1st November 2011, 17:15
Birmingham for me too.:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
1st November 2011, 17:38
I'll go to Brum too...if I HAVE to. :D

Englishman2010
1st November 2011, 17:42
I'll go to Brum too...if I HAVE to. :D

Brum's great for me. It's a 5 minute walk from my house to the railway station and £15.40 off peak return rail fare to Birmingham International station.....none of that paying £200 to park my car at the airport for 3 weeks rubbish:xxgrinning--00xx3: In fact if I drove it would cost me almost £15 in diesel without the car park fees. Getting from my front door to the terminal takes an hour and 10 minutes:xxgrinning--00xx3:

grahamw48
1st November 2011, 18:43
York's not a bad place to be for travel to most of the Airports.

We have the Pennine Express that goes straight into Manchester airport every half hour...around £40 return. About 1hour 30 mins.

I would NEVER leave a car of mine in ANY car park for 3 weeks, or even 3 days. :NoNo:

Englishman2010
1st November 2011, 18:59
York's not a bad place to be for travel to most of the Airports.

We have the Pennine Express that goes straight into Manchester airport every half hour...around £40 return. About 1hour 30 mins.

I would NEVER leave a car of mine in ANY car park for 3 weeks, or even 3 days. :NoNo:

That's pretty good, and saves a load of hassle:xxgrinning--00xx3:

If I'm feeling a bit flush, my local taxi firm are quite good for Brum, £68 return and it only takes half an hour in the car. East Midlands is nearer for me, only 20 minutes away, but they don't do any long haul routes and very few scheduled connections with major European airlines. It's all low cost or chartered flights to the Costa's out of EMA.

grahamw48
1st November 2011, 20:34
East Midlands, next to one of my favourite race tracks...Donington. - Was there a couple of months back watching the TVR challenge. :)

It always reminds me of that awful crash though, where the plane flew into the motorway embankment. :(

Sometimes I get the National coach (also comes through York) if going to Heathrow or Gatwick...dead cheap. It just depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. Hate spending money. lol :icon_lol:

On one occasion I even hitched back from Heathrow when the damned plane arrived at midnight and everything was closed. :rolleyes:

Took me 11 hours, me still in my Phils cotton clothes, carrying 30kgs and -1C with a freezing wind blowing. Thought I was going to die of cold :freezin:....but I'm a tough cookie. :D

subseastu
1st November 2011, 21:13
East Midlands, next to one of my favourite race tracks...Donington. - Was there a couple of months back watching the TVR challenge. :)

It always reminds me of that awful crash though, where the plane flew into the motorway embankment. :(

Sometimes I get the National coach (also comes through York) if going to Heathrow or Gatwick...dead cheap. It just depends on how much of a hurry I'm in. Hate spending money. lol :icon_lol:

On one occasion I even hitched back from Heathrow when the damned plane arrived at midnight and everything was closed. :rolleyes:

Took me 11 hours, me still in my Phils cotton clothes, carrying 30kgs and -1C with a freezing wind blowing. Thought I was going to die of cold :freezin:....but I'm a tough cookie. :D

I was on that motorway that night, luckily (for us, not them) it happened about an hour and a half after we passed that area on the way home.

For me brum airport is about 25min car ride so thats about £35 in local taxi £70!!!! if its from the airport in a black cab or £20 if my dad takes me:)

East mids is 10 min from my place, but as englishman says not alot goes out there really for getting to the phils.

stevewool
2nd November 2011, 05:10
funny how things can bring many of us together,my ex mother in law just managed to get past the plane before it hit, she was one of the many people that helped that night, i would travel to any airport if i could save money , its all part of the holiday to me

Englishman2010
2nd November 2011, 05:16
funny how things can bring many of us together,my ex mother in law just managed to get past the plane before it hit, she was one of the many people that helped that night, i would travel to any airport if i could save money , its all part of the holiday to me

It was a terrible tragedy, fortunately that type of event is very rare in the UK, although not so rare in other parts of the world:omg:

In the past I used to search for the lowest fare, and regularly travelled to India from Gatwick. But then I worked out how long it took to get to the airport and back, how much it cost me in fuel, wear and tear on my car, parking, over night hotels or taxi fares, and reckon that it's a minimum of £150, probably nearer £200 in extra charges. Therefore, even if a flight from Brum is £100 more, it is still actually cheaper, plus of course it's much easier to get to:xxgrinning--00xx3:

Dedworth
2nd November 2011, 05:17
Maybe the new aitline will be Quantasia

Qantas and the Asiafication of Australia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14573494

stevewool
2nd November 2011, 05:18
i like birmingham airport so nice better then the crap east mids anyday

Englishman2010
2nd November 2011, 05:22
i like birmingham airport so nice better then the crap east mids anyday

I like Brum too, it does everything I need and isn't a sprawling maze like Gatwick or Heathrow. I also like East Mids, I regularly use it for short haul flights to Northern Europe and the med. There isn't much there, but it's compact and efficient. Coventry airport was was the best, it was basically a portacabin and a wooden hut, like a lot of Filipino airports, only much colder:icon_lol: It's a shame the locals objected and Thomson (TUI) shut it down. It was 15 mins down the M69 for me.

stevewool
2nd November 2011, 05:23
the good old days:icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol::icon_lol:

Englishman2010
2nd November 2011, 05:28
Maybe the new aitline will be Quantasia

Qantas and the Asiafication of Australia

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-pacific-14573494

I was in Oz way back in 1991, and even then the Aussies were complaining about the Japanese buying up all of the land and building golf courses and hotels for wealthy Japanese businessmen. I guess, nowadays it's the Chinese who are buying up the land for minerals and mining. The same thing happened here though, most of our great British engineering and manufacturing companies were bought by Yanks, Swiss, Germans and French.....even the Spanish got in on the act buying BA, BAA, O2 and Abbey National/Alliance and Leicester:cwm23: How can we allow a basketcase economy like Spain buy up blue chip British companies:cwm23: What next? will we allow the Greeks to run our remaining banks:laugher:

Dedworth
2nd November 2011, 05:35
What next? will we allow the Greeks to run our remaining banks:laugher:

Yes - if the likes of Clegg and Millbore have anything to do with it :angry:

Englishman2010
2nd November 2011, 05:39
Yes - if the likes of Clegg and Millbore have anything to do with it :angry:

That could be a good thing for us working folk:Erm: The Greek Gov't have set a precedent, borrow way more than you can afford, then negotiate a 50% reduction in the debt when you realise you can't make the repayments. I think I'll start looking for a new Lamborghini and million pound mansion and borrow the money from Greece:D