PDA

View Full Version : Common cold !

Doc Alan
24th December 2011, 12:27
Unlike flu ( http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/33906-Flu-jablike ) the common cold is usually not serious, although an adult can expect 2-3 / year ( at least 15,000 for all members :yikes:), and children about 5 / year. We should already know the symptoms of both.
As there are well over 200 different viruses which can cause it, there's no vaccine, no prevention, and no cure - antibiotics don't work. A " universal " 'flu vaccine - one which destroys the virus no matter what type - is possible in the next few years, but for colds there's no such hope.
Of course - as one member has pointed out - it's a " sad Xmas " if you have a cold now, but far worse can happen - think of the ongoing disaster in Mindanao...
Colds spread by close proximity to others - either tiny " droplets " or direct / indirect contact ( touching people or objects ) - hard to avoid this time of year. Try to keep hands clean + use disposable paper towels / tissues.
There's no reason to see a doctor with the vast majority of colds. By now you should also have had a 'flu jab if indicated.
Drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids. Rest if possible until you feel better. Eat healthily, then there is no need for vitamin / zinc supplements ( use as general " pick-me-ups is of unproven value ). Avoid active and passive smoking.
Steam inhalations ( a bowl of hot water or taking a warm bath ), gargling with salt water, decongestants and vapour rubs may help. " Over The Counter " ( OTC ) medicines can be very expensive because they're often combinations of remedies. Best to buy individual painkillers like paracetamol, or ibuprofen ( not if pregnant, or if you have a stomach ulcer ).
Try to lower your chances of getting a cold by a positive attitude, avoiding stress, and counting your blessings - others may well be worse off than you - Merry Christmas :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
24th December 2011, 14:59
Useful advice, as always - Thanks Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
24th December 2011, 18:15
Like most people I do get a 'cold' now and then, but thankfully not too often. I generally don't take any medication at all, just stick-it-out.

I've had real flu only twice in my life, and anyone who has had flu will really know the difference is 'light-years' apart.
Both times I had flu I could not get out of bed for a week, and was really ill for a couple of weeks. My wife had flu once here in UK (same time as me) and always says that was her first time and she has never ever felt so ill before.

Makes me laugh when people say they had flu for a few days. :doh

Hope everyone stays healthy for the festive hols. :Jump::Jump:

imagine
24th December 2011, 18:35
thanks for the advise doc and a merry christmas to you,

iv had my flue jab :icon_lol:

Doc Alan
6th January 2012, 20:30
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/8995184/Walking-keeps-colds-at-bay-but-marathons-can-cause-the-flu-say-scientists.html
Most of us - if we're honest - probably don't get enough exercise. This research shows moderate exercise lowers your chance of getting a cold. Normally I probably take too much exercise - now I have a cold, and am having to take my own advice !