PDA

View Full Version : Customs - Bringing Electrical Items To The Philippines

Moving Forward
4th November 2011, 10:33
Hello

I am a British citizen.

This Christmas I will be visiting the Philippines for the first time to see my girlfriend and meet her family. I wish to take some electrical items as gifts (XBOX 360, laptop, small computer & monitor, 2 portable dvd players, + 2 mp3 players). These are mainly used items. I have just found that these items may be taxed if I bring them into the country :doh Oh well at least I have found out in advance.

For those who have visited the Philippines what electrical items have you brought which were not taxed? I do not know how lenient customs are. If I were say bringing in my own laptop, smartphone, mp3 player for my personal use would this be taxed?

RickyR
4th November 2011, 10:57
Hi, if your bringing these with you in your baggage it shouldn't be a problem. I would recommend putting the expensive items inside your hand baggage if possible. Generally customs don't take an interest in westerners baggage, but occasionally if they really think your taking the xxxx your bag will appear on the conveyor belt with a white 'X' on it in chalk.

Englishman2010
4th November 2011, 11:04
Welcome to the forum:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Ricky's spot on:xxgrinning--00xx3: I've taken all sorts of new and used electrical items to the Phils as gifts and never been searched or questioned once in 9 visits.
It sounds like you're taking a fair amount of gear with you, be careful you don't exceed your baggage allowance. Airlines are becoming very strict on this. The last twice I've flown from Heathrow (Qatar and Cathay Pacific) they've made me take a few KG's out of my case and put it in my hand baggage. I've never had this problem in Birmingham (KLM and Emirates).
It's also worth noting what the standard baggage limits in economy are for each airline:

Qatar and Cathay 20kg
KLM/Air France 23kg
Emirates 30kg

I'm sure someone else can fill in the rest.

grahamw48
4th November 2011, 11:44
Can you visit me too please. :icon_lol:

I've taken every electrical item imaginable into the Phils over many years and never had a problem.

I agree that it's best to put as much as possible in your hand-baggage....firstly because it's less likely to get damaged or lost, but also because of security issues....easier to sort out on the X-ray machine in front of you than have your bag taken off the conveyor and ripped open for a look inside. :)

Moving Forward
4th November 2011, 11:45
Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I called the airline (SAUDI ARABIAN AIRLINES ) and my limits are 30kg checked in baggage and 7kg hand luggage.

I think I'll leave the cases for the games and dvds behind and put them in wallets.

I have also ordered some luggage scales.. I hope they are accurate!

I guess when I fill out the customs declaration on board the flights I won't declare anything and if checked will say it's for personal use .

Englishman2010
4th November 2011, 11:55
I guess when I fill out the customs declaration on board the flights I won't declare anything and if checked will say it's for personal use .

:xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3::xxgrinning--00xx3:;)

Terpe
4th November 2011, 16:18
Thanks for the welcome and replies.

I called the airline (SAUDI ARABIAN AIRLINES ) and my limits are 30kg checked in baggage and 7kg hand luggage.

I think I'll leave the cases for the games and dvds behind and put them in wallets.

I have also ordered some luggage scales.. I hope they are accurate!

As long as you're within 10% of the baggage allowance you should be OK. USUALLY, but depends on the airline.
You can carry a lot of stuff in pockets. (Cargo pants, Sports vests etc can help)
As others have said, don't take too many liberties and all is OK:xxgrinning--00xx3:

philuk
4th November 2011, 16:46
I have taken an Xbox for the kids in the phils, only problem i found was it only worked in black and white, we are pal, they are NTSC,
If there tv is a modern one it should auto switch, but older tv's cant

Moving Forward
31st December 2011, 13:26
Just got back. Had no problems with customs. Didn't declare anything. :)

Whoosh
26th February 2012, 10:35
What did you take, and did it all work?

Whoosh