

charlwill
19th August 2007, 21:50
I reacquire my filipino citizenhip one year before my Phils. passport expire. and I think even though it's not expire it is not valid to travel back to the Phils.coz u are no longer a filipino citizen.:Erm::Erm:

kentish
19th August 2007, 22:07
You are right charlwill. Even when I rang Phil embassy they said once you took the oathtaking ceremony on becoming British you automatically lose you PI citizenship. All you have to do is to file the re acquisition form at the embassy so that you'll become dual citizen. From there you can then get a new passport.

charlwill
19th August 2007, 22:51
I have done the re acquisition 2 years ago. I am now both a british passport holder and a filipino passport holder.:D:D:D

kentish
20th August 2007, 11:31
I am now both a british passport holder and a filipino passport holder.:D:D:D

Thats good for you. Was there any more cheche bureche at the PI embassy when you re acquired your Fil citizenship or was it straightforward? I am yet to re acquire mine.

charlwill
20th August 2007, 12:38
I did mine back to PI when I was there last but my friend did it in PI embassy. When I compared my experience to her it's alot easier to do it here to our embassy compared to PI. Only suggestion is dont take any photo at all coz they (embassy ) will not accept it. They will send u instead to their recommend photo studio (according to my friend it :censored: expensive).

Juana
27th November 2007, 00:09
Am i already eligible to apply for Citizenship? Please help from those who know better than i do or those who have experienced this....

I currently hold an ILR visa since Oct 2004. Been in England for 3 yrs + 2 mos.
Married to a Filipino converted to a British citizen after 5 yrs in England.
Problem is...husband acquired citizenship on March 2006 and we got married before that (2004). Obviously his citizenship was still Filipino then. Does that matter? OR regardless when u got married as long as he's british citizen now then im ok to apply assuming i completed all the other requirements?

Thanks. I appreciate any response. I hope soon though before all fees will go up again. =)

LadyJ
27th November 2007, 21:32
Can you please tell me how did you get the ILR visa? What was your husband status in UK when you applied for ILR?

Did you apply here in UK or Philippines?

LadyJ
27th November 2007, 21:38
Please don't post twice with the same questions or else we are all just get confused.

Juana
27th November 2007, 21:59
Thanks for reading and replying to my post Lady J. I was quite impatient that i reposted it under a new thread.
Anyway about your Q? I came here with a Visa work permit dependant (Obviously husband had a working visa and I was his dependant) and switched to ILR just after a month since husband could already apply and so we applied together since I was his dependant. After a year, he then applied for citizenship and now a british citizen from Mar 2006.
So now he's a britsh citizen, question is do i qualify under the basis of marriage to a british citizen where they only require 3 yrs stay in UK OR under the basis of lawful residence which is 5 years stay in UK???
Well I reckon it's the former from mentioned above. Just needing reassurance.

LadyJ
27th November 2007, 22:08
Not sure but I THINK you are entitled to apply for a british citizenship just after a year you held your ILR visa..

You said, you got the ILR in Oct. 2004, you should apply the citizenship in Oct 2005..You left it two years doing nothing and now the citizenship fee is a lot higher than back in 2005.

You might need to take a 'Life in the UK Test' before you get the citizenship.

Juana
27th November 2007, 22:33
I got all the requirements. Thanks for reminding anyway. Just making sure with the length of stay.
I think that you have mentioned above only applies to those who initially held a working visa (just like with my husband's case) but mine's different. I still need to complete a minimum years of stay to qualify. Whether it's 3 or 5 yrs? That's what i need to confirm.
Think of a person who is married to a british citizen at birth, he/she would still need to stay in UK for 3 yrs before he/she could apply for citizenship. Whereas mine, husband became a british citizen after our marriage.
Probably best to ring Home Office tomorrow. What do you think?

andypaul
27th November 2007, 22:56
Think of a person who is married to a british citizen at birth, he/she would still need to stay in UK for 3 yrs before he/she could apply for citizenship. Whereas mine, husband became a british citizen after our marriage.

Well im thinking of a person who has to stay for three years in the UK
Whoops forgot my english not good enough doh

better shut up now

But seriously i would get several opinions and don't just rely on the answer the person on the phone gives you the first time you ring up. Others on this website have had varying answers each time they ring up.
If you go though the UK visas website and do some serious reading and browsing you may find what the ecos refer to when making a decision.

I know i found some PDf's on the website which helped greatly and told me information i had never seen anywhere else.

Juana
27th November 2007, 23:13
:ARsurrender: PEACE man! Im such a pedant! :Hammer: I intend no harm.

Thanks for the advice. I've read all the guidelines for this application and there are no specific answers or topics regarding this matter.
I think i'll just go with my instincts. I thought i'd make sure with somebody else before sending it so as not to waste the :REGamblMoney01HL1:

andypaul
27th November 2007, 23:59
Peace love and hapiness

The pdfs im writing about are deep down and had a title descrption something like annxe (a,b,c,d,e,f,g and onwards)

The f one was the most useful document i have ever read and mentioned all the details the ECo needed requiring a spouse visa.

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/bn1

this is of intrest

More information

This site contains several pages that explain certain aspects of the law in more detail. If you are in England, Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland and would like to receive any of these, or if you are still not sure about your position, write to:-
Home Office Department 2
(Nationality General Enquiries Team)
PO Box 306
Liverpool
L2 0QN.
Telephone: 0845 010 5200
Make sure you give:-

1. Your date and place of birth;
2. Your father’s date and place of birth;
3. Your mother’s date and place of birth;
4. Where and when you got married or entered into civil partnership (if this applies);
5. Your husband’s, wife’s or civil partner’s date and place of birth (if this applies);
6. The date and place of your first arrival in the United Kingdom;
7. Your present nationality and that of your husband, wife or civil partner (if this applies), as recorded in your/your spouse's/your partner’s passport; and
8. The reference number of any previous correspondence with the Home Office.

also this

http://www.ind.homeoffice.gov.uk/applying/nationality/advice/bn7

Again mentions writing to them how long this takes i don't know. A quick letter with all the details and a written reply should mean you get the correct answer which could save you a few pounds if you need to wait a little longer.

Juana
28th January 2008, 11:25
Just to let y'all know, my application for british citizenship was successful. And it only took 3 weeks. Well done home office!

KeithD
28th January 2008, 11:34
....Well done home office!

I hope they don't read that, they'll want a pay rise :icon_lol:

LadyJ
28th January 2008, 11:35
Well done jmr_1019 !!

Mrs.JMajor
28th January 2008, 11:56
Just to let y'all know, my application for british citizenship was successful. And it only took 3 weeks. Well done home office!

wow nice to hear !! congrats :xxgrinning--00xx3::Hellooo:

mhynne
28th January 2008, 12:43
wow congratulations!