PDA

View Full Version : Avoiding cancer

Doc Alan
8th December 2011, 12:41
Cancer is second only to heart and circulatory disease in UK and Philippines - 2/5 of us will get it, but over 2/5 are due to lifestyle. It's hard to avoid the publicity from the latest study ( http://www.nature.com/bjc/journal/v105/n2s/index.html ) but debatable how much impact it will have :doh
The study is an up to date estimate of new UK cancers which are due to avoidable factors.
Half of all cancer deaths are thought to be avoidable in UK. Our common cancers are breast, lung, large bowel, prostate, uterus and bladder - in Philippines breast, lung, liver, large bowel, prostate, and cervix.
Predictably, smoking is still the biggest avoidable cause. But lack of fresh fruit and vegetables ( especially for men ), obesity ( especially for women ), too much dietary salt and alcohol, all contribute. There are now vaccines which lower the chances of certain cancers ( hepatitis B is the main cause of liver cancer in Philippines ; human papilloma virus is the main cause of cervical cancer ). Screening is well developed in UK for several cancers ( breast, large bowel, cervix ) - after prevention , early diagnosis is best. Sadly, all too commonly filipino cancer patients still seek help only when cancer is advanced.
Inevitably some of the 600 comments on the BBC News Health section are negative - " You've got to die of something " / " Cancer affects older people, more than half can't be avoided ".
We all have the power to reduce our risk of cancer by leading healthier lives. With some knowledge, common sense,
moderation, and good luck, it can be achieved for many more of us :xxgrinning--00xx3:.

mickcant
8th December 2011, 13:10
Thanks Doc:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Men living alone are thought to be bad at eating healthily
I use the packets of frozen mixed vegetables that are “steamed” in the microwave for 2 ½ minuets
Might not be as good as fresh vegetables, but it is vegetables.

I have had prostrate problems for some years around 20 and now take “Tamsulosin Hydrochloride”
I have asked my Dr if it needs further checking but she did not say anything more was needed.
Mick.:)

grahamw48
8th December 2011, 13:16
It is very depressing reading all this stuff when you've failed to totally stop smoking after trying for many years.
Not only do you end up dying of cancer, but your life is made a misery by the guilt and the constant nagging. :cwm3:

I am down to less than 10 a day.

I wish I wanted to stop ENOUGH.

The govt. should make tobacco products illegal.

I am virtually teetotal and have been for many years now, and I'm normal weight for height.

Personally I wish the hospitals weren't having to waste so much money and resources on drunken morons and obese mountains of greed-fuelled flab. :rolleyes:

gWaPito
8th December 2011, 19:14
Nice one Graham.

I won't add because for some its a very emotive subject.

Apart from this.....my family is enough for me to live eat and sleep cleanly. They are all the encouragement I need.

Btw My father was an 80 a day man up until 50yo....hypnosis was the only way he could quit.

He had one session..that was it. no more ciggys. He lived a further 28 years :)

It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits. I got 5 other siblings, none of them took it up either.

I remember those trips to Weymouth...3 hours in those days...dad would be smoking all the way...windows always up...happy coughing days!

imagine
8th December 2011, 20:17
good subject doc, its one that we all should take note of, as you will know from my earlier threads i have had cancer and was very ill from the cheemo treatment almost having died 4 times, but im lucky i pulled through even after not being well enough to have had and survived the last 2 treatments, mine was testicular cancer semenoma ( excuse my spelling) so guys feel your balls often if your lady doesnt do it for you :icon_lol: i was a heavy smoker, though im not saying the smoking caused it, but certainly smoking would hinder your bodys natural defence,in which case i may not had got the cancer had i not smoked, on going into hospital for my 1st treatment i smoked my last cigerette at the entrance of the hospital as i went in,that was jan 2010, june this year i went through a lot of stress and started to smoke again, for a 3 month period, this time harder to give up, remembering i had read on here the stop smoking thread , about the electronic cigerette, which iv been using since october, it is very good i highly recomend it, as a safer alternative and or a device aid to give up, i am working my way down to a zero nicotine refill,, i must say i much prefer this than a tabacco cigerette, i wont go back, maybe it could help you graham,,,,, its cheaper too lol

grahamw48
8th December 2011, 20:39
Nice one Graham.

