PDA

View Full Version : 75 years of UK TV

Win2Win
29th November 2011, 21:00
School Reporter Amy visited Alexandra Palace, the first home of BBC TV to find out more about the history of the box.

Content from... (http://news.bbc.co.uk/go/rss/-/1/hi/school_report/student_reports/9642020.stm)

grahamw48
29th November 2011, 21:08
Another British claim to fame. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

300 years if you include all the repeats. :D

Englishman2010
30th November 2011, 09:38
75 years of TV, and most of what's been broadcast has been absolute garbage:icon_lol:

I have to admit I do have a soft spot for the Beeb and don't begrudge my licence fee, it's worth the fee for the natural history and travel/exploration/historical documentaries, Top Gear and Cbeebies:xxgrinning--00xx3: If it's available, I always watch BBC World when I'm travelling.

I never watch ITV and only watch C4 for the evening news and some of their documentaries.

grahamw48
30th November 2011, 11:49
'Never watch ITV'.

You sound like my dad. :laugher:

joebloggs
30th November 2011, 12:03
you beat me to it, 75 years of repeats :doh, i hope :censored:enders doesn't go on for 75yrs :cwm24::NEW5:

Englishman2010
30th November 2011, 12:03
'Never watch ITV'.

You sound like my dad. :laugher:

:icon_lol: It's complete garbage Graham, a never ending stream of adverts, rubbish reality TV and talent shows. I'm very sad really, I only watch TV if it's educational:Cuckoo:

joebloggs
30th November 2011, 14:21
I only watch TV if it's educational:Cuckoo:

so like little joe you watch 'Dora the explorer' to :xxgrinning--00xx3:

http://www.parteaz.co.uk/img/Dora%20the%20Explorer%20icon%20v200.jpg

Englishman2010
30th November 2011, 14:42
Yep, my daughter has a few Dora DVD's, she's learning how to count in Spanish and say "Hola" or "Buenas Dias, soy Dora":xxgrinning--00xx3:

Terpe
30th November 2011, 18:56
I remember the first TV we got.
It was a floor standing model in a huge walnut cabinet.

Now that set could only get BBC anyway. :)

grahamw48
30th November 2011, 19:01
I didn't see a TV until I was 7 years old, as we had been living in Malaya and there was no such thing out there. :D

I can remember the very first programme I watched after we arrived at Aunty's house...the owner of one of these amazing machines ... Popeye, and I've been a fan of his ever since. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

I can also remember listening to a whole range of programmes on BBC World Service though, when we were in Johor Bahru.

Englishman2010
30th November 2011, 20:05
Now that set could only get BBC anyway. :)

The good old days:xxgrinning, none of this rubbish TV with advert breaks that are longer than the show--00xx3:

Englishman2010
30th November 2011, 20:08
I didn't see a TV until I was 7 years old, as we had been living in Malaya and there was no such thing out there. :D

I can also remember listening to a whole range of programmes on BBC World Service though, when we were in Johor Bahru.

When I was in Brunei and East Malaysia earlier this year, I saw some of their English language TV news. It was very old school BBC style with presenters who had obviously been trained at the BBC school of speaking posh for news readers:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
30th November 2011, 20:14
Nowt wrong with that.:)

At least they taught kids how to speak correctly, unlike some of these ignorant bar steward presenters on telly now. :rolleyes:

Talking of the ads, reminds me of my son laughing at me when I'm sitting there shouting at the tv....

" Any chance of squeezing a :censored: programme in-between the adverts !!! ?" :cwm23:

:laugher:

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 00:44
75 years of British Television ... the last forty-five of them showing complete and utter tripe! :thumbsdown:

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 00:46
I don't think we HAD one until then Arthur...or a telephone. :icon_lol:

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 00:50
Dearie me :NoNo: ... it's enough to make the likes of poor John Logie Baird and Lord John Reith - eminent Scotsmen :Kilt::Kilt: BOTH - turn in their graves!!

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 01:17
I don't think we HAD one until then Arthur... :icon_lol:

... NOR my parents, Graham. :NoNo: Indeed :rolleyes: ... they asked me to choose between taking part in a school trip to Paris for 8 days - with a bunch of 4th year lassies from our French class - at Easter 1960 ... or forking out the sixty~odd quid it cost at that time for a TV. And ... needless to say ... :anerikke: ... since none of my pals intended going, I opted for the latter!

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 01:22
Hahaha I'd have taken the women also. :D

I think we got our first telly before Coronation Street, because I can remember watching the first episode (mother hooked ever since :NoNo:), but we went sometimes for years without one, and indeed I didn't get one myself until I was about 24.
Too busy out enjoying myself ! :)

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 01:46
:) Saturday nights on the box were invariably enjoyable back in the early '60s. :rolleyes: Real family entertainment! Starting off around teatime, there was 'Dixon of Dock Green ... followed by a Western. Next ... a half-decent variety show ... and finally, a good film - usually a thriller :olddude: - but ALWAYS "smut-free" (unlike nowadays!!)

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 01:54
Hahaha I'd have taken the women also. :D

Ah ... but I w're a shy lad, ;) y'see!

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 02:03
Rawhide ? :)

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 02:03
I think we got our first telly before Coronation Street, because I can remember watching the first episode (mother hooked ever since :NoNo:),

Aye ... must've been, Graham :yeahthat: ... Corrie's been on t' go for 51 years come the 16th of this month.

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 02:04
God I feel old. :cwm3:

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 02:14

Nah ... think it might've been 'Laramie' or summat on the BBC. :222: Rawhide, I'm sure, was on the [then] only commercial channel.

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 02:21

:) Ahh ... I see ... it was ME that was the "rawhide! Probably!

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 11:16
Maybe Wagon Train ? :D

http://img495.imageshack.us/img495/4445/stagecoach5fn.gif

Arthur Little
1st December 2011, 11:59
Maybe Wagon Train ? :D

http://img495.imageshack.us/img495/4445/stagecoach5fn.gif

D'you know, Graham :rolleyes: ... I think you're right!

Dedworth
1st December 2011, 12:28
I wonder if they can dumb it down any further than the level a lot of it has sunk to - Big Brother, Celebrity Jungle, X factor and so forth. It would save production costs if they just re-ran old childrens TV at peak hours and had premium rate phone ins so the saps could vote for their preferred Teletubbie

Terpe
1st December 2011, 15:44
I wonder if they can dumb it down any further than the level a lot of it has sunk to - Big Brother, Celebrity Jungle, X factor and so forth. It would save production costs if they just re-ran old childrens TV at peak hours and had premium rate phone ins so the saps could vote for their preferred Teletubbie

I must be living on another planet.
None of those programmes mean anything to me :Erm:

Bluebirdjones
1st December 2011, 15:55
My telly went on the blink a few years ago, and I never bothered to replace it.

Tell me, does Albert Tatlock still drink in the snug at the Rovers......
.... and are Bennie and Miss Diane still working at the Crossroads Motel ?

grahamw48
1st December 2011, 17:15
Sorry mate....hate to tell you this, but...:cwm3: