PDA

View Full Version : Regions and territories: Isle of Man

Win2Win
7th December 2011, 16:20
An overview of the Isle of Man including key facts, political leaders and notes on the media

Content from... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/world/europe/country_profiles/7515569.stm)

lastlid
7th December 2011, 16:35
Yep, thats about it. Bit confusing with the Crown Dependency thing, being part of Britain but not part of the UK.......

Dedworth
7th December 2011, 16:42
Yep, thats about it. Bit confusing with the Crown Dependency thing, being part of Britain but not part of the UK.......

Out of date info - the Tesco Express isn't mentioned :D

lastlid
7th December 2011, 16:48
Out of date info - the Tesco Express isn't mentioned

Heh, its big news around here......:D

http://www.three.fm/news/isle-of-man-news/tesco-express-store-to-open-in-castletown-4432/

I was at a game last year Man U v Sunderland and an amazing thought crossed my mind, that there were more people at the game than live on the IOM.

60000 on the island. (2000 are filipinos BTW).

Dedworth
7th December 2011, 17:08
Would be interested to see how the prices stack up against the Mainland Tescos - is the IoM like Jersey no VAT ? I suspect prices might be affected by the monopolistic ferry operators who no doubt like the I of Wight & Channel Islands are the most expensive fery rides in the world (back to rip off Britain again)

RickyR
7th December 2011, 17:17
Interesting that you say 2000 Filipino on the island, is there a particular reason for so many?

lastlid
7th December 2011, 17:30
As far as I can make out there are 2 things......

1] There is a large care home sector here and many work in that sector.

2] My impression (and it is only an impression) is that the Isle of Man people as a whole are happy to have Filipinos on the island for their qualities. I am certain that there are nowhere near as many from other countries in South East Asia and there are few from other parts of Asia. It can be like walking down a street in Manila sometimes, where the main shops are.............just a few degrees cooler thats all.

lastlid
7th December 2011, 17:32
Would be interested to see how the prices stack up against the Mainland Tescos - is the IoM like Jersey no VAT ? I suspect prices might be affected by the monopolistic ferry operators who no doubt like the I of Wight & Channel Islands are the most expensive fery rides in the world (back to rip off Britain again)

You are correct. Its a lot to do with the ferry company, so I gather. They have us by the short and you know whats.

RickyR
7th December 2011, 17:41
You are correct. Its a lot to do with the ferry company, so I gather. They have us by the short and you know whats.

Similar kind of situation in the Channel Islands. They offer 28 quid day returns from the mainland, but vice versa is anything from 200 quid upwards....

Dedworth
7th December 2011, 18:20
Similar kind of situation in the Channel Islands. They offer 28 quid day returns from the mainland, but vice versa is anything from 200 quid upwards....

I think £ per mile the Isle of Wight Red Funnel takes the Blue Riband :angry:

lastlid
8th December 2011, 12:34

Yes. We have VAT here. Same as UK.
I havent done a price comparison with the mainland Tescos but I always found Tescos to be higher on the mainland than say for example Asda. Here on the island they tend to be cheaper than the alternatives as there is no Lidl or Asda.
I am not sure if Tesco absorb the ferry charges here....

lastlid
27th January 2012, 16:46
Interesting that you say 2000 Filipino on the island, is there a particular reason for so many?

I took the oppurtunity of enquiring with Immigrtion here on the large numbers of Filipinos on the island and it was said that generally speaking Filipinos are regarded as good immigrants.

lastlid
3rd February 2012, 10:32
National Insurance Number

I took my wife to Markwell House in Douglas to obtain a National Insurance number. She had to provide her passport, marriage certificate and proof of address and complete a 3 page form. The officer was helpful, however the outcome was that my wife, once she gets a job, has to then contact the department again when they will release a national insurance number.

Terpe
3rd February 2012, 10:36
National Insurance Number

I took my wife to Markwell House in Douglas to obtain a National Insurance number. She had to provide her passport, marriage certificate and proof of address and complete a 3 page form. The officer was helpful, however the outcome was that my wife, once she gets a job, has to then contact the department again when they will release a national insurance number.

I wonder why they don't issue one straight away?
Just curious really. :Erm:

lastlid
3rd February 2012, 10:41
Terpe, I don know. I clocked the fact that they asked her why she wanted one. To which she replied that she was looking for a job. Maybe it was because it will ensure she cant claim public funds, a kind of safeguard?

I am on the island on a workpermit as I am from the UK, so I dont know if that might be a reason but cant think why.