PDA

View Full Version : The Street Children of Manila

Rosie1958
26th December 2011, 16:43
Although we are not regular church goers, my partner and I attended our local village church Holy Communion service with his 11 year old son on Christmas Eve. On reading the service sheet , I was very surprised and then also very touched to learn that all Christmas collections this year are being donated by the village church to help fund many homeless street children in Manila. I therefore promptly completely emptied my purse and also signed a gift aid form in the hope that I could at least help a little.

Having been to Manila four times, I have seen many of these poor children roaming the streets, scavenging and weaving in and out of traffic with bare feet after midnight trying to sell flowers to passing motorists. It’s heartbreaking to see them.

I was therefore very interested to read a display in our church about the work of two local people who are described as CMS Mission Partners (I believe this is what was previously known as missionaries) who live a few miles from me and are backwards and forwards from Manila and I have left a message asking them to contact me. They have been serving with Jigsaw Ministries in Philippines for the past 8 years. What started as playing with a few children from the local slum area has grown to become an organisation working with over 1000 children a week in four deprived areas of Manila.

Jigsaw has a vision of working together with other organisations to provide the needs of those “at risk” including many unloved children. It provides day centres in slum communities where children can meet regularly to play, eat, study, worship and learn about God’s word and above all, be loved and accepted. Today there are 26 staff employed and trained by Jigsaw, all of whom come from and live in the slum areas in which Jigsaw works. The British mission partners have returned to the UK as Jigsaw needed space to grow and be accepted in the communities as a Filipino organisation but the partners still direct via Skype, email and regular visits.

Jigsaw is currently looking for the help of 100 people who are able to donate £50 a month to their cause to help these lovely children who through no fault of their own have been born into a life of poverty. If you are able to help, just want to make a donation or get involved, Jigsaw can be contacted by email at office@jigsawkidsministries.org They also have a website that is currently being redeveloped at www.jigsawkidsministries.org

Some have mentioned in other threads on this website that the true meaning of Christmas has been lost. Perhaps thinking of and helping others less fortunate than ourselves through an organisation such as the above could help to re-establish the meaning of good will to all men (and children).

Please don’t forget the children and consider helping where you can. For those that are thinking charity begins at home ........ where is home anyway, at least we have one ...............!

I wish you and your family a Very Happy and Peaceful New Year.

Rosie :)

Englishman2010
26th December 2011, 17:36
Thanks for making us aware of this Rosie, and for reminding us all how fortunate we are, especially at this time of year. Have a great New Year too:)

jimcarie
26th December 2011, 19:26
thanx for the link rosie,

even if only giving a little, its a great help for organisations like this,

i wish you and your family a happy and peaceful new year

all the best

Terpe
26th December 2011, 20:32
Thank you Rosie for taking the time to post that.
I feel humbled that you were touched enough to take positive action. (sorry if that sounds OTT it's not meant to)

My long time and very dear friend Fr.Jim is currently assigned to Lapu Lapu City, Cebu and is also missionary.
These people do not have any salary, nor do they own anything. Their only dedication is to help those unable to help themselves.

So many kids have no experience of childhood at all. Their whole childhood is spent either surviving and supporting their families or just staying alive under the evil clutches of criminal gangs.

I hope the message you conveyed will be actively supported by our fellow forumers and readers. It only needs a couple of quid from all of us to make such a difference.

Great post Rosie. Well done!

Rosie1958
26th December 2011, 23:52
Thanks Ian, Jimcarie and Terpe for reading this thread and taking the time to reply.

........... My long time and very dear friend Fr.Jim is currently assigned to Lapu Lapu City, Cebu and is also missionary. These people do not have any salary, nor do they own anything. Their only dedication is to help those unable to help themselves.

So many kids have no experience of childhood at all. Their whole childhood is spent either surviving and supporting their families or just staying alive under the evil clutches of criminal gangs.

I hope the message you conveyed will be actively supported by our fellow forumers and readers. It only needs a couple of quid from all of us to make such a difference.

Great post Rosie. Well done!

Terpe ......... I always have so much respect and admiration for selfless people such as your Fr Jim. The world would certainly be a much poorer place without wonderfully kind and caring people such as this :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Doc Alan
28th December 2011, 21:24
This was a thoughtful and touching post Rosie, I'm sorry to say I have been too busy with Christmas festivities here to read and respond to it until now. It does indeed remind us how much more fortunate we are. I've always admired what you have done for your brother. Anyone who has been to Manila ( and elsewhere in the Philippines ) must also feel your heartfelt compassion for these children. Best wishes for the New Year !

Rosie1958
29th December 2011, 00:50
Thank you so much for your very kind words Doc Alan, they are very much appreciated. Happy New Year to you and your family :xxparty-smiley-050::)