I won't add because for some its a very emotive subject.

Apart from this.....my family is enough for me to live eat and sleep cleanly. They are all the encouragement I need.

Btw My father was an 80 a day man up until 50yo....hypnosis was the only way he could quit.

He had one session..that was it. no more ciggys. He lived a further 28 years :)

It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits. I got 5 other siblings, none of them took it up either.

I remember those trips to Weymouth...3 hours in those days...dad would be smoking all the way...windows always up...happy coughing days!

I never smoke in the house, and have never smoked in the presence of my boy....throughout his life. :)

grahamw48
8th December 2011, 20:44
Actually imagine, thanks for the info'.

I will look into that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

My need for nicotene IS considerably reduced these days anyway, to the point where I just take a couple of puffs and then extinguish the thing. :rolleyes:

I'm very close to being able to do without....even without substitutes. :)

Well done on pulling through what must have been awful times for you my friend.

Englishman2010
8th December 2011, 21:20
I never smoke in the house, and have never smoked in the presence of my boy....throughout his life. :)

Likewise:xxgrinning--00xx3: My kids have never seen me smoke. I never smoke in my house or cars, I hate the stale smell it leaves. I'll keep on smoking in my back garden until health and safety ban it:rolleyes:

imagine
8th December 2011, 21:33
there are different makes, the one i got is much cheaper on postage so overall cost is cheaper, it gives the the kick that a normal cig does, it doesnt smell and it doesnt burn,and legal in public
just let me know if you want more detail, im not sure if its ok to mention brand on here

( bl00by heck the house keeps shaking in the wind gusts im poohing myself here anyone got a diper lol,) :laugher: wonder if better to sleep under the bed tonight instead of on top lol,,,

gWaPito
8th December 2011, 21:42
Likewise:xxgrinning--00xx3: My kids have never seen me smoke. I never smoke in my house or cars, I hate the stale smell it leaves. I'll keep on smoking in my back garden until health and safety ban it:rolleyes:

I wish the powers that be, would hurry up :xxgrinning--00xx3:

There's talk of it being banned in private motor vehicles as well. They got proof there's a link...there's a surprise :NoNo:

Shame it wasn't introduced in my childhood..i bet I would of had less chest infections.

Dedworth
8th December 2011, 21:42
Anyone giving up the evil weed on 1st Jan ? Terpe's determination has paid off and his first full year will be up then - I think insurance companies will then class him as an ex-smoker. Well done Terpe :appl:

gWaPito
8th December 2011, 21:45
Anyone giving up the evil weed on 1st Jan ? Terpe's determination has paid off and his first full year will be up then - I think insurance companies will then class him as an ex-smoker. Well done Terpe :appl:

I 2nd that. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Englishman2010
8th December 2011, 21:58
Well done Terpe:xxgrinning--00xx3: I wish I had your desire and will power

imagine
8th December 2011, 22:21
yes well done Terpe :xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:

lastlid
9th December 2011, 11:23
My ex wife was an avid smoker. Both of our children had asthma - I am certain as a consequence. My daughter's asthma was quite severe at times. It took years before my ex wife realised she ought to smoke away from the children and everyone else. It even got to me at times..."passive smoking" and all that.

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 11:29
Well done Terpe:xxgrinning--00xx3: I wish I had your desire and will power

Yes indeed.
Well done Terpe. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I'll have another crack at stopping come New Year.

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 11:30
My ex wife was an avid smoker. Both of our children had asthma - I am certain as a consequence. My daughter's asthma was quite severe at times. It took years before my ex wife realised she ought to smoke away from the children and everyone else. It even got to me at times..."passive smoking" and all that.

I've no doubt you're right about that.

lastlid
9th December 2011, 12:02
Its quite ironic that I helped perpetuate her habit as I always bought her cartons of 200 duty free when I was on my travels to help keep the costs down but I think I just helped to fuel her habit......

I think she has cut right down now since the divorce as she only gets the money I send her monthly and no more than that.

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 12:35
Fortunately my ex had the good sense to marry someone with more money than me (although MUCH uglier and without my scintillating personality :D).

I'm still waiting for signs of contributions towards our son's upkeep of course....I know it's only been 4 years he's lived with me. :rolleyes:

Dedworth
9th December 2011, 12:36
Here's an interesting piece about smoking in New York - £7 - £9.60 per pack , obviously pricing them out works as only 14% smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15954278

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 12:40
Cost has become the main issue for me, that is for sure.
I buy one pack every three days now.

Still haven't figured out how to make cheap roll-ups after forty years, but can't be arsed anyway. :NoNo:

lastlid
9th December 2011, 14:05
I'm still waiting for signs of contributions towards our son's upkeep of course....I know it's only been 4 years he's lived with me. :rolleyes:

Oh, doesnt the CSA system work in favour of the male if he has custody of the child?

gWaPito
9th December 2011, 16:14
They have an hard enough job tracking down In there own country..let alone in another

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 16:18
True, and of course I can support myself and my child anyway, without any begging or outside interference. :)

@ lastlid:

Yes, single parent men are just as entitled to ask for a contribution from their estranged partner....equality and all that rubbish. :rolleyes:

gWaPito
9th December 2011, 16:21
Here's an interesting piece about smoking in New York - £7 - £9.60 per pack , obviously pricing them out works as only 14% smoke

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-15954278
I can't see that working here...if they are willing to spend there benefits down the pub which should be spent on the kids...the additional fag cost will come from the same budget.

Suffer the poor children.

Oops....im mixing two subjects here :doh

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 16:24
Benefits on top of their cash in hand job.....in many cases. ;)

Doc Alan
9th December 2011, 17:41
My son ( 22 ) has never smoked in front of me :NoNo:.
Some interesting responses here, thank you :). Although mostly about smoking, I note that one member ( RickyR ) has lost 7 kg of weight out of his target of 20 kg recently :xxgrinning--00xx3:
Most of you know I'm not a GP, my skills ( such as they are ) being in diagnosis and teaching about illnesses, rather than prevention. Actually influencing people - even family and friends - to improve their health is a challenge ! On the one hand it's worthwhile summarising - to the best of my ability - the lengthy recent articles in British Journal of Cancer. On the other hand, too much information turns people off !
The problem of unhealthy lifestyle is not only costly to the individual but also to the health service, however funded. The consensus response to these articles does seem to be that not enough is being done by the UK government to promote healthy behaviour - " legislative solutions " are talked about, and the government " said it was intending to begin a consultation on plain packaging " ( of cigarettes ) by the end of the year.
It would be interesting to have the Philippines perspective on this. Screening and prevention, including vaccination for hepatitis B and human papilloma virus, don't come cheap.

Dedworth
9th December 2011, 17:59
Interewsting what you say Doc about UK Govt dragging its feet. I think they should go the whole way immediately and introduce Aussie style shock packs like this

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/09/17/2632585/ipad-art-wide-pg21-smoking-420x0.jpg

imagine
9th December 2011, 20:18
Interewsting what you say Doc about UK Govt dragging its feet. I think they should go the whole way immediately and introduce Aussie style shock packs like this

http://images.smh.com.au/2011/09/17/2632585/ipad-art-wide-pg21-smoking-420x0.jpg

the photo reminds me of the cancer ward iv been in though not all there would represent this image, but what you see would make you stop and think, for me what i saw showed me how lucky i was

imagine
9th December 2011, 20:22
as far as cigerettes are concernd they should be barred immediately, im sure the gov will find the tax elswhere , and if the case is true that the cost to nhs is greater than the revenue from tobacco , then whats the problem with a total ban

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 20:40
I think most smokers would probably thank them for it.

My friend and Best Man at my wedding (married to the cousin of the ex) looked very similar to the man pictured above, if not worse, before he passed away last year aged 69, from Pancreatic Cancer.

He'd always been a heavy smoker, and smoked up to the end. Nothing to lose then I suppose.

It was very moving to see the two young sons he so adored reading out their eulogies at the funeral.

joebloggs
9th December 2011, 20:45
I've been veggy/vegan for nearly 30yrs, in that time i've not eaten fish, meat or eggs, the only animal products i eat is milk, cheese or yogurt, thou my diet is pretty poor, mainly junk snacks :NoNo:

there is a DVD that's just come out in the shops (and on certain sites :rolleyes:) called 'forks over knives' i've not watched all of it yet, what do you think of these trailers Doc Alan ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oXo_Pi3s7oE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5M2PxyDdyI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wjPj456UDQ

imagine
9th December 2011, 21:05
interesting vids, im sure its very true, but how can most familys manage to find time or afford to eat correctly, parents are so busy these days both working ect, perhaps more pressure should be put onto big supermarket chains, to contribute to change, and more education on health and diet,
we all grow up thinking we will do it tomorrow, it wont happen to me, and the result is so far off in the future why bother now,

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 21:18
I could quite easily become a veggie...wouldn't miss meat and fish at all. :)

joebloggs
9th December 2011, 21:27
I could quite easily become a veggie...wouldn't miss meat and fish at all. :)

not in the phils you couldn't :NoNo: i could never find any veggy food in the shops, even in restaurants they would look at me if i was :Cuckoo: if i asked if they had any veggy food on the menu :laugher:

imagine
9th December 2011, 21:29
i love chicken, good beef tasty pork craclin, and nice fish, surely omega is good ,oh i would miss them

i hardly eat veg or fruit and i know i should , even if its tinned and not fresh would be better than none

les_taxi
9th December 2011, 22:10
Veggies are nuts:icon_lol:
Big Xmas party tmrw with full xmas menue and tons of alcohol bring it on:Jump:

gWaPito
9th December 2011, 22:27
not in the phils you couldn't :NoNo: i could never find any veggy food in the shops, even in restaurants they would look at me if i was :Cuckoo: if i asked if they had any veggy food on the menu :laugher:

I think you'll find the majority of the Philippine population cannot afford the luxury of being choosy....eat whats put in front of you or starve.

Having said that...there's many an overweight person suffering the symptoms of malnutrition. Junk foods contain empty worthless calories, devoid of anything the body needs. :NoNo:

branno
9th December 2011, 22:30
and the europa league :icon_lol::icon_lol:

sorry les ..just had too :icon_lol:

grahamw48
9th December 2011, 22:34
Isn't that for amateur sides ? :Erm:

branno
9th December 2011, 22:36
as from now on yeahhh :icon_lol:

les_taxi
9th December 2011, 22:37
:cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::cwm23::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored::censored:
Not listening got fingers in ears:D

Dedworth
9th December 2011, 22:44
Veggies are nuts:icon_lol:
Big Xmas party tmrw with full xmas menue and tons of alcohol bring it on:Jump:

Moderate intake of pop please Les - you've had a rough week and no doubt been drowning your sorrows since 9.45ish on Wednesday :D

Doc Alan
9th December 2011, 22:55
I've been veggy/vegan for nearly 30yrs, in that time i've not eaten fish, meat or eggs, the only animal products i eat is milk, cheese or yogurt, thou my diet is pretty poor, mainly junk snacks :NoNo:

there is a DVD that's just come out in the shops (and on certain sites :rolleyes:) called 'forks over knives' i've not watched all of it yet, what do you think of these trailers Doc Alan ?

Interesting, joebloggs, but I think vegetarians ( who don't consume meat, poultry, fish or seafood ) and vegans ( an even stricter sub-category who don't consume any animal products or by-products, in some cases not even honey / yeast ) will always form a minority in any population, for various reasons including choice and cost. They are probably less than 10 % of the UK population.
Certainly adoption of a " Western lifestyle " is responsible for a similar pattern of diseases - heart / circulatory / cancer - in both our countries ( http://mariaespievidal.com/obesity-a-serious-problem-overlooked-by-filipinos/ ).
The recent British Journal of Cancer study estimates for men about 6% of cancers are linked to lack of fruit and vegetables, 4% to obesity; for women 3% to lack of fruit and vegetables, and 7% to obesity ( because of the effect on breast cancer ).
As always, however, the effects of lifestyle on our health is complicated and involves an element of luck ! Cancers are caused by multiple factors acting at the same time, and that's why even this comprehensive study could find less than half of all cancers were due to avoidable life choices.

les_taxi
9th December 2011, 23:03
I just think within moderation eat and do what you wish-can't say i'm that bothered bout living to 100 and wearing a nappy
Go out there have some fun,you might get knocked down by a bus next week while munching on your pumpkin seeds:xxgrinning--00xx3:

gWaPito
9th December 2011, 23:20
I just think within moderation eat and do what you wish-can't say i'm that bothered bout living to 100 and wearing a nappy
Go out there have some fun,you might get knocked down by a bus next week while munching on your pumpkin seeds:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I found eating pumpkin seeds alone gave me heart burn....for me, best consumed added to wheat biscuits, bananas and rasins with lashing of full fat mik. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

Apparently, full fat milk is good for the production of semen. :D

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 00:21
I want to live forever....with or without nappy. :)

Can't imagine how grumpy I would be though. :olddude:

les_taxi
10th December 2011, 04:20
I want to live forever....with or without nappy. :)

Can't imagine how grumpy I would be though. :olddude:
You just want a fit nurse to change your nappy:D

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 11:28
Yeah....just hope I don't lose my eyesight. :hubbahubba:

joebloggs
10th December 2011, 12:39
Yeah....just hope I don't lose my eyesight. :hubbahubba:

that depends on what the nurse looks like :cwm24:

http://i270.photobucket.com/albums/jj104/ladyk8e8/8841314_96aee0b69d.jpg

grahamw48
10th December 2011, 12:54
Oh pleeeeeese Joe !

Nearly gave me a bloody heart attack there. :yikes:

Doc Alan
11th December 2011, 12:01
How sad that a thread on avoiding such a serious and common condition as cancer can so easily be hijacked by posts best suited to the Humour section :doh
The chances of being knocked over by a bus ( or taxi ), being struck by lightning, or winning the lottery are FAR less than those of getting cancer. A high fat diet is more likely to cause impotence from narrowed arteries than improve semen quality. The point of my thread - which, like others in this section - took a lot longer than a one-liner to prepare - is that the odds of getting cancer can be significantly reduced by health measures which improve the quality and enjoyment of life, without the need for straitjacket or nappy. Cancer rarely kills overnight, it tends to cause prolonged pain and suffering. It's no laughing matter to those - or their loved ones - who get it. It's also highly relevant to both countries with which our forum is concerned.
We all know about the risks of smoking. Perhaps fewer of us knew about other avoidable factors, or even preventive vaccines, like those for liver cancer in the Philippines and cervical cancer in both countries.

Tawi2
11th December 2011, 13:24
It was probably his excessive smoking and drinking what made me hate both habits.
I will partially endorse this,its peoples right within reason to do as they wish,but my dad is the same,havent seen him for years but I do remember he drank like a fish and smoked like a chimney during my childhood,it warned me off,we are here for an eye-blink,no time at all,live as healthily as you can given your lifestyle,a lot of people havent had the bonus of waking up today,always try and increase your odds of seeing a tomorrow:)its the people who you leave behind who really suffer so do it for them :)Good health to everyone for the future :xxgrinning--00xx3: