PDA

View Full Version : Computer wont start

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 12:30
I was hoping for some ideas on where to look at a problem with my sons computer.
When we switch on the fans start but that`s it, no beeps, just the fans running.

I am used to problem solving electrics on heating and plumbing systems and boiler circuitry so know my way around a multimeter, just not sure where to look.

We built our computers about 4 years ago.

Help:Erm:

joebloggs
18th November 2011, 14:19
try re-seating the video card, memory and if still nothing see if its possible to re-seat the processor (might be better just to give it a bit of a push, than take it off the systemboard)

if not swap the memory around if you have 2 sticks, disconnect the hard disk, dvd rom and remove all the other cards in the expansion slot leaving just the video card, try and power it on now ..

the mother board should only need a processor, ram and a video card to power on..

grahamw48
18th November 2011, 14:25
Aye, might just be a bit of muck in there.

The other week I fixed my wireless steering wheel for the xbox just by taking the thing apart, fiddling around with all the connections inside and then putting it back together again. :Erm:

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 15:19
try re-seating the video card, memory and if still nothing see if its possible to re-seat the processor (might be better just to give it a bit of a push, than take it off the systemboard)

if not swap the memory around if you have 2 sticks, disconnect the hard disk, dvd rom and remove all the other cards in the expansion slot leaving just the video card, try and power it on now ..

the mother board should only need a processor, ram and a video card to power on..

Tried all that Joe, except reseating the processor, will give that a go next, I think that will be under a heatsinc, even tried the usual bang on the sides.

My son said it had been playing up for a while but a quick restart normally started it off.
Are there any tests I can do to check the processor and motherboard?

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 15:20
Aye, might just be a bit of muck in there.

The other week I fixed my wireless steering wheel for the xbox just by taking the thing apart, fiddling around with all the connections inside and then putting it back together again. :Erm:

That`s the way I work Graham, it either makes or breaks:)

lordna
18th November 2011, 15:25
Have you tried the fuse in the plug? Any lights on the computer?
Try booting from a CD with Windows on it or maybe another op system.
...Do you get anything on the screen at all?

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 16:06
Basics are there Lordna, green power light on Motherboard and as I said the fans run:)

les_taxi
18th November 2011, 16:06
Motherboard knackered I'm guessing:bigcry:
Try try removing cmos battery and putting it back in but no beeps usually means bust motherboard.

andy222
18th November 2011, 16:24
Yep sounds like it to me too Les. Motherboard up the creek.

grahamw48
18th November 2011, 16:27
If the hard-drive is intact...not a total disaster. :)

I have 3 hard-drives plus an external on this old heap that I cobbled together 8 years ago. :icon_lol:

I bought my boy the flashy new laptop that I'm not allowed to use. :cwm3:

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 16:54
Found the Problem, put one stick of crucial 1gb from my computer and it fired up.

My son has a memory readout on his one that was showing 2046 of ram before it went dead so it would seem to be pretty unusual for both sticks to go at once.

Crucial used to have a life time guarantee so maybe we can get some replacements, otherwise its down to good old Dad:doh

Thanks all for your help:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
18th November 2011, 18:01
Glad you're up and running..and stress over. :xxgrinning--00xx3:

les_taxi
18th November 2011, 21:37
Good news better than replacing motherboard I had 2 go in 2 years:cwm23:

Pete/London
18th November 2011, 22:37
Good news better than replacing motherboard I had to go in 2 years:cwm23:

When we built the computers we used good components, Asus motherboard etc, and the only part that have given problems has been the ram. crucial replaced 2gb free of charge 2 years ago and when I rang customer service today
they again agreed to replace free of charge. Good support, although I was talking to someone in Egypt.

All the components we used came with at least 3 year warranties, and when I think back to buying Dell computers in the past they were charging fortunes for
extended warranties.:Erm: