PDA

View Full Version : One Year On ...

Arthur Little
31st December 2011, 13:24
... and the Terpe household remains a 'Smokeless Zone'. Well done, my friend ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
31st December 2011, 15:00
Congratulations Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3: All the more remarkable an achievement considering the stressful year you have had.
It's never too late to give up smoking, even if only 2 in 3 UK smokers claim they want to stop. The benefits begin immediately.
We know that smoking rates have been falling for decades - nearly half smoked in the mid-1970s, now 21 % do. That could be an underestimate, as shown by saliva tests for a nicotine metabolite, but it's still too many. One reason for the decline is the high tax ( three quarters of the price of a packet ). Others are public health campaigns, a smoking ban in workplaces and pubs since 2007, and a change in social attitudes.
In the Philippines over 17 million admit to smoking regularly ( 18% of the population ), with a continuing " uphill battle " - according to the Health Secretary - to persuade them to stop.
Rather than me repeating what everyone now surely knows about the hazards of smoking, Terpe has proved an inspiration by his action. You're not the only one to have given up, Terpe, but well done for your perseverance and having the courage to share your progress reports with forum members :).

Terpe
31st December 2011, 18:15
Thanks Arthur and Alan for those kind words.

You beat me to it gentlemen.
I was waiting for 10:30pm tonight to declare my first year anniversary of being smoke free.

I'm not going to tell people it's easy, but I am going to say that with some willpower it's possible.

I think the key success factor is that giving up is something you really want to do for yourself.

It's no good doing it to save money or to please your partner. That's too easy a target to let slip and become blameless.

So if there are any smokers out there please please do consider giving up the weed.

I promise you'll feel healthier within just a couple of weeks. It will be much more manageable after the first couple of weeks and once the first month has passed you can celebrate with your partner at a really nice restaurant

C'mon, you know it makes sense.
Trips to the Philippines become easier too.

Arthur Little
31st December 2011, 18:48
Thanks Arthur and Alan for those kind words.

You beat me to it gentlemen.
I was waiting for 10:30pm tonight to declare my first year anniversary of being smoke free.

Aww ... :icon_sorry: to've stolen your thunder, mate ...

I'm not going to tell people it's easy, but I am going to say that with some willpower it's possible.

... anyway, you now have your first STAR (albeit a "choccy~coloured" one) - and well-deserved it IS too - not only for your much-to-be-admired abstinence ... but also for the GREAT work you do here ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
31st December 2011, 19:06
... anyway, you now have your first STAR (albeit a "choccy~coloured" one) - and well-deserved it IS too - not only for your much-to-be-admired abstinence ... but also for the GREAT work you do here ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Oh, I just noticed that.

Does that mean I'm now a Sheriff and can shoot-on-sight :D

Sim11UK
31st December 2011, 20:37
Good on you Terpe...nasty habit. I remember your thread well.
Best wishes for 2012. :)

Dedworth
31st December 2011, 21:58
Well done Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3:Your determination saw you through.

It's my 11th anniversary tonight - I kicked the habit for the millenium

Terpe
31st December 2011, 22:16
Good on you Terpe...nasty habit. I remember your thread well.
Best wishes for 2012. :)

Thanks a lot.
Best wishes to the both of you for 2012

Terpe
31st December 2011, 22:23

Thanks Dedworth.
As an ex-smoker you'll know that although not easy it is perfectly achievable.

BTW, I read in the newspaper today that BAT will be launching a completely new e-cig in 2012 that will perfectly replicate smoking normal cigarettes in all respects, but will be totally safe.
It seemed to imply that all regulatory bodies, including medical, were in support.

Looks like it could be good news for many.
I hope that it meets all expectations and eradicates the need for tobacco.

I understand that the new e-cig will be nicotine based. So still highly addictive but not the high toxicity of tobacco.

Of course BAT will not be doing this unless they could make even more money :D

Arthur Little
1st January 2012, 02:58

Eleventh ? Aren't you "selling yourself short" ? :rolleyes: Isn't it your twelfth ? :anerikke: ... I mean ... I'm ASSUMING you gave~up on New Year's Eve 1999 ... if you did so for the millennium. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who adhere to the belief that the millennium didn't officially begin until January 1st 2001. :)

Dedworth
1st January 2012, 13:10
Eleventh ? Aren't you "selling yourself short" ? :rolleyes: Isn't it your twelfth ? :anerikke: ... I mean ... I'm ASSUMING you gave~up on New Year's Eve 1999 ... if you did so for the millennium. Unless, of course, you're one of those people who adhere to the belief that the millennium didn't officially begin until January 1st 2001. :)

Thanks for the correction Arthur it is 12 years free of the weed :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Rosie1958
1st January 2012, 17:32
.............. I was waiting for 10:30pm tonight to declare my first year anniversary of being smoke free.

I think the key success factor is that giving up is something you really want to do for yourself.

It's no good doing it to save money or to please your partner. That's too easy a target to let slip and become blameless.

So if there are any smokers out there please please do consider giving up the weed.

I promise you'll feel healthier within just a couple of weeks. It will be much more manageable after the first couple of weeks and once the first month has passed you can celebrate with your partner at a really nice restaurant

C'mon, you know it makes sense.
Trips to the Philippines become easier too.

Congratulations and very well done Terpe, such an achievement and one to be VERY proud of ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
1st January 2012, 19:13
Congratulations and very well done Terpe, such an achievement and one to be VERY proud of ! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Thanks Rosie.
It's really odd, sometimes I still need to be on my guard :Erm:

joebloggs
1st January 2012, 19:31
:xxgrinning--00xx3: well done peter, i hope you feel healthier, but you should definitely be wealthier :D

Terpe
1st January 2012, 19:35
:xxgrinning--00xx3: well done peter, i hope you feel healthier, but you should definitely be wealthier :D

Thank you joe

Ha ha ha, you can only get wealthier by spending less:D

But seriously, my health has improved very significantly. It seems my immune system has got stronger during 2011. Long my it continue. I need all the help I can get these days. :olddude:

Rosie1958
1st January 2012, 19:40
Funny that you should say that Terpe, my partner gave up smoking 6 months ago and he hasn't had a cigarette since but he says he still wants one. He found it particularly hard being out last night (New Years Eve) until a smoker walked past absolutely reeking of stale cigarettes :repuke: and that instantly stopped his desire :xxgrinning--00xx3: