PDA

View Full Version : Program featuring Philippines

lordna
15th December 2011, 11:59
CBBC - Show me what your made of at 6.15pm tonight. Its been on all this week featuring UK kids experiencing working life/living in Asia. Yresterday was in Cebu - making Jewelry and tonight is in Manilla apparently. Only half an hour but interesting watching how the UK kids react.

lastlid
15th December 2011, 12:45
CBBC...is that a SKY channel? or Freeview?

grahamw48
15th December 2011, 12:46
Thanks...will have a look.

Always interesting to see what spin is put on these programmes. :)

Arthur Little
15th December 2011, 13:10
CBBC - Show me what your made of at 6.15pm tonight. Its been on all this week featuring UK kids experiencing working life/living in Asia. Yresterday was in Cebu - making Jewelry and tonight is in Manilla apparently. Only half an hour but interesting watching how the UK kids react.

:68711_thanx: ... I must keep that in mind! :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Arthur Little
15th December 2011, 13:17
CBBC...is that a SKY channel? or Freeview?

Freeview ... only know that :yeahthat: because - although WE'RE not tuned to 'Sky' - we do, for some reason, have access to CBBC.

lastlid
15th December 2011, 13:56
Freeview ... only know that :yeahthat: because - although WE'RE not tuned to 'Sky' - we do, for some reason, have access to CBBC.

Okay. Good. Thanks.

joebloggs
15th December 2011, 14:16
:xxgrinning--00xx3: thanks Lordna

lordna
15th December 2011, 18:35
you can catch the previous programs on the BBC iplayer.

grahamw48
15th December 2011, 21:01
Well, the programme gave those lazy badly-behaved British kids something to think about. :rolleyes:

joebloggs
15th December 2011, 21:05
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018j5jz/Show_Me_What_Youre_Made_Of_Jewellery/

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Tawi2
15th December 2011, 21:22
Kids should be enjoying a carefree time,happy and full of good times,I always feel guilt in Pinas when you see kids selling or working hard,makes you appreciate what you have,I once watched some kids making carpets in Kashmir,beavering away like full grown adults,pulls at the heart strings :NoNo:

Dedworth
15th December 2011, 21:26
http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b018j5jz/Show_Me_What_Youre_Made_Of_Jewellery/

:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Looks like a junior clone of that programme they showed last year about ghastly, idle, pampered 20 somethings who were shipped off to Asia to work in paddy fields, prawn farms, chicken factories etc for subsistence wages.

grahamw48
15th December 2011, 23:00
I like the way the British kid was paid her supposed wage for about an hours work in the electronics factory.....p700.

Dream on. :NoNo:

Dedworth
15th December 2011, 23:41
I like the way the British kid was paid her supposed wage for about an hours work in the electronics factory.....p700.

Dream on. :NoNo:

Watched some of it - like the idlers I mentioned in #12 some these kids come over as workshy, lazy, clueless, spoilt brats with an appalling attitude

Tawi2
15th December 2011, 23:56
I saw a kid a long time ago in Pinas selling ice-bags,I bought a couple,didnt need them but it gave me an excuse to have a chat with him,he was selling ice to help his mum,very humbling for me,Alan Sugar should head east to look for the next young apprentice.

Dedworth
16th December 2011, 00:09
I saw a kid a long time ago in Pinas selling ice-bags,I bought a couple,didnt need them but it gave me an excuse to have a chat with him,he was selling ice to help his mum,very humbling for me,Alan Sugar should head east to look for the next young apprentice.

On the programme a young girl in the village (speaking pretty good English) said she made jewellery to help her Mum and pay for her education - the only things at school that would interest some of the English kids is flashing their latest i phone about and bad mouthing the teachers

Tawi2
16th December 2011, 00:19
Poverty and an empty stomach focus your mind,I remember bunking school and picking potato's on a farm for £2.50 a day,I gave the cash straight to my mum when I got home,I always look at the guys selling papers,chewing-gum,ciggarettes etc at the roadsides in pinas and empathise with them,life is hard at ground level,we have security and a soft cushion to fall on here,the poor and downtrodden in Pinas still wake with a survival mindset no matter how tough the day ahead.

imagine
16th December 2011, 00:54
i just finished viewing , brilliant i must see the others :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
16th December 2011, 08:36
Watched it. My wife watched it with avid interest. Thanks.

Watched it on the internet on BBC iPlayer, both the one on the jewelry making in Cebu and the one on the electronics factory and Bing in Manila.

PS. I dont think it is possible to use BBC iPlayer outside the UK......

malditako
16th December 2011, 10:31
again...not so good side of the phils..as usual...can't they just feature the other good side of phils next time?...

lastlid
16th December 2011, 11:10
again...not so good side of the phils..as usual...can't they just feature the other good side of phils next time?...

Perhaps a bit of a generalisation, but I thought it effectively illustrated the disparity between kids in the UK and kids in Phils for those that wouldn't otherwise be aware and for the UK kids that participated.

grahamw48
16th December 2011, 11:36
I agree, and a good thing too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

That is supposed to be the theme of all the programmes.

Obviously they'd have had severe limitations on time, so couldn't film every aspect of Phils life.

They take the kids to several different Asian countries during the series.

lastlid
16th December 2011, 11:40
Yep. The program wasn't perfect but in terms of seeing how life commonly can be in Phils, a great experience for the UK kids participating.

andy222
16th December 2011, 21:36
Kids dont know how lucky they are here. My heart goes out to some of those families. In the subdivision where my wife lives the people are so nice and welcoming. Totally different from here. They have not got a lot but they know how to treat people. Im not saying its like that all over the phils but I have had no bad experiences.

imagine
16th December 2011, 21:42
but which kids are happier

andy222
16th December 2011, 21:58
Well the phil kids LOOK happier.

lastlid
18th December 2011, 11:07
There was a third....silk manufacture in Negros....

JonasDein
19th February 2012, 19:48
Hello to all - My name is Jonas and I was a participant on this show.

I just wish to stress to you all, philippino or otherwise, that I returned from this experience with a view like no other I had taken before ... I understand, aswell, why the comments 'spoilt and bratty' are being thrown around.

Yes, the programme may take a one-sided view of the philippines and not show every aspect... but it is a 30 minute x 5 show on poverty, not flowers in cebu!

I have am willing and able for any questions you have to ask me - regardless of the nature of them.

For those that could not watch - These are the links:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcYlnbywXM
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umSBzZaMKn8&feature=related
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FohBjUJGYKw&feature=related

Thank you - Jonas

raynaputi
19th February 2012, 22:28
Hello to all - My name is Jonas and I was a participant on this show.

I just wish to stress to you all, philippino or otherwise, that I returned from this experience with a view like no other I had taken before ... I understand, aswell, why the comments 'spoilt and bratty' are being thrown around.

Yes, the programme may take a one-sided view of the philippines and not show every aspect... but it is a 30 minute x 5 show on poverty, not flowers in cebu!

I have am willing and able for any questions you have to ask me - regardless of the nature of them.

For those that could not watch - These are the links:

Part 1:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EcYlnbywXM
Part 2:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umSBzZaMKn8&feature=related
Part 3:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FohBjUJGYKw&feature=related

Thank you - Jonas

Welcome here in the forum Jonas :Hellooo:

I hope you learned a lot from the experience and have realized how lucky you kids are here in the UK :xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
19th February 2012, 23:35
Jonas. The series was very enlightening. I watched all 3 when they were on tv. My wife is from the Philippines and she also found them interesting, particularly the responses from yourselves.

It was of course a CBBC program but for me it was still enlightening. I try to watch any material like that when it crops up. For example there is the program "Toughest Place to be a Bus Driver" trip that the London bus driver, John West, made not so long ago, still watchable on BBC iplayer at the moment. It all helps me to understand more about the Philippines.

One of things I have noticed, over a period of time, is that there appears to be different tiers or levels of poverty in the Philippines and of course what we class as poor in the UK can perceived as almost positively wealthy by Philippine standards. Your program, amongst other sources of information, have helped me piece it all together in my my mind.

lastlid
19th February 2012, 23:46
Its great that you have taken the trouble to visit the forum. I can tell you that when I visited the Philippines last year it was a massive eye opener for me too. Tell us a bit more Jonas. How long did you spend in each location? Did you get much holiday time in between? How did you come to take part in the program? Presumably the BBC paid for your expenses etc? When did you make the trip, a couple of years ago now? Any thoughts in hindsight about the whole experience?