PDA

View Full Version : Kidnapping in the Philippines

Stevie
6th December 2011, 14:44
Just read this news story and surprised at the statement in it ...
"Kidnappings for ransom, often targeting foreigners, occur frequently in parts of the southern Philippines, where a Muslim separatist rebellion has endured for more than 40 years." ...

"http://globalnation.inquirer.net/20281/australian-kidnapped-in-philippines%E2%80%94military

Does anyone have experience of this? :crazy:

Englishman2010
6th December 2011, 14:55

Not personally:xxgrinning--00xx3:

I think there are many regulars on here who would say Mindanao isn't as bad as the press would have you believe. Of course, the SW region of Mindanao is an area where great care is needed. I haven't been there myself, but I know Tawi2 has spent a lot of time in that region. He will have a much better idea of what it is really like there.

mickcant
6th December 2011, 15:06
I spent 3 weeks mostly on my own at CAGAYAN DE ORO CITY in northern Mindanao
And went out every night enjoying the night life and general bustle of the place and apart from some stree beggers never saw any bother at all.
This was in 2008:xxgrinning--00xx3:
Mick.:)

RickyR
6th December 2011, 18:17
If you read all the advice, including the British FCO website, you'd be forgiven for believing that your life is in danger at all times in the Philippines. Mindanao covers a fairly large area, comprising many islands, and yes some areas are particularly prone to kidnapping (often of missionaries) on a fairly regular basis. The most recently reported is on 12th July two US citizens and a Philippine national were kidnapped from a resort on the island of Tictabon near the southern port city of Zamboanga.

The FCO reports:

We advise against all travel to south-west Mindanao and the Sulu archipelago because of ongoing terrorist and insurgent activity. We advise against all but essential travel to the remainder of Mindanao for the same reason. There are also ongoing clashes between the military and insurgent groups in the Sulu archipelago including Basilan, Tawi-Tawi and Jolo.

There is a threat from kidnapping in the Philippines, particularly in the southern Philippines. Kidnapping could occur anywhere, including on coastal and island resorts and dive boats and sites in the Sulu Sea

It is generally correct in that there are risks in the Philippines, and it could be anywhere, but certain very localised areas are particularly affected. Equally so, the UK and the US are on high levels of alert for terrorism on a regular basis so could also be considered dangerous at times.

It certainly hasn't put me off travelling, but I would be cautious in certain areas of Mindanao.

Terpe
6th December 2011, 18:21
Just read this news story and surprised at the statement in it ...
"Kidnappings for ransom, often targeting foreigners, occur frequently in parts of the southern Philippines, where a Muslim separatist rebellion has endured for more than 40 years." ...

"http://globalnation.inquirer.net/20281/australian-kidnapped-in-philippines%E2%80%94military

I've had no personal experience.
Spent time in Zamboanga and never had any issues.

I know Ian mentioned that one of our members, Tawi2 spends plenty of time in that area. He will tell you it's all safe, but imo he's rather too cavalier about the potential dangers in some areas for my tastes.

If you have some intention to visit areas around Davao there is no problem at all.

I really wouldn't suggest that anyone ventures to the areas where kidnapping is a known risk.

Englishman2010
6th December 2011, 18:32
Most people will tell you Davao and CDO are perfectly safe:xxgrinning--00xx3:

On my last visit to Ph I met a Dutch guy who was ex military, he'd lived in the Zamboanga area for 15 years or so. He also confirmed that the northern part of Mindanao is fairly safe but strongly advised against going into the autonomous muslim regions

grahamw48
6th December 2011, 19:51
Yes, it's the S.West and Sulu Islands that DO pose a risk to any foreigner (not the Davao area or the North).

There have been LOTS of kidnappings and murders over the years, and the US wouldn't have their Special Forces permanently based there if it wasn't a very dodgy area full of Abu Sayaf and MORO front muslim rebels, groups linked to Al Quaeda.

Terpe
6th December 2011, 19:57
..................but strongly advised against going into the autonomous muslim regions

I could tell a story about that.
I doubt any white foreigner would actually get past even the initial check points. :icon_lol::icon_lol:

Terpe
7th December 2011, 13:15
Most Embassies have travel warnings or advisories about the southern areas of Mindano in general and specifically the Sulu Archepelligo.

This Australian (ex-soldier) actually lived just 80 miles from Basilan Island, the known stronghold of the Abu Sayyaf and associated kidnap-for-ransom gangs.

If you really must live in such troubles areas, It's usually wise keeping as low a profile as is possible, and especially not to share too many personal details.

By all accounts it seems this guy was not only well known around the area, but it seems he was also a blogger with his own website

"...A website, which could not be immediately verified, advertised a shop run by Warren Rodwell and his Filipina wife in Ipil.
It linked to other sites posting photos and writings from Mr Rodwell travelling around the world."

I don't want to be either negative or an alarmist, but we all need to be aware of our environment no matter where we live.

Terpe
7th December 2011, 18:06
This news item actually divulges plenty of things and makes some interesting reading. (http://globalnation.inquirer.net/20459/kidnapped-aussie-turned-down-security-ignored-warnings-says-mayor)
Seems the local authorities had made efforts to help his security.

Piamed
7th December 2011, 18:23
There are some issues going on presently. I know there hae been issues around Marbel recently. This is a couple of hours from Gensan. We're going to Surigao shortly and although not anticipating issues, are taking some extra precaustions.

Tawi2
10th December 2011, 22:31
The aussie guy was grabbed in Ipil,which shot to fame back in the mid1990's as the town that was sacked and looted by abu sayyaf,its had a bit of a rep ever since,theres a chasm of difference Terpe twixt cavalier and being security conscious,I am always the latter and always switched on,I fully appreciate dangers and know my limitations,theres a friend of mine just gone to ARMM and I should be there in a couple of weeks,heres some typical ARMM checkpoints,the region isnt a tourist spot per'se so cant imagine many venturing there for the night life but while there are a couple of decent beaches the whole of south-east asia is littered in beaches and lots are in nicer areas,hope things end well for the aussie59585959

Tawi2
13th December 2011, 22:23
The Filam kid,I14 years old,who was kidnapped with his pinay mum and a pinoy relative down south just off Zambo 5 months ago escaped a few days back and his mum and the relative were released,no news on whether a randsom was paid though the family had a resort etc so I think maybe a palm was crossed with silver?:Erm:

Manila (AsiaNews/ Agencies) – A 14-year-old American teen, abducted in Mindanao five months ago by a terrorist group close to Abu Sayyaf, was able to escape from his captives. After two days wandering in the jungle without shoes, hungry and in shock, Kevin Lunsmann was found by residents of a village in Basilan province. After giving him something to eat, they handed him to Filipino authorities who flew him to Manila where he was turned over to US officials.

According to police, the youth was able to escape after he told his captors that he would take a bath in a stream. From there, he made a dash for freedom and followed a river down a mountain for two days.

“He was in fear so there was a bit of a chase before the villagers convinced him that they were friends," Senior Superintendent Philippines police Edwin de Ocampo. Exhausted, hungry and still stunned, the boy initially fled from the villagers, de Ocampo explained.

From Virginia (US), Kevin Lunsmann was abducted on 12 July together with his Filipino-American his mother and a cousin whilst holidaying with relatives on an island near Zamboanga City.

The mother was freed two months ago after she was dropped off by boat at a wharf on Basilan. The boy's cousin escaped last month when Filipino army forces managed to get near an Abu Sayyaf camp near Akbar town.

Predominantly Muslim, Mindanao has seen a rash of kidnappings for ransom by criminal gangs and armed groups linked to Abu Sayyaf, an Islamic terrorist group close to Al Qaeda.

For years, the group has also carried out attacks and abductions across the region. Its members are known for their penchant for beheading hostages when the ransom is not paid.

However, more and more kidnappers are common criminals attracted by the abduction business because of widespread poverty. The ransoms vary between 14,000 and 200,000 pesos for Filipinos and more than US$ 4,000,000 for foreigners.

Foreign missionaries working in Mindanao are the highest-risk group. In the past few years, 13 foreign missionaries have been abducted or killed, including two Italian priests from the Pontifical Institute for Foreign Missions (PIME), Fr Luciano Benedetti, abducted in 1998 and released after three months, and Fr Giancarlo Bossi, kidnapped in 2007 and released after two months.

Tawi2
13th December 2011, 22:37
Theres a forum member,Kermit who lives in Zambo,heres what he had to say about kidnappings in the local area,things havent changed much as I just found a post from him on another forum in which he has now bought his wife a fully automatic weapon for her truck just to be on the safe side :icon_lol: and has instructed her to use it should anything untoward appear to be about to happen :Erm:
http://filipinaroses.com/showthread.php/13667-kidnappings-in-zamboanga?highlight=

grahamw48
14th December 2011, 00:21
Let's hope they never fall out. :omg:

Stevie
14th December 2011, 21:41

I've heard of shotgun weddings :D

Sim11UK
15th December 2011, 00:41

She was shooting at him in the garden, when he was on here. He's a character Kermit. :icon_lol:

grahamw48
15th December 2011, 00:54
It was bad enough having to hide the knives from the ex. :cwm3:

Tawi2
15th December 2011, 14:23
She was shooting at him in the garden, when he was on here
She only had a revolver then :icon_lol: Now she has gone fully-auto :omg: spray-and-pray :cwm24